Princess New Premier Plus

18 minutes ago, Happiest when cruising said:

That is crazy. Did you enjoy the other perks of the premium package? 

We did get a 'prize'---$175 each which was what we paid for the package so that was nice. And 3 printed photos. 

I'm not sure having internet for 4 devices was any benefit as the internet was so slow we could only use it for email.

We did use the 2 free each specialty restaurant bookings and it was easy to book prior to departure.

So we actually came out ahead if you factor in the prize. But without that, it was not much of a benefit.

Hopefully they get the wine/drink situation sorted out soon. The bar staff was generally very helpful.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Happiest when cruising said:

That is crazy. Did you enjoy the other perks of the premium package? 

I really don’t see what value the photo package (we stopped having pictures taken over 20 years ago) or multiple devices for WiFi (we know how to log off and on). We will stick with the Plus package as long as we can get Grey Goose martinis and Bulliet or Buffalo Trace Manhattans we can live with cheap white wine or pay a small amount of overage 

15 minutes ago, broker1217 said:

We did get a 'prize'---$175 each which was what we paid for the package so that was nice. And 3 printed photos. 

I'm not sure having internet for 4 devices was any benefit as the internet was so slow we could only use it for email.

We did use the 2 free each specialty restaurant bookings and it was easy to book prior to departure.

So we actually came out ahead if you factor in the prize. But without that, it was not much of a benefit.

Hopefully they get the wine/drink situation sorted out soon. The bar staff was generally very helpful.

how were you notified you 'won' the $175? - and what kind of 'prize' was it? OBC? other?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EviesCruisin said:

OP, thanks so much for the Google drive link. Do you have happen to have the Vines menu or QR code? We currently have the Plus package and it's helpful to see that the brands of wines (i.e. Meomi Pinot Noir for $12) have been replaced with "house" Pinot Noir. I may upgrade to the Plus but I was hoping to get a look at the Vines menu to make sure. THANKS! Seeing these other updated menus definitely helps.

The two servers at Vines didn't have a menu on the Caribbean Princess last week and didn't really know what was covered by what package.  I saved screen shots in a sub-folder (Vines-New) in this Google Drive folder but the QR code link where I took those screen shots only worked for part of the first day (June 25) so I don't know that it is accurate at all.  https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/12whWAkXXP7K8Al6zWXT09134H-8PwZdr

With regard to wines, I tried cross-referencing the various menus to see if I could figure out what their house wines might be and couldn't come to any conclusions.  I also don't think they had gotten in stock many of the new wines that are on the menus I could find so I don't think anything I saw last week is representative of what the beverage package will look like next month or later this year.  Hopefully people on the cruises to come will report back on their experiences.

• Thanks 3

On 6/25/2022 at 4:07 AM, prmssk said:

They did not offer but we also didn't push since it wasn't that important to us and so wasn't worth spending part of our vacation on it.  I just wanted others to be aware that especially with Premier offering specialty dining as part of the package, it is only going to get harder to get reservations.

We made final payment a few weeks ago on two 5-day B2Bs that we upgraded to the new Premier Tier we we'll get 4 total specialty dining reservations each. Once we made final payment the app allowed me to book 3 specialty reservations without paying but the 4th kept trying to charge me so I didn't book it. There was a ton of availability in both restaurants at the time. When I got on the app two days ago the app had changed a bit and it said I had dining credits available that would be applied to any reservations I made. At that point there was almost no availability for Sterling Steakhouse but still lots for Sabatini's. I think that's going to have to be our norm going forward. If you wait until you're onboard everything will be mostly if not completely booked up.

• Thanks 1

On 6/26/2022 at 10:14 PM, startedwithamouse said:

Plus is just a package, and beverages up to $12 are included.  Vines may become premier priced wines only, or bottles.  WE don't know the future.  Whatever Princess has done in the past, is in the past.  Princess has also NEVER been through a 1.5 year pause, right?  They still aren't cruising the Asian market and have yet to start sailing all ships.  They need to make all the $ they can.  The new menus shown are just that: GENERIC - characteristic of or relating to a class or group of things; not a specific brand. Bagged wine allows a large volume with less packaging costs and shipping costs, as glass weighs a lot.  It also keeps longer than an open bottle of wine, as it can't 'turn'.   You also have less behind the scenes manpower in opening and keeping track of bottles. 

I also want to know where anyone is getting a $6-$7 glass of wine. I want to move there. Haha! Maybe my point of reference is skewed since drinking at all at a restaurant in Utah is sooo expensive because of our crazy liquor laws. Restaurants in all the other places I've lived get to buy wine at wholesale prices so they only need a reasonable markup to make a profit. In Utah EVERYONE pays retail prices, even restaurants. Then the markups have to be much higher for it to make sense selling. So, to me the pricing of the wine, even the generic stuff, is reasonable and I chose to upgrade to Premier from Plus because I do tend to like the higher priced wines. I'm so happy they have an actual Champagne on the Premier list. I am NOT a fan of the Prosecco they usually stock.

