So disappointed with Royal Caribbean

2 minutes ago, zeroed said:

Certain Broadway shows are overhyped and enjoy great success because they become the hip trend of the moment to say you’ve seen. Cats is one of those. Hamilton is another. 

I have enjoyed both.  I think the music is way better in Cats than Hamilton.  That said, I found the Hamilton production to be quite good, and a bit bizarre. 

13 hours ago, soremekun said:

Four letter word...... CATS!!!!!

My oh my what a train wreck!   Some people in a board room somewhere actually said, "This is great!  Let's make this a featured show on one of our premier cruise ships.  We'll make millions!"

Do the actors and actresses actually enjoy performing in this debacle?  

I will never watch this show again.

Choice: Walk barefoot over hot coals, then broken glass, then rusty nails, then cute kittens or.... rewatch Cats?  Easy decision.

Blasphemy! How can you not like tight athletic bodies and in skin tight body suits!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

CATS was a good show when I saw it years ago—1984 or so—but not nearly as interested in seeing it ever again.  I like some of the songs and enjoyed some of the actors. 

I would not take the time to see it on a ship.  So many other things to do!

Of course, not saying anyone else should not see it.  Up to them!

40 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

If you're old enough to remember Alice Cooper, do a youtube search of him as King Herod.... it is the John Legend version of JCS from a few years ago.   Amazing performance of my favorite song in the show.

I thought Judas was INCREDIBLE in that show!  John Legend was meh.  And I don’t get Sara bourelle (sp?).  Just don’t see talent there.🤷‍♀️  

And to the poster who suggested Hamilton was overhyped Broadway, clearly you are not paying attention.  A Chorus Line, Rent,  heck almost anything by Sondheim, even going back to Bernstein’s West Side Story in the day.  Moving the theater along to previously unheard/unexplored territory.    Relating to an entirely new audience.  This is how theater evolves.  Can you tell I’m a theater geek??😁

Edited by poocher
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, poocher said:

I thought Judas was INCREDIBLE in that show!  John Legend was meh.  And I don’t get Sara bourelle (sp?).  Just don’t see talent there.🤷‍♀️  

Yes he was incredible, and would have been more memorable to me if I wasn't so starstruck LOL.  I agree with Legend and Bourelle being lackluster.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RFerrington said:

My favorite by ALW is absolutely Jesus Christ, Superstar, but I know that they will never put that one on a ship.  Too controversial.  But I know the entire score almost by heart.  Once that music starts rolling through my head, it is impossible to get out.  And OBTW, it has started.... 🎵 ...I don't know how to looooove him...🎵

That is an awesome song.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, poocher said:

I thought Judas was INCREDIBLE in that show!  

I thought the same thing about Carl Anderson (Judas in the original movie).  I thought he was awesome.  ...but I am also a fan of Ted Neely's performance as Jesus in the original.

I have never even heard of a remake !  I guess I am out of the loop.  Not a huge John Legend fan but I love the show so I will try and find it.  I don't think anything will ever top the original movie though.  I saw a Broadway performance and I still prefer the movie.

40 minutes ago, darthvadrouw said:

Yes sure, some people hate Cats. I for one thoroughly enjoy watching it. I think it's a great show and have been to see it several times on Oasis.
I guess it's a case of either you love it or hate it

Yep, and I'm sure some folks will also be ecstatic to hear Royal is planning a retrospective  of some of the greatest classic movies of all time to show on all the ships;

The Terror of Tiny Town (1938)

Santa Claus Conquers the Martians (1964)

They Saved Hitler's Brain (1968)

Heaven's Gate (1980)

Ishtar (1987)

and, of course ......  

Cats (2019) 😁

Sorry, couldn't resist it. Hey, I'm a dawg. 😉

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, RFerrington said:

I thought the same thing about Carl Anderson (Judas in the original movie).  I thought he was awesome.  ...but I am also a fan of Ted Neely's performance as Jesus in the original.

