Princess New Premier Plus

6 hours ago, caribill said:

Even if the cost to Princess went up, considering that there are about 16 normal pours in a 750ml bottle, there is no way the cost went up by $112 a bottle.

Not to be contentious, but I think that they get 4-5 pours from a bottle, not 16...a 750 bottle = 26 oz, and I'm fairly sure that they pour about a six ounce glass 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, jwattle said:

Not to be contentious, but I think that they get 4-5 pours from a bottle, not 16...a 750 bottle = 26 oz, and I'm fairly sure that they pour about a six ounce glass 🙂

Thanks for the correction. I had been thinking liquor pours.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, jwattle said:

You can get 16 pours out of this!!

image.jpeg.8be67ed65ba9e7884cde42026cfcd495.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

21 hours ago, gvre said:

Do you know how much the 007 grey Goose Martini is?

It has always been well within the limits of the Plus package. In the past it has been listed for $10 and was charged at $11.80 - $10 + 18% gratuity. Of course the gratuity is included with the Plus package so, for the purpose of deciding if it is actually covered by the Plus package, the listed price of $10 is all that is considered. (Even with the gratuity it would still have been covered as it is under $12.) I sometimes drink the Chairman of the Board martini which has always been included in the Plus package.

Edit: I just checked the new Crooner's menu that was posted by another user. Here is a "snip" from that menu that will answer your question. (However, the 007 is not showing as being made with Grey Goose.)

image.png.ee03ea23d968ab8768dcc8fc748bf090.png

Edited by Thrak

11 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

This has nothing to do with price.  I don't care what the price is of the Plus wines, as I know that they are going to be $12 or less.  I just want to know whether I am ordering Yellowtail, Two Buck Chuck, or Mer Soleil.  That isn't asking a whole heck of a lot, because it really does matter.  And it is information that has previously been provided without a second thought, and information that you will find in any bar or restaurant higher than a pizza joint where they have a table tent advertising "Red" or "White".  

And most of the time I do bring my wine.  But when sailing from a European port, the logistics don't add up.  You seem to have the point twisted in the wind.  I am perfectly fine with the wine selections offered by Princess.  This is not an issue of snobbery.  I actually think that Princess (CCL actually) and Intervine have a good partnership and stock excellent selections at every price point.  It is simply a matter of informing the customer in advance of what they are buying.  Imagine going to the Spa and paying for a massage and not knowing what type of massage you are about to receive.    

Thanks for saying what I wanted to say but was too tired/lazy to actually write. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

What?  You’re not doing a “LIVE” like your AK cruise?  😂 

If there hasn’t been enough information shared regarding the reality of what’s actually happening on board by September I might do a live from. As you know I’m really all about reports that are first hand what’s going on right now on board ships. There’s some CC friends sailing on both my Sept cruises so I’ll have help if it’s needed.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Thrak said:

It has always been well within the limits of the Plus package. In the past it has been listed for $10 and was charged at $11.80 - $10 + 18% gratuity. Of course the gratuity is included with the Plus package so, for the purpose of deciding if it is actually covered by the Plus package, the listed price of $10 is all that is considered. (Even with the gratuity it would still have been covered as it is under $12.) I sometimes drink the Chairman of the Board martini which has always been included in the Plus package.

Edit: I just checked the new Crooner's menu that was posted by another user. Here is a "snip" from that menu that will answer your question. (However, the 007 is not showing as being made with Grey Goose.)

image.png.ee03ea23d968ab8768dcc8fc748bf090.png

Since Belvedere and Grey Goose are priced the same they should be interchangeable. They were on.the Majestic in May

After some soul searching and number crunching, I figured out that based on our habits, Princess got me to nibble on the bait, but not swallow the hook.  By my calculations, if our party of three drinks what we want, when we want to without slavishly adhering to price limits, we will incur just under $300 in "overages" during our cruise.  So I bought 3 $100 Gift Cards at a 10% discount and called those in to the Princess phone line to load them onto our account as OBC.  (I could have done that on board, but at least I can double-task while I am on hold as opposed to waiting at the PSD while on board.)  So for $270 over the price of the Plus Fare I can cover all of our drinks, or very close to it.  This is in comparison to the cost to upgrade to Premier which would have been ($25 x 7) x 3 = $525.  The higher price would have gotten me an extra Specialty Dining dinner valued at either $87 or $75, as well as photos.  I don't care about the latter, and I can always pay out of pocket for the former if we want to, and still come out ahead.  

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 5

The new set-up reminds me of the 60s, when most restaurants used generic terms for wine; Chablis, Rose, Burgundy, or Red, White & Rose.

I'm no snob, but I like to think that wine drinkers, (especially in the US) have come a looong way since those days. I feel qualified in saying this as I was in the wholesale end of the biz for many years when I was a much younger man.

Since Pam and I both prefer to drink Grand Reserva Riojas with some age to them, a glass of "red" isn't going to cut it for us.

