Onboard Product Self-Promotion

Newbury newbie

2 hours ago, Lastdance said:

I would love to set up my own palm readings...(tongue and cheek)

I will say that there was a husband and wife team giving travel information about their own private excursions at seminars onboard. They were two individuals that were sanctioned by Celebrity to take cruisers on excursions, but only benefited themselves for free cruises.  For Celebrity to allow this couple to deal their travel excursion packages was one rason why I almost stopped cruising Celebrity.  We lost $140 from these scammers, as we figured out what they were doing before our excursion.  Yes, I did report them, so shame on Celebrity for allowing these two onboard.  The only information I received was that they were doing this "legally" with Celebrity. Thank goodness, I have not been aware of them doing this on any cruises that I was on for the last 7-8 years.  Whether they are still in operation, I have no idea.  They used to post on roll calls to get groups together...not like cruisers do at all trying to get a group together of 6-8 for a private cruise, but using that same idea.  Celebrity should have never allowed this to happen.

I remember that very questionable duo.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Newbury newbie said:

A bit of a random question this one! 

If you are a fare paying passenger and director of your own company, that has a fashion based product, are you allowed to self-promote it on board? I’m thinking like, posting flyers, or similar,  at cabins? May be advertising a website and/or arranging a gathering in a public space, for example? 

Would anyone know if this is allowed?

No.

1 minute ago, jmfdr said:

Do they now work in the Spa selling " crap ", oops, " life enhancing " products that Guarantee " You will look 26 yrs younger after applying etc etc--- And , for this cruise only, we are " authorized " to offer the Upgraded Supreme package for a reduced price of $ 328 , etc ,etc . Act quickly as there are only a few ( 429 ?? ) packages left ".

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, jmfdr said:

Actually there were 2 different couples.  Of course they were organizing these excursions to “help “ others on the Roll Call.   Both were making $ off the excursions they organized.  One actually told me he felt it the time they spent organizing tours deserved to be compensated. 

A few yrs  ago we cancelled a cruise b/c a duo  used the roll call to to promote making an unsanctioned movie with roll call members participation,  and  they were holding some type of pvt holiday fundraiser...???? They never let up.

Those who complained were bullied on the roll call and we were afraid there would be an incident on board, best to avoid.  Eventually Cruise Critic dropped them.

Bad enough we get the art auction ads,  spa fliers and of course GOOP promotions,.. Thankfully selling ones wares on board is a no no...very crass!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Newbury newbie said:

A bit of a random question this one! 

If you are a fare paying passenger and director of your own company, that has a fashion based product, are you allowed to self-promote it on board? I’m thinking like, posting flyers, or similar,  at cabins? May be advertising a website and/or arranging a gathering in a public space, for example? 

Would anyone know if this is allowed?

Celebrity discuss this in the Guest Conduct Policy in which they do not allow solicitation.  It is published on their website.  https://www.celebritycruises.com/company/customer-support/conduct-policy

I do see you are from the UK and should procure your local version; although likely similar or identical. 

35 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Celebrity discuss this in the Guest Conduct Policy in which they do not allow solicitation.  It is published on their website.  https://www.celebritycruises.com/company/customer-support/conduct-policy

I do see you are from the UK and should procure your local version; although likely similar or identical. 

See post #25

10 hours ago, julia said:

Ok folks...  questioned asked, questioned answered.  No need to pile on.  

Let's be serious----The question was originally asked on a whim ( hey, maybe we can write the cruise off as a Business expense ) , then took a quick left turn, then " covered up " as asking for someone else---which was an "attempt " to cover up their " Goofy " idea.

Also-- LOL--- This site is called cruise Critic -- and in order to remain in " Good Standing " we have to  Criticize, but, make sure to follow the Guidelines.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Pinboy said:

Let's be serious----The question was originally asked on a whim ( hey, maybe we can write the cruise off as a Business expense ) , then took a quick left turn, then " covered up " as asking for someone else---which was an "attempt " to cover up their " Goofy " idea.

