SYDNEY - QUESTION REGARDING HOW TO GET TO MANLY BEACH FROM WATSONS BAY

Understand there is a ferry that runs from Watsons Bay to Manly Beach but only on weekends? Would like to know if that is correct, or would you have to take a ferry to Circular Quay and then pick up a different ferry to Manly Beach?  Thank you

Correct. The private Manly "fast cat" ferry service goes via Watsons Bay during the day on weekends, which allows for direct travel between Watsons Bay & Manly.

I hope this works, NSW trip planner will allow you to put your travel plans in, and it will provide a list of available options.

https://transportnsw.info/trip#/trip?from=2030164&to=209573&leaving=true&dateTime=202208070835&excludedModes=11&onlyAccessible=false&walkSpeed=0&gettingFromMode=100&gettingToMode=100&onlyOpal=false&gettingToValue=20&gettingFromValue=20&tripPreference=0

• Like 2

12 hours ago, arxcards said:

Correct. The private Manly "fast cat" ferry service goes via Watsons Bay during the day on weekends, which allows for direct travel between Watsons Bay & Manly.

I hope this works, NSW trip planner will allow you to put your travel plans in, and it will provide a list of available options.

https://transportnsw.info/trip#/trip?from=2030164&to=209573&leaving=true&dateTime=202208070835&excludedModes=11&onlyAccessible=false&walkSpeed=0&gettingFromMode=100&gettingToMode=100&onlyOpal=false&gettingToValue=20&gettingFromValue=20&tripPreference=0

Thank you for the confirmation and the link, definitely helps

5 minutes ago, Fieldofdreams said:

Thank you for the confirmation and the link, definitely helps

12 hours ago, arxcards said:

Geoff and others following this thread - If you had to choose between Watsons Bay and Manly which would you choose given time constraints. Not sure we would actually spend time at the beach, mostly walking around, going to shops, taking in sights, walking along ocean on walkway/path. Thoughts?

Thank you

13 minutes ago, Fieldofdreams said:

Geoff and others following this thread - If you had to choose between Watsons Bay and Manly which would you choose given time constraints. Not sure we would actually spend time at the beach, mostly walking around, going to shops, taking in sights, walking along ocean on walkway/path. Thoughts?

Thank you

Manly. It's an easy walk from the harbourside wharf and beach to the ocean beach.Also there is a lovely walk from the southern side of the ocean beach around to Shelly Beach. There are plenty of shops for browsing, plus a wide range of cafes and restaurants to suit all tastes and budgets. 

Watsons Bay has a nice clifftop walk but is very limited apart from that.

As a non-Sydney person, Manly is my preference of those 2.

Beside this things mentioned, I have enjoyed the Manly Aquarium.

On the other side of the Harbour, there is the Bondi to Coogee ocean front walk.

The Sculptures by the Sea (Bondi to Tamarama segment of the walk in late-October to early November is an interesting outing.

My vote is for Manly for all the above reasons. I live 150klm from Sydney and a few times I have taken the train from Newcastle to Central then to Circular Quay then the ferry for a nice cruise to Many. Have lunch at the pub etc., the home again. Using my Seniors Opal card it cost me all of $2.50 in fares. Another time I substituted Cockatoo Island instead of Manly which has interesting history.

43 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Manly. It's an easy walk from the harbourside wharf and beach to the ocean beach.Also there is a lovely walk from the southern side of the ocean beach around to Shelly Beach. There are plenty of shops for browsing, plus a wide range of cafes and restaurants to suit all tastes and budgets. 

Doyles - Watson Bay Pub, always a must.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

My vote is for Manly for all the above reasons. I live 150klm from Sydney and a few times I have taken the train from Newcastle to Central then to Circular Quay then the ferry for a nice cruise to Many. Have lunch at the pub etc., the home again. Using my Seniors Opal card it cost me all of $2.50 in fares. Another time I substituted Cockatoo Island instead of Manly which has interesting history.

I second the suggestion of a visit to Cockatoo Island. A hidden gem so close to Sydney.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Docker123 said:

As a non-Sydney person, Manly is my preference of those 2.

Beside this things mentioned, I have enjoyed the Manly Aquarium.

On the other side of the Harbour, there is the Bondi to Coogee ocean front walk.

The Sculptures by the Sea (Bondi to Tamarama segment of the walk in late-October to early November is an interesting outing.

Sadly, Manly aquarium has been closed for some time now.

