Loyal My Time Diner changed to late dining

2 hours ago, DukeASUGirl said:

Yes! I understand it all has to do with staff shortages, but it would be great if they'd use one floor of the MDR for MTD throughout the full hours of like 5 to 9 pm. Waiting until 6:30 or 6:45 (depending on the ship) will always result in a backlog of folks wanting to eat at 6:30. 5 is often too early for many, but there is an hour and a half or hour 45 minutes between when Early Seating and MTD opens, so you have 90 minutes worth of diners trying to get in

That was discussed earlier.   It WAS how it was when MTD first came out...one floor (usually the 5th if MD was on 3, 4, and 5).    Now, they are intermixing MTD on main floor in between 1st and 2nd seating traditional dining. 

On the old program, we loved MTD.   But not any longer due to this change, which could have been when the "unvaxxed" were seated on a separate floor.  Usually those were with children that could not be vaxxed, thus why that top deck dining has tables with higher pax seating, very little "two tops".

Edited by island lady

On 6/26/2022 at 1:39 PM, DukeASUGirl said:

I've never understood the whole "I want to same waitstaff so they know my preferences." Maybe I'm just low maintenance, but what preferences are we talking about? Can't you just tell the new waiter your preferences? Why is it so important they know it in advance?

exactly.  And if you have something-for example GF-if you tell the waiter, it goes to your room # info, so whichever waitstaff you get the next night already knows you have a GF dinner.  We have never cared if we have the same waitstaff.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, karena1 said:

exactly.  And if you have something-for example GF-if you tell the waiter, it goes to your room # info, so whichever waitstaff you get the next night already knows you have a GF dinner.  We have never cared if we have the same waitstaff.

Exactly! Between my daughter and I, we have multiple food allergies, but I'd never expect the waiter to remember it off the top of his or her head. It's in the electronic files for your room number, and we ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS tell them at every meal as well.

• Like 1

One thing you all seem to agree on is that eating in the MDR or Windjammer meets your requirements on a cruise.  Am I reading the discussion correctly on that?  We are taking our first Royal cruise next Spring and are trying to decide what packages to buy.  I've already bought the all-drinks package, and we are now trying to decide about dining packages.  I've looked at sample menus for the MDR and they look terrific!  We'll be on Odyssey of the Seas.  Your advice would be appreciated - am I wrong to think the MDR, with a visit or two to Windjammer, make for a great cruise?

TIA

1 hour ago, QueSeraSera said:

One thing you all seem to agree on is that eating in the MDR or Windjammer meets your requirements on a cruise.  Am I reading the discussion correctly on that?  We are taking our first Royal cruise next Spring and are trying to decide what packages to buy.  I've already bought the all-drinks package, and we are now trying to decide about dining packages.  I've looked at sample menus for the MDR and they look terrific!  We'll be on Odyssey of the Seas.  Your advice would be appreciated - am I wrong to think the MDR, with a visit or two to Windjammer, make for a great cruise?

TIA

How picky are you on your food?  We're not.  And on our three cruises to date, the MDR was just fine.  We did some specialty meals on Oasis (on our first cruise) and while it was "better" than the MDR, it was by no means a requirement.

Others are choosy on their food and MDR isn't good enough for them.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jetta8300 said:

They need to allow people to book a private table for just their party on the set dining times.  If they allowed us to do that, we would have always booked the early dining time.  

Why can’t you do that?

You can have a table for two but you will be inches from the next table for two more often than not.

4 hours ago, QueSeraSera said:

TIA

Since this is your first cruise on Royal I would suggest not getting the dining package. Try out the WJ and the MDR first and see what you think. We have never been to a specialty restaurant until recently. We only did that because it was from our TA. I have read to many times where people say the speciality dining wasn’t very good or it was just ok. There are others who have a great meal so you never know. I can’t see paying extra to end up with that when food is already provided. Save your money and eat out on land. After your first cruise you will know if the food is ok for you without paying extra.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/1/2022 at 11:27 PM, c-leg5 said:

Why can’t you do that?

You can have a table for two but you will be inches from the next table for two more often than not.

You can't book a table for two... or a table for your party at all with a set dining time.  You can chance it and wait in line and talk to the dining room staff when you arrive, but many people have been turned down before.  

On 7/1/2022 at 7:07 PM, jetta8300 said:

They need to allow people to book a private table for just their party on the set dining times.  If they allowed us to do that, we would have always booked the early dining time.  

You could and still can do that. Pre and post covid cruises. We did this all the time for MTD. Always made reservations (time) in the CP and once onboard went directly to the MDR for MTD, found a table we liked and requested that table every night for our reserved time. If we selected early TD in the MDR we did the same thing when we first boarded the ship. Always a table for two and not all of the tables we selected were inches apart. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, jetta8300 said:

You can't book a table for two... or a table for your party at all with a set dining time.  You can chance it and wait in line and talk to the dining room staff when you arrive, but many people have been turned down before.  

