Most dangerous cruise ports?

mandwcruise

Port safety  

79 members have voted

1. 1. How concerned are you with safety when picking ports?

• Very concerned
    • Somewhat concerned
    • Never concerned
  2. 2. Have you, or someone you know personally, ever been a victim of violent crime (e.g. armed robbery, sexual assault) in a cruise port?

3. 3. Your daughter wants to travel alone. Which port is the one that worries you the most?

• Rio De Janeiro, Brazil
    • Casablanca, Morroco
    • Roatan, Honduras
    • Manila, Philippines
    • Haifa, Israel
    • Something not listed, which I will comment on

1 minute ago, crystalspin said:

Ah, we were at Puntarenas (off NCL) and wandered aways from the dock with no raised hackles. Will keep your cautions in mind for our repeat PC cruise.

The only photographs I found worth taking in Costa Rica were of the egrets and sloths spotted during the canal excursion.

• Like 1

My HAL PCC once shared a photo of herself standing in front of the Rome Colosseum and I congratulated her on her obvious pregnancy.  I was quickly informed that due to the crime rate aimed at tourists caused her to zip her large purse inside her jacket.

I lived outside of Istanbul Turkey for a year back in the '70's and found it one of the safest places in all of my travels.  Stores would routinely leave their goods unsecured overnight and locals felt secure walking the streets after dark.  When I asked why no fear of theft, my local friends reported that the loss of your left hand was a true deterrent. 

• Like 1

Just now, Crew News said:

The only photographs I found worth taking in Costa Rica were of the egrets and sloths spotted during the canal excursion.

Cruise stops in Costa Rica are (necessarily) limited. We did a land-tour from San Jose to Tamarindo (via a slightly active volcano) and back to the other coast at Tortuguero. There are LOTS of photogenic spots in CR, many more birds than egrets (red parrots and toucans come to mind), and other wildlife than sloths although I do love the sloths. Recommend for a photographer!

• Like 1

I have spent many years at sea. The worst I have seen was in the Arabian Gulf of all places!

A dock worker 'goosed' the wife of one of our officers. 

He was 'detained'!

Our ex-pat liaison chap informed us that if she 'pressed charges' then the best he could expect would be 7 yrs in prison. Appeals not allowed,

The worst he could expect was 7 yrs in prison ... with one hand missing!  Appeals not allowed.

Beggars etc were a fact of life.

Aden was a touch 'iffy' ...

Japan was at the opposite end of the scale .... I felt incredibly safe when wandering about.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2022 at 7:54 AM, MBP&O2/O said:

I have spent many years at sea. The worst I have seen was in the Arabian Gulf of all places!

A dock worker 'goosed' the wife of one of our officers. 

He was 'detained'!

Our ex-pat liaison chap informed us that if she 'pressed charges' then the best he could expect would be 7 yrs in prison. Appeals not allowed,

The worst he could expect was 7 yrs in prison ... with one hand missing!  Appeals not allowed.

Beggars etc were a fact of life.

Aden was a touch 'iffy' ...

Japan was at the opposite end of the scale .... I felt incredibly safe when wandering about.

not that this is the topic of the thread, but I kind of wish she had reported him to protect other women in the future

Over the  years we have travelled to many countries.  Cruises and independent travel.

Despite all the cautions we still look at each other and roll our eyes when we see how totally clueless some tourists are.  

Just a few of the thing we notice on a regular basis when we travel...

-people who wear expensive jewelry, watches, chains, bracelets, earings, , etc.

-people who, when paying for something, open a wallet full of cash or credit cards instead of keeping most of the credit cards and cash hidden

-people who pay more attention to taking a selfie than they do to the purse or backpack that they leave beside them on the pavement.

-people who walk around with backpacks on their back and their valuables inside.  (easy target for a clever thief with a knife)  Same for carrying valuables on your person where pick pockets can easily access them

-people who hang purses and backpacks, etc from the back a chair or beside their chair in a restaurant/cafe

-people who pay more attention to the items in a trash and trinket store than they do to their own belongings  (same in Costco where we live especially at the food sample area)

-people who wander about in a fog with absolutely no sense of their surroundings.

Anyone can get assaulted, robbed etc.  But...you do need to keep your wits about you, not attract the wrong type of attention, and not act carelessly in such a way as to attract opportunity based thieves.

We are just as concerned when travelling to certain NA cities as we are to some overseas cities.  Can never understand why people seem to think their own country is so safe compared to others.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, iancal said:

We are just as concerned when travelling to certain NA cities as we are to some overseas cities.  Can never understand why people seem to think their own country is so safe compared to others.

