Looks like you are giving up your rights.

mikewomb

It does not appear this is new since is was last updated in 2020. It seems common sense that Celebrity would be able to remove you if you violate the law or Celebrity policies or procedures. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, mikewomb said:

This is very interesting to read and is new on Celebrity’s page. You might want to read it  actually it isn’t new but has been obviously updated.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/company/customer-support/refusal-to-transport

Jeez where the heck did you dig this up!?!  Way to much idle time on your hands.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

I don't think most passengers are really aware of what can happen.  We have been on a couple of cruises where people we knew had questionable medical situations.  One was put off the ship along with their companion.  Another was injured on a cruise line excursion and the doctor on board wanted to put him off the ship.  He was fine and fortunately the ship sailed before they could do anything.  It is something that anyone cruising should be aware of, so thank you OP for pointing it out.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mikewomb said:

This is very interesting to read and is new on Celebrity’s page. You might want to read it  actually it isn’t new but has been obviously updated.

You entitled your thread…”Looks Like You Are Giving Up Your Rights”.

What rights are those?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mom says said:

I wonder if the OP actually read that whole policy. And if he could specify exactly what rights would be given up. Inquiring minds want to know.

OP seems to be turning into a troll on this board.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

I’m always surprised how many don’t understand their ‘rights’ they think they have as US citizens don’t apply in international waters and in other countries they are visiting. 

and how many of those supposed ‘rights’ are limited / overridden / negated by various contracts they sign such as booking a cruise, and agreeing, usually unknowingly, to some type of arbitration that negates or limits many ‘rights’, especially to sue. Which we threaten to do a lot but is usually useless. 

myself, I constantly threaten many with “I have 2 lawyers on retainer!”, having two lawyer daughters who remind me that ‘threat’ is as useless as it sounds. 

By the way, read the rules of CruiseCritic. A few restrictions that limit our ‘rights’.

den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, mikewomb said:

Read your ticket contract.  Get drunk and rowdy and they can throw you off.  Been the same for a hundred years on board.

Have a communicate disease.  Same deal.

Nothing new just updated for Covid.

Thanks @mikewomb for posting this. The grizzled veterans on this board obviously know all about this but it's good to point these policies (and updates) out because we can't assume everyone reading CC is a grizzled veteran. Some are newbies and can benefit from this. 

When I started cruising I didn't read the cruise contract or research the cruise line's  "REFUSAL TO TRANSPORT POLICY". I just paid my fare and got on a boat (It took me a couple of hours onboard to find out it was a ship, not a boat). Luckily I was a student of history so I knew from the time of the Romans, and even before, ocean going 'passengers' had very little rights and the Captain was a god on the boat, sorry a ship. But everyone who steps on a ship won't know, or care, about these things so it's always useful to point them out. 

Psst. I'm teaching a first year university Finance course this summer and when we started I didn't  assume these kids knew how to add 1 + 1, let alone do exponents. 😉

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 4
  • Haha 5

The thing about the concern over "giving up rights" is that if one behaves in a responsible, cooperative, adult fashion the fine print really is irrelevant! They aren't out to secretly throw you in the brig, rob you of your citizenship (passport), or resell your cabin after kicking you off just because. They want happy passengers who will post on Cruise Critic about how wonderful the cruise was!

• Like 1

@DirtyDawg few, including us ‘grizzled vets’, are bothered by a post reminding all what a Line can do to passengers, it was the classic blown out of proportion title.

No big deal, the title, the content Or the reactions. 

Den

Edited by Denny01
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There was a whole thread about whether to leave things out and at least two people had had items recovered by onboard security. This policy is what allows that to happen. In many cases what you are giving up in personal rights you are also gaining capability to have security keep you from getting screwed with. I'd want to cruise LESS if their policy were to look the other way if pax have items stolen and if they left every belligerent person onboard.

1 hour ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

While I appreciate the reminder and I'm sure first time cruisers do too, I fail to understand how any of this is giving up rights.

It isn't. It's just an alarmist post.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, broadwaybaby123 said:

While I appreciate the reminder and I'm sure first time cruisers do too, I fail to understand how any of this is giving up rights.

You give up the right to expect that whining about contracts you signed will be adjusted to meet your whims.

1 hour ago, mayleeman said:

You give up the right to expect that whining about contracts you signed will be adjusted to meet your whims.

So true.  Nothing new except to allow to be flexible dealing with Covid. 

Still the same as on land - get drunk or start fights in a bar you get thrown out and possibly arrested.  On board a ship you get thrown off and possibly arrested.

It took a group from California 3 days of rowdy obscene behavior to get tossed and that was their goal!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 6/18/2022 at 7:08 PM, wcook said:

Cruise contracts: they have the right to alter the deal. You have the right to pray they don’t alter it any further. 

Jeez, you sound just like Darth Vader!!!!

Elvis