I have never been turned down when asking for a table for two for the entire sailing--and I always have a fixed dining time.  That is even pre-Covid when ships were always at capacity.  In fact, pretty much every single time that I've booked through Royal, the rep asks me 'would you like a table for two or would you like to be seated at a larger table with others?'  I choose table for two, then as soon as I board, head to the main dining room to confirm that and take a look at the location of the table.  Never an issue.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, davekathy said:

You could and still can do that. Pre and post covid cruises. We did this all the time for MTD. Always made reservations (time) in the CP and once onboard went directly to the MDR for MTD, found a table we liked and requested that table every night for our reserved time. If we selected early TD in the MDR we did the same thing when we first boarded the ship. Always a table for two and not all of the tables we selected were inches apart. 

I'm talking about set dining times, not MTD.  You cannot GUARANTEE, or book ahead of time, a private table with set dining times.  Yes you can chance it and speak to the head waiter.  I've heard of many different levels of success, and we just aren't willing to chance it.

As far as MTD goes, we have always  made reservations, and the current dining times are too late.  We have never been successful at getting the same server and the same table.  never.  We have always obviously been able to get a private table, but when requesting the same table and server we are told "you can wait if you'd like" and i'm not willing to wait 1.5 hours for the same table and server.

8 minutes ago, rockmom said:

I have never been turned down when asking for a table for two for the entire sailing--and I always have a fixed dining time.  That is even pre-Covid when ships were always at capacity.  In fact, pretty much every single time that I've booked through Royal, the rep asks me 'would you like a table for two or would you like to be seated at a larger table with others?'  I choose table for two, then as soon as I board, head to the main dining room to confirm that and take a look at the location of the table.  Never an issue.  

That is good to know, our party though now has 3.   I just wish it could be booked in writing, online ahead of time.  Many people do not use a travel agent, or book on the phone and there is nowhere on an online booking to specify a private table.    Some people say they have never had an issue, other people have in fact been turned down.  I'm not sure if a table for 2 is easier to get than a table for 3, but it should be bookable online rather than having to go speak to the dining room staff when boarding.

Edited by jetta8300

2 minutes ago, jetta8300 said:

That is good to know, our party though now has 3.   I just wish it could be booked in writing, online ahead of time.  Many people do not use a travel agent, or book on the phone and there is nowhere on an online booking to specify a private table.    Some people say they have never had an issue, other people have in fact been turned down.  I'm not sure if a table for 2 is easier to get than a table for 3, but it should be bookable online rather than having to go speak to the dining room staff when boarding.

I book online, but usually call at least once between booking and sailing--for things like a price drop. Also, I have done this for a party of 3 quite recently--again, zero issues. I have sailed 4 times this year and never a problem. Sailing with a group of 4 in September, have requested a table just for us.  I will do as I always do, go to the main dining room upon boarding to ask where the table is located.  I will say that if I haven't liked where the table was going to be (such as in a really high-traffic area at the entrance) I ask very politely if there are any other options for a better location.  I do this with a $20 in my hand.  😉   Always have been accommodated.  

23 minutes ago, jetta8300 said:

I'm talking about set dining times, not MTD.  You cannot GUARANTEE, or book ahead of time, a private table with set dining times.  Yes you can chance it and speak to the head waiter.  I've heard of many different levels of success, and we just aren't willing to chance it.

As far as MTD goes, we have always  made reservations, and the current dining times are too late.  We have never been successful at getting the same server and the same table.  never.  We have always obviously been able to get a private table, but when requesting the same table and server we are told "you can wait if you'd like" and i'm not willing to wait 1.5 hours for the same table and server.

You didn't mention TD in your post I quoted. If you had I wouldn't have responded.

Bummer. We have never had a problem getting the same table each evening for our reserved time for MTD.  Along with the same waitstaff. We've even had the same table for both legs of B2B cruises. Usually a different waitstaff. No biggie. 

We have never had a problem getting a table for two for TD for our reserved time that we selected when booking the cruise.  Like I said we head straight to the MDR when we first board the ship to get the table size and location we like. Timing is everything. 

All our RC cruises have only been on the Radiance class, Voyager class and Freedom class ships. Maybe size matters. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, jetta8300 said:

For TD about a week or two prior to your sail date send an email with your request to, rcldining@rccl.com. We've had luck in the past doing this. 

Your table for three with be a table for four, minus one setting. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, davekathy said:

1 hour ago, jetta8300 said:

We have never experienced this problem. Like @rockmomwe have always been asked what size table we prefer when we have done set dining but we then we book through a TA. It has been a long time since we did set dining but I seem to recall there is a section on your profile. 

