Why no Captain Club happy hour day 1?

LMaxwell

Utilized my Diamond on RCI to have Elite onboard Celebrity; was surprised that Captains Club Happy Hour is not honored around the ship on day 1. Seems a little bit of an oddity to me. Has it always been this way, or recently changed? Any sensible reason for it being done this way? Should have mentioned on my survey but forgot to. 

It's always been this way.   Used to make sense when it was an actual event in the Sky Lounge as things are pretty hectic on boarding day.   Now that it's just drinks most bars it really doesn't make sense.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Utilized my Diamond on RCI to have Elite onboard Celebrity; was surprised that Captains Club Happy Hour is not honored around the ship on day 1. Seems a little bit of an oddity to me. Has it always been this way, or recently changed? Any sensible reason for it being done this way? Should have mentioned on my survey but forgot to. 

Nothing new. That's one thing about the CC we have always thought was cheap.  The CC hasn't brought back the formal CC HH ( 5 to 7) in the Sky Lounge in the evening. AI or not. RC is back to doing the C&A HH (5 to 8) in the evening  that includes the buffet style snacks. Only difference now is they serve your selections to you and you have to use your tier level drinks that are loaded on your SeaPass card for dinks in the DL during the HH. 

Edited by davekathy

On my last RCI cruise they only depleted my daily drinks if I ordered somewhere outside the Diamond Lounge.  Inside the DL they still treated it as unlimited.  It doesn't much matter to me; I generally just have 2 or 3 drinks over the time.  I found Celebrity much more restrictive as it is for an hour less and does not apply in the dining room either; usually would have a pre-dinner drink and then get another to go into dinner with.

But the first day thing really makes no sense to me at all. Even if it is new guests onboard, not sure why that matters. Not as important to me that they did away with a dedicated lounge. I think the Sky Lounge should be open to everyone as it's one of the best venues on the ship. In fact I think they should offer all guests onboard 5pm specials in the Sky Lounge to make it a more convivial place to be. 

Edited by LMaxwell
  • Like 1

From my experience on S Class ships, the Sky Lounge has been open to all passengers from 5-7 PM for some time.  I cannot say for sure that this was a fleet wide change. As I recall it happened when the drinks became unlimited during that period.  Celebrity also did not offer the CC Happy Hour on the day of the Captain Club celebration. (Cancelled since the restart). So it was 5 days out of a 7 day cruise.  

I am not  really sure why Celebrity would want to expand the program for the first night. (Since it has never been available on the 1st night) I suspect they sell more drinks than average on the first night.  Perhaps if Celebrity finds that there is a significant percentage of passengers sailing with a cruise only fare, they will make a change.  A different type of CC enhancement might apply to more passengers, since most Elite members already have some type of drink package.  I would not expect Celebrity to do anything to encourage people to book “cruise only” rates instead of the AI.  

It would be interesting to know what percentage of passengers are booked with a “cruise only” rate and how many are, Elite and above.  For many of us, the HH free drinks have had no value since the introduction of bundling/drink packages many years ago.  Extra OBC or a cruise fare discount would be much more valuable to most of us.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

From my experience on S Class ships, the Sky Lounge has been open to all passengers from 5-7 PM for some time.  I cannot say for sure that this was a fleet wide change. As I recall it happened when the drinks became unlimited during that period.  Celebrity also did not offer the CC Happy Hour on the day of the Captain Club celebration. (Cancelled since the restart). So it was 5 days out of a 7 day cruise.  

I am not  really sure why Celebrity would want to expand the program for the first night. (Since it has never been available on the 1st night) I suspect they sell more drinks than average on the first night.  Perhaps if Celebrity finds that there is a significant percentage of passengers sailing with a cruise only fare, they will make a change.  A different type of CC enhancement might apply to more passengers, since most Elite members already have some type of drink package.  I would not expect Celebrity to do anything to encourage people to book “cruise only” rates instead of the AI.  

It would be interesting to know what percentage of passengers are booked with a “cruise only” rate and how many are, Elite and above.  For many of us, the HH free drinks have had no value since the introduction of bundling/drink packages many years ago.  Extra OBC or a cruise fare discount would be much more valuable to most of us.  

We (elite and above) had unlimited drinks loaded on our SeaPass cards to be used at other bars (5 to 7) if you didn't want to go to the Sky Lounge during the CC HH in the past (before the shut down). 

When was your last Celebrity cruise?  If the Sky Lounge was open to all, then it wouldn't have been the CC HH. Speaking only for us, we would like to see the CC HH brought back and to include all seven evenings of the cruise.  

Cruise only fare wouldn't be a deciding factor as it was never in the past (before AI). How do you know whether or not most elite (or above) already have some type of drink package? Celebrity isn't deterring anyone from booking cruise only as they recently change from only AI bookings to choosing AI or cruise only. Same when Celebrity offered the three different bundling programs. 

