Tips for adjusting to time changes during flight TO > Athens

karscott

I'm looking for any tips from seasoned travelers:

We have a 9.5 hour flight from Toronto to Athens, leaving at around 6pm local time in TO and arriving at about 10:30am the next day in Athens. Since we will "lose" seven hours due to the time change, I'm thinking it will feel as if it's 3am or so upon our arrival.

Are there methods to use to mitigate jet lag or adjust more easily to the time difference? Do we try and go to sleep early on in the flight? Sleep at a time that is usual for us? I hate the thought of missing out on what Athens has to offer because we're so thrown off that we can't really enjoy it. The good part is that we fly in a day before our cruise so it gives a little more time to adjust. The bad part is that we're in our 50s and have noticed we don't recover from time changes as easily as we did in our 20s! 😉

Any advice appreciated!

Karen

Sleep when you can during the flight. When you arrive spend as much time as you can outside in sunlight, it helps your body adjust its circadian rhythm. Try to follow your normal routine based on local times. (Don't forget the sunscreen.)

In the days I wore a watch I'd set it to the destination local time right after takeoff. It helped me adjust mentally to the time change.

• Like 9

I take  a melatonin when we get on the plane  & try to sleep

Once we arrive  we drop the bags at the hotel then go explore  for a few hours

We will take an afternoon  nap  for a couple of hours  then about 6pm local time  we get dinner

Then we try to do the same schedule we would at home  but sometimes will go to bed about 10pm the first night 

then next  day business as usual

Good luck

• Like 5

Karscott..we probably did same flight as you on Aug 17.  Flew to Athens arriving an hour late so closer to noon.  Luggage arrived (yeah) and got taxi to hotel.  Our hotel was in plaka area so close to everything we wanted to see.  

One thing to remember is it's likely to be really hot and humid (was 33C) .  When we got to the hotel our room was ready so we checked in and had a shower and napped a few hours.  Not sure about you but we didn't and don't sleep much on the plane.  If you are flying business and have the lay flat seats you'll probably sleep on the plane.

After our nap we went out and had a bite to eat.  We then walked around to see some of the sites.  We are in our 60's and found the heat quite draining.  First thing next morning we did Acropolis and it was so busy..seems others had same thought to climb to it early on!  Still really hot though.  Later on, we grabbed a cab to go to port for our cruise.

Just a reminder to stay hydrated..we saw a couple folks who experienced heat exhaustion.  

Have a great trip.

• Like 2

I do pretty much exactly the same as @broberts.  Sleeping on a plane, for me, is elusive so I try to doze off when I can.  For me that means about 5-10 minutes at a time.  I set my watch to local time not long after boarding.  I find that the biggest help to helping me adjust, along with flying in at least 3 days early.  One thing to remember is to not force yourself to stay awake too late after arrival.  That will make you overtired and make it harder to get to sleep.  Enjoy your trip!

• Like 3

We just did this flight in July. Try to sleep on the plane. Once you get to the hotel drop your bags & get out and walk around. That night try to go to bed at your normal time. If to tired the next day sleep in a bit, not to long. If you are going to visit the Acropolis do it as soon as it opens which is 0800. The crowds are crazy & it gets very hot later on.

• Like 2

We sprung for a set of Sony over ear noise cancelling head phones and they worked great.  Gave ourselves an hour or two to settle into flight, popped them on, and had a good nap each way.  Recharged us enough to get off the plane and try do things in relation to local time and go about your normal activities.  Have found this works out great with an early to bed first night at destination.  Our body clocks synced up great after that.  Good luck.

• Like 2

As others have said, I would try to close your eyes on the flight. 

Just after departure, the crew will prep to do a meal service.  Have dinner then get some sleep.  The wine Air Canada gives away in Economy is drinkable, I usually just have one glass but otherwise avoid alcohol.  Then try to get some sleep, does not have to be good sleep, even napping a little on the flight helps.  Worse thing to do is spend the night watching movies on the entertainment system.  

When you arrive try as much as possible to stick to local time.   You will likely want to go bed early the first night.  That is fine.

• Like 2

I can sleep on the plane. Even before blast off.   DW not so much.   We typically get to our hotel in Europe...Athens or London, just after noon.  Sometimes we have to wait several hours to get in, sometimes not. 

Our practice is to nap for an hour or so, shower, and then get out and walk about.  We are a little tired in the late afternoon.  We have a light meal and then we get to bed by 10.

Next day we feel fine.  The very last thing we want is to sleep for an extended time in the afternoon and then have trouble sleeping at night.    We have done this for years. Of flights to Europe and to flight to SE Asia.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 2

Neither DW nor I get much sleep when flying, but enough to stop us from being dead tired upon arrival. As other have said, we reset our watches to the time at our destination once we have settled in at the beginning of the flight. Once we have checked into our hotel, if our room is available we will unpack, have a shower, change and head out to spend the rest of the day until dinner time exploring the city. If we arrive too early to access our room, we'll store our bags and head out, but will return a bit earlier to unpack, shower and change before dinner. We try to follow the same schedule we would follow at home, although we do go to bed somewhat earlier.