Exactly. I have always lived in big cities, it is my preference.  I will add to your list - don’t be stupid, if it is a dangerous area of that city just don’t go.  There are areas of my hometown which are not safe today and weren’t safe in the good old days either.  

57 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Exactly. I have always lived in big cities, it is my preference.  I will add to your list - don’t be stupid, if it is a dangerous area of that city just don’t go.  There are areas of my hometown which are not safe today and weren’t safe in the good old days either.  

There is one issue with that.....you cannot fix stupid!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, iancal said:

I liked your whole post.  Good info there.  This last part, I wonder if it is just familiarity.  I guess we all know of safer areas and no so safe areas in our home region.   Don't have the same knowledge of other areas.   

58 minutes ago, mandwcruise said:

The notion that NA cities are also dangerous is non-sequitur: nobody here is cruising to Detroit or Chicago

The question at hand is how to avoid dangerous ports

I think the question is if folks find some ports more dangerous than others.  

I've never felt a port area itself in any place I've ever traveled to be dangerous.  But then, I'm with a huge crowd of people.  Not the same as being alone in some shady side alley.  

I'm sure almost every port city, NA or otherwise, can offer up areas that might be considered threatening.  

Cruise stops are short with a huge pack of tourists focusing on the major highlights.  Perhaps we should be talking about  those places that are noted for preying on tourists visiting major tourist areas.   

I concur with those who mentioned Colon. The small area of bars etc at the port gate is fine and no problem joining tours there, but police turned back those who attempted to wander further, most folk who took the free shuttlebus into the centre chose to stay on the bus &  return to the port, and a cycle tour was abandoned due to attempted robbery.

La Guaira is the port for Caracas. Folk were told not to venture out of the port except in a vehicle. Even felt uneasy in Caracas, and I'm no wimp.

-------------------------------------------

I don't understand why Haifa is on the list 🤔. If that's because of political tensions,  Ashdod should be the Israeli port on the list - altho the real risk is that the ship will skip the port.

----------------------------------------

someone mentioned Madeira??? 🤔  Where the crime rate is very very low. The poster was concerned about a group who aroused their suspicions - but there's not a port in the world where a visitor hasn't been the victim of a crime, let alone been concerned about the possibility.

-----------------------------------------

We always feel super-safe in Istanbul & elsewhere in Turkey, Hong Kong, Aus & New Zealand

------------------------------------------

Like the USA and elsewhere in the world, there are parts of European cities to be avoided, and other parts - touristy parts - where one should be aware of pick-pockets and bag-snatchers. I was the intended victim of a pick-pocket, but he was pretty amateur and ran off empty-handed - I won't mention the city because the same thing happens to other people in other cities. Never felt al all uneasy - even on dark evenings - in small towns & villages anywhere in Europe.

---------------------------------------

In lots of places in the world street hawkers can be a pain. Egypt, Jordan, Morocco, most of S.E.Asia, many Caribbean islands. The over-persistent ones kinda take the shine off a visit, but they have the thankless task of trying to earn a living and we've never experienced any which fit the topic of "dangerous". 

JB 🙂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Even if one has researched in advance, it's not always clear which are the "dangerous areas" in an unfamiliar city. 

At least you should not go once you know.  I can’t tell you how many news stories there were in our local papers about those who thought  they were street savvy and ventured where they were told not to.  Often on these boards I read tales from the cavalier suggesting to others that vigilance will always pay off - that is not true. BTW, I grew up in the cruise port city of New Orleans so this is totally on topic

Edited by Mary229

11 hours ago, mandwcruise said:

The notion that NA cities are also dangerous is non-sequitur: nobody here is cruising to Detroit or Chicago

The question at hand is how to avoid dangerous ports

No, but we are certainly aware of our surrounding and are careful with our belongings when we are in FLL, MIA, SAN, or LA when we spend a few days or more pre or post cruise.  And the same would hold if we were embarking or disembarking in other US seaboard cities.  OR St. Thomas.

Edited by iancal

On 8/13/2022 at 9:58 PM, wcook said:

Given the number of random shootings here in the US, there’s not a foreign port I worry about. And to be honest, I’m not really scared in the US either. 

We live in an era of super low crime rates. Unfortunately, we also live in an era of ubiquitous sensationalist media. 

Yup , American cities are at the top of my list. If I'm going to worry this is where you should worry . 

Thanks second amendment . 

6 hours ago, John Bull said:

I don't understand why Haifa is on the list 🤔

Me neither . Gotta believe OP was never there . 

Surprised Jamaica hasn't been mentioned . VERY aggressive sales tactics there .

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, richstowe said:

Yes and because of those sales tactics--primarily the taxi drivers--I stay on the ship we are stopping in a Jamaican port.  

