Covid Nightmare Wonder

*Let me first start off by stating that covid is bound to happen and by cruising one takes the risk of contracting the virus. This post is no one lashing out at the fact that I caught covid but rather the way it has been handled*

From my perspective those who test positive (I was contact traced) you are not looked at despite what ever they say. I tested positive on Day 4 and Guest Services told me to isolate in my room as I tested positive with my cabin mate who was negative for 15 HOURS. I’m not asking to be relocated immediately, but in a timely manner would’ve been nice. My cabin mate was forced to sleep on the balcony in high winds despite the captain advising people from using their balconies and outdoor decks. 

I was told by Guest Services that would call and tell me the next steps about what to do, we’ll that never came as they just said “we are contact tracing.” On Day 5 I was finally moved to an isolation room, which happens to be right underneath the Attic. What a great idea to put all the tired and sick people under the nightclub which blasts music (everything seems to be louder on Wonder than previous cruises). 

To make matters worse when we mentioned these issues to Guest Services they acted in a very demoralizing manner as if it was our decision to take steps to mitigate the spread of covid. I understand covid is inevitable in todays world, but at least believe the customer and don’t put on a fake smile.

I’m just hoping for some compensation for how the whole situation was handled. I’m just writing from my experiences, as I hope everyone who tests positive in the future as a better experience than I did. If anyone has had any similar experiences I would love to hear! Have a happy and healthy summer 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

You do get a prorated refund on the cruisefare so rcl is taking care of you on their time but you are posting to complain and receive additional compensation. Good luck with that.

You were moved to isolation within 24 hours .. if your cabin mate didnt show positive for 15 hours he was already positive. It just doesnt show up immediately. 

Sorry they put you below a nightclub. Maybe this would be a good idea for them to look at relocating the isolation area. How much compensation do you want for this idea for rcl? I get it, it's a noisy area. Others complain service is slow. My last cruises were very short staffed, it also took 2 hours for some dinners in Mdr. 

So far the worst is a noisy location? I do hope you feel better. Be glad it took a extra night to move you to this noisy location. I hope you dont get really sick, and covid is just a positive test. Maybe post more information on your situation as people do want to know how they will be taken care of. Good luck. 

Do you have free wifi and can you order from pay restaurants for free? What have they offered besides prorated cruisefare?

• Like 2

I truly hope things get better for you.

However, when you post (and maybe say) things like my cabin mate was forced to sleep on the balcony in high winds you are going to lose sympathy.  There are other options just not ones your cabin mate selected.  So that starts a discussion that is not going to be productive.

Keep it simple.  Highlight the lack of communication, delays, noisy cabin....  Also know what you want as compensation - extra OBC on top of the prorated credit??

Good luck.

Edited by happy cruzer
  • Like 6

57 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

You do get a prorated refund on the cruisefare so rcl is taking care of you on their time but you are posting to complain and receive additional compensation. Good luck with that.

You were moved to isolation within 24 hours .. if your cabin mate didnt show positive for 15 hours he was already positive. It just doesnt show up immediately. 

Sorry they put you below a nightclub. Maybe this would be a good idea for them to look at relocating the isolation area. How much compensation do you want for this idea for rcl? I get it, it's a noisy area. Others complain service is slow. My last cruises were very short staffed, it also took 2 hours for some dinners in Mdr. 

So far the worst is a noisy location? I do hope you feel better. Be glad it took a extra night to move you to this noisy location. I hope you dont get really sick, and covid is just a positive test. Maybe post more information on your situation as people do want to know how they will be taken care of. Good luck. 

Do you have free wifi and can you order from pay restaurants for free? What have they offered besides prorated cruisefare?

I guess it’s not as bad as it could be. The only compensation I was really looking for was the dining package (prorated of course) and for (WiFi). They do give WiFi but given that I had purchased it already they wouldn’t give a refund. Also I am able to only order from the room service menu not the specialty restaurants. It’s frustrating when you when you pay for both of these things and can’t use them or Royal is not making their refunds as promised. 

Other than the lack of communication and occasional noise I commend the staff for being as prompt and polite.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

However, when you post (and maybe say) things like my cabin mate was forced to sleep on the balcony in high winds you are going to lose sympathy.  There are other options just not ones your cabin mate selected.  So that starts a discussion that is not going to be productive.

Keep it simple.  Highlight the lack of communication, delays, noisy cabin....  Also know what you want as compensation - extra OBC on top of the prorated credit??

Good luck.

I don’t mean to be a smart ass but where else are they supposed to sleep when Guest service tells you to isolate and for cabin mates to keep their distance. The sofa was already being used so sleeping a foot away was not going to be beneficial. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

Good luck.

Room service from the specialty restaurants...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, billslowsky said:

Room service from the specialty restaurants...

I mean they originally did say that we would be able to do it, so if not that’s fine. I would just prefer that the dining package is refunded in that case. It just seems that there is miscommunication on both sides at this point. Hopefully as the cruise goes on more information will become clear.

