Discuss....To tip with Cash or Not?

SmedonSeas

• SmedonSeas changed the title to Discuss....To tip with Cash or Not?

Many threads on this topic.  Be prepared for a very wide range of answers.

There is no room service "bill".  If you are planning on tipping, bring cash.  Pursers' desk will be able to provide you with ones and fives in change (no coins).

3 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

There is no room service "bill".  If you are planning on tipping, bring cash.  Pursers' desk will be able to provide you with ones and fives in change (no coins).

Don't we still have to sign for the food and add the tip on the bill?

16 minutes ago, SmedonSeas said:

What do you think? Should we tip with cash when the Servers deliver room service, or should we just put the tip on the room service bill?

Always have some $1s and $5s on hand.  There is no bill to sign ... different crew deliver your room service items.  We always hand them a few singles plus some individually wrapped chocolates.  They are most appreciative.  

• Like 2

Just now, deliver42 said:

I, for one, always tip anything extra in cash. It really is appreciated because it doesn't have to be split.

Have you found that you get better service by tipping with cash?

14 minutes ago, SmedonSeas said:

Yes...sometimes the same "person" show up.  Don't know if that is a coincidence or by choice.  Some just bring the tray in.  Others will set up the food for you.  One poor guy had to come to my cabin three times in order for room service to get my mini-bar exchange correct.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Yes...sometimes the same "person" show up.  Don't know if that is a coincidence or by choice.  Some just bring the tray in.  Others will set up the food for you.  One poor guy had to come to my cabin three times in order for room service to get my mini-bar exchange correct.  

I'm hoping for the same person to come each time. Do you think if we tip well, the sam person will come? 

7 minutes ago, SmedonSeas said:

I'm hoping for the same person to come each time. Do you think if we tip well, the sam person will come? 

With the new Medallion App it's a crap shoot who will show up. I even had a guy deliver a drink to my cabin that I had actually purchased, paid for, and consumed maybe 10 minutes earlier up on Lido deck. I just accepted it anyway as it didn't cost anything extra but it was "odd" to say the least. We ordered things from room service several times and got different people.

2 hours ago, SmedonSeas said:

What do you think? Should we tip with cash when the Servers deliver room service, or should we just put the tip on the room service bill?

Neither, it's included in the auto daily tip. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SmedonSeas said:

Better service tipping in cash?  No.  Great service with a smile always.  I guess I don't get what your expectation of better service could be??  Your order delivered before others that were ahead of you?  Additional items brought but not ordered?  I'm genuinely curious.

I always have their tip waiting on the little table in the entry way they are extremely busy delivering orders all over the ship and especially with Covid still around I'm sure they don't want to spend any more time than necessary in someone's cabin.

• Like 5

For room service, I usually hand them a couple of dollars.  I mean, we try to put it out the night before, and it depends how sleepy i am when they knock.  Sometimes, my eyes aren't even open, and I just point, so I don't know who's delivering... but will still try to remember to give them something.  We only order in the morning not in the middle of the day.  

19 hours ago, boltnut55 said:

For room service, I usually hand them a couple of dollars.  I mean, we try to put it out the night before, and it depends how sleepy i am when they knock.  Sometimes, my eyes aren't even open, and I just point, so I don't know who's delivering... but will still try to remember to give them something.  We only order in the morning not in the middle of the day.  

I love getting breakfast to the mini suite. One of the best parts of it. Yeah, I like giving the server a smile by giving them 5 bucks. 

• Like 3

On 5/30/2022 at 4:54 PM, Thrak said:

With the new Medallion App it's a crap shoot who will show up. I even had a guy deliver a drink to my cabin that I had actually purchased, paid for, and consumed maybe 10 minutes earlier up on Lido deck. I just accepted it anyway as it didn't cost anything extra but it was "odd" to say the least. We ordered things from room service several times and got different people.

lol, I guess with the Drink package..it might be fun getting double the drinks 🙂 Thanks for the great input.

On 5/30/2022 at 4:54 PM, Thrak said:

I had a server chase me all over since I had ordered delivery to "my current location" which at the time was our stateroom, I'm thinking the drink will come there.  But I then went up to the buffet to get some snacks, not realizing that My Current Location would change.  Back in the cabin I get a call asking if I'm on Lido...

The app has 2 choices for delivery location:

My Current location

My Stateroom

If your current location is your stateroom, the 2 choices look very much the same.  I made sure to make the right choice from then on.

• Like 2

On 5/30/2022 at 6:59 PM, SmedonSeas said:

When I call for room service I always give a $5.00 tip. When I call from that time on My order comes right away and most of the time it’s the same person. They always say thank you Mr.Tony with a smile.

Tony

• Like 1

On 5/31/2022 at 12:12 AM, cr8tiv1 said:

Why no coins if anyone is tipping in £s or €s the lowest note is a 5 and £5 is more than $5 so can add up if you use room service a lot ( we don’t but just interested) 

7 hours ago, ChimneyTenders said:

Delivered ASAP and sometimes with extra adds

How does the person making up the order know that you give a tip, and why would they care, as they don't get the tip anyway. And the orders are processed as they arrive.

You are deluded if you think your tips give you any priority or extras when it comes to room service.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, amajaa said:

Why no coins if anyone is tipping in £s or €s the lowest note is a 5 and £5 is more than $5 so can add up if you use room service a lot ( we don’t but just interested) 

IIRC, I have received 1 and 2 Euro coins on a Princess ship in the past (as in changing a Euro note).  If you bring your own coins, I have no doubt the crew would happily accept them.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

When I call for room service I always give a $5.00 tip. When I call from that time on My order comes right away and most of the time it’s the same person. They always say thank you Mr.Tony with a smile.

Tony

How to Find the Perfect GIF: 10 Must-Try Websites

• Like 1
  • Haha 1