Just got back from Grandeur of the Seas (Jun 10-Jun15) and I have covid

Anyone just get back from this cruise?  Went in feeling great, but day 3 I had a scratchy throat, then sinuses last 2 days.  Woke up today and stayed in bed til about 4pm.  Wife is OK and tested negative with our at home tests, so I'm quarantining in the basement.

Seems mild, not a bad cough but feel tired & can't stop blowing my nose.

Quad vaxxed (last booster 3 weeks ago) so should be good.  Just curious if anyone else also came home with the bug.

Loved the ship though!  It is their smallest in the fleet but was very nice and modern looking.  Buffet was not good, and I am not a picky eater.  I generally love the buffet no matter what but I had a hard time with some of the selections (who ever heard of an Onion Tart?).  MDR was OK, but they ran out of horseradish on the 3rd day so prime rib was not an option (was offered daily).  

The games were awesome, had a blast!  The last sailing with Royal they didn't do the Love and Marriage show but this sailing they did and it was a blast as always!

• Like 1

Just now, Merion_Mom said:

Feel better soon.

The Onion Tart is one of Royal Caribbean's most beloved appetizers.  When it was removed from a menu a few years ago, there were near-riots.  

I stand corrected. 🙂  And thanks!

When  I came back from my Oasis sailing in November, I had a headache for 2 hours when I got home

When I got back from my Independence sailing in Dec, I had a stuffy nose one night

Heading out on Allure on Sunday, I will report back with any illnesses or just a bad bowel movement. 

Covid is endemic. Its not news when people get covid on ships anymore. Nothing can stop it. Vax and testing requirements do not keep it off ships. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

17 minutes ago, UNCFanatik said:

When  I came back from my Oasis sailing in November, I had a headache for 2 hours when I got home

When I got back from my Independence sailing in Dec, I had a stuffy nose one night

Heading out on Allure on Sunday, I will report back with any illnesses or just a bad bowel movement. 

Covid is endemic. Its not news when people get covid on ships anymore. Nothing can stop it. Vax and testing requirements do not keep it off ships. 

For all those that assume they caught it on the ship, travel to and from and I don't know, visiting ports might have something to do with it too.  I came back from our April b2b with a sinus infection lol.

I agree with you completely.  It's endemic, just like many, many other viruses which we don't panic over even though a lot of them kill some people.  

Edited by BND
  • Like 8

19 minutes ago, UNCFanatik said:

It may not be news but it certainly disrupts your cruise ( a bit more than a stuffy nose) if you test positive.  Captain reported cases on Mariner the past few weeks and suggested we wear masks indoors. Many  did not, except for elevators.    My  cruise social media  pages are all abuzz with folks reporting Covid positive cases.  Small group of members, and over  50 positive cases. 

Personally I want to know of there is covid, norovirus, colds, flu, whatever  on board so that I can gauge my involvement in entertainment or activities.    I was on Mariner for  over 2 weeks.    Once I learned about the increases early on the first cruise,  I decided not to go to  the  (packed) promenade parties. 

M

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Justaguy33 said:

Anyone just get back from this cruise?  Went in feeling great, but day 3 I had a scratchy throat, then sinuses last 2 days.  Woke up today and stayed in bed til about 4pm.  Wife is OK and tested negative with our at home tests, so I'm quarantining in the basement.

Quad vaxxed (last booster 3 weeks ago) so should be good.  Just curious if anyone else also came home with the bug.

Loved the ship though!  It is their smallest in the fleet but was very nice and modern looking.  Buffet was not good, and I am not a picky eater.  I generally love the buffet no matter what but I had a hard time with some of the selections (who ever heard of an Onion Tart?).  MDR was OK, but they ran out of horseradish on the 3rd day so prime rib was not an option (was offered daily).  

The games were awesome, had a blast!  The last sailing with Royal they didn't do the Love and Marriage show but this sailing they did and it was a blast as always!

of course you do.  A hundred people on our last cruise were tested positive during the cruise with covid.  I assume RC and the other lines know that many, many people will get Covid but know that it will hurt business to require masks again.  They dont care because once you get off you arent there responsibility any more. 

16 hours ago, Justaguy33 said:

a lot of us did, and we shared it on this board. 🙂

Wishing you a quick recovery!

P.S. DH and I had symptoms for a week, with them gradually tapering off after that. DH's symptoms are 1 day behind mine. Headache, body ache, terrible non-stop dry cough (despite copious amounts of Mucinex and cough drops), lots of snot and diarrhea (me only), weakness, but no fever for either of us, and on day 5 of symptoms we lost our sense of smell. It's now day 12 from symptom onset, and the smell is coming back very slowly. The non-stop cough kept me awake for a couple of nights, so I started doing the triple combo: nyquil, benadryl and melatonin. It really works!

