Anything good on Vegan Menu in Main dining room?

• latebuyer changed the title to Anything good on Vegan Menu in Main dining room?

Not vegan, but

the soups and pasta are good - pretty common stuff

the fritters have been good when you get them hot- I didn’t like them when they were cold. 

i liked the “burger” I’ve had, but I can’t tell you what it was made of. 

I am not vegan, but tried several things on the vegan menu.  The corn fritters were very good on the Independence but had a weird seasoning on the Explorer.  The tomato soup seemed to be the regular tomato soup, but was available on a night when it was not on the regular menu.  The grilled avocado was the best thing I ate during the entire week.  The peanut butter Rice Krispie dessert was not great, think Rice Krispies mixed into generic peanut butter.  I had a couple of other things, apparently they were good but forgettable.  I am tired of the repetition in the MDR and the vegan menu was a nice change.

Has anyone tried the tahini banana soft serve on the standard night one vegan menu. I've made vegan ice cream at home using bananas and it is surprisingly good, but could also see it being terrible.

I'm not a vegan, but am looking forward to trying some of the vegan offerings on my next cruise.

My favorite is the avacado and fruit salad. Sliced real avacado and oranges and I dont remember what all fruit. Someone odd I wouldnt order by itself but sweet. 

I once got the grilled avacado and I'm a no. Wierd. 

I love avacado. .. but not cooked on a grill. 

41 minutes ago, Rubyfisch said:

Has anyone tried the tahini banana soft serve on the standard night one vegan menu. I've made vegan ice cream at home using bananas and it is surprisingly good, but could also see it being terrible.

I loved this! It definitely wasn't what I was expecting it to be (and can't recall what was surprising about it) but I do remember enjoying it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, latebuyer said:

Thanks, i was reading some blogs and someone recommended the coconut parsnip soup. The grilled eggplant with soy yogurt and butternut squash curry sounds good. May need a meat appetizer lol. 

This is hilarious to me because that soup was memorably one of the worst things I've ever tried on a cruise ship. And I really like parsnips. 

There's some sort of dish advertised as tacos that is nothing close to being tacos. Not good. The menu assumes vegans want a very light spa type menu. Portion sizes are small. The vegan Indian dishes in the Windjammer are a better option for those who want to feel like they really ate dinner. It seems to be hit or miss on getting those options in the main dining room but it's worth asking. 

17 minutes ago, little britain said:

The grilled avocado is delicious but 🤫 don’t tell everyone! 

I loved it, thought it was the best food I had all week.  But it was huge!  Were you also served both halves of the avocado, or did someone make a mistake with mine?

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

My favorite is the avacado and fruit salad. Sliced real avacado and oranges and I dont remember what all fruit. Someone odd I wouldnt order by itself but sweet. 

20 minutes ago, little britain said:

Hahahahaha.

I dont like grilled shrimp etc either though. I dont like that grilled taste. 

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

20 minutes ago, little britain said:

Hahahahaha.

I dont like grilled shrimp etc either though. I dont like that grilled taste. 

4 hours ago, latebuyer said:

I see there is a vegan menu introduced a few years ago. Has anyone tried it and is anything good? I’m not a vegan but willing to try new things.

Surprised no one has advised to ask your server about off the menu Indian Dishes. Still somewhat a secret menu but we always have a extra Indian entree with dinner.  Ask the head waiter and he will give you something different every night to try. Vegan Indian dishes are very plentiful.

Edited by taglovestocruise

2 hours ago, ZoeyVictoria said:

I loved it, thought it was the best food I had all week.  But it was huge!  Were you also served both halves of the avocado, or did someone make a mistake with mine?

Yes, whole avocado 🥑 - filling!  Just needed a nice grilled steak 🥩 to go with it!!!

Edited by little britain

16 hours ago, taglovestocruise said:

Surprised no one has advised to ask your server about off the menu Indian Dishes. Still somewhat a secret menu but we always have a extra Indian entree with dinner.  Ask the head waiter and he will give you something different every night to try. Vegan Indian dishes are very plentiful.

Our waiter on EX one night found out I loved Indian food.   That next night he surprised me with a special meal.  Was wonderful!  🙂 

1 hour ago, brillohead said:

Polenta Fries:

PolentaFries.jpg.febf52a382a48e998c7c0973414a8c90.jpg

Tempura Vegetables:

TempuraVegetables.jpg.02df6204b8363331a476ad7a5e7b8221.jpg

TempuraVegetables2.jpg.0810f9c372cdec4607d15bc2370d267f.jpg

Corn Fritters:

CornFritters.jpg.fa57a8e6fff17637119f76655aac04e8.jpg

Asparagus:

Asparagus.jpg.876dfe348f9ee6c39481db2e27905ab6.jpg

Zucchini Fritters:

ZucchiniFritters.jpg.82aa14353c79ebadce262038fa3210fd.jpg

Yum!  😋

And I have finally been able to get Bucky used to veggie burgers after all this time.   😄  Though the ones they serve on the ship...are...well...not that great.  Give me my Impossible burgers!  😉 

Just now, CntPAcruiser said:

Are they doing printed menus that have the vegan options on them, or do you have to check the app? I've been looking at menus on the app, and some of the vegan options sound fresh and interesting.

I discovered it by accident.  Just browsing on the app...scrolling down past the kids menu...ran across the Vegan menu.   Worked for me when I did not like the offerings of the menu of the night.  🙂 

Do be prepared that it may take longer.    Not that many ordering off that menu.  

11 minutes ago, CntPAcruiser said:

Are they doing printed menus that have the vegan options on them, or do you have to check the app? I've been looking at menus on the app, and some of the vegan options sound fresh and interesting.

They have a separate printed menu but were quite confused on grandeur. Gave me the one for the wrong day. The app and wifi didnt work in the Mdr. I've learned the hard way to screen shoot what I want to show them offline. 

2 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

They have a separate printed menu but were quite confused on grandeur. Gave me the one for the wrong day. The app and wifi didnt work in the Mdr. I've learned the hard way to screen shoot what I want to show them offline. 

Thank for the info. Good to know! We'll be on Adventure this fall. It will be interesting to see how they are doing it.