Tipping for Room Service

2 minutes ago, SeattleAl said:

I see on a Compass that has been posted that all room service is now contactless - the food is left outside your door. How then is tipping done?

It has not been contactless since late last year. It is delivered just as it was pre shutdown.

2 minutes ago, Hutcha said:

They are included in your pre paid grats. If they are not doing extra, why pay them extra?

They bring what you ordered in a reasonable amount of time,  slipping then a couple of $ ain't gonna break your piggy bank.  Late or not exactly what you expected, same as anywhere else, no tip or just a penny.😉

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Hutcha said:

They are included in your pre paid grats. If they are not doing extra, why pay them extra?

Completely disagree with this attitude !!! :classic_ohmy:

• Like 8

I have no problem with a small tip. From what you folks are saying the current Cruise Compass on Quantum is incorrect and the delivery is not contactless. That makes tipping easy. I just didn't know what to do if only left outside the door.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Hutcha said:

Room service is not included in prepaid gratuities, and the extra is they are bringing food to your cabin, so you don’t have to get up and go get your own food.

• Like 12

14 minutes ago, SeattleAl said:

I have no problem with a small tip. From what you folks are saying the current Cruise Compass on Quantum is incorrect and the delivery is not contactless. That makes tipping easy. I just didn't know what to do if only left outside the door.

It is very rare for them to just knock and leave food outside your door.     If they do, then no tip is the obvious answer.   

5 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

Room service is not included in prepaid gratuities, and the extra is they are bringing food to your cabin, so you don’t have to get up and go get your own food.

Still, for anything other than breakfast, they do add an 18% tip. When I'm charged a 20% service fee in a restaurant for a group, I don't add a tip on top of that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, SeattleAl said:

Even when we sailed and it was contactless they never left it and walked away. They always knocked had it on a cart in front of your cabin door and you picked up the tray from the cart. Always easy to tip for this extra service.

Edited by Ashland
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Seville2Cabo said:

Every time we have had room service, the knock and hand you the trays outside the door.  Easy to tip.  They just don't come in your cabin

That isn't always the case.  We just stayed in a suite on Quantum and the room service guy insisted on bringing the food into the cabin and putting it on the dining table.

5 minutes ago, SeattleAl said:

Still, for anything other than breakfast, they do add an 18% tip. When I'm charged a 20% service fee in a restaurant for a group, I don't add a tip on top of that.

Not if you're staying in a GS or up.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SeattleAl said:

I never use room service, so I was thinking more about the Continental breakfast that there is no charge. And if I order room service with a charge, giving them a couple of bucks is not going to send me to the poor house, and could greatly help them.

Can I just say how excited I am for a tipping thread..Thank you 😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Hutcha said:

I'm guessing you're just trolling.  That being said, you're well on your way to get coal in your stocking...

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

That isn't always the case.  We just stayed in a suite on Quantum and the room service guy insisted on bringing the food into the cabin and putting it on the dining table.

Same on the Harmony 

• Like 1

I remember back when room service was always free - no service charges or gratuities included.  I can't remember how it was worded, but when the cruise line described room service options, they indicated that the crew member delivering it should be tipped.  I think it's still appropriate to tip something even that they have now added fees and gratuities.  

• Like 1