My mom had the original covid, and her sense of smell hasn't come back after 2 years. Doesn't look like it ever will. Neither mom or dad had any cough, but dad had a more severe case with oxygen below 90.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Had a sinus infection and bronchitis.  Coughed my throat raw.  Took 3 covid tests 4 days apart each, nope all negative.  Sang two major Symphony concerts WITH MASKS, while sucking down my weight in cough meds & cough drops.  Took 5 weeks to come close to well.

20 hours ago, Justaguy33 said:

Same symptoms I had 5 days after my cruise, tested negative at urgent care so thought it was sinus infection. Lost my sense of taste and smell day 7 and tested positive at home. Feel fine now, thank goodness I was boosted 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BND said:

It's endemic, just like many, many other viruses which we don't panic over even though a lot of them kill some people. 

I'm not afraid of Covid itself; I've already had Omicron and it was just like a cold for me. My concern about getting it on my upcoming cruise is the inconvenience of being shuffled off to the Covid dungeon onboard and not being allowed to fly home for days afterward. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Justaguy33 said:

Wife got covid19 on adventure May cruise! Driving home started feeling sick. Cancer survivor so she got paxlovid medicine and was better within a week. I got covid19 too, got the paxlovid medicine and felt great for a few days, and then rebound covid19 and still suffering!

If I mess up writing it’s the fog upstairs from covid19.

Fully vaccinated and double boosted!
Tested 3 negative before cruise for Bermuda nonsense registration. Thinking I was free and clear!

It’s a quagmire, also doctors in Boston just said paxlovid medicine useless for healthy fully vaccinated and double boosted folks!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cementhands said:

Wife got covid19 on adventure May cruise! Driving home started feeling sick. Cancer survivor so she got paxlovid medicine and was better within a week. I got covid19 too, got the paxlovid medicine and felt great for a few days, and then rebound covid19 and still suffering!

If I mess up writing it’s the fog upstairs from covid19.

Fully vaccinated and double boosted!
Tested 3 negative before cruise for Bermuda nonsense registration. Thinking I was free and clear!

It’s a quagmire, also doctors in Boston just said paxlovid medicine useless for healthy fully vaccinated and double boosted folks!

Paxlovid isn't recommended for healthy people.  It was really created for high risk individuals.

10 hours ago, BND said:

Paxlovid isn't recommended for healthy people.  It was really created for high risk individuals.

I'm not being critical, but how do you know? There have been a lot of reports about covid being worse for people with comorbidities. What if people haven't yet been diagnosed with diabetes, COPD, and how much overweight is obese? It just seems like people should be able to take it if they wish to. 

There seem to have been all kinds of people that died early on in this, that weren't known high risk.

18 hours ago, BND said:

our doctor also recommended NOT taking it for us  - he said it was for people with significant co-morbidities. DH is a relatively healthy dude under 50. I am slightly worse off, but nothing major. I am prediabetic and overweight. Maybe, with a cancer that hasn't been dx yet. We are double vaxxed and boostered, and feeling much better now by day 13 from symptom onset.

A guy in his 50s at my work died of covid recently, despite being relatively healthy, vaxxed and boostered.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

12 hours ago, Coralc said:

I'm not being critical, but how do you know? There have been a lot of reports about covid being worse for people with comorbidities. What if people haven't yet been diagnosed with diabetes, COPD, and how much overweight is obese? It just seems like people should be able to take it if they wish to. 

There seem to have been all kinds of people that died early on in this, that weren't known high risk.

Um, look it up.  Maybe you need to check this article.  Here is what it was approved for: The drug was granted an emergency use authorization (EUA) by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in December for anyone ages 12 and older who weighs at least 88 pounds, and is at high risk for severe disease. 

https://www.yalemedicine.org/news/13-things-to-know-paxlovid-covid-19

5 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

our doctor also recommended NOT taking it for us  - he said it was for people with significant co-morbidities. DH is a relatively healthy dude under 50. I am slightly worse off, but nothing major. I am prediabetic and overweight. Maybe, with a cancer that hasn't been dx yet. We are double vaxxed and boostered, and feeling much better now by day 13 from symptom onset.

A guy in his 50s at my work died of covid recently, despite being relatively healthy, vaxxed and boostered.

I know a couple of people who were told they can't take it because they either have issues or are on meds that make it risky or they aren't at high risk for severe illness.  It really isn't meant for everyone but currently not given to low-moderate risk individuals.  Nothing is 100% perfect and there are always exceptions.  About 4 years ago, there was a perfectly healthy 17 year old (vaxxed) who died from flu complications in our area.    

• Like 2