New to Celebrity- A few questions

tonit964

1 minute ago, tonit964 said:

Thank you so much for all of that info. I'll call that number once I'm ready.

It's a long story but I'm currently booked on another cruise but I'm almost 100% it's going to get canceled by the cruise line so this will be my alternative. I just want to have all my ducks in a row when it comes time to book.

Now, I just have to choose a cabin that doesn't have the 'X' on the glass. I'm so excited to try Celebrity but I'll see what happens.

The cabins with the X are on the hump. If you can get any of the 4 cabins on the slant off the hump the balconies are much bigger.  The 1st and 3rd are the biggest but the 2nd and 4th are larger as well. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, tonit964 said:

Now, I just have to choose a cabin that doesn't have the 'X' on the glass. I'm so excited to try Celebrity but I'll see what happens.

I've not stayed in one, but have seen the view from those cabins.  The obstruction to view is wildly overstated in my opinion. The "X" is created by something akin to frosted glass, but it's almost more like window tint that that.  I would not let that deter me from one of those rooms. 

All that being said, on the Solstice class ships, like you're looking at, the desirable verandas are those on the angles, like those just ahead and behind the part with the X on it.  The angled balconies are larger than regular.

Harris

Denver, CO

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Luvcrusn said:

The cabins with the X are on the hump. If you can get any of the 4 cabins on the slant off the hump the balconies are much bigger.  The 1st and 3rd are the biggest but the 2nd and 4th are larger as well. 

Thanks! I'll take a look at those and see if they're available.

4 hours ago, TJShap said:

Currently Celebrity is having a 0% single supplement sale.  It is a good time to splurge, I booked a Celebrity Suite for almost the price of a balcony.  Oct is part of the sale!  I booked a Nov. sailing.

Same here. Booked a suite in January for less than Princess was going to charge me for a balcony with a partial obstructed view! Hard to beat...

2 hours ago, tonit964 said:

Great info! I love my cocktails and that Martini bar looks like fun.  I'm sure I'll  upgrade to the premium package.

If you will be mainly drinking at the Martini Bar upgrade the package there.   You will make them very happy and it will pay off during the cruise 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

I always call my liquor…especially if I see it on the bar. 

That is what I do.   That is why I get the premium pack.   When I have a drink I want it made with the spirits that I want and not from the well.    I will scout the bars looking for the spirits that I want and get my drink from there.  Most of my drinks are Neat, or a Old Fashion and I always have to tell them not to top it off with water or soda and not too sweet.  

Years ago my wife got a Cosmo at the Martini Bar.  She really liked it.   She got one in the theater and it wasn’t the same.  We found that the Martini bar uses Grey Goose and Cointreau and is one of their premium drinks in the large glass.   At other bars even though you have the premium they will make it with a well vodka and Triple Sec.  The Martini BTs told us that no other bar are allowed to  make it like they do.  Don’t know how true it is as I don’t drink them and my wife will occasionally get one from there.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

• Like 1

8 hours ago, omeinv said:

If you're sailing solo, you may want to re-think going with the All Included package. The price for the AI does not change for a solo passenger, so you're paying for two drink packages, two WiFi packages, and double gratuities, while only getting one of each.  You would almost certainly be better off booking the No Perk rate, then adding the Drink Package (Premium or Regular), Wifi (Surf or Stream) and Gratuities.

Harris

Denver, CO

I just did mock bookings for a cruise, first for one and then for two passengers, for each I did cruise only and all included. The difference between all included and cruise only was about the same per person, so that statement does not seem to hold true.

15 minutes ago, Boytjie said:

I just did mock bookings for a cruise, first for one and then for two passengers, for each I did cruise only and all included. The difference between all included and cruise only was about the same per person, so that statement does not seem to hold true.

This cruises with the solo sale prices are now through the end of March, did you happen to pick one of those? I just did a sample Apex cruise price in April 2023, pricing out a solo with the AI package was the same (give or take a few bucks) as 2 people with the AI package, though add on the port taxes for the 2nd person. 

Seems better for a solo to buy a drink package separately in the CP or on board.

1 hour ago, MarinerAlex said:

This cruises with the solo sale prices are now through the end of March, did you happen to pick one of those? I just did a sample Apex cruise price in April 2023, pricing out a solo with the AI package was the same (give or take a few bucks) as 2 people with the AI package, though add on the port taxes for the 2nd person. 

Seems better for a solo to buy a drink package separately in the CP or on board.

Ah, I see that. I looked at later this year.

