Here's a scarey headline for CCL stockholders: Carnival Stock Could Fall to $0 in a Worst Case Scenario

cruising deacon

On 6/18/2022 at 3:15 PM, cruising deacon said:

With online chat abounding regarding CCL possibly filing for bankruptcy, the future for Princess etc looks bleak.  If you look at the recent breakup of Crystal, the creditors and mortgage holders will end up taking whatever little the bankruptcy gets, the stockholders of will get nothing.

With the $20 B debt that CCL is carrying, even the mortgage holders will be lucky to get pennies on the dollar.  How many companies out there want to buy cruise ships that are quickly becoming worthless, and the scrap yards are already full of them.  Fortunately I have gotten my money's worth out of those shares between the dividends and the OBC', but it really bites me that their management hasn't done a better job.  I was on the Crown recently, no one who sails it will ever return.

If they don't relax these ridiculous Covid protocols, they probably will go bankrupt. There are many other vacation options without all the testing stress.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Some pros say the time to buy speculative stocks is when it's all doom and gloom, and everyone is running for the door.  On the other hand, never put money into speculative stocks that you can't afford to lose.

• Like 3

Technically, any stock can go to $0, but not all stocks have a tangible possibility of going under.  Given that cruise fares are getting low, combined with fuel prices getting high, combined with a lot of debt, and that tangible possibility does exist for CCL stock.   Don't buy the stock thinking you'll just get the OBC credit and then sell to get your money back.

1 hour ago, tetleytea said:

Technically, any stock can go to $0, but not all stocks have a tangible possibility of going under.  Given that cruise fares are getting low, combined with fuel prices getting high, combined with a lot of debt, and that tangible possibility does exist for CCL stock.   Don't buy the stock thinking you'll just get the OBC credit and then sell to get your money back.

Now you tell me!☹️

Personally, I don't feel they will go bankrupt. We have a 14 day cruise on the Emerald(Circle the Caribbean) in March. It's over $4000 PP. I'm not seeing big sales going on. We have a cruise booked on the Oceania Vista Jan. 2024. Again near $5000 PP. Everyone seeing the debacle with Crystal needs to understand how much larger "Carnivore" is in comparison: Carnival/Cunard/Princess/Aida/Costa/Holland America/Seabourn/ & more. A lot of ships that can be "mortgaged" the way Ford Motors did to avoid Gvt. bail out. There will be hiccups along the way but the doomsayers out there are full of crap.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, travelhound said:

If they don't relax these ridiculous Covid protocols, they probably will go bankrupt. There are many other vacation options without all the testing stress.

True but it seems most of the cruise lines are still doing it.
I heard that RCI's CEO believes that eventually (in the next several months) the pre-cruise testing will go away but the vaccine requirements will stay in place for awhile.

On 6/25/2022 at 4:14 PM, CruizinSusan70 said:

No question.  Carnival has been marketing to the blues (1st cruise) and reds (newbies) for years.  They don't care about those who are Platinum and Diamond.  The same theory obviously holds true with Princess.

That has always been Carnival Cruise Lines target market. They have other lines available as cruisers mature. They prefer cruisers who cruise for the brand, not for the perks.

6 hours ago, cruising deacon said:

CCL was today's most active stock of all stocks on the NYSE, Nasdaq, and AMEX.

Today: 109,656.6k  shares  vs. 90 day average of 41,261.3k shares.

Remember: For every share sold, there is a buyer who thinks the future price will be higher.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Potstech said:

Any stock can go to $0.00.   And some are.  "Deep dark depression, excessive misery."

"If it weren't for bad luck luck, I'd have no luck at all. Gloom, despair, and agony on me. . ."

All the news is gloom and doom now.

12 hours ago, Riley_Mon said:

I have to believe pent up demand is going to allow Carnival to ride out any possible recession.

My bigger fear would be inflation and supply chain eating up margin.

Maybe the demand is not as strong as people think.  We have done two 20+ day cruises with Princess this year and a 10 day.  Our experience with Covid on board the ship (even though we did not catch it) was off putting.  

We have canceled all of our remaining cruises with Princess this year and have none planned next year.  We are in Europe right now and loving it and not walking down ship corridors with Covid tables and Styrofoam food trays outside the doors which was disgusting.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, travelhound said:

Since when are the Covid protocols limited to Carnival corporation?  All of the major mass market lines have voluntarily decided to follow the CDC's guidelines.  So, are all of the cruise lines going to go bankrupt? 

What testing stress?  If you come up positive, you get a refund as a FCC and you just have to flip your airfare to a future flight.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

That has always been Carnival Cruise Lines target market. They have other lines available as cruisers mature. They prefer cruisers who cruise for the brand, not for the perks.

What perks?  Choc covered strawberries?  A plastic luggage tag?  A can koozie?  A liter bottle of water?  Other "perks" that are sold to anyone through FTTF?

1 hour ago, PrincessLuver said:

Maybe the demand is not as strong as people think.

It might not be strong for Princess overall, but:

o Recent cruises in the Caribbean on the CB have been at 100% capacity.

o CCL brand ships are often sailing over 100% capacity

(100% capacity is defined as total lower berths, in other words 2 to a cabin. When 3 or 4 people are in cabins the ship can be over 100% full.)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, caribill said:

It might not be strong for Princess overall, but:

o Recent cruises in the Caribbean on the CB have been at 100% capacity.

o CCL brand ships are often sailing over 100% capacity

(100% capacity is defined as total lower berths, in other words 2 to a cabin. When 3 or 4 people are in cabins the ship can be over 100% full.)

The unanswered question is "how long will this last"?  How many of these passengers are just trying to burn through FCC`s?  Will they be willing to pay full price for a limited experience.  We are in this category, cruised for "free" (actually money already spent) and found it "forced".  We've had enough.  We still have thousands of dollars in FCC`s that we more than likely will lose.  Call it our contribution to the cause. 🤑