I understand your frustration, I also tested positive with covid on a recent sailing and communication is not good at all.  If you have paid for a dining package that you can't use now, they should refund it.  Specialty restaurants don't typically do room service and definitely wouldn't to the isolation cabins.  I would keep at guest services and do not leave the ship until you have everything in writing in regards to promised refunds and further isolation reimbursement.  I also asked for a copy of my PCR test, just in case I needed to get a certificate of recovery for future travel.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Cruiseenthusiast101 said:

I don’t mean to be a smart ass but where else are they supposed to sleep when Guest service tells you to isolate and for cabin mates to keep their distance. The sofa was already being used so sleeping a foot away was not going to be beneficial. 

Did you have three people in the room if the sofa was already being used?

Your cabin mates as well as you could have used masks inside the stateroom while you waited to be moved.

Sorry you caught Covid.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cruiseenthusiast101 said:

Some options:

1) if cabin mate is not quarantined, the cabin mate could sleep in a public area which might have a been good because it would have been noticed and you may have gotten quicker action on a new cabin.

2) Having been a very similar situation with a partner sick with covid,  I choose to sleep about 6 feet away (i.e. social distance) on the floor to be there if needed.  No balcony or window to prop open either.

3)  Cabin mate could wear a N95 mask, social distance and take catnaps.  People sometimes do when caring for someone ill.

I don't know your exact situation but expecting guest services to solve your problems or anyone else is problematic.  I did not offer advice for the illness part because I don't know you or the details.  Just tried to help with the communication part.  No emotion or anger, short and to the point might be best.

53 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Yes, they absolutely do isolate you if you test positive for influenza.  Both my DH and I were quarantined on Anthem due to an influenza outbreak.

maybe I misread but wasnt renee on allure able to order from specialty restaurants? 

10 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

maybe I misread but wasnt renee on allure able to order from specialty restaurants? 

You would have to ask her.  Only thing I saw that she was able to get was the upcharge filet and lobster tail that is on the menu in the MDR.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruiseenthusiast101 said:

Or, sleep a foot away and assume your cabin mate was already infected, or, was exposed but had immunity and would not get infected.  It's really time to stop panicking over a positive COVID test unless the people involved have high risk factors, and those people shouldn't be on a cruise ship.

2 hours ago, Cruiseenthusiast101 said:

I mean they originally did say that we would be able to do it, so if not that’s fine. I would just prefer that the dining package is refunded in that case. It just seems that there is miscommunication on both sides at this point. Hopefully as the cruise goes on more information will become clear.

I put all my charges on AMEX.  If they refused to credit me for the loss of use of UDP, I'd call AMEX and dispute the charges.  

• Like 8

I agree you should get a prorated refund on the dining package since you can't use it. Seems like you should not have to jump through hoops to get that. WiFi you are probably using it more had you not been isolated. It would be a nice jesture, but I wouldn't push for that.

• Like 1

Sad to hear you contracted COVID-19.  Not sure  what you expected to happen. But nothing wrong with being initially  confined to cabin.  And while under attic might not be an ideal  spot, most likely given the # cruisers on board, that's where the empty cabins were. Surely you weren't hoping  for an upgrade.  Why, if 2 in a cabin was sofa already  occupied?

Could  guest services give you a cot or roll away bed? Did you or cabinmate ask?

You or your cabin mate might not be aware, but the supposed 6 feet safe distance  was just pulled out of thin air by the CDC in early days. Nothing scientific  behind it. A N95 type mask would have worked for both of you.

Be blessed  you did not suffer severe symptoms and hospitalization. 

43 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

You would have to ask her.  Only thing I saw that she was able to get was the upcharge filet and lobster tail that is on the menu in the MDR.  

that would be nice, assuming I'm not too sick to want to eat. Havent had covid yet so not sure how I'd feel. 

I think part of the allure of specialty dining is the service in a nicer atmosphere than the MDR.  If it were me, I would not order anything from specialty restaurants because it is not going to taste the same at room temperature anyway and I wouldn’t want to risk giving them an excuse to not refund the UDP.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Cruiseenthusiast101 said:

O.K. There are always options, but you chose to do something "not smart". There was zero expectation for someone to sleep outside. Zero. Nada. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, firefly333 said:

I didn’t because I didn’t have the UDP. I was offered a filet mignon and lobster after I was basically called a liar. She couldn’t do enough for me when it was discovered I didn’t lie.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

If I recall correctly she said it came from Chops. I wasn’t charged for it.

• Like 2

@Cruiseenthusiast101 Are you still on the ship? Talk to GS about the refund for the internet. I had already paid for mine and was reimbursed in a day or two. You will also get partially reimbursed for the cruise. That won’t happen on the ship, it will take a little longer. I can’t help with the dining package since I didn’t have it. I don’t see why you wouldn’t be able to order from the restaurants if you have the package.

Sorry you ended up with covid and are in a noisy room. How many more days do you have left on your cruise?

Edited by ReneeFLL
  • Like 1