After looking everything over, and noticing the only decent Rioja from the old wine list is now gone, we will opt to bring our more of our own wine on-board than we had in the past. We've always brought a few bottles for special celebrations, but now we'll bring more in order make up for what we can't order on the ship.

For sailings departing the US, I'll order online and pick it up on the way to the ship as I've done in the past.   (Thanks Total Wine FLL and Long Beach)

For departures elsewhere, I'll shop locally a day or two before.

For us, this is a better option that the premiere package.

Edited by CineGraphic
  • Like 7

14 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

The new set-up reminds me of the 60s, when most restaurants used generic terms for wine; Chablis, Rose, Burgundy, or Red, White & Rose.

I'm no snob, but I like to think that wine drinkers, (especially in the US) have come a looong way since those days. I feel qualified in saying this as I was in the wholesale end of the biz for many years when I was a much younger man.

Since Pam and I both prefer to drink Grand Reserva Riojas with some age to them, a glass of "red" isn't going to cut it for us.

After looking everything over, and noticing the only decent Rioja from the old wine list is now gone, we will opt to bring our more of wine on-board then in the past. We've always brought a few bottles for special celebrations, but now we'll bring more in order make up for what we can't order on the ship.

For sailings departing the US, I'll order online and pick it up on the way to the ship as I've done in the past.   (Thanks Total Wine FLL and Long Beach)

For departures elsewhere, I'll shop locally a day or two before.

For us, this is a better option that the premiere package.

In the 1970’s I used to hang out in a biker bar where the wine choices were red, white and pink

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, memoak said:

In the 1970’s I used to hang out in a biker bar where the wine choices were red, white and pink

Thunderbird....ahh, but it was a good week though 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

After some soul searching and number crunching, I figured out that based on our habits, Princess got me to nibble on the bait, but not swallow the hook.  By my calculations, if our party of three drinks what we want, when we want to without slavishly adhering to price limits, we will incur just under $300 in "overages" during our cruise.  So I bought 3 $100 Gift Cards at a 10% discount and called those in to the Princess phone line to load them onto our account as OBC.  (I could have done that on board, but at least I can double-task while I am on hold as opposed to waiting at the PSD while on board.)  So for $270 over the price of the Plus Fare I can cover all of our drinks, or very close to it.  This is in comparison to the cost to upgrade to Premier which would have been ($25 x 7) x 3 = $525.  The higher price would have gotten me an extra Specialty Dining dinner valued at either $87 or $75, as well as photos.  I don't care about the latter, and I can always pay out of pocket for the former if we want to, and still come out ahead.  

You forgot Princess Prizes! Opening your door will be sooooooo boring if you don't buy the Premier package...

• Haha 6

I have to wonder if the non-specific wine list for Plus is a means for them to use whatever is on hand at the closest bar? Bearing in mind that many of the wines not covered on Plus USED to be covered by it,  who is to say that if I order a "non-specific" white with my Plus and the guy next to me orders a "brand name" white with his Premier that we don't actually end up with the same wine????

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ceilidh1 said:

I have to wonder if the non-specific wine list for Plus is a means for them to use whatever is on hand at the closest bar? Bearing in mind that many of the wines not covered on Plus USED to be covered by it,  who is to say that if I order a "non-specific" white with my Plus and the guy next to me orders a "brand name" white with his Premier that we don't actually end up with the same wine????

A poster has published the now-current MDR Wine List and that too is generic. That proves that this is systemic and calculated. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

You forgot Princess Prizes! Opening your door will be sooooooo boring if you don't buy the Premier package...

Still waiting for a post on any current "live from" on how much they enjoyed playing "open the door" and what fabulous prizes are being won.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

Without going into the math, I think I come out ahead with the plus package. Not counting the morning specialty coffee drinks it is 1-2 glasses of wine at lunch, a mixed drink at Platinum/Elite, two glasses of wine at dinner, 2-3 glasses of wine and/or mixed drinks during the evening. Hopefully, my lowest price wine and mixed drink will still be included.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

A poster has published the now-current MDR Wine List and that too is generic. That proves that this is systemic and calculated. 

I can’t seem to find that list.  Are you able to guide me to it? TIA

• Like 1

On 6/26/2022 at 12:10 PM, JimmyVWine said:

Thanks for posting the menu.

Absolutely unacceptable that the “Plus” wine list does not describe the producer or bottling but the “Premier” menu does. I’m never going to order a “Pinot Noir” without knowing anything about it. I hope the this isn’t a ship wide issue and is unique to Explorers Lounge. 

Exactly! I noticed that as well. If you like the wine they give you, you have no idea what to ask for next time or what to decline. This allows them to pour just "any" Chardonnay on hand.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, nini said:

Exactly! I noticed that as well. If you like the wine they give you, you have no idea what to ask for next time or what to decline. This allows them to pour just "any" Chardonnay on hand.

has anyone currently on board posted, in any thread, how this is 'actually' working now - when ordering wine covered by PLUS?

• Like 1