Specialty Restaurant on Lobster 🦞 Night

Oh probably. They will do whatever makes you happy. :classic_rolleyes: I think we had Chops that night, and the waiter said something about lobster night. We are not fans. Crab is a whole different story. I think they won't let you go hungry. :classic_biggrin:

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Has anyone ever eaten in a specialty restaurant on lobster night and been able to get a lobster tail from the mdr added to your meal?  I love 🦞 but want to take full use of the UDP.

I do that nearly every cruise.  I do stop by the restaurant earlier in the day and let them know my request so as not to surprise them when they are busy during dinner service.  This way they bring the uncooked tail to the restaurant and cook it at the estaurant as opposed to running to the mdr during dinner service. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

My recent experience on Anthem, I was told only for those restaurants controlled by Royal.  We were dining at Jamie's and they could not get the lobster from the MDR.  True or not, who knows, however, we did get a fantastic and delicious meal.

Next time, I will follow Ourusualbeach advice and speak to the restaurant prior to making any reservations.

Edited by nelblu

8 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

Has anyone ever eaten in a specialty restaurant on lobster night and been able to get a lobster tail from the mdr added to your meal?  I love 🦞 but want to take full use of the UDP.

I saw your post about this on the other thread and was going to answer there if Ken had not chimed in but I see he did😇  I think I will try this on the Wonder in December.  AND no I'm not telling you where I will be hiding🤣

• Like 1

Cruising on the Voyager OTS 7 night NE/Canada cruise out of Boston on 9/25/22.  I could have sworn when checking the app earlier that there were lobster tails on one of the evenings in the main dining room.  I no longer see them on the menu when I check the menus on my app.  I guess I will just have to bite the bullet and pay for the lobster one night in the main dining room.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LadyBerard said:

Cruising on the Voyager OTS 7 night NE/Canada cruise out of Boston on 9/25/22.  I could have sworn when checking the app earlier that there were lobster tails on one of the evenings in the main dining room.  I no longer see them on the menu when I check the menus on my app.  I guess I will just have to bite the bullet and pay for the lobster one night in the main dining room.

I'm on the next sailing of Voyager the week after you and I also do not see lobster tails listed.  It was listed previously, because that's how I knew which was "formal night".

• Like 1

We sailed on Harmony July 17-24.  I asked for the lobster tails in Chops to have surf-n turf.  I was told NO.  I had a talk with the manager of Chops, and he was adamant that they would NOT bring food from another kitchen to Chops and that he didn't care that a month before on Allure I was able to get the surf n turf.

He said it was Covid related, but then said if he did it for me, he'd have to do it for others and it was not their policy to do so.  I told him that on Allure I had been able to get the beet salad from 150 served in Chops.  Once again, he stated that he is following policy and that WILL NOT be done on Harmony.

I don't know if it is his policy or the hotel director on Harmony who made this decision.  I found it interesting that I was able to do this on Symphony as well as Allure, but no way on Harmony.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, LadyBerard said:

I'm on the Mariner Saturday and lobster tails were on the app but are also gone.  It think (hope) it's just a glitch because all I get on days 6-8 are the kids menu

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, katiel53 said:

We sailed on Harmony July 17-24.  I asked for the lobster tails in Chops to have surf-n turf.  I was told NO.  I had a talk with the manager of Chops, and he was adamant that they would NOT bring food from another kitchen to Chops and that he didn't care that a month before on Allure I was able to get the surf n turf.

He said it was Covid related, but then said if he did it for me, he'd have to do it for others and it was not their policy to do so.  I told him that on Allure I had been able to get the beet salad from 150 served in Chops.  Once again, he stated that he is following policy and that WILL NOT be done on Harmony.

I don't know if it is his policy or the hotel director on Harmony who made this decision.  I found it interesting that I was able to do this on Symphony as well as Allure, but no way on Harmony.

I tried to order the MDR lobster in CK on the Harmony in May and was told no and given the same story.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LadyBerard said:

37 minutes ago, rudeney said:

I'm on the next sailing of Voyager the week after you and I also do not see lobster tails listed.  It was listed previously, because that's how I knew which was "formal night".