I have never even heard of a remake !  I guess I am out of the loop.  Not a huge John Legend fan but I love the show so I will try and find it.  I don't think anything will ever top the original movie though.  I saw a Broadway performance and I still prefer the movie.

It was a live broadcast on Fox pre-covid.  I was not actually a fan of the movie.  Always prefer the energy of a live performance.  Either way, it is a terrific show.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, poocher said:

And to the poster who suggested Hamilton was overhyped Broadway, clearly you are not paying attention.  A Chorus Line, Rent,  heck almost anything by Sondheim, even going back to Bernstein’s West Side Story in the day.  Moving the theater along to previously unheard/unexplored territory.    Relating to an entirely new audience.  This is how theater evolves.  Can you tell I’m a theater geek??😁

Yes, and most of the people on the ship, and on this thread, wouldn't know good theater if it bit them on the tush.

They probably think that the magician act is the best thing they've every seen.  🤪

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Correction to my post above.  I guess it wasn't a Broadway performance as I now realize (thanks @xpcdoojk) that it was never a Broadway show.  Can't remember where I saw the live performance but I have seen one live performance of JCSS....somewhere.

48 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

Yes he was incredible, and would have been more memorable to me if I wasn't so starstruck LOL.  I agree with Legend and Bourelle being lackluster.

Sara Bareilles is fantastic and a force of nature.  She also (among other accomplishments) wrote and starred in Waitress.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Another_Critic said:

Terry is better than the others, but IMO, it's still just a bunch of jumping and noise.

It was a little more interesting pre-COVID when they had the aerial acts. 

They still haven't brought back the Aerial act version? We haven't been on Anthem since last Nov.

The live performers are good (especially Terry, and especially the Aerial act) but the music videos are getting a little old/dated for my tastes.

Oh and as for the Gift, it took about 4-5 performances but I get that show now! It was also missing from our Nov 2021 cruise so not sure if it's back, but now that I understand it, it's kinda cool.

Back to the topic of Cats, I went to the matinee (two weeks ago) because it was nice and cool in the theater, and not too crowded. I did worry about dozing off and snoring, so I had to leave after 20 mins!

15 hours ago, soremekun said:

My oh my what a train wreck! 

That would be Skimbleshanks, the railway cat.

Seriously, though, it's a show that one really has to be knowledgeable of before going.

It's essentially a revue of T. S. Elliot's poetry Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats put to the music of Andrew Lloyd Webber. You'd have to like Webber's artistic style and Elliot's poetry to enjoy Cats.

Knowing in advance that it's about a dozen poems put to music via a weak plot (the poems in the book were all standalone) makes all the difference on one's appreciation of the show.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

Correction to my post above.  I guess it wasn't a Broadway performance as I now realize (thanks @xpcdoojk) that it was never a Broadway show.  Can't remember where I saw the live performance but I have seen one live performance of JCSS....somewhere.

🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️  Superstar opened on Broadway in 1971 and ran for close to 2 years?

• Like 1

"Cats" is the fourth longest-running show in Broadway history (so a few people liked it, myself included). Won seven Tony Awards when it came out in 1983 including "Best Musical" and ran until 2000.

No show is for everyone.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Sara Bareilles is fantastic and a force of nature.  She also (among other accomplishments) wrote and starred in Waitress.

Yes she did but I am still not a fan.

Hamilton???, I will never waste a penny or a second on it.  One of my pet peeves is historically inaccurate junk.  You can't make over history to suit your perspective.....IMHumbleO...of course.  Fiction and fantasy are one thing, screwin with real history is entirely another.

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 1

Stage and screen have always fictionalized history.  Heck history fictionalizes history.  To show historical figures as real, flawed people and to perhaps lead to further exploration of the subject isn’t necessarily a bad thing.  It made me read the biography.   Fascinating but was even the book totally accurate?  None of us were around back then so we’ll never really know.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tx121 said:

yes it is an older production but it is still enjoyable to watch and not passed it’s prime (meaning it is still popular) unlike cats, grease, we will rock you. 

The Rolling Stones are still popular too.  😂😂

• Haha 2