The CATS holy wars thread...

Cats is very much an acquired taste and some never acquire it!  For this reason, I guess it’s an odd choice for a mass market cruise line.  Me?  I would never waste time at Mamma Mia or Grease, 2 shows with absolutely no redeeming qualities IMHO.  I think they should bring Jersey Boys on board!  We could all sing together!!!

• Like 1

I liked absolutely nothing about CATS.  Well, when it ended was great.

I go to a venue to be entertained for the moment.  I don't want to HAVE to "study" something else before going in to the venue to understand it.  If I want to do that, I'd want to watch a show about real history or event.  

Edited by Ret MP
  • Like 4

On 7/18/2022 at 10:05 PM, bgoff60 said:

One thing you LIKED about CATS and one thing you did NOT like about CATS...

How can someone not enjoy Rum Tum Tugger?  Even if you don’t like the show overall, some of his parts are really funny.  Last time we saw it on Oasis the performer playing him was absolutely outstanding and he had the audience smiling and laughing.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Memory is one of my top 10 favorite songs of all time - worth it for that alone.

@poocherI have been lobbying for Jersey Boys forever, we definitely need a change. Heck, I would settle for Guys and Dolls or Oklahoma!

Edited by AlohaLivin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, topnole said:

How can someone not enjoy Rum Tum Tugger?  Even if you don’t like the show overall, some of his parts are really funny.  Last time we saw it on Oasis the performer playing him was absolutely outstanding and he had the audience smiling and laughing.  

Even the Great Depression had some good elements to it. Cheap houses. Cheap stocks on Wall Street, Shirley Temple.  But overall the whole experience, just like Cats was rather ... how should I say it  ... Depressing! 😁

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AlohaLivin said:

Memory is one of my top 10 favorite songs of all time - worth it for that alone.

@poocherI have been lobbying for Jersey Boys forever, we definitely need a change. Heck, I would settle for Guys and Dolls or Oklahoma!

Did a ton of regional theater in my younger days.  Adelaide remains my favorite role.  She is just such fun!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, topnole said:

Unfortunately they dropped his bagpipes scene as I recall

2 hours ago, Ret MP said:

I liked absolutely nothing about CATS.  Well, when it ended was great.

I go to a venue to be entertained for the moment.  I don't want to HAVE to "study" something else before going in to the venue to understand it.  If I want to do that, I'd want to watch a show about real history or event.  

Really never understood the comments that you need to read the poems first. I never have. Figured it out on my own pretty quick

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

Even the Great Depression had some good elements to it. Cheap houses. Cheap stocks on Wall Street, Shirley Temple.  But overall the whole experience, just like Cats was rather ... how should I say it  ... Depressing! 😁

I didn’t live through the Great Depression, but my grandparent did.  I heard a lot of their stories when they were living through starvation and complete poverty with death and illness very common.  I’ve also seen Cats a few times including in the mid 80s in its prime on Broadway (I was a young and I was indeed bored).  A comparison of the Great Depression never once crossed my mind when watching Cats.  A very distasteful analogy IMO.  Comparing tremendous pain and suffering to boredom is a step too far IMO.  I’m more than certain if my grandparents were still alive they would not find it funny in any way.  I know you are just trying to be clever and gets some thumbs up on here.  But that is in poor taste IMO.  

• Like 1

I didn’t live through the Great Depression, but my grandparent did.  I heard a lot of their stories when they were living through starvation and complete poverty with death and illness very common.  I’ve also seen Cats a few times including in the mid 80s in its prime on Broadway (I was a young and I was indeed bored).  A comparison of the Great Depression never once crossed my mind when watching Cats.  A very distasteful analogy IMO.  Comparing tremendous pain and suffering to boredom is a step too far IMO.  I’m more than certain if my grandparents were still alive they would not find it funny in any way.  I know you are just trying to be clever and gets some thumbs up on here.  But that is in poor taste IMO.  

This is the problem with America these days.  No one can just take a humorous comment (and that one was) as what it was meant to be, funny.  They have to feel they were offended or slighted. 

Jokes are jokes that's what they we meant to be.  Funny

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I didn't live through the Great Depression either, but my grandmother did. My grandfather didn't survive the 1930's. She was left as a single parent to raise two small children. They had a very rough childhood growing up without a husband and a father.  Do you know where my sense of humour comes from - my grandmother#1, my aunt#2 and my dad#3. Their life view was if it doesn't kill you you can joke about it. And if it does kill you, others better step up and joke about it in your stead. I know for certain that my aunt, late father and grandmother would find my post pretty funny (not my best mind you) but would joke mercilessly about me being way, way too PC. 

Happy Cruising! 😁

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, cruisegus said:

This is the problem with America these days.  No one can just take a humorous comment (and that one was) as what it was meant to be, funny.  They have to feel they were offended or slighted. 

Wow… one post you didn’t like on cruise critic has now been generalized to this supposed downfall of the entirety of America? Something about the pot’s conversation with a kettle….

Edited by AlohaLivin

1 hour ago, cruisegus said:

Many on here rag on Cats.  There are so many lame jokes on here it is ridiculous.  I mean they are painfully bad.  I have never in my life been told I don’t have sense of humor, and I am more often told I don’t take things seriously enough.  But I am humbled to be used an example of all Americans.  

I hated Cats the first time I saw it (on tour) so I fully understand how people can react so viscerally. Also, absolutely hated the movie flop.

But .. every production I've seen since I really liked, even if just for the moment when Grizabella gets up from the floor and stands up as the music mounts and she belts out "Touch me ...". That's theatre at its best.

8 hours ago, poocher said:I would never waste time at Mamma Mia or Grease, 2 shows with absolutely no redeeming qualities IMHO.  I think they should bring Jersey Boys on board!  We could all sing together!!!

Totally agree about Grease.  It’s story line is blatantly offensive to women in so many ways.  Don’t know why this sexist nonsense was chosen by RCCL.

if anyone cares, I’m a male who also happens to love Cats.

• Like 3

Absolutely hated it ~ it was so slow and boring we walked out after 30 minutes, along with most of the people in our aisle.  There were many others that left too.  I have never seen so many people walk out of a show before and we have sailed on 20+ cruises.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yogimax said:

Totally agree about Grease.  It’s story line is blatantly offensive to women in so many ways.  Don’t know why this sexist nonsense was chosen by RCCL.

if anyone cares, I’m a male who also happens to love Cats.

I don't like Grease either.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, poocher said:

Cats is very much an acquired taste and some never acquire it!  For this reason, I guess it’s an odd choice for a mass market cruise line.  Me?  I would never waste time at Mamma Mia or Grease, 2 shows with absolutely no redeeming qualities IMHO.  I think they should bring Jersey Boys on board!  We could all sing together!!!

Usually there is at least one song that everyone seems to know from a musical.I have been to two productions of CATS and cannot recall one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Usually there is at least one song that everyone seems to know from a musical.I have been to two productions of CATS and cannot recall one.

Yes, I can sing at least 4 or 5 from “memory”😄😄

I did not cherish every meowment.

Oasis without Cats would not turn into a cat-astrophe.

Seriously speaking, a very long musical with a very loosely and  haphazardly constructed plot which centers around which cat will be chosen to come back to a new life told in nonsensical, sung poems. YMMV

• Like 1

As long as people will show up and sit through it, it will stay on the ship.  If they start playing to an empty house they'll figure it out.

Life is too short and there is so much to enjoy on a ship at sea that there's no reason to waste your time on a show that you don't enjoy.