The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday July 17th, 2022

richwmn

33 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Just curious, has anyone wondered what things are like on the Volendam?  How and where are meals served.  Have public rooms been converted to bunk space.  What do they have to occupy their time?  Also wonder how much they will need to do to get the ship back ready for service.

Roy

Good questions!  It would be nice if someone had some reports from the ship on how it's all working, but perhaps they feel it would be an invasion of the refugees' privacy.  Anyway, the Volendam is my next booked "ride" so I hope they can get things ready in time.  I'm wondering about the ship sitting in port so long because that sounds like it could affect a lot of systems.

5 minutes ago, bennybear said:

You are most welcome.  Japan is simply amazing,  I hope you can go one day.

Of course I’m glad for your news, and wish everyone would do the right thing, it would sure help with the spread.    Our son did the same thing and stayed home until he tested negative.   As there are so many dealing with this nasty disease and I do not wish to miss anyone  I thought it best to refrain from naming individuals as I don’t wish to hurt  anyone’s feelings if I accidentally omit someone.   I truly hope that this is in our rear view mirror sooner than later, but alas I’m not hopeful.

all the best.

You'll be glad to know that everyone I know with Covid, or who recently had Covid, stayed home and did their best to stay away from any other residents in the home.  Still, it just keeps on spreading!  Great news that Sarah is negative now.  I don't blame her for celebrating!

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruisermentioned her spare time being spent working on her ancestry, always an interesting occupation of an afternoon.  I recently tried starting a new photo book with the photos taken on our Island Princess cruise.  Unfortunately in the past two years they have changed up the process, graphics and anything else they could think in regards to photo book making at Shutterfly.  Nothing works as well as it used to, and they even removed some of the tools I used to use on every book, like a button to undo your last step, add a photo box to the layout, and even cut down on the layouts for the back cover.  I like the books to be consistent and I'm not sure it's possible now.  I stopped working on it right away and haven't gone back because it's going to be a chore now instead of fun.  Very disappointing!

• Like 17
  • Thanks 3

25 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Roy it looks like business as usual:

The government originally chartered the ship through the end of JUN 2022 but has asked to extend for an additional 10 weeks. Under the agreement, Holland America Line is providing hot meals, private stateroom accommodations, housekeeping services, laundry, use of public spaces, fitness facilities, internet access and other necessities. Volendam is staffed with approximately 650 crew members.

Joy, thanks for the information.  Knowing the HAL crew, I'm sure the refugees are being treated just like we are treated.  If I had the misfortune to be a refugee, I would hope to be housed on a HAL ship.

3 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good questions!  It would be nice if someone had some reports from the ship on how it's all working, but perhaps they feel it would be an invasion of the refugees' privacy.  Anyway, the Volendam is my next booked "ride" so I hope they can get things ready in time.  I'm wondering about the ship sitting in port so long because that sounds like it could affect a lot of systems.

You'll be glad to know that everyone I know with Covid, or who recently had Covid, stayed home and did their best to stay away from any other residents in the home.  Still, it just keeps on spreading!  Great news that Sarah is negative now.  I don't blame her for celebrating!

Lenda @Quartzsite Cruisermentioned her spare time being spent working on her ancestry, always an interesting occupation of an afternoon.  I recently tried starting a new photo book with the photos taken on our Island Princess cruise.  Unfortunately in the past two years they have changed up the process, graphics and anything else they could think in regards to photo book making at Shutterfly.  Nothing works as well as it used to, and they even removed some of the tools I used to use on every book, like a button to undo your last step, add a photo box to the layout, and even cut down on the layouts for the back cover.  I like the books to be consistent and I'm not sure it's possible now.  I stopped working on it right away and haven't gone back because it's going to be a chore now instead of fun.  Very disappointing!

Sandi, from what was said in 2020 about ships being laid up, there will probably need to be some maintenance, but at least, this time with a lot of crew, they are probably better able to keep the Volendam in decent shape.