As a regular visitor to Sydney from Interstate, a visit to both Watson's Bay and Manly by ferry are musts. When I arrive at Watson's Bay by ferry I go on a walk to the left along a small beach and interesting residential area to the Harbour overlooking the Entrance.  Then I return and have a seafood lunch at Doyles on the jetty.  Then I walk through the park to The Gap on  the Oceanfront and walk along the clifftop until I've had enough.  Then I catch the local bus to North Bondi, where I have a drink at the RSL with its beautiful view along Bondi Beach.  Then I walk along Bondi Beach to Icebreakers where I watch the swimmers in the rock pool, plus on Bondi Beach,  You can continue to walk along the waterfront before catching a bus back in to the city.

Manly, I do as others have suggested, except there is a lovely harbour front walk to the left as far as the Spit Bridge as well. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fieldofdreams said:

Thank you

Personally Manly.

Personally between the two, a walk through the Corso to Manly Beach offers more, depending on what you are looking for. 

Manly Beach is lovely, and you have those coastal shops and food places, but the view is out to the ocean. Watson's Bay is a short walk away from South Head for some special views, but next to no shops.

10 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Julie - Thank you so much, when you mentioned clifftop walk, but very limited did you mean that it is not a very long walking path (in terms of distance) - Thanks, Don

8 hours ago, Fieldofdreams said:

GUT2407 - Thank you, Watson's Bay it is

You could ferry one way and catch a government bus back into Circular Quay, with a nice tour of the Eastern Beaches for a cheap fare.

9 hours ago, Fieldofdreams said:

Julie - Thank you so much, when you mentioned clifftop walk, but very limited did you mean that it is not a very long walking path (in terms of distance) - Thanks, Don

The one I was thinking of, to the lighthouse, is about 1.5km each way from the ferry terminal via Camp Cove beach. There is a much longer walk in the other direction which MMDown Under mentioned.

• Like 1

My choice is definitely Manly - even just for the ferry ride!  Buy fish and chips either for lunch or dinner and sit on beach to eat. Or as Julie said, there are plenty of dining choices, shops to peruse/ purchase from. If you want to walk, there are more than enough choices with the national park at Manly's doorstep or just walking around Manly is interesting. Walk along the ocean beach and watch the surfers. Whatever you choose, I hope you enjoy it.

2 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

The one I was thinking of, to the lighthouse, is about 1.5km each way from the ferry terminal via Camp Cove beach. There is a much longer walk in the other direction which MMDown Under mentioned.

Julie - Thanks again, that short walk actually works for us, trying to squeeze several sightseeing activities in for the few days that we are in Sydney.

Don 

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

My choice is definitely Manly - even just for the ferry ride!  Buy fish and chips either for lunch or dinner and sit on beach to eat. Or as Julie said, there are plenty of dining choices, shops to peruse/ purchase from. If you want to walk, there are more than enough choices with the national park at Manly's doorstep or just walking around Manly is interesting. Walk along the ocean beach and watch the surfers. Whatever you choose, I hope you enjoy it.

Leigh - Thank you for your insight as well. Cruise Critic connections have always been incredibly helpful with understanding the lay of the land, so greatly appreciated.

Don

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Fieldofdreams said:

Julie - Thanks again, that short walk actually works for us, trying to squeeze several sightseeing activities in for the few days that we are in Sydney.

Don 

Since you're in Sydney for a few days I recommend going to Manly by ferry mid or late afternoon (depending on how much time you have) so you can enjoy the sights of the harbour by day, explore Manly and have dinner at one of the many restaurants. Head back on the ferry once it gets dark to enjoy the harbour at night. 

Do something similar for Watson's Bay as if you time it right you will be able to watch the sunset over the harbour while dining at Doyles or the pub.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1

On 8/7/2022 at 7:59 PM, GUT2407 said:

Now that I agree with, but if it is location not just a feed, Many wins.

Doyle’s is not just a location.  Just the mention transports me to the wonders of a youth spent in Sydney before it evolved to the tourist hub of today.  Doyle’s Watsons Bay, Coogee Bay Hotel, Bronte Charles, and all the surf clubs along that stretch of ethereal magic.  The Gap, that haunting space of tragedy and beauty, with the intuitive dogs alert to desperate lives, and the terrible tales of shipwrecks of another era.  Watsons Bay can fill a lifetime of visits, and Doyle’s has been history’s sentinel.  

• Like 1