10 hours ago, tonit964 said:

That's an awesome score! In the mock booking I did, it's coming up about 1,350 for a verandah on deck 7 but with the AI price. I learned on this thread to just do the cruise only fare and then upgrade once on board.

I'll play around with it a little more. A suite would be so nice.

No, if you want the drinks package then: Book the the cruise-only fare then add the classic package before sailing (there is a discount pre-departure). Once on board you can then upgrade to premium drinks package if desired.

I just booked solo guarantee balcony on the solstice for the last November 2022 sailing. 

The AI upcharge was less than buying the drink package.  

It was a rediculously good deal, especially because you get wifi and gratuities. 

Look at what you're going to have to pay extra on the cruise only fare and see what is cheaper. If you're going to get a drink package anyways, it will probably be better to go AI.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KatieDub said:

No, if you want the drinks package then: Book the the cruise-only fare then add the classic package before sailing (there is a discount pre-departure). Once on board you can then upgrade to premium drinks package if desired.

Do you happen to know the price of the basic & premium drink packages if I were to get them before sailing and then on board? 

17 hours ago, tonit964 said:

Very helpful picture, thank you.

I asked for the glass to be changed so it didn’t interfere with my view. Took a few days, but our butler got it done. Not sure if they changed it back after we left! 😆

For solo cruisers I have found the difference in price between Cruise Only and All Included fares runs about $50 per day if the cruise is part of the solo sailor promotion versus about $110 per day for cruise that aren't listed.  I booked a 7 night cruise on Beyond that was listed on the solo promotion list and the difference was $352 so I booked All Included.  I also have a 6 night cruise in December 2023 that is after the dates offered on the solo promotion and they wanted $679 more for All included so I passed on All Included and booked Cruise Only. Even if I deduct the $93 prepaid gratuity I would have to run up a $586 bar tab in 6 nights to break even. I don't drink enough to justify that so I will just pay as I go. (I don't give any value to the Surf Wifi included with the All Included package since I've found it to be so frustratingly slow as to be nearly unusable.)

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, tonit964 said:

Do you happen to know the price of the basic & premium drink packages if I were to get them before sailing and then on board? 

On my upcoming cruise in September, they are asking for $90 per day for premium, or $75 per day for classic, with tips included. The bundled pricing with AI is cheaper than doing everything a la carte for sure. As someone says up above, the tips money is true value, wifi probably not, and you're need to estimate how much you will consume to make the Bev package worthwhile.

23 hours ago, dreamer321 said:

For solo cruisers I have found the difference in price between Cruise Only and All Included fares runs about $50 per day if the cruise is part of the solo sailor promotion versus about $110 per day for cruise that aren't listed.

I just ran a mock booking for a veranda on a 10-night Equinox cruise in October.  It's one of the ones listed for the current solo supplement promotion.  The difference between Cruise Only and AI was, indeed, right about $500 for the solo booking ($50/day).  That's a stellar deal.  I looked at a sailing we have coming up, and the classic drink package is $62/day just by itself (discounted from $69/day).

I did run a 2-person booking for the same room and sailing, and the final fare was just 2X the solo fare.

On 8/16/2022 at 9:00 AM, tonit964 said:

Anything else you can think of that is pretty much a "must" for me to know about Celebrity will be greatly appreciated.

It does look like the All Included on a solo fare is a mighty good deal.  Check it out before booking a Cruise Only fare.

Also, if you are Diamond or above with Royal Caribbean, you can get Elite status with Captain's Club via reciprocity.  That'll get you a few perks, including a small discount on upgrading your drink package and wifi if you call before boarding to do so.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

It does look like the All Included on a solo fare is a mighty good deal.  Check it out before booking a Cruise Only fare.

Also, if you are Diamond or above with Royal Caribbean, you can get Elite status with Captain's Club via reciprocity.  That'll get you a few perks, including a small discount on upgrading your drink package and wifi if you call before boarding to do so.

Yeah, I checked the numbers and I'll book the AI fare. Thank you for that info.

No, I'm not Diamond with Royal, someday hopefully. 

• Like 1

On 8/16/2022 at 11:26 AM, PTC DAWG said:

Yes you can upgrade on board..very easy.  I think it is now a total of $18 per day, gratuities included in that figure.  Once booked you can also call Celebrity and they will upgrade over the phone. 

The Wife and I always upgrade on board at the Sunset Bar,..the bartenders-servers get a cut of the upgrade, and they will not forget it. 

I agree.  If we are on the Classic package we wait to upgrade to premium at the Martini Bar the first night.  I think the bartenders get a cut, and since we are there every night before dinner, we want them go get the credit.

