Luggage Forward - a word of warning

jmalux

Some of you may consider the Luggage Forward service promoted by Regent, so I just want to share our experience, as you must be very careful with what you pack. 

We used Luggage Forward for a Splendor cruise in July,  the luggage made it to our suite without any problem and we very much enjoyed travelling without checked baggage. 

The problems started a couple of days after our cruise, when we received an email announcing that our luggage had been returned to the baggage handler, as it contained disallowed items such as aerosols, perfumes, medicines, an disinfection wipes. I must admit that we hadn’t paid attention to the small print, as we only packed items that we always put into the checked baggage (aerosol with sunscreen, sea sickness medicine, cologne). 

As a result, a significant part of our luggage was removed, and is stranded in Stockholm where the cruise ended. Our toiletry bags were returned completely empty, all sun screen products were removed, so was my favourite hand cream of which I bought many tubes in Copenhagen.

In Luggage Forward’s list of disallowed items it is indicated that items with a high alcohol content are disallowed. Nevertheless, they now argue that it was perfectly justified to remove items such as sun screen, face moisturizer, eye cream, hand cream etc., as they all contain alcohol. They have investigated the ingredients of the products removed and found:

·      Our favourite hand cream bought in Copenhagen contains Cetearyl alcohol

·      Our different sun screen product contain Behenyl alcohol

·      Our Kiehl’s moisturizer contains Propylene glycol

·      Our face serum contains Butylene glycol

·      Etc. 

So, if you wish to make use of Luggage, please pay attention and study the ingredients of your toiletries. I am still convinced that the alcohol content in these products is minimal and harmless, and it is very misleading that Luggage Forward indicate 'items with a high alcohol content' in the list of disallowed items, if they actually mean 'any alcohol content'.

One of Luggage Forward's sale arguments is ‘To get in and out of the airport by eliminating checked baggage from the equation’. However, it is basically impossible to avoid checked baggage if ordinary items such as creams and sun screen are disallowed, as all this stuff cannot be carried in the hand luggage. 

Quote from an email received from Luggage Forward: 

We cannot ship anything containing alcohol. Not only are we not licensed to do so, but the vehicles carrying anything deemed flammable is pressurized. Our baggage is transferred on non-pressurized planes and must abide by the rules set forth by the FAA and the IATA DGR 

We used Luggage Forward both directions on our May-July cruise from Montreal to Southampton.  We simply read the instructions and abided by them. We carried all our toiletries, etc.   Everything went extremely smoothly.  These regulations affect all luggage forwarding companies.  They aren't the choice of Luggage Forward, but individual national customs laws.  As jmalux says, " please pay attention."  Always... ALWAYS read the instructions carefully and if you don't understand, email them and get a clear answer. 

The part that is surprising is the toiletries.  I just set up my shipping with Luggage Forward, and yes the website does say nothing with alcohol including perfume etc. It doesn’t say high content, so it’s anything with alcohol. I just didn’t realize that things like my Kiel’s moisturizer contain alcohol. I’d been planning to ship my regular toiletries and not check a bag for my flight, but this makes me re-think it.  

I must say I am not surprised that this happened given what you packed.   When we have used them, they have told us over the phone specifically not to pack any of these items.  We were going on a long cruise and could not pack large enough amounts of these things in our carry on so we checked one bag.   Some might say that defeats the purpose of shipping luggage.  For us we didn’t feel that way.  We shipped two large bags and then checked a small one, and had our small carryon.  We usually bring back our allotted amounts of alcohol, so we also used the checked bag for that on the way home.  Worked perfectly for us and that way we knew we would have no problems 

Jmalux,

it is interesting that your items were not discovered until your return trip.

I have never used Luggage Forward so I am not familiar with the company.

However, I have used Luggage Concierge many timed and have never had an issue with shave cream or lotions. Maybe I was just lucky.

1 hour ago, wishIweretravelling said:

The part that is surprising is the toiletries.  I just set up my shipping with Luggage Forward, and yes the website does say nothing with alcohol including perfume etc. It doesn’t say high content, so it’s anything with alcohol. I just didn’t realize that things like my Kiel’s moisturizer contain alcohol. I’d been planning to ship my regular toiletries and not check a bag for my flight, but this makes me re-think it.  