Only speaking for us,  going to the CC HH (we would go from 5 to 5:45)  isn't all about the drinks and the snacks.

Speaking only for us, we liked the three different bundling packages you could choose from. We always took the package that offered the CBP, Gratuities and OBC. We liked that better than the AI only for the reason, unlimited WiFi is useless to us. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, jagoffee said:

I am not  really sure why Celebrity would want to expand the program for the first night.

As a member of other cruise/airline/hotel programs I think it would just be more in line with their offerings and another step towards the care-free attitude when you step onboard versus studying policies.

One evening we entered the dining room, drink in hand. When we finished them our waiter asked if we wanted another; we explained it was just a CC HH drink and he said no worries, he will take care of it, and had a drink delivered to us and one waiting the next evening. It was a very class touch we thought. However on Royal Caribbean, I can simply ask the waiter without feeling like I'm putting them on the spot, or like it's special treatment.

Wait staff at the buffet would serve us drinks during HH if we dined there; including at the Oceanview bar that was open until 7. It's just slightly incongruous that I could sit on a beautiful oceanview terrace at 6:30PM eating dinner and having waitstaff bring me a comped drink, while if I was in the enclosed dining room downstairs at the same time, they could not. 

I'm not on Cruise Critic to armchair CFO how cruiselines can slice a bit more profit; I'm a paying customer and here to advocate for the things I think would be improvements to my experience, no matter how slight they may be. Observations, thoughts, discussions, not demands or hardlines of course. I find it strange others will say 'Well, that's how it has always been done'. That's not a logic or explanation, just a fact of how something has been handled.  

Two minor changes; HH the first evening, and availability in dining room would be two small changes to the program that would increase my satisfaction. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

The OP asked if it was new or had always been that way.  It is not new, it has always been done that way.  Sorry you didn’t like that answer 

I don't mind the answer at all.  I just think "the way" has room for improvement. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruisestitch said:

The OP asked if it was new or had always been that way.  It is not new, it has always been done that way.  Sorry you didn’t like that answer 

They also did not have it on the day of the Senior Officers event. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

On my last RCI cruise they only depleted my daily drinks if I ordered somewhere outside the Diamond Lounge.  Inside the DL they still treated it as unlimited.  It doesn't much matter to me; I generally just have 2 or 3 drinks over the time.  I found Celebrity much more restrictive as it is for an hour less and does not apply in the dining room either; usually would have a pre-dinner drink and then get another to go into dinner with.

But the first day thing really makes no sense to me at all. Even if it is new guests onboard, not sure why that matters. Not as important to me that they did away with a dedicated lounge. I think the Sky Lounge should be open to everyone as it's one of the best venues on the ship. In fact I think they should offer all guests onboard 5pm specials in the Sky Lounge to make it a more convivial place to be. 

Not sure when your last cruise was on RCI but, now, with the vouchers you're charged for drinks in the DL.

4 hours ago, Orator said:

Crew is a bit busy on the 1st day.

I view it as "more of the same" once the evening rolls around; bars open, food service open. It never really ends. Bars at resorts and on land manage with a constant change of guests. The answer feels a bit of a cop out. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

Not sure when your last cruise was on RCI but, now, with the vouchers you're charged for drinks in the DL.

October of 21 was my previous RCI. They did not scan our cards in the lounge. 

We never went to the Elite Happy Hour. We dine around 8:15-8 30 so “free” drinks from 5-7 ended before we were ready for a pre dinner drink or 2. 

If you want drinks in the MDR or on the first night, or before or after 5-7 then book a AI fare.  If you like the vouchers and DL on Royal book a cruise on Royal. 
Personally I would like drinks delivered to our cabin at no charge but that’s not what Celebrity offers so I know that when I book and don’t book and then complain that I don’t like what I booked.

• Like 8

9 hours ago, davekathy said:

We (elite and above) had unlimited drinks loaded on our SeaPass cards to be used at other bars (5 to 7) if you didn't want to go to the Sky Lounge during the CC HH in the past (before the shut down). 

When was your last Celebrity cruise?  If the Sky Lounge was open to all, then it wouldn't have been the CC HH. Speaking only for us, we would like to see the CC HH brought back and to include all seven evenings of the cruise.  

Cruise only fare wouldn't be a deciding factor as it was never in the past (before AI). How do you know whether or not most elite (or above) already have some type of drink package? Celebrity isn't deterring anyone from booking cruise only as they recently change from only AI bookings to choosing AI or cruise only. Same when Celebrity offered the three different bundling programs. 

Only speaking for us,  going to the CC HH (we would go from 5 to 5:45)  isn't all about the drinks and the snacks.

Speaking only for us, we liked the three different bundling packages you could choose from. We always took the package that offered the CBP, Gratuities and OBC. We liked that better than the AI only for the reason, unlimited WiFi is useless to us. 