Hope you have a great trip.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DCPIV said:

I just ran a mock booking for a veranda on a 10-night Equinox cruise in October.  It's one of the ones listed for the current solo supplement promotion.  The difference between Cruise Only and AI was, indeed, right about $500 for the solo booking ($50/day).  That's a stellar deal.  I looked at a sailing we have coming up, and the classic drink package is $62/day just by itself (discounted from $69/day).

I did run a 2-person booking for the same room and sailing, and the final fare was just 2X the solo fare.

It is indeed a stellar deal us solo (this time) cruisers...I must have run 4 or 5 mock bookings because I couldn't believe how much I would 'save'...lol...not to mention avoiding the solo sup...

I just did a mock booking for a single on a  7 N Mexican Riveria in October

The price difference was $390 more for All Included  vs Cruise Only.  So for the $56 per day extra you get what would cost &107 to purchase if you book Cruise Only.

Gratuities   $15 per day

Basic wi-fi    $ 17 per day if purchased pre cruise 

Classic Beverage Package with gratuity $75 per day ( current discount in cruise planner). 

On 8/16/2022 at 1:39 PM, miched said:

We usually get the premium package because the spirits and drinks we like are in the premium.     A BT thst we have become “friends” with because he was on several cruises that we were on told us that the Classic was the best value as 90% of the drinks that people order are in the classic.   Any frozen drink is,  any drink at the pool, in the theater, and most lounges unless you ask for a specific liquor you will get it made from the well.  They don’t look at your card and see that you have a premium pack and use premium spirits.  They use from the well.

World Class Bar and, all Martinis on the Menu at the Martini Bar are premium.   You can get a martini at the martini bar with the classic but it will be smaller, using classic spirits.    I don’t think they will make you one from the menu using spirits in the classic package.   Never asked for it that way. 

if you want to have a premium drink you pay the difference plus the gratuity that May amount to $3.  Depends on how many premium drinks you drink to determine if it is worth the upgrade.    

If you do upgrade do it on board and with a BT you like as they get the gratuity part and become your friends for the rest of the cruise.    Don’t do it with the hawks on the first day as all they want is the gratuity and you will never see them again. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Great advise ty

I'm also going on Soltice twice in October, after my first cruise on her to Alaska a few weeks ago. Staff is very aggressive about getting you to upgrade to a package or your current one, even baristas and dining room drinks servers. The weird pricing also tries to encourage you to upgrade, so many cocktails, beers, and wines are priced about the magic $9 price point, and the app and bar menus have only a very limited price list, so it was confusing and stressful for me. I didn't have AI, and when buying individual drinks I had to sign a slip asking for an extra tip, which also is uncomfortable for me. At the same time, their pre-cruise non-alcoholic package prices are quite good, $9 for soda and $15 for soda/coffee, so I'll probably do those on my upcoming cruises, especially since they allow me to use $100 of OBC pre-cruise. I found the Blu/Luminae helped keep the dining room unpacked, so I always had a window seat and good service. They have a nice buffet layout, but it doesn't connect with the pool deck, which on other lines has dining tables, but not on Solstice, so at peak times the buffet and after outside get completely full, so I used a plastic tray I brought and took food elsewhere. The Sky lounge was my favorite part of the ship, with lots of good view seating. The other thing I really liked was a buffet station that has a different special each night, which included ramen, crepes, and multiple flavors of creme brulee. Finally, I booked 4 Mexico cruises on Solstice and what I really like is that they vary the itinerary, so some include Ensenada, Catalina, and San Diego, instead of the usual Cabo/PV/Mazatlan trip, and in April I'm doing a coastal on them as well. 

On 8/16/2022 at 7:25 PM, miched said:

That is what I do.   That is why I get the premium pack.   When I have a drink I want it made with the spirits that I want and not from the well.    I will scout the bars looking for the spirits that I want and get my drink from there.  Most of my drinks are Neat, or a Old Fashion and I always have to tell them not to top it off with water or soda and not too sweet.  

Years ago my wife got a Cosmo at the Martini Bar.  She really liked it.   She got one in the theater and it wasn’t the same.  We found that the Martini bar uses Grey Goose and Cointreau and is one of their premium drinks in the large glass.   At other bars even though you have the premium they will make it with a well vodka and Triple Sec.  The Martini BTs told us that no other bar are allowed to  make it like they do.  Don’t know how true it is as I don’t drink them and my wife will occasionally get one from there.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I agree on wanting top shelf brands. I don't want my Manhattan to be made out of a wringed out bar towel!