Thank all your relatives for being responsible and quarantining when they were testing positive.  I'm sure all the Dailyites and their families have behaved responsibility.  I just wish I could say the same about some of our neighbors, and that's why we don't visit with them very often.  And now, it seems it is not even safe to gather outdoors.

It was interesting delving into our family history.  One one line of ancestors, I traced back 17 generations, not including me and the DDs.

I hope you can figure out how to get the picture book of your last cruise done to match the others.  Sometimes, new and improved just isn't.  I feel the same way when buying clothes or anything I like.  When I find something I like, I will buy in in several colors, because I know when I want to get more, they will no longer be in stock or even being made.  

Lenda

• Like 20

1 hour ago, 4966and556 said:

@XBGuy the Toronto airport (Pearson) is a place of missed flights and baggage chaos  right now.   Rogers Telecommunications  advertises itself as Canada's best Telecommunications company with a 5G network...  Rogers entire network went down and messed up internet and banking and phones and stores and banks had to close because of it.  People that use Rogers couldn't use their phones or internet.  It was a huge mess for a few days.  Now the company is promising to credit everyone for 5 days of lost service.  Worse chaos than the Toronto airport.

Thank you.

What a mess.

• Like 16

9 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Joy, thanks for the information.  Knowing the HAL crew, I'm sure the refugees are being treated just like we are treated.  If I had the misfortune to be a refugee, I would hope to be housed on a HAL ship.

Sandi, from what was said in 2020 about ships being laid up, there will probably need to be some maintenance, but at least, this time with a lot of crew, they are probably better able to keep the Volendam in decent shape.

Thank all your relatives for being responsible and quarantining when they were testing positive.  I'm sure all the Dailyites and their families have behaved responsibility.  I just wish I could say the same about some of our neighbors, and that's why we don't visit with them very often.  And now, it seems it is not even safe to gather outdoors.

It was interesting delving into our family history.  One one line of ancestors, I traced back 17 generations, not including me and the DDs.

I hope you can figure out how to get the picture book of your last cruise done to match the others.  Sometimes, new and improved just isn't.  I feel the same way when buying clothes or anything I like.  When I find something I like, I will buy in in several colors, because I know when I want to get more, they will no longer be in stock or even being made.  

Lenda

Lenda, going back 17 generations is an amazing feat!  I would love to know about mine from way back then.  Somewhere, somehow, someone was keeping excellent records for your ancestors!

• Like 16

6 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

I forgot to mention that a former fleet member, the Vasco de Gama (HAL Statendam) is in Geiranger today and can be seen on the YouTube Live feed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMSc-qqW3To

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu15hl3Eu7U

- Jack

Yes, and she looks good!  The new owners have changed her over to use marine oil rather than heavy fuel oil for less emissions.  I hope the other S class ships are returned to service.

• Like 16

11 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Lenda, going back 17 generations is an amazing feat!  I would love to know about mine from way back then.  Somewhere, somehow, someone was keeping excellent records for your ancestors!

I was surprised about 17 generations, and some others branches go back 12 to 14 generations.  Most of them were English and Scottish ancestors.  The Church of England records were almost always cited in the list of records.  The earliest ancestors I've found so far were born in 1543-1544.  I noticed the alumnae records of Oxford go back tomthe early 1200s.

Other branches of the familly five or six generations.  They will take further digging in other sites to find more ancestors.  That's for another time in the future.

Lenda

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Good afternoon from a cloudy central Texas, but I don't think we'll get any rain.  At least, there is a breeze and the humidity is 25% with a dew point of 65F but it is 90F right now.  I made the mistake of looking at the future forecast and tomorrow and Tuesday, it will be 108F.  We're staying in the house as much as possible, but will have to go our tomorrow and Tuesday.  

I decided that tonight's dinner will be air fried chicken with the leftover mash potatoes and gravy and Watergate salad, plus the lemon blueberry cake.  I hope it tastes as good as it looks.

