CDC ends Covid program for cruises

WNcruiser

Just now, WNcruiser said:

https://apple.news/AJOhoFJXwR3m3M-4g0lF0xQ

The CDC just announced it is ending its voluntary Covid program for all cruises in the US. 

This should now mean the end of pre-cruise testing! 

They plan on giving ships different protocols, but this good news indeed.

From the CDC:

As of July 18, 2022, CDC’s COVID-19 Program for Cruise Ships is no longer in effect. CDC will continue to publish guidance to help cruise ships continue to provide a safer and healthier environment for passengers, crew and communities going forward. For more information, please see the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).

I would love if it would end the testing- however I think they will start letting unvacinated passengers on first and see how that goes, but still have testing in place.

Edited by kathyr
  • Haha 2

"The CDC said on its website that it will keep giving testing recommendations for cruise ship operators, and that vessels will keep reporting cases to the agency. "

So what actually is the material change now? 

Just a word of caution for those who feel compelled to voice their opinions on the current decision - previous threads on this new announcement have already been locked due to violations of the COVID discussion policy. Sharing info and facts is fine, but please keep your opinions to yourself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, LMaxwell said:

I suspect we’ll hear something tomorrow. This announcement has taken social media by storm with tons of speculation. Celebrity will have to address it, either with new protocol or merely acknowledging it and say they are working on policy behind the scenes. 

2 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

"The CDC said on its website that it will keep giving testing recommendations for cruise ship operators, and that vessels will keep reporting cases to the agency. "

The color code system is completely gone. There is no opting in or opting out of the program anymore for cruise ships.  Previously cruise lines/ships that opted in had to follow the recommendations.

13 minutes ago, prmssk said:

The color code system is completely gone. There is no opting in or opting out of the program anymore for cruise ships.  Previously cruise lines/ships that opted in had to follow the recommendations.

With the prior system I wasn't aware of any that had opted out. I guess will have to wait and see what the changes are for how cruise lines will operate and/or the impact to guests/bookings it will have. 

14 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

With the prior system I wasn't aware of any that had opted out. I guess will have to wait and see what the changes are for how cruise lines will operate and/or the impact to guests/bookings it will have. 

I am pretty sure none of the major ones opted out under the prior system.  There was obviously a benefit to them participating in the program and so they were willing to go along with the CDC's recommendations (or maybe they agreed with the CDC's recommendations and so had no reason to opt out).  It will be interesting to see what happens now that the program doesn't exist.  It will also be interesting to see what, if any, changes to their recommendations the CDC makes.

1 hour ago, LMaxwell said:

Previously, cruise lines that opted in (all the majors did) had to follow all the CDC protocols. Now it's just CDC recommendations and the cruise lines can run their businesses as they see fit.

Just keep in mind that the cruise lines are also bound by the regulations of other countries that the ship may visit. Case in point- Canada. Whether the cruise line requires testing or not- Canada currently does prior to boarding if the ship goes to or leaves from any Canadian port. I’m not up on the regulations in other countries but I imagine that Canada is not alone. 

I'm on BTB cruises in the Med in October on Constellation. I know this is only the CDC program, with potential impact to US ships. But I would be surprised if testing requirements continue much longer in Europe either -- already there are reports of many fewer places that are offering testing, which will make it increasingly difficult for travelers to meet boarding requirements.

2 hours ago, kathyr said:

I would love if it would end the testing- however I think they will start letting unvacinated passengers on first and see how that goes, but still have testing in place.

Hope that never happens 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The cruise lines will have knowledge of how many positive cases are being stopped from boarding, based on the last minute cancelations they get because of positive results. That can help them evaluate the risk to staff and passengers. Tests are a hassle  but some comfort as well, potentially reducing my exposure to getting sick and being confined to my cabin.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mom says said:

Just a word of caution for those who feel compelled to voice their opinions on the current decision - previous threads on this new announcement have already been locked due to violations of the COVID discussion policy. Sharing info and facts is fine, but please keep your opinions to yourself.

I was wondering why that other thread got locked. I guess I don’t know what violates the COVID discussion policy because I don’t remember seeing anything that I thought was out of line.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, kayakcove said:

The cruise lines will have knowledge of how many positive cases are being stopped from boarding, based on the last minute cancelations they get because of positive results. That can help them evaluate the risk to staff and passengers. Tests are a hassle  but some comfort as well, potentially reducing my exposure to getting sick and being confined to my cabin.

Yes they have that information.  Why am I not confident that their evaluation of the risk to passengers (me) would align with mine?

24 minutes ago, blackshirt said:

I was wondering why that other thread got locked. I guess I don’t know what violates the COVID discussion policy because I don’t remember seeing anything that I thought was out of line.

Anyone starting a back-and-forth about non-cruise Covid policies and vax choices, especially with comments about whether someone's choice is not smart or necessary, threatens to get a thread blocked. Keeping it about actual information and personal experiences with X seems to be safe.

Sometimes a thread gets real contentious and, despite getting blocked, is left up because the other posts may be helpful (and really bad ones may be deleted by the time you see it).

Edited by mayleeman
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, RichYak said:

Previously, cruise lines that opted in (all the majors did) had to follow all the CDC protocols. Now it's just CDC recommendations and the cruise lines can run their businesses as they see fit.

Just like every other business in the USA.  About time.

• Like 5

I sincerely hope the cruise lines will decide to end pre-cruise testing for one virus.  We all assume the risk of catching a bug on a cruise and engage in safe hygiene practices when sailing.  Prior to COVID, the big fear on ships was Norovirus, which is still a real thing.  One can also catch a cold, the flu, and other infections anywhere we go.  

I saw that Carnival will allow 10% of its passengers to be unvaccinated.   I'm cool with that.  Again, we all accept the risks of travel, which will never slow me down! 

Just now, Saturngrl said:

I sincerely hope the cruise lines will decide to end pre-cruise testing for one virus.  We all assume the risk of catching a bug on a cruise and engage in safe hygiene practices when sailing.  Prior to COVID, the big fear on ships was Norovirus, which is still a real thing.  One can also catch a cold, the flu, and other infections anywhere we go.  

I saw that Carnival will allow 10% of its passengers to be unvaccinated.   I'm cool with that.  Again, we all accept the risks of travel, which will never slow me down! 

If the new Omicron-specific booster vaccines are introduced soon, and then seasonal boosters after that matching the COVID circulating strains, it will be very much like managing Flu.  It remains to be seen if cruise lines will require cruisers to be Up To Date on Covid vaccines.  I hope so.  But they have no requirement for Flu vaccines.  It is our personal choice.  

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Now if Canada will follow the CDC’s lead in the next few weeks, that would be great as we’re on a cruise from NJ to Iceland in early August with port stops in Canada. 😁

I don't think it will, they just reintroduced random testing when landing at the airport 

• Like 1