I have noticed in the past that the app that far out is not always accurate.   The October Allure cruise doesn't even show they have Chops. 

I checked out the August 21 and there was no lobster tail. Checked out the current Voyager cruise and they are serving lobster 🦞 tail on Day 10.  Let's hope it gets back on there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LadyBerard said:

You’re going to the lobster capital of the world.  Why would you eat the lobster served on the ship??  Get a real Maine lobster on shore.

Edited by poocher

51 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

I'm always amazed how popular lobster night is for the cheap, small, warm water tail that gets put on your plate

So true, and cooking is very hit or miss.  Hit a lobster pound on land & have them steam a real lobster.  You can thank me later😘

2 hours ago, molly361 said:

I'm on the Mariner Saturday and lobster tails were on the app but are also gone.  It think (hope) it's just a glitch because all I get on days 6-8 are the kids menu

The App will show the menus depending on the current sailing of the ship.  If they are currently on a 5 night cruise you will only see 5 nights in the App and nothing for the other days for the longer cruise you are on.  Any cruise of 6 nights or more should have a lobster night usually on the next to last night of the cruise.

41 minutes ago, AspiringCindy said:

When you pay extra for a lobster tail at the MDR(surcharge) or Chops, is it still the same measly tail...or is it a nice sized tail?

I think MDR "surf and turf" is served with the same tail they as on "lobster night", but the "Whole Maine Lobster" in the MDR and half of a broiled Maine lobster in Chops are just that - a whole lobster that has been broiled and not just the small tail.  

I inadvertently booked the Chefs Table on what appears to be Lobster Night on my upcoming Oasis cruise. I did wonder what the Chef would think if I asked to disrupt his carefully composed symphony of food with a request for an MDR lobster tail. Or two. Or two for everyone at the table.   I had fun imagining myself as a "Cousin Eddie" type character, and the Chef as more of a "Soup ***" and thinking about how the scene would play out.  Nothing like daydreaming at the office on a boring afternoon 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, nelblu said:

My recent experience on Anthem, I was told only for those restaurants controlled by Royal.  We were dining at Jamie's and they could not get the lobster from the MDR.  True or not, who knows, however, we did get a fantastic and delicious meal.

Next time, I will follow Ourusualbeach advice and speak to the restaurant prior to making any reservations.

We got tails on lobster night at Jamie's on Anthem in March. I guess it depends on the server and how things are going in the kitchen. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LadyBerard said:

It happened to us once a few years ago.  We were sailing on Anthem 9 nights to NE/Canada itinerary.  The evening that we left Bar Harbour we were advised that whole lobsters were on the menu.  They were in the range of approximate 1.25 lbs.  They were delicious.  We were told that Royal had purchased some $250k of these delicious crustaceans.  The following year, on the same itinerary/ship--no whole lobsters.

Ps.  One can get a whole lobster as an upcharge in the MDR.

8 hours ago, poocher said:

You’re going to the lobster capital of the world.  Why would you eat the lobster served on the ship??  Get a real Maine lobster on shore.

pros and cons.

PRO- lobster tails are free and almost all you can eat on the ship.

CON-  shore based restaurants charge for lobster.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, PGPVA72 said:

I inadvertently booked the Chefs Table on what appears to be Lobster Night on my upcoming Oasis cruise. I did wonder what the Chef would think if I asked to disrupt his carefully composed symphony of food with a request for an MDR lobster tail. Or two. Or two for everyone at the table.   I had fun imagining myself as a "Cousin Eddie" type character, and the Chef as more of a "Soup ***" and thinking about how the scene would play out.  Nothing like daydreaming at the office on a boring afternoon 😜

Since Chef's Table is a 3+ hour affair, the server has plenty of time in between courses to go to the MDR to fetch some lobster tails. As mentioned before, these warm water tails are hardly worth it -- you would be better off saving your appetite for the Chef's Table offerings. 

• Like 1