I messed up and booked a cruise during college football season

kearney

Yes... what was I thinking? DH wants to watch the Notre Dame - Ohio State game... So here is my question.... Since it is on ABC... I assume it will not be on the Celebrity TV... since they only have ESPN. If we can find it being streamed ... can you purchase the higher end wifi..for just one day? Roughly how much would that cost and can you do that onboard? I know this is a dumb question..but we only use wifi to check email. As he pointed out..it is only the biggest ND game of the year.

Thanks in advance.....

• Haha 3

Not sure how this applies to cruise ship channel viewing, but ABC/ESPN are both under parent The Walt Disney Company, and any game that streams on ABC also streams on ESPN (often the ESPN 2 option). If the ship has two ESPN channels, one will probably be playing the ABC game. Before going through with the option below, I'd recommend going to Guest Services and inquiring about the game and where to watch. They can usually tell you if it will be playing on your stateroom TV or in a venue on the ship.

But to answer your question, let's assume that's not an option.

You'll want to download the ESPN and ABC app onto your device prior to the cruise (just to be safe - personally, I prefer the ESPN app and watch ABC games on that platform, but having both apps will give you back-up in case one isn't working). You'll also need to set up the app with your Television Provider accounts (whatever you use at home - DirecTV, Spectrum, xfinity, etc.). You will need to have an account with ABC/ESPN access. Note that not all games can be viewed in all locations, but since this is college ball and not pro, I don't think you'll have to deal with any broadcasting blackouts (if there were blackouts, you'd also need a VPN to change your location).

On the ship, you'll need the Premium Wifi Package which is advertised at $35 per day (if you have Always Included, you can upgrade to premium - not sure if you can upgrade for just one day).

Assuming you already have a cable account with ABC/ESPN, it shouldn't set you back too much cost-wise.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the info... we might tape and then hope it is on one of the ESPN channels... I forgot ESPN is part of the ABC system.. so far it only appears on ABC..but perhaps we will get luck. The last time I made this mistake..was my sisters wedding in Sept of 1978   At least the bar carried it.... 🙂 

Cruise ship ESPN is full of cricket and soccer; it's a different feed. Occasionally they show big games (e.g., the Heels beating Dook last March 😄) on the stateroom TV or they broadcast on deck somewhere (they showed some football bowl games on Constellation last Dec.). 

My husband has watched games on his phone with the premium internet, but he had to move around and find a prime signal spot.

Edited by hrhdhd

1 hour ago, LittleMissMagic said:

You'll want to download the ESPN and ABC app

OP may also need to VPN to a US IP address. I couldn't stream live ESPN events when outside the US.

Edited by RichYak
  • Like 2

We were on Celebrity during the football season and had their premium service that came with being in a suite.   I tried streaming the game thru my U-verse provider on my IPad.     It was very spotty.   It would stream, freeze, stream, cut out come back and etc.   Still was able to see most of MSU beat that team from AA.  Wish that OSU would have really [pounded that team from the north into the ground instead of losing to them.   
GO GREEN!

Before you go create an account with your provider and do some trial streaming at home.  You may  need to have the app. save the password on your devise and also put it in your notes just in case you need to manually type it in. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kearney said:

Yes... what was I thinking? DH wants to watch the Notre Dame - Ohio State game... So here is my question.... Since it is on ABC... I assume it will not be on the Celebrity TV... since they only have ESPN. If we can find it being streamed ... can you purchase the higher end wifi..for just one day? Roughly how much would that cost and can you do that onboard? I know this is a dumb question..but we only use wifi to check email. As he pointed out..it is only the biggest ND game of the year.

Thanks in advance.....

Aren’t they playing Clemson, USC and a few other rather competitive programs.    If their schedule is so bad they need to join the Big 10.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

33077928-DB7E-45E8-A297-243692CA9165.jpeg

2 hours ago, kearney said:

Thanks in advance.....

All I can say is I feel your pain, we did, too, and for 2023 as well. The good thing for us is that I live in a house divided, and the game we will miss is the annual AL-LSU, which just leads to hard feelings, so maybe it’s better to be in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, you know? RTR.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, kearney said:

Thanks in advance.....

Can he or you get regular 'play by play' emails from friends or other fans with clips to follow???

Lots of emails, too... over a few hours.

Good luck and bon voyage

9 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

Can he or you get regular 'play by play' emails from friends or other fans with clips to follow???

Lots of emails, too... over a few hours.

Good luck and bon voyage

Now that is an idea... I know in the past he has just checked scores online. This is not a serious issue...but we don't get wifi...other than what the AI offers..so I thought that perhaps if he upgraded for a day that that might work...just haven't tried to do that before...

15 minutes ago, kearney said:

Now that is an idea... I know in the past he has just checked scores online. This is not a serious issue...but we don't get wifi...other than what the AI offers..so I thought that perhaps if he upgraded for a day that that might work...just haven't tried to do that before...

He may need to upgrade for any large video clips to be dl'ed...

bon voyage

On the ESPN app there is a game cast feature.  It gives play by play along with a graphic display of the downs and ball movement.  

All you have to do is pick the game from the games being played at the time  and choose the options.   It is available for any sport and match.  

It does have a little delay

Again I would advise trying it at home. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cangelmd said:

All I can say is I feel your pain, we did, too, and for 2023 as well. The good thing for us is that I live in a house divided, and the game we will miss is the annual AL-LSU, which just leads to hard feelings, so maybe it’s better to be in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, you know? RTR.

Another house divided here . . . our 9 night repositioning cruise on Beyond only has one Saturday on the ship.  My team (RTR) is off that Saturday 😃 but DH’s team  (who wear orange and blue🙄) plays Arkansas that day.  If AA gets us home as scheduled, we’ll be home the night before the AL - LSU GAME.  I’m hoping to catch some of AL - MSU game while in NYC pre-cruise.

Back to one of the original questions, even though it’s priced by day you can’t upgrade to premium internet for just one day.  At least I couldn’t on our last cruise.  It was full price up to half way through the cruise, then half price for the rest until the last day or two.

I understand your dilemma. I cannot schedule anything during March Madness. Had to stay in hotel night prior to embarkation in San Juan while he was able to get it on his computer. Also, never during ski season, no Summers because we have a lake home, no Holidays, etc. April, May, Sept, Oct were remaining. That has been my schedule for years. LOL!

Last year we sold the ski home 🙂Possibilities may open up.