Not much happening here.  I've been spending some time on Ancestry.com and finding more ancestors.  A few I have traced back to the mid to late 1500s in England and Scotland.  The Church of England kept a lot better records than those in the colonies. I also found some German and Prussian ancestors.  It's an interesting way to spend a hot afternoon. 

@aliaschief  I hope you can get help for your chronic sinusitis before you leave Thursday.  Glad the test was negative.

@Rowsby  DH has a couple of oximeter's, and I'm pretty sure one was with us on the Koningsdam this year, but fortunately not needed.  It is good advice for anyone traveling at this time.

@bennybear  Thank you for the wonderful pictures from Japan.  I hope sometime we are there when it is that clear, and we can see Fuji San.

@AV8rix  I could never join Ice Cream Anonymous, so I guess I'll just have to find another way to get to and keep my target weight.  Congratulations on being sober for 7 years.  😉

@grapau27  As I said earlier, I'm glad Sarah tested negative today.  I wish more people would follow her example, but too many are not taking Covid seriously, even with the new variants.  I hope Sarah can control her seizures.

@Cruising-along  Carolyn, good luck on your A1C test tomorrow.  I hope your numbers are within the acceptable range.

@rafinmd  Those are all good questions about the Volendam.  I also wonder how many refugees are on board, and if some are finding permanent places to live and new refugees are coming on board.  Hope fully, they will be served in the MDR and the Lido, but I wonder about the Pinnacle.

Lenda

Thank you Lenda for your always kind words.

It is worrying that people do not have to isolate in the UK with Covid.

It is a big worry health-wise plus when we still need to test to get on a ship and need to get a negative result to sail.

Sarah has new medication so we will see if it helps.

Graham.

• Like 10

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Lenda for your always kind words.

It is worrying that people do not have to isolate in the UK with Covid.

It is a big worry health-wise plus when we still need to test to get on a ship and need to get a negative result to sail.

Sarah has new medication so we will see if it helps.

Graham.

I hope the new medicine helps Sarah.

Lenda

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Greetings, everyone!

we are having a total blast so far.  We were in boarding group 5 and were on the ship by 11:45.  We had lunch in the dining room, made updates to our dining reservations, and stopped by the Lido for peanut butter pie for Sue.    Tonight we had dinner in Sel de Mar.  It was excellent.  

@Crazy For Cats Happy Anniversary to you and Juan.  

@1ANGELCATSorry to read about the accident, but glad you are ok.

More later

• Like 26
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

You are most welcome.  Japan is simply amazing,  I hope you can go one day.

Of course I’m glad for your news, and wish everyone would do the right thing, it would sure help with the spread.    Our son did the same thing and stayed home until he tested negative.   As there are so many dealing with this nasty disease and I do not wish to miss anyone  I thought it best to refrain from naming individuals as I don’t wish to hurt  anyone’s feelings if I accidentally omit someone.   I truly hope that this is in our rear view mirror sooner than later, but alas I’m not hopeful.

all the best.

Thank you.

Pauline quite fancies circumnavigating  Australia and her cousin in Adelaide Australia keeps asking us to come over and stay.

I would like to visit the South Pacific and Polynesia.

Your enthusiasm for Japan is encouraging and something we will need to look at.

Graham.

• Like 11

2 hours ago, bennybear said:

Japan is simply amazing,  I hope you can go one day.

I studied Japanese literature in college, but I've never been there. I had booked a cruise from Yokohama for this spring on Celebrity, but it was cancelled. There was an offer to transfer the booking to 2023, but the date wouldn't work for me, and I don't think that the 2023 sailing will take place, either. I suspect that Japan will be one of the last, if not the very last, country, to reopen to tourism.

For this spring I switched to the Greek islands cruise, replacing one cancelled in 2021, and for 2023 I've booked a transatlantic itinerary.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

I studied Japanese literature in college, but I've never been there. I had booked a cruise from Yokohama for this spring on Celebrity, but it was cancelled. There was an offer to transfer the booking to 2023, but the date wouldn't work for me, and I don't think that the 2023 sailing will take place, either. I suspect that Japan will be one of the last, if not the very last, country, to reopen to tourism.