Well, this web page actually says 'or anything with a high alcohol content', so there is some inconsistency:

https://support.luggageforward.com/article/242-ship#send

I suppose that many people don't realize that ordinary toiletries contain some kind of alcohol, and consequently are disallowed, but I also doubt that the luggage would have been stopped, if moisturizer and cream had been the only offense.

Luggage Forward has now refunded USD 100 for items that they acknowledge were unduly removed (toothpaste, razor, some toiletries without alcohol).

Thank you for this information.

For our longer cruises, and especially ones originating in a U.S. port, we fly in a day or two early and shop for our toiletries in a drugstore in the embarkation town. Yes, perhaps not a great use of time in a place you’d rather be exploring, but it gets the job done without involving checked luggage.

For those of you who use Kiehl’s products, they have numerous locations in airports, after security. You can also look for their locations in major cities, perhaps where you are sailing from.

• 3 months later...
On 8/9/2022 at 1:47 AM, jmalux said:

Some of you may consider the Luggage Forward service promoted by Regent, so I just want to share our experience, as you must be very careful with what you pack. 

We used Luggage Forward for a Splendor cruise in July,  the luggage made it to our suite without any problem and we very much enjoyed travelling without checked baggage. 

The problems started a couple of days after our cruise, when we received an email announcing that our luggage had been returned to the baggage handler, as it contained disallowed items such as aerosols, perfumes, medicines, an disinfection wipes. I must admit that we hadn’t paid attention to the small print, as we only packed items that we always put into the checked baggage (aerosol with sunscreen, sea sickness medicine, cologne). 

As a result, a significant part of our luggage was removed, and is stranded in Stockholm where the cruise ended. Our toiletry bags were returned completely empty, all sun screen products were removed, so was my favourite hand cream of which I bought many tubes in Copenhagen.

In Luggage Forward’s list of disallowed items it is indicated that items with a high alcohol content are disallowed. Nevertheless, they now argue that it was perfectly justified to remove items such as sun screen, face moisturizer, eye cream, hand cream etc., as they all contain alcohol. They have investigated the ingredients of the products removed and found:

·      Our favourite hand cream bought in Copenhagen contains Cetearyl alcohol

·      Our different sun screen product contain Behenyl alcohol

·      Our Kiehl’s moisturizer contains Propylene glycol

·      Our face serum contains Butylene glycol

·      Etc. 

So, if you wish to make use of Luggage, please pay attention and study the ingredients of your toiletries. I am still convinced that the alcohol content in these products is minimal and harmless, and it is very misleading that Luggage Forward indicate 'items with a high alcohol content' in the list of disallowed items, if they actually mean 'any alcohol content'.

One of Luggage Forward's sale arguments is ‘To get in and out of the airport by eliminating checked baggage from the equation’. However, it is basically impossible to avoid checked baggage if ordinary items such as creams and sun screen are disallowed, as all this stuff cannot be carried in the hand luggage. 

Quote from an email received from Luggage Forward: 

We cannot ship anything containing alcohol. Not only are we not licensed to do so, but the vehicles carrying anything deemed flammable is pressurized. Our baggage is transferred on non-pressurized planes and must abide by the rules set forth by the FAA and the IATA DGR 

Do you know who discovered the items and where?    Was DHL the carrier?   I have read about a few problems along these lines when the luggage is crossing borders and customs discovers the contraband.    I don't think luggage forward has any employees that actually inspect anything.  

I have never heard of a luggage forward issue  with alcohol products when the shipment was entirely in the US 

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin

It is not just Regen. I use another Company, ShipGo, to send our luggage to Europe for our cruises. They use also use DHL for the carrier. They always call beforehand and warn not to ship toiletries, cosmetics,  medicine, vitamins, electronic devices, batteries or any foods.

My understanding is the problems come from foreign customs inspection, not the airlines. 

