18 day cruise - sea days!

I just booked a 18 day cruise from Australia to Honolulu for April 2024. At least it is a newer ship - but oh those sea days!

What do you do on all of those sea days - especially since I am sailing solo!

so load a lot of movies on my iPad and lots of books. But does the ship offer a lot when you have so many sea days together?  I know on shorter cruises they have bingo, trivia during the day but that bores me. 
Oh well, I’m excited and I’m sure I will enjoy it!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Luv my furbaby said:

I just booked a 18 day cruise from Australia to Honolulu for April 2024. At least it is a newer ship - but oh those sea days!

so load a lot of movies on my iPad and lots of books. But does the ship offer a lot when you have so many sea days together?  I know on shorter cruises they have bingo, trivia during the day but that bores me. 

Wake up late. Have breakfast in your room with a mimosa or two (or three).  Find a quiet lounge - read a book with a glass of wine.  Have lunch and another glass of wine.  Take a short nap. Read a little more. Grab a umbrella drink at the pool bar. Grab another one. Watch for wildlife (you'll see whales if you have a 3rd umbrella drink)  Find a bar with a piano player and have a martini.  Have dinner.  Have a after dinner scotch. Next day, repeat.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, mitz18 said:

Wake up late. Have breakfast in your room with a mimosa or two (or three).  Find a quiet lounge - read a book with a glass of wine.  Have lunch and another glass of wine.  Take a short nap. Read a little more. Grab a umbrella drink at the pool bar. Grab another one. Watch for wildlife (you'll see whales if you have a 3rd umbrella drink)  Find a bar with a piano player and have a martini.  Have dinner.  Have a after dinner scotch. Next day, repeat.

Sounds like a plan to me!!  

We find that repositioning /transatlantic/transpacific type cruises have lots of additional activities in sea days.  There is usually an enrichment speaker, bridge class and other organized  options.   Be sure to join the CC  M&M ( or other social medial pages) to meet others for like interests.  (cards/games/crafts etc.)   

I downloaded several movies/books as well.  

Our days were different from the usual sea day in the middle of a Caribbean cruise when we might just relax and drink.   We had a daily routine that included some exercise.   

have fun. 

M

Edited by cruisegirl1
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

12 sea days

Yeah, that's alot. There was a time when DW and I didn't like ANY sea days on a cruise, but as we get older and less ambitious to do a port-a-day, we like having a few. DEFINITELY plan some good reading material. Actually sounds a bit interesting. Thanks for the link!  Hoping you might plan a few days while in Hawaii?  Especially if you've not been there. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

10 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Yeah, that's alot. There was a time when DW and I didn't like ANY sea days on a cruise, but as we get older and less ambitious to do a port-a-day, we like having a few. DEFINITELY plan some good reading material. Actually sounds a bit interesting. Thanks for the link!  Hoping you might plan a few days while in Hawaii?  Especially if you've not been there. 

I didn't book the cruise (not the OP), but I'd be happy to go if you book it (and pay) for me.  😉

• Haha 2

I have done this cruise in reverse and there was always something on,  from talks on the islands and their people to one of the highlights the crossing of the line ceremony when king Neptune comes on board and you become a Shellback.  By the by my trip was 17 days but made 18 by the time difference.  

• Like 1

It's rare to have that level of free time, enjoy it. If you want to be truly daring, don't get the internet package and unplug from the world. As to how to spend your days, I've crocheted, read books, walked for miles, spent all day on a jigsaw puzzle, played games, etc., etc. Since you are solo, you may want to take lunch in the main dining room as a way of meeting new people. (assuming you are okay with Covid risks)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Luv my furbaby said:

I wouldn't worry about getting bored. On the TAs and repos we've done they've always had plenty of daytime activities, specifically designed to give everybody something to do & enjoy during the many sea days. There's usually also get-togethers for solo travellers to give people a chance to meet the other solos.

I also am dreading my transatlantic cruise with 7 straight sea days in November but my significant other insists on doing this type of cruise 🥴 I just hope the sea is calm or the cruise is canceled 😂

• Haha 2

We did a TP in October of 2019 and met a couple playing Sequence.  We started playing it with them and then their friends joined in.  It became a tournament of sorts and some great camaraderie.  We're still friends with our Aussie friends!  

2 hours ago, brillohead said:

Add me to the "love sea days" group!

It's getting hard to find a 7-day cruise with only 3 ports, most have 4-5 ports.  I'd be perfectly happy with a "cruise to nowhere" for a whole week!

8 day southern on EX.  A, B and C.  Two sea days there and 2 back. 

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

8 day southern on EX.  A, B and C.  Two sea days there and 2 back. 

Hence why I had you book me on EX for a month in October!  Then the 6-day itineraries in between go to Coco Cay,  Labadee and Falmouth, and Falmouth is another sea day for me!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, brillohead said:

Add me to the "love sea days" group!

It's getting hard to find a 7-day cruise with only 3 ports, most have 4-5 ports.  I'd be perfectly happy with a "cruise to nowhere" for a whole week!

I would love a 7 day to nowhere too! Years ago when we lived in NY we did a few cruises to nowhere, but it was only a couple of days. 

• Like 1

On the typical 7 day cruise, I have hit my quota with the 3 sea days. Sure I love cruising. Sure a day aboard is better than a day at home. It loses its luster though, especially if the weather is bad. A bad weather sea day is a huge bummer.

I know this may not be the "right" answer. I would love to be able to work remotely onboard a day or so. Talk about a great office and a way to save your vacation days for even more vacations!