The following morning we tend to wake up earlier because of the time difference, so we are often out of the hotel and walking for an hour or two before having breakfast. With breakfast finished, we have generally made our adjustment and are good to go. For us, it's coming home that seems to take a longer period of adjustment.

• Like 2

Usually the week before, DW and I shift our regular sleep pattern where we go to bed an hour earlier each day and wake up an hour earlier.  We feel it lessens the affects of jetlag when we land.  Then make sure you get plenty of sunlight and try to get back to a regular sleep cycle.  

• Like 1

The two key factors for me are sleep and meals.  

I find I can adjust better if I get good sleep leading up to the trip and then try to switch to destination time after boarding.  I feel it builds up my reserves to allow me to be more flexible and more easily adjust my sleep at the destination.

A couple of times I've tried sleep depriving myself from a little to a lot, the nights before flights with the goal of getting to sleep easier on the plane.  But instead I end up being a wreck the first few days after we arrive.  

After reading some articles on meals & jetleg, I also try not to eat a lot a day leading up to the flight; lots of water though.  And then on the plane, try to align meal times with the destination even if that means skipping meal service. I think this has helped me quite a bit.  

I also try not to drink alcohol or caffine on the plane because they seriously messes up my sleep.  

The missus uses melatonin with some limited success.  I may pop one on occasion but I don't think it helps me much.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Magicat said:

Usually the week before, DW and I shift our regular sleep pattern where we go to bed an hour earlier each day and wake up an hour earlier.  We feel it lessens the affects of jetlag when we land.  Then make sure you get plenty of sunlight and try to get back to a regular sleep cycle.  

I'm sorry, are you saying that by the day of your outbound flight, you're waking up 6-7 hours earlier than you normally do?

There's also this that might be helpful: https://sleepopolis.com/calculators/jet-lag/

We try to sleep on the plane I find if I can get a few hours I can survive the first day.  I will use some melatonin.  We try really hard not to nap,  but just get outside in the sunshine and walk around.   Then we usually go to bed after an earlier dinner and the next day we're good to go.   

If possible we will choose a flight that leaves later so there is more chance of sleeping. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

As everyone else said, do whatever you can to sleep on the plane.  Once you land, power through until a reasonable bedtime (I aim for at 9pm at the earliest, 10 would be great).  

Sleep general eludes me on planes no matter what I do - drugs, business class lie flat beds - nothing works.  What I do is put on a sleep mask and put something on my earphones - spa-like music, a sleep meditation, something to block out other noise and help me zone out, nothing that requires attention (like a podcast).  Getting comfy is key so sit somewhere that you won't be bumped or interrupted (like a window seat), and I have used one of those blow up pillows that you essentially lean forward on, wrap your arms around them and your head rests on it.  

I'm not one for sleeping on planes, but when we do fly from Toronto to anywhere in Europe I insist I get as much sleep as possible because when we land its morning, so I go on about my day like its a new day (because technically it is), in which my night's sleep was just pretty crappy, which can happen on or off of a plane.  We also go to bed earlier than usual the first night, maybe 9ish to catch up on some of that missed sleep.   

• Like 1

You have the perfect flight to avoid jet lag, like most people have said, don’t go to sleep until what would be your regular time in Greek time. I take a sleeping pill on the plane to help me sleep on the flight otherwise I wouldn’t sleep, it makes the world of difference for me 

• Like 1

We recently travelled Toronto to Copenhagen and found our jet lag symptoms very mild.  We think it was because the flight was late (10pm) and we were able to get about 4 hours of sleep.  When we landed it was around 11am local time.  We checked into the hotel, wandered about for 6 hours then chilled at the lobby bar until around 8:30 and went to bed.  Woke up around 7:30ish and off we went.  

• Like 1

Also not a good plane sleeper - I convince myself I am resting with closed eyes!  LOL  I heard of this app called timeshifter which I am going to try prior to my upcoming international flight (I believe the first 'trip' is free on the app).  I understand it advises you on caffeine consumption/light/darkness etc.

Worth a try I think?  

https://www.pilotplans.com/blog/timeshifter-review

• Thanks 1

Hi, as you can see everyone has different ways of handling that long haul flight. I am able to sleep and when going to Europe I am in Business Class so the seat turns into a bed😀. Really helps! I would say if my flight is 8 hours, I can sleep between 5-6 hours. 

Enjoy your cruise🙂

My tried and true solution to red-eye flights to Europe from North America:  skip the airplane food and drink service.  Have a good meal (salad and some protein, low fat and lots of WATER) before getting on the flight.  Take a light sweater/blanket/scarf/jacket and cover your head.  I also use Bose noise cancelling earbuds.  I'm usually asleep before take off!  This will give you about 30 minutes before the flight attendants start their service.  If you wake up hungry before the pre-landing breakfast service, they always have snacks and drinks at the service bays.  Good luck!  I'll be in Athens in November.

• Like 2