Just an FYI (NOT a thread/debate about dress code)

Dreamer333

Just a heads up that on my recent Caribbean Princess cruise I saw a man possibly turned away at the dining room for wearing shorts.

Disclaimer: I say "possibly" because I don't know if it was the maitre'd or another passenger that told the gentlemen that shorts aren't allowed, but he left the front of the line and went back to his cabin to change. I saw a few other men who were in line do the same as the word spread.

Again, I'm NOT saying that it was a Princess employee who enforced the dress code (In all my years of cruising I've ALWAYS seen shorts in the dining rooms and I don't recall seeing anyone turned away until now), but just wanted to give men a heads up to bring a pair of pants JUST IN CASE.

(PLEASE don't make this thread one of the gazillions we already have about the dress code, as this is intended to be just an FYI)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Also happened to my DH.  It was mandated by maitre’d.   He had “ dress” shorts and collared shirt.  Ironically, was onCaribbean Princess in Nov and wasn’t enforced, so packed accordingly.  Luckily he did have long pants with him

17 minutes ago, Dreamer333 said:

Just a heads up that on my recent Caribbean Princess cruise I saw a man possibly turned away at the dining room for wearing shorts.

Disclaimer: I say "possibly" because I don't know if it was the maitre'd or another passenger that told the gentlemen that shorts aren't allowed, but he left the front of the line and went back to his cabin to change. I saw a few other men who were in line do the same as the word spread.

Again, I'm NOT saying that it was a Princess employee who enforced the dress code (In all my years of cruising I've ALWAYS seen shorts in the dining rooms and I don't recall seeing anyone turned away until now), but just wanted to give men a heads up to bring a pair of pants JUST IN CASE.

(PLEASE don't make this thread one of the gazillions we already have about the dress code, as this is intended to be just an FYI)

I’ve seen it many times over the years.

It does state in several places, shorts are not allowed in the MDR.

Our March 21 Caribbean Princess embarkation lunch, the hostess at the MDR  reminded men that shorts in the MDR were only acceptable at dinner in MDR first and last evening of cruise.  We were in line for awhile and she reminded any guy in shorts.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, kabmab said:

Our March 21 Caribbean Princess embarkation lunch, the hostess at the MDR  reminded men that shorts in the MDR were only acceptable at dinner in MDR first and last evening of cruise.  We were in line for awhile and she reminded any guy in shorts.  

Now that you say that, it may have indeed been the hostess.

1 hour ago, PacnGoNow said:

It does state in several places, shorts are not allowed in the MDR.

Yes, we are (mostly) all aware of this. This thread isn't a debate, just a heads up that it was recently enforced.

As a seasoned Princess passenger, this was a new experience for me and I just wanted to share to remind men to bring a pair of pants even if they've eaten in the dining rooms countless times in shorts, because they MAY be turned away.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It happened to a passenger on one of our cruises. Given the way things have been going I'm somewhat surprised to hear of the "dress code" being enforced but it doesn't upset me at all.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Dreamer333 said:

We are just off the Island Princess after an 18 day crossing and the no shorts rule was never enforced in the MDR.  We were shocked on Formal Night it was allowed in Club Class.  The last several cruises we were on it seems the wait staff was so overwhelmed with Dine My Way that the last thing they had time to do was enforce a dress code.

Unless it was first night when passengers may not have gotten their luggage , I have never seen men or women in shorts in the MDR. If it wasn’t a Princess employee I can’t imagine who would have reminded the man on the usual way of dressing. Besides the wait staff shouldn’t be better dressed than the dinners . LOL

That happened me on the Regal a little over 3 years ago.  I just plain forgot.  Not a big deal. Though I can't remember why I was wearing shorts on a Baltic cruise.
Though I teased that hostess when we were on the Regal, again, for a Caribbean cruise.  "I remember you ... you're the one that threw me out because I was wearing shorts when we were in (whatever port it was.)"  She was apologetic, until I assured her I was only teasing. 😁

2 hours ago, Fishboy1947 said:

Are capris acceptable for women?  

On formal nights they would be a bit unusual I should think, but not at all on regular nights.  Women seem to have a lot more leeway in dress than the men (albeit the no shorts rule applies to both genders).  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fishboy1947 said:

Absolutely!  Any night, any time!  You decide what is comfortable for you!

There are very classy capris now a days, so they are suitable even on nights designated as ,” dress to impress”.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2022 at 2:34 PM, ZoeyVictoria said:

It was enforced on the Caribbean Princess on the May 28 sailing, a polite reminder that shorts were allowed on the first and last nights only.

That's the one I was on too when I saw it happen. I do believe it was the hostess giving gentle reminders.

On 6/14/2022 at 7:40 PM, Fishboy1947 said:

Yes. And to add to my original post, the "no shorts" was directed to men, not women. I saw women with nice shorts (or shorts jumpers) being allowed in.

• Like 1