Masks required onboard RCCL ships now...?

1 hour ago, NavyCruiser said:

Just found out that some Princess & HAL ships going to Alaska now require masks indoors.

Any news if RCCL ships require them now, esp those going to Alaska...?

Thanks,

Just off the Quantum on Monday. Masks optional. 

There is COVID on every cruise. Folks travel through packed airports, fly without masks and pick up COVID. Then hop on a cruise ship and start to exhibit symptoms about 3/4 way through the cruise.  

Nothing special about Alaska except folks tend to spend more time indoors. And the ships are full. We had 4050 passengers on the Quantum last week (4180 double occupancy capacity) with 750ish kids, some/many unvaccinated. Many want to blame the cruise, but a lot is coming from passenger's inbound travel to the embarkation port. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Just off the Quantum on Monday. Masks optional. 

There is COVID on every cruise. Folks travel through packed airports, fly without masks and pick up COVID. Then hop on a cruise ship and start to exhibit symptoms about 3/4 way through the cruise.  

Nothing special about Alaska except folks tend to spend more time indoors. And the ships are full. We had 4050 passengers on the Quantum last week (4180 double occupancy capacity) with 750ish kids, some/many unvaccinated. Many want to blame the cruise, but a lot is coming from passenger's inbound travel to the embarkation port. 

We just got off Symphony of the Seas and there are tons of people, including my group of 10 that basically all got tested positive for covid. May 21st cruise. 

On Mariner right now in Caribbean. No masks. Seen maybe 10 people total all week onboard wearing masks out of total 2000 plus pax. Feel sorry for crew having to wear those darned things. No social distancing either but lots of reminders to “washy washy” when going in to eat in any of the restaurants. Also full elevators but no one seems to care. Life is back to normal.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, LaCal said:

There should be in at least Elevators and areas that are very crowded 

Masks remain optional under the current approved protocols.

Edited by bucfan2
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, LaCal said:

Apparently most people on board don’t think so. Except for the crew, life is back to normal. Haven’t heard of anyone sick and we still have 4 days to go.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, LaCal said:

Who would police the elevators and won't all parts of Royal ships be crowded when back to full numbers?

7 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Not for passengers.  They are required for all Royal Caribbean personnel.

Just wanted to make sure you saw my reply to you on your last thread...you saved us $600....so thank you very much!!!!!!!!

8 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Many want to blame the cruise, but a lot is coming from passenger's inbound travel to the embarkation port. 

but we wouldn't have gotten covid if we didn't go on the cruise last week. The crew was encouraging people to engage in activities ignoring all social distancing recommendations, in close proximity,  and with the 99.9% of unmasked passengers, many of them sick - it didn't matter that we masked and took other precautions.

The sales on the promenade were reminiscent of Black Fridays at Walmart...

1 hour ago, Diver2014 said:

Apparently most people on board don’t think so. Except for the crew, life is back to normal. Haven’t heard of anyone sick and we still have 4 days to go.

our neighbors were carted away to quarantine on Day 5 of 8. We came down with symptoms the day after disembarkation.

6 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

but we wouldn't have gotten covid if we didn't go on the cruise last week. The crew was encouraging people to engage in activities ignoring all social distancing recommendations, in close proximity,  and with the 99.9% of unmasked passengers, many of them sick - it didn't matter that we masked and took other precautions.

If any one is worried about getting sick, perhaps it’s too soon for you to be cruising. All I’m saying is people are going about their normal lives on board and no one seems to care about covid or noro. The pool was packed yesterday for the belly flop contest. Tonight is lobster night in the MDR. Normal pre covid attitudes . Finally!

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, Diver2014 said:

If any one is worried about getting sick, perhaps it’s too soon for you to be cruising.

well, I learned it the hard way last week.

When we sailed back in November on Harmony, everyone wore masks, nobody got sick, we didn't hear coughing and sneezing, so, happily, I booked the May cruise, only to get covid on it. We still enjoyed ourselves, but I was stressed out because nobody wore masks and everyone coughed and sneezed. And I was right to stress over it.

4 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

well, I learned it the hard way last week.

When we sailed back in November on Harmony, everyone wore masks, nobody got sick, we didn't hear coughing and sneezing, so, happily, I booked the May cruise, only to get covid on it. We still enjoyed ourselves, but I was stressed out because nobody wore masks and everyone coughed and sneezed. And I was right to stress over it.

November was pre-omicron and the seasonality waves of Covid in general. There is a difference between November and now

14 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

When we sailed back in November on Harmony, everyone wore masks, nobody got sick, we didn't hear coughing and sneezing, so, happily, I booked the May cruise, only to get covid on it. 

THat is not a valid conclusion.  Back in November, Omicron had not hit yet.  You would have likely been exposed to Delta, and if you had already been infected with COVID (and many people had been by that time), between those antibodies and the vaccine, mask or not, you'd have been immune.  But with Omicron, it's much more transmissible and it seems that vaccines and natural immunity are of little benefit.  The good news is that it's not putting people in the hospital and rarely causing deaths - it seems to not even be as bad as the flu in terms of danger.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LaCal said:

We have been avoiding elevators since pre-covid as it is. We take the stairs all the time, great exercise.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

All of which we avoided on our May 14th Allure. Personal responsibility goes a long way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Big_G said:

All of which we avoided on our May 14th Allure. Personal responsibility goes a long way.

so did we. I glanced at it from the 8th deck. It was crazy.

But we did go to shows and ate in MDR and buffet... We put the mask back on the moment we got up from the buffet table to get more food... Wore plastic gloves to handle public utensils. We took many precautions, but, alas, they weren't enough, if no one else is taking the same precautions... We could have spent the entire cruise on the balcony and have room service, but why cruise at all if that's all we do?

2 minutes ago, Big_G said:

Yes, I fully agree. Personal Responsibility. 

1. if you are at high risk for Covid, cruising may not be the best vacation option right now

2. If you do choose to cruise, maintaining distance from fellow cruisers is more effective than masking. Avoid elevators, avoid indoor dining, avoid indoor shows, be outdoors as much as possible

3. And if masking makes you feel less anxious then go for it.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

so did we. I glanced at it from the 8th deck. It was crazy.

But we did go to shows and ate in MDR and buffet... We put the mask back on the moment we got up from the buffet table to get more food... Wore plastic gloves to handle public utensils. We took many precautions, but, alas, they weren't enough, if no one else is taking the same precautions... We could have spent the entire cruise on the balcony and have room service, but why cruise at all if that's all we do?

so you ate indoors with 100s of unmasked passengers who were spreading virus into the air you breathed. 

And you really think that being masked to get more food while you spend the majority of your time unmasked while dining indoors is safe and effective? 

The minute you saw everyone coughing and hacking, if you were really serious about protecting yourself from Covid, you would have avoided indoor dining and shows. Avoided elevators. And you know in the shows in dark theaters even when there were mask requirements, people were removing their masks because enforcement is not feasible

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Diver2014 said:

If any one is worried about getting sick, perhaps it’s too soon for you to be cruising. All I’m saying is people are going about their normal lives on board and no one seems to care about covid or noro. The pool was packed yesterday for the belly flop contest. Tonight is lobster night in the MDR. Normal pre covid attitudes . Finally!

Fine if you don't need a negative test to fly home and also if cruise is less than 7 days. The longer you are on board the more chance of catching it and being quarantined in your cabin. 

Personally with the cruise ships now at full capacity I would be happy to see masks in the theatres and anywhere there's close contact for more than 20 mins. For instance, space the dinning tables out a bit

• Like 1