Also-- LOL--- This site is called cruise Critic -- and in order to remain in " Good Standing " we have to  Criticize, but, make sure to follow the Guidelines.

“Let’s be serious”? How about let’s be factual. I’m all for some criticism, but keep it factual!

Contrary to your belief, I was always asking for someone else (I don’t own a business!), nor was it seen as free cruise written off as a business expense. So, far from a “cover up” of a “goofy idea”. 
I been on a few Celebrity cruises but wasn’t sure of the policy. Probably not understanding what some of the “group bookings” that I’ve seen get up to. 
The posters who came back pointing to the Celebrity booking conditions was all that was needed (thank you to them), with no need for all the other vitriolic comment. 
These forum boards can really get brutal!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Newbury newbie said:

The posters who came back pointing to the Celebrity booking conditions was all that was needed (thank you to them), with no need for all the other vitriolic comment. 

If you read back, it's because most of us would consider it a really bad idea even if permitted by Celebrity.  Guess we were surprised that this reaction wasn't anticipated by whoever raised the question on your end.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Newbury newbie said:

……Probably not understanding what some of the “group bookings” that I’ve seen get up to………

@Newbury newbie, dont understand your comment about “group bookings”….what does that have to do with asking for a friend if they can run their private business on cruise? 

I realize this entire ‘idea’ is dead before delivery, but no idea what a group booking has to do with trying to sell stuff on a cruise. Bad enough with the door bell ringing and some guy wanting to sell me solar panels or getting 1,316…ops 13117 now….emails selling stuff I never asked about.

And you don't understand peoples’ reactions and expected only ‘factual’ responses?? Personally, I have a feeling you’d not appreciate getting such stuff on cruise. Another non-factual comment.

den

Edited by Denny01

32 minutes ago, Newbury newbie said:

“Let’s be serious”? How about let’s be factual. I’m all for some criticism, but keep it factual!

Contrary to your belief, I was always asking for someone else (I don’t own a business!), nor was it seen as free cruise written off as a business expense. So, far from a “cover up” of a “goofy idea”. 
I been on a few Celebrity cruises but wasn’t sure of the policy. Probably not understanding what some of the “group bookings” that I’ve seen get up to. 

OK, let's be serious. Why would you even remotely think (asking for a friend has absolutely nothing to do with it) that anyone (fare paying passenger :classic_rolleyes:)  can solicit their (your) business on a cruise ship and especially hanging their (your) garbage on others stateroom doors promoting it?  Ridiculous!  Common sense can answer that. Hopefully in the future we don't have to hang a "no soliciting" sign on our stateroom door. 😂 

You're correct. Some of these threads can be brutal. Honestly brutal.  If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. You can do this by ignoring the responses or asking the CC Mod squad as the OP to lockdown or remove the thread. They should remove it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, julia said:

Ok folks...  questioned asked, questioned answered.  No need to pile on.  

Where's the fun in that?

48 minutes ago, Newbury newbie said:

You understand you're on the internet, right?

8 minutes ago, Newbury newbie said:

Well you can all see my photo, as I’m not anonymous. Hope to meet you all onboard one day. 

Love to meet up, but you owe me a beer for ‘making’ me read and post on this thread!! your fault for posting something kind of fun. And of course the cruise would have to be AI!!

den

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Newbury newbie said:

Well you can all see my photo, as I’m not anonymous. Hope to meet you all onboard one day. 

I don’t post my real photo……I changed it to that balding short guy photo because I got so tired of explaining to my wife all the emails I got asking me to marry them were from women (and a few men) who I’d never met and didnt ‘encourage’!

den

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

I don’t post my real photo……I changed it to that balding short guy photo because I got so tired of explaining to my wife all the emails I got asking me to marry them were from women (and a few men) who I’d never met and didnt ‘encourage’!

Den, a problem I clearly don’t have!!