For this spring I switched to the Greek islands cruise, replacing one cancelled in 2021, and for 2023 I've booked a transatlantic itinerary.

Ooh, I’m sure the Japanese literature was interesting. I agree Japan will be one of the last.  We had two more cruises booked there, one that was cancelled and another we think will be as  well. 
The Greek islands are another of our favourites, I studied classics in my first degree. 

• Like 13

Good Afternoon from an overcast but warm day at the beach.

The Birthday party was a big success. One of the guests is a part time DJ and he brought his equipment. ( unknown to me). So after a little discussion, we worked it all out. Turned  out great. He had a great playlist, even " Sweet Caroline" which is a most loved song of my Boston relatives. So everyone was up on their feet ! Great time and I am exhausted today.  They all head back tomorrow.

@Crazy For CatsA very Happy Anniversary to you. May you have many more.

@dfish glad you are enjoying your cruise! Have lots of fun.

Stay safe and enjoy today.

• Like 21

Good Evening, thank you all for the well wishes on our anniversary.  It was very much appreciated.  We made alternate plans and went to Jalapeños for a nice dinner.  The fried plantains with caramel sauce was an excellent dessert.  Later we also had some chocolate ice cream.

@dfish I’m glad that you made it to the ship.  I’m looking forward to seeing the pictures.  

image.thumb.png.fe620a88853ea471fd25fde16e1b4a24.png

• Like 19
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Westy is now leaving Seattle.

Sounds like about a half hour late.  Hope it's fixed but if not they can hopefully still salvage a decent cruise.

Roy

• Like 10

Thought I would share what’s blooming now in NW Washington. 
I’ve had a lovely afternoon working in the garden. 

Astilbe and Sweet Peas

1235F195-5B0B-4DE4-A78E-A8FEEA98A7ED.thumb.jpeg.46f0ad1703e2a289b51d7157ae9eee73.jpeg

A minute ago a hummingbird was in this Bee Balm. Of course when I raised my phone for a photo it flew off. 

2506A469-63E6-4822-9A66-5BE43714C192.thumb.jpeg.a7bf28823a0db3fc90e5260c7826e323.jpeg

C38D56E6-B520-495C-925E-45E5E922A2EB.thumb.jpeg.5efe769fbbc51e8c0507e8c563cb2766.jpeg

71A0E814-3531-4CFF-8D8B-4BF19E43BF06.thumb.jpeg.1e42ec032bb56072a6a66a0e122f1b22.jpeg

38A9168B-62C4-4EA1-88C7-6304BE01788F.thumb.jpeg.8ee03bdae18fc34621c845cd6704aeeb.jpeg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 4

7 minutes ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

@Cruising-alongI envy you your roses and astilbe. The deer have managed to leave me wonderful stalks on the astilbe, and I gave up on roses several years ago. At least they've left the bee balm alone! And I love your sweet peas.

Thank you and I feel your pain about the deer. I had deer problems when we lived near Bremerton. Here I battle the slugs but no 4-legged pests. 

• Like 13

2 hours ago, dfish said:

Greetings, everyone!

we are having a total blast so far.  We were in boarding group 5 and were on the ship by 11:45.  We had lunch in the dining room, made updates to our dining reservations, and stopped by the Lido for peanut butter pie for Sue.    Tonight we had dinner in Sel de Mar.  It was excellent.  

More later

Debbie, I'm very happy your cruise is off to such a good start.  

1 hour ago, cunnorl said:

Good Afternoon from an overcast but warm day at the beach.

The Birthday party was a big success. One of the guests is a part time DJ and he brought his equipment. ( unknown to me). So after a little discussion, we worked it all out. Turned  out great. He had a great playlist, even " Sweet Caroline" which is a most loved song of my Boston relatives. So everyone was up on their feet ! Great time and I am exhausted today.  They all head back tomorrow.