On 6/27/2022 at 7:28 AM, jeno said:

We prefer New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc.  I see very little of that wine offered by the glass.  We have the Plus package for the 2023 World Cruise.   Sure hope we’ll be coming up with some Plus wines we like for 111 days. We bought the package 16 months ago when many wines by the glass were shown as covered. 

New Zealand Sauv Blancs are the best! My fav is Whitehaven. 🙂  I upgraded our two 5-day cruises in Sept to Premier to try it out and will be sad if there aren't any available. CA Sauv Blanc is boring IMO.

On 6/27/2022 at 11:50 AM, caribill said:

Then those on the Crown would not be disappointed as they would not have any idea in advance what ports they would be missing.

Too soon. Haha!

I was on the Crown on the May 21st sailing and loved every minute but I know lots of folks were disappointed by the sometimes hourly changes to the itinerary.

On 6/27/2022 at 11:53 AM, startedwithamouse said:

Again, if it's super important to you, you have a choice in packages.

There is another choice.  BYOW for $20/btl corkage.  It has been my habit and these changes by PCL simply encourage it for vinophiles.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2022 at 1:44 PM, caribill said:

So much for the webinar where Princess said they were not planning price increases to push choices into the Premier plan. If it was $12 before, then $7 more is a 58% price increase.

Even if the cost to Princess went up, considering that there are about 16 normal pours in a 750ml bottle, there is no way the cost went up by $112 a bottle.

I looked up New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc pricing on the Internet. I do not know what label Princess uses, but highly rated ones such as Fire Road Sauvignon Blanc go for about $15-$17/bottle which includes Federal and state taxes, taxes that Princess does not pay.

Wow!! 16 pours from 750 ml????!!!  Don't let me anywhere near a wine bar you are pouring at!!!  LOL.

<EDITED - I see you were corrected much earlier than my post, but I couldn't resist>

Edited by Steelers36
  • Haha 1

On 6/28/2022 at 8:36 PM, JimmyVWine said:

A poster has published the now-current MDR Wine List and that too is generic. That proves that this is systemic and calculated. 

Where?  Link please.   (FORGET IT - I was creating responses as I was catching up several pages of this thread and I see you referred someone to Post #2).

ETA #2:  I do note the provided wine list is only the WBTG selections and none of the bottle-only selections.  Hard to know the changes there.  I do agree this is a dumbing down of WBTG whether one is on the PLUS or not.  Makes no difference.  It's an insult to anyone looking at the two sections and it's like belittling to a guest to order from the lower price list.  And just what is the "Red Blend"?  Most bartenders won't have a clue and there are a lot of possible red blends out there.  Princess has just de-elevated and undone what they did some years back.

I wonder if they have undergone a whole label revolution again as when the current/recent wine list was introduced? 

I do have to think - with seeing booze prices staying steady and posters confirming - that there seems to be an all-out assault in the wine area and they had to do something to create a Premier level out of thin air so to speak. 

I am interested to see the new formal wine list as I wonder if they just didn't slash out the lower to mid end and replace with new plonk and then move most of the rest to Premier level by boosting prices for both glass and bottles. 

Now I being to wonder how long the recent move to $20 corkage fee will last before another bump up?  (Perish the thought).

ETA:  Another clue to this is the reports of many listed wines being out of stock, so a general turnover seems to have been in the works with lack of replenishment.  And I suppose they could place blame on supply chain and Covid, etc.  Who knows for sure?

ETA:  I see you did post a referral to the link.

Edited by Steelers36

11 hours ago, rheathslc said:

Restaurants in all the other places I've lived get to buy wine at wholesale prices so they only need a reasonable markup to make a profit. In Utah EVERYONE pays retail prices, even restaurants. Then the markups have to be much higher for it to make sense selling. So, to me the pricing of the wine, even the generic stuff, is reasonable

And remember that Princess not only pays wholesale prices, but prices without any Federal or state taxes, so they pay much less than any land based restaurant or bar.

Press release on the Premier open the door contest:

July 5, 2022 1:00 PM EDT
Innovative New Stateroom Entry Experience, Princess Prizes, Rolling Out Fleetwide Offering Guests Chance to Win Host of Prizes, Including $100,000 in Cash

SANTA CLARITA, Calif., July 5, 2022 /PRNewswire/ -- Princess Prizes – a first-of-its-kind experience that turns every stateroom entry into a chance to win a variety of prizes, including $100,000 in cash – is rolling out across the Princess Cruises fleet following a highly successful pilot on Caribbean Princess.

The way Princess Prizes works is simple - every time an adult guest accesses their stateroom using their Medallion, they have the chance to win a prize including shipboard credits, wine tastings, Chef's Table dinners and even free cruises for two for the next decade.  Additionally, guests can enter an end-of-cruise drawing awarding at least $5,000 every voyage.

"Princess Prizes takes our guests' MedallionClass experience to the next level, providing them with a fun way to win prizes simply by entering their stateroom," said Princess President John Padgett.  "At Princess, we're always aiming to provide our guests with unique experiences they can't have anywhere else and Princess Prizes is just the latest example of how we can leverage MedallionClass technology in new and exciting ways."