We have had this discussion on line previously.  My last Celebrity cruise was in October 2021 (TA) on the Apex.  They had some kind of gathering in Eden’s where they served some appetizers, but I am fairly certain that it was open to everyone.

My last experience in the Sky Lounge was about a year before the shutdown.  Entrance to the Sky Lounge between 5-7 Pm was not restricted and I recall some people complaining about it.

I do not know if most people have some kind of drink package, but it seems like it to me for some time.   It would be Interesting to see the numbers.  Celebrity certainly knows.  

Personally I do not see much upside (or need) for Celebrity to add days and enhanced the free drink portion of the Captain Club benefits. I believe their focus is in a different direction.  Why would Celebrity what to expand a program that discourage people from purchasing with AI or to purchase a drink package?

I agree with Celebrity’s position that the previous 123 and BBB bundles caused confusion and it was somewhat difficult to manage. 

I am glad that Celebrity is back to offering “cruise only” fares for cabins below Aqua Class.  I would never take advantage of the fare, but it is good to have it.  The differences in fare compared to the AI does make it difficult to know the prices for each of the individual extra items.  It does seem like a good bargain.

7 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

I view it as "more of the same" once the evening rolls around; bars open, food service open. It never really ends. Bars at resorts and on land manage with a constant change of guests. The answer feels a bit of a cop out. 

The drinks were part of an actual social hour event. You had to go to the social hour. They did not organize it the first evening.  Or the day of the senior officers event. We are going back 20 years or more for the origins of the social hour. The same bar staff was assigned every evening. The first night may have been their night off. So the tradition that has been for years before vouchers and the putting the drinks on seapass cards has continued. They have seen no reason to change it.  As an Elite Plus from cruising on Celebrity, not gaining status through reciprocity. I am used to it. I accept it. It does not bother me. If you prefer the RC policy you should cruise with them not Celebrity. I am a Diamond on RC earned too, not by reciprocity and I do think their perks are better but I would still pick Celebrity over Royal any day. So cruise Royal to get you extra day of cheap free drinks. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, jelayne said:

We never went to the Elite Happy Hour. We dine around 8:15-8 30 so “free” drinks from 5-7 ended before we were ready for a pre dinner drink or 2. 

If you want drinks in the MDR or on the first night, or before or after 5-7 then book a AI fare.  If you like the vouchers and DL on Royal book a cruise on Royal. 
Personally I would like drinks delivered to our cabin at no charge but that’s not what Celebrity offers so I know that when I book and don’t book and then complain that I don’t like what I booked.

Strangest reply yet 

1 minute ago, Charles4515 said:

The drinks were part of an actual social hour event. You had to go to the social hour. They did not organize it the first evening.  Or the day of the senior officers event. We are going back 20 years or more for the origins of the social hour. The same bar staff was assigned every evening. The first night may have been their night off. So the tradition that has been for years before vouchers and the putting the drinks on seapass cards has continued. They have seen no reason to change it.  As an Elite Plus from cruising on Celebrity, not gaining status through reciprocity. I am used to it. I accept it. It does not bother me. If you prefer the RC policy you should cruise with them not Celebrity. I am a Diamond on RC earned too, not by reciprocity and I do think their perks are better but I would still pick Celebrity over Royal any day. So cruise Royal to get you extra day of cheap free drinks. 

I appreciate the explanation early on, but the smug attitude the second half...unnecessary.   It seems to idea of discussion of ideas has been abandoned, everyone just takes a side and defends it with or without merit. 

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

I appreciate the explanation early on, but the smug attitude the second half...unnecessary.   It seems to idea of discussion of ideas has been abandoned, everyone just takes a side and defends it with or without merit. 

What I was trying to say is that I don't think not having the happy hour the first day is  important to Celebrity regular cruisers. I don't recall it being complained about before on the Cruise Critic Celebrity forum although it could haave been.  You are making an issue out of something that has not been an issue for 20 years because it is done differently on Royal. There has not always been reciprocity so you are lucky to be getting free drinks any night. The free drinks on Celebrity is from a pretty limited menu. Not having them the first night is not a big deal. I would rather pay for a martini at the martini bar.  I will be honest. I never liked them giving reciprocity to the mass of Royal Crown and Anchor members because there are a lot more of them than Captains Club members.

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

What I was trying to say is that I don't think not having the happy hour the first day is  important to Celebrity regular cruisers. I don't recall it being complained about before on the Cruise Critic Celebrity forum although it could haave been.  You are making an issue out of something that has not been an issue for 20 years because it is done differently on Royal. There has not always been reciprocity so you are lucky to be getting free drinks any night. The free drinks on Celebrity is from a pretty limited menu. Not having them the first night is not a big deal. I would rather pay for a martini at the martini bar.  I will be honest. I never liked them giving reciprocity to the mass of Royal Crown and Anchor members because there are a lot more of them than Captains Club members.

Just your opinion. That's fine. I disagree with every word of it.