@Crazy For CatsA very Happy Anniversary to you. May you have many more.

@dfish glad you are enjoying your cruise! Have lots of fun.

Stay safe and enjoy today.

What great news the party was a huge success.  How nice of a guest to bring his dj equipment to add to the festivities.

36 minutes ago, 4966and556 said:

Just heard that this area of Ontario has only had 1/5th of the usual amount of rain for July.   No wonder our grass is brown with a trace of green.  

Our rainy months are March through June, and we are behind in our rain totals.  Our yard is brown, but at least our grass goes dormant and should green up with rain or water.  We're under voluntary water restrictions, so I'm holding off watering as long as possible.

25 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Thought I would share what’s blooming now in NW Washington. 
I’ve had a lovely afternoon working in the garden. 

Astilbe and Sweet Peas

1235F195-5B0B-4DE4-A78E-A8FEEA98A7ED.thumb.jpeg.46f0ad1703e2a289b51d7157ae9eee73.jpeg

A minute ago a hummingbird was in this Bee Balm. Of course when I raised my phone for a photo it flew off. 

2506A469-63E6-4822-9A66-5BE43714C192.thumb.jpeg.a7bf28823a0db3fc90e5260c7826e323.jpeg

C38D56E6-B520-495C-925E-45E5E922A2EB.thumb.jpeg.5efe769fbbc51e8c0507e8c563cb2766.jpeg

71A0E814-3531-4CFF-8D8B-4BF19E43BF06.thumb.jpeg.1e42ec032bb56072a6a66a0e122f1b22.jpeg

38A9168B-62C4-4EA1-88C7-6304BE01788F.thumb.jpeg.8ee03bdae18fc34621c845cd6704aeeb.jpeg

Your flowers are lovely.  Flowers wouldn’t stand a chance here this year.

Lenda

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dfish said:

Greetings, everyone!

More later

Glad you’re having a good time.  Enjoy every minute and please stay safe.

Terri

• Like 13

3 hours ago, dfish said:

Greetings, everyone!

YAY 😀 sounds like you are off to a great start 👍 

So happy to hear it and enjoy 🙂 

1 hour ago, SusieKIslandGirl said:

The deer have managed to leave me wonderful stalks on the astilbe, and I gave up on roses several years ago. At least they've left the bee balm alone!

Oh dear Susie - that was my lament as the blasted things went through my garden and chomped every flower as it was about to bloom 22 years ago.

DH said there was only two ways to deal with all these deer - a fence or a gun - so we got a fence 😉. but anything outside of the fence is tough to survive.  The shrubs that grew before the deer got more domesticated do and the peonies and monkshood - but a lot of them are subject to deer abuse whether they are “deer resistant” or not.

@Cruising-alonggorgeous flowers and pics 👍 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

Good evening from Rocky Mount, NC.  

We had an uneventful drive, thank God from our home in Bluffton, SC.  We had a few downpours but then the sun came out and the traffic was pretty good on I-95 for most of the way.  There was a good bit of construction in NC.  

It took us 5 hours to get here and tomorrow we only have 2 1/2 hours drive.  

In retrospect, we should have planned better and stopped half way and made the driving shorter today.  

We ate at the Outback.  This is not my favorite place to eat and this meal certainly did not change my mind.   We will find another place on the way home.

The good news is that we were upgraded to a suite at the hotel.  It’s not super luxurious.  We’re staying at a Courtyard by Marriott.  Anyway, we are grateful for the extra space.

I did most of the driving and DH did most of the sleeping.  So I am a bit tired tonight.

So with that I will say Good night and God Bless.

Terri

• Like 19

@Cruzin Terri  Drive safe.  I personally live by Cracker Barrel Travels.  Thursday being the best day with Thanksgiving turkey, alas, our next drive will be on a Sunday, and Cracker Barrel is the pre church, post church, feed your momma place on Sundays.  Be safe and have good time!

@dfish Your cruise sounds great so far!  Enjoy!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1