13 minutes ago, davekathy said:

For TD about a week or two prior to your sail date send an email with your request to, rcldining@rccl.com. We've had luck in the past doing this. 

Your table for three with be a table for four, minus one setting. 

Our experience has been very similar to @rockmom

it is unclear from your posts whether you have actually had problems, or just read about other people’s issues. Since it is clearly important to you to request this in advance I would also suggest the above email. Whilst it is not a guarantee, and requests “get lost”, it may help in your quest.

Table location has never been high on our list of priorities but I know many people find it important to check out dining arrangements as soon as they board. We generally do MTD so if we are unhappy with location or service one night we simply ask to change the next. I realize it isn’t that simple with set dining but lack of flexibility is one of the inherent restrictions of set dining. This is not to say you can’t TRY to rectify it once on board but obviously it is an added hassle.

1 hour ago, jetta8300 said:

Yes, you can.  My DH is and I always request a table for two.

You can so this by phone when booking your reservation, direct with Royal or when within  couple weeks of your cruise you can email rcldining@rccl.com and list your booking # and your dining request.

Or do onboard first day by visiting the host at MDR after boarding.

Edited by Sunshine3601

25 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

We have never experienced this problem. Like @rockmomwe have always been asked what size table we prefer when we have done set dining but we then we book through a TA. It has been a long time since we did set dining but I seem to recall there is a section on your profile. 

Our experience has been very similar to @rockmom

it is unclear from your posts whether you have actually had problems, or just read about other people’s issues. Since it is clearly important to you to request this in advance I would also suggest the above email. Whilst it is not a guarantee, and requests “get lost”, it may help in your quest.

Table location has never been high on our list of priorities but I know many people find it important to check out dining arrangements as soon as they board. We generally do MTD so if we are unhappy with location or service one night we simply ask to change the next. I realize it isn’t that simple with set dining but lack of flexibility is one of the inherent restrictions of set dining. This is not to say you can’t TRY to rectify it once on board but obviously it is an added hassle.

We have cruised 8 times so far and have never once been granted the same table and server with MTD.  Granted, only two of those times has been with Royal.  With Norwegian and Carnival, you do not make reservations with MTD.  So the likelihood of showing up and the table being available is very slim.  We have asked with Royal, and were usually met with annoyance, and were told we could wait for the table to come available but they obviously didn't know how long.  We have always cruised larger ships.  Also, for this cruise the same reservation time every night was not available.  So sometimes we are eating at 6:45 and then other times not until 7:30.  They fill the tables as people show, and if someone is eating you have to wait.

Either way my whole initial post was about the fact that we would like the SET early dining time.  Which i did say initially.  we don't care as much about the table location, and we would like a set, earlier dining time to see the shows.  But we do not want to eat with others as my husband and I are in sales and talk to people all day.  We don't get time to ourselves and want a table for our family. I'm happy it's worked out for others, but many people have posted the opposite.  We have never tried a set dining time for this reason.  And there is nowhere to select a private table on the booking.  I'm just saying, that would be a nice thing to be able to specify online.  Everyone's suggestions are to "request" a private table, but it's not a bookable guarantee.

Edited by jetta8300

9 minutes ago, jetta8300 said:

We have cruised 8 times so far and have never once been granted the same table and server with MTD.  Granted, only two of those times has been with Royal.  With Norwegian and Carnival, you do not make reservations with MTD.  So the likelihood of showing up and the table being available is very slim.  We have asked with Royal, and were met with extreme annoyance and were told we could wait for the table to come available but they obviously didn't know how long.  Also, the same reservation time every night was not available.  So sometimes we are eating at 6:45 and then other times not until 7:30.  They fill the tables as people show, and if someone is eating you have to wait.

Either way my whole initial post was about the fact that we would like a SET dining time.  Which i did say initially.  we don't care as much about the table location, and we would like a set, earlier dining time to see the shows.  But we do not want to eat with others as my husband and I are in sales and talk to people all day.  We don't get time to ourselves and want a table for our family. I'm happy it's worked out for others, but many people have posted the opposite.  We have never tried a set dining time for this reason.  And there is nowhere to select a private table on the booking.  I'm just saying, that would be a nice thing to be able to specify online.

We had MTD when we signed on for our upcoming cruise (next week).  I was able to go into the planner and pick dining times.  We had 7p every night except one on an 8 day cruise.  This was set up months in advance, and done online.   

Based on the posts regarding long waits to get into MTD even with reservations, we changed to early traditional dining.  

Now, when I selected our MTD dining time, the earliest possibility was 6:45.  I still don't understand why that is, and it's a moot point now, but I WAS able to schedule a set dining time.  Whether that would have worked once on board, I don't know. 