Princess Prizes was introduced on Majestic Princess and Discovery Princess in Alaska this past weekend with an additional 10 ships coming online between now and the end of the month.  The rollout schedule is as follows:

• Grand Princess – July 6
  • Crown Princess, Royal Princess, Ruby Princess – July 9
  • Regal Princess – July 16
  • Emerald Princess – July 20
  • Enchanted Princess – July 22
  • Sky Princess – July 23
  • Coral Princess, Island Princess – July 29

Princess Prizes is part of the recently launched Princess Premier, the line's premium add-on that includes unlimited WiFi for four devices, a top-shelf beverage package, specialty dining, photos, and daily crew appreciation at one all-inclusive price.

Princess Prizes also takes full advantage of Princess' exclusive MedallionClass experience which begins with the Medallion™ wearable, a quarter-sized, device that enables everything from expedited contactless boarding to locating loved ones anywhere on the ship, as well as enhanced service like having whatever guests need, delivered directly to them, wherever they are on the ship.

30 minutes ago, caribill said:

rolling out across the Princess Cruises fleet following a highly successful pilot on Caribbean Princess.

Interesting that this was "highly successful", but generated zero buzz on Cruise Critic....

Where were the rave posts about how great it was?

🤷‍♀️

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, cruisnfool said:

Is Jack Daniels included in the beverage plus?

Yes but it is one of the lower brands in the Plus package. You can also get Makers Mark or Bulliet on the package as well

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I do have to think - with seeing booze prices staying steady and posters confirming - that there seems to be an all-out assault in the wine area and they had to do something to create a Premier level out of thin air so to speak. 

THIS!  There really is no other explanation as to why Princess has gone from the cruise line in its price class that actually took wine service most seriously to a cruise line that thinks selling plonk for $10 is good for business.  It is only good for business if it frustrates customers to pay more for Premier or walk off the ship with a bill totaling $250 in wine overage charges.   

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cruisnfool said:

Is Jack Daniels included in the beverage plus?

Yes. Both Jack Daniel's and Gentleman Jack have been included with Plus. Of course that was before the new package but they were only priced at around $7.50 $8 respectively before so it's not likely they would no longer be included with Plus.

I have been emailing and calling Princess regarding a long standing CONFIRMED contract stating we had PREMIER Package.   Now I have the newly instituted Princess Plus?????I was told the Premier Package only started June 26..My booking was last year???????I could not get any satisfaction other than to say we can UPGRADE for $25/pp/perday??????How can this be….Maybe a BAIT AND SWITCH????  I get no response to my emails….We have been sailing with Princess for over 25 years…Never had this problem..I can understand if this was a new booking after their NEW BEVERAGE plan was in acted in June 2022 but this was a long standing booking?????What is the thought on Cruise Critic since I get nothing from PRINCESS CUSTOMER SERVICE OR CAPTAIN”S CLUB?????

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, mafw said:

I have been emailing and calling Princess regarding a long standing CONFIRMED contract stating we had PREMIER Package.   Now I have the newly instituted Princess Plus?????I was told the Premier Package only started June 26..My booking was last year???????I could not get any satisfaction other than to say we can UPGRADE for $25/pp/perday??????How can this be….Maybe a BAIT AND SWITCH????  I get no response to my emails….We have been sailing with Princess for over 25 years…Never had this problem..I can understand if this was a new booking after their NEW BEVERAGE plan was in acted in June 2022 but this was a long standing booking?????What is the thought on Cruise Critic since I get nothing from PRINCESS CUSTOMER SERVICE OR CAPTAIN”S CLUB?????

You have everything backwards you booked Princess Plus which has been around for awhile. At one time the drink package was called premier but has always been attached to the plus package and limited to $12 drinks or less. That is what you bought and it covers most every drink you want except for higher priced wines by the glass   Time for you to give it up or sail another line where drinks are more expensive. I cannot believe you think you are going to get drinks over $12 which is what you signed up for 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, mafw said:

Wrong!  You are wrong!  If you noticed anything, I know you did not pay $75 per day for the Premier Package as it is brand new.  So, you paid for the Plus package, which you do have.  To explain this more fully, the drinks package and only the drinks package used to be called premier, which is why it shows that way.  On your invoice, it should show:  WiFi, Gratuities, and Premier Drinks Package (or something similar).  Now, the new Premier Package includes the following:  WiFi, Gratuities and the Plus Drinks Package.  Same thing, different name.  So, no bait and switch from Princess, unless you are trying to get an upgrade for free.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, mafw said:

From the FAQ for the drink package.

11. The beverage package for Princess Plus used to be called Premier Beverage Package. The drinks package included in Princess Plus is now called Plus Beverage Package. Does it include everything that was in the previous package?
Yes. The contents of the Plus Beverage Package are exactly what the previous beverage package for Princess Plus had. The only change is the name.

https://www.princess.com/cruise-deals-promotions/plus-premier-cruise-packages/

• Like 1