J

4 hours ago, The-Inside-Cabin said:

Do you know who discovered the items and where?    Was DHL the carrier?   I have read about a few problems along these lines when the luggage is crossing borders and customs discovers the contraband.    I don't think luggage forward has any employees that actually inspect anything.  

I have never heard of a luggage forward issue  with alcohol products when the shipment was entirely in the US 

Yes, it was DHL returning the luggage to the cruise terminal, with this justification :cargo laws restrict us from shipping said products as they can explode if not in an air regulated cabin hold

I still find it slightly odd, as toiletries, cosmetics,  medicine, vitamins, electronic devices, batteries or any food can be bought online, and shipped without any problem. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jmalux said:

Yes, it was DHL returning the luggage to the cruise terminal, with this justification :cargo laws restrict us from shipping said products as they can explode if not in an air regulated cabin hold

I still find it slightly odd, as toiletries, cosmetics,  medicine, vitamins, electronic devices, batteries or any food can be bought online, and shipped without any problem. 

Ever notice the special tags on boxes??  It means special handling which does not allow it to be put into the cargo holds of planes.  Yes they are shipped but require special/more expensive handling.

On 8/10/2022 at 12:18 AM, Smitty A said:

Some might say that defeats the purpose of shipping luggage.  For us we didn’t feel that way.  We shipped two large bags and then checked a small one, and had our small carryon.

I am using Luggage Forward on a long cruise as part of our cruise package deal. I have to say it will be the first and last time I bother. These onerous restrictions on regular toiletry items that I have travelled over most parts of the world with no issue with on planes means I will likely have to buy everything I usually prefer when I get to Miami and then leave it behind. 

We have only 2 hours to get from international to domestic going via customs and immigration in  both our SFO - MIA flights and IAH - SYD. So we are taking carry-on only to help to try and make our onward flights. So no way will I risk checking even a small bag.

So I am one who says using Luggage Forward to ship luggage defeats the purpose of a less stress free holiday.

Just needed to vent my frustration with Luggage Forward.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, bitob said:

I use luggage forward every trip

at least 15 times to date

they are fabulous

i never had a problem

i follow the instructions and don’t pack banned items 

That's fine for you.

My point was I pack the same toiletries for multiple trips and have had no problem but now I have to check what small amount of alcohol maybe in there. So to be safe I have to buy my usual products in the USA and to be honest I don't find it cheaper to buy them there rather than bring them from home.

Luggage forward lost both of my suitcases in mid-March when I disembarked Mariner.  Nothing was in the suitcases that would flag them.  Eventually both made it to my house, but 2 weeks apart.  One bag of clothing was missing.  Eventually I was reimbursed for the clothing.  I would have used luggage free or just checked them on the plane, but I was lied to and told I could use shipboard credits when I booked them through the concierge.  

Edited by Travel2Learn

FWIW, I just returned from a 3-month cruise in which I used Luggage Forward both ways. I had toiletries in the bags I shipped from the U.S. to Stockholm, including shampoo, lotions, moisturizer, and makeup. No hairspray or other aerosols, and no alcohol-based products, though some products (ie, Kiehl’s moisturizer) apparently have trace amounts. It all got through without problem, and my bags were awaiting me when I boarded.

There was a tag indicating that one of my bags had been opened and inspected. NOT the one with the toiletries. I’m pretty sure the item of interest was my portable water flosser, which is batter operated. However, I’d removed the batteries, and brought them with me in my carry-on, as the LF rep had warned me against anything with any kind of battery.

On return, we disembarked on Dec 3 in Miami, so it was a domestic shipment. I packed pretty much the same way coming home as I did when going to the ship. LF said to expect them on the 13th.  I received them on Dec 6th, 3 days after disembarking.

They used DHL to ship to Stockholm, and UPS to ship them within the US.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, frantic36 said:

@wishIweretravelling thank you for posting this. My concern has been the toiletry products with extremely small trace amounts ie Estee Lauder Serum. Like you we will be away for three months. So I think I will pack it and keep my fingers crossed. They are using DHL for us.

I had a different brand serum that had a trace amount, and it caused no problem on either end.

• Thanks 1