6 hours ago, John Bull said:

We always feel super-safe in Istanbul & elsewhere in Turkey, Hong Kong, Aus & New Zealand

Istanbul is the only Turkish city that I have visited and, like the other three that you listed, no concern about safety even when walking some streets after dark.  

On 9/5/2022 at 10:17 AM, iancal said:

Over the  years we have travelled to many countries.  Cruises and independent travel.

Despite all the cautions we still look at each other and roll our eyes when we see how totally clueless some tourists are.  

Just a few of the thing we notice on a regular basis when we travel...

-people who wear expensive jewelry, watches, chains, bracelets, earings, , etc.

-people who, when paying for something, open a wallet full of cash or credit cards instead of keeping most of the credit cards and cash hidden

-people who pay more attention to taking a selfie than they do to the purse or backpack that they leave beside them on the pavement.

-people who walk around with backpacks on their back and their valuables inside.  (easy target for a clever thief with a knife)  Same for carrying valuables on your person where pick pockets can easily access them

-people who hang purses and backpacks, etc from the back a chair or beside their chair in a restaurant/cafe

-people who pay more attention to the items in a trash and trinket store than they do to their own belongings  (same in Costco where we live especially at the food sample area)

-people who wander about in a fog with absolutely no sense of their surroundings.

Anyone can get assaulted, robbed etc.  But...you do need to keep your wits about you, not attract the wrong type of attention, and not act carelessly in such a way as to attract opportunity based thieves.

On the streets in any city, you are either the sheep or the wolf.  With plenty of sheep such as you describe, I've never had a problem in any city in the world so far.  I look people that I encounter directly in the eye and smile a greeting.  If I do carry a backpack, it's in front of me.  I wear non-descript clothing that does not draw attention to myself.  I constantly scan my surroundings and if I spot some nefarious looking characters, I make eye contact and move away.

Several years ago She Who Must Be Obeyed was taking some photos with her cellphone of a cathedral in Santigo, Chile.  I was scanning our surroundings and notice some non-Chileans starting to ease toward her in a hunting pattern.  I stared their way, made eye contact, and they eased back to their spot at the fountain to wait for their next victim.

That being said, there are some ports and cities that once I've seen them, I stay on the ship.  Heck, there are some US cities that I'll never step foot in again that I have enjoyed in the past - LA, Portland, Seattle, Chicago, NYC for example.

You gotta have some street smarts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/15/2022 at 11:08 PM, Mum2Mercury said:

I've been to Panama dozens of times and have never felt unsafe.  Never been to a cruise terminal though.

I like the word "aware".  Aware means you're prepared, you're paying attention, but it's not about being afraid.  Good word choice.  

Yeah, I've heard people on these boards (and in the MDR) saying they felt afraid of the sellers in the Jamaican markets -- but those people are just desperate to make a living, and they're doing their best to get your attention.  I did lecture my kids on them:  keep your hands in your pockets, say "No thank you" and keep walking, don't take anything they say personally.  

Goes back to "being aware".  That's just good sense. 

"No, Thank you" in Jamaica translates as "No, Yes".  Best to say nothing and keep walking. 

• Like 1

On 9/6/2022 at 2:18 PM, richstowe said:

Yup , American cities are at the top of my list. If I'm going to worry this is where you should worry . 

Thanks second amendment . 

Me neither . Gotta believe OP was never there . 

We are thankful for the 2nd Amendment.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2022 at 3:41 PM, wcook said:

One night in Bangkok makes a hard man humble
Not much between despair and ecstasy
One night in Bangkok and the tough guys tumble
Can't be too careful with your company
I can feel the devil walking next to me

Don’t wear red or yellow.

On 9/7/2022 at 6:34 AM, SargassoPirate said:

Heck, there are some US cities that I'll never step foot in again that I have enjoyed in the past - LA, Portland, Seattle, Chicago, NYC for example.

The fact that NYC is on your list means your reason for not going isn't based on actual data or violent crime rates, as NYC's violent crime rate is shockingly low for a city of its size...so I'd love to know your reason for avoiding cities where you have a very small chance, as a tourist, of something violent happening to you. 

Edited by Zach1213

2 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

The fact that NYC is on your list means your reason for not going isn't based on actual data or violent crime rates, as NYC's violent crime rate is shockingly low for a city of its size...so I'd love to know your reason for avoiding cities where you have a very small chance, as a tourist, of something violent happening to you. 

According to neighborhoodscout.com's data, NYC violent crime on a per capita basis is absolutely higher in Manhattan than the national average. 

image.thumb.png.233db4986c5082379ae74f23884e744d.png