On 7/1/2022 at 7:58 PM, QueSeraSera said:

TIA

We rarely get the specialty dining.  The MDR always has something we like and anything they serve in there is better than what we eat at home.  We have on special occasions gotten the specialty dining, but like I said, it's rare.  My recommendation is to try the MDR on your first cruise and don't forget on Sea Days they generally serve lunch in the MDR as well.  We like that, too. 🙂  Enjoy!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, S.A.M.J.R. said:

We had MTD when we signed on for our upcoming cruise (next week).  I was able to go into the planner and pick dining times.  We had 7p every night except one on an 8 day cruise.  This was set up months in advance, and done online.   

Based on the posts regarding long waits to get into MTD even with reservations, we changed to early traditional dining.  

Now, when I selected our MTD dining time, the earliest possibility was 6:45.  I still don't understand why that is, and it's a moot point now, but I WAS able to schedule a set dining time.  Whether that would have worked once on board, I don't know. 

I'm not talking about MTD with reservations.  That's different.  I'm talking about set dining times where you choose the early or late seating.  When you choose the set early or late seating there is nothing to check online to guarantee a private table.  The "default" is that you sit with others, unless you call and request otherwise.  Most people have their request granted, and some do not.  I've seen several postings about people whose requests for private tables were not granted and ended up in the windjammer 🙂

We currently have reservations for MTD each night and all reservations are too late to see any shows.

Edited by jetta8300

10 minutes ago, jetta8300 said:

We have cruised 8 times so far and have never once been granted the same table and server with MTD.  Granted, only two of those times has been with Royal.  With Norwegian and Carnival, you do not make reservations with MTD.  So the likelihood of showing up and the table being available is very slim.  We have asked with Royal, and were usually met with annoyance, and were told we could wait for the table to come available but they obviously didn't know how long.  We have always cruised larger ships.  Also, for this cruise the same reservation time every night was not available.  So sometimes we are eating at 6:45 and then other times not until 7:30.  They fill the tables as people show, and if someone is eating you have to wait.

Either way my whole initial post was about the fact that we would like a SET dining time.  Which i did say initially.  we don't care as much about the table location, and we would like a set, earlier dining time to see the shows.  But we do not want to eat with others as my husband and I are in sales and talk to people all day.  We don't get time to ourselves and want a table for our family. I'm happy it's worked out for others, but many people have posted the opposite.  We have never tried a set dining time for this reason.  And there is nowhere to select a private table on the booking.  I'm just saying, that would be a nice thing to be able to specify online.  Everyone's suggestions are to "request" a private table, but it's not a bookable guarantee.

Do you book your cruises far out from the sail date or closer to the sail date? What size class ships were your two RC cruises on? 

Speaking only about RC. That's why you need to book MTD time(s)as soon as it is open for your sailing in your CP. The early MTD time slots are taken fast. Once you get onboard head to the MDR for MTD or TD and select the table size you want. We have never had a bad experience requesting a table that we scoped out and then requested that table number for the entire cruise. I can't speak for others but know just from who post here on CC others have had the same positive experiences. Of course those without reservations (MTD) are going to be put in the waiting que. Especially now with a lot of ships starting MTD later than before the shut down. 

Even with TD, if you want a early dining time then book the cruises early. Especially on the lager ships. If not late dining or waitlisted will be your choices. Every dining request for table size has been a guarantee once onboard for us. We haven't been asked in years about table size when booking the cruise. 

11 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Do you book your cruises far out from the sail date or closer to the sail date? What size class ships were your two RC cruises on? 

Speaking only about RC. That's why you need to book MTD time(s)as soon as it is open for your sailing in your CP. The early MTD time slots are taken fast. Once you get onboard head to the MDR for MTD or TD and select the table size you want. We have never had a bad experience requesting a table that we scoped out and then requested that table number for the entire cruise. I can't speak for others but know just from who post here on CC others have had the same positive experiences. Of course those without reservations (MTD) are going to be put in the waiting que. Especially now with a lot of ships starting MTD later than before the shut down. 

Even with TD, if you want a early dining time then book the cruises early. Especially on the lager ships. If not late dining or waitlisted will be your choices. Every dining request for table size has been a guarantee once onboard for us. We haven't been asked in years about table size when booking the cruise. 

Thanks for your reply, we have sailed Allure and Anthem.  But MTD wasn't an issue because back then, you could do MTD at 5:30pm.    Now it doesn't start until 6:45 at the earliest.  That's the whole problem.  MTD is no longer a good option if you want to see shows at 7-7:30.  And now you can't even see show times ahead of time to book reservations... or plan around them.  

We are sailing the Harmony next week and have nightly reservations anywhere between 6:45-7:30.  MTD has always been a giant cluster... on every single ship.  We would love to switch to early traditional dining.  But "show up and REQUEST A private table..." and "they will TRY and accomadate you" and "they will do 'their best' to get a table for 3" isn't the same thing as booking a private table with 100% certainty.  It's just odd they don't offer that option to choose when booking.

Edited by jetta8300