Disappointed with princess

cruisejunkie

26 minutes ago, getaway101 said:

Don't crucify me for my next question.....but......are the formal nights really formal?

Yes and no.  There are folks dressed up like your photo and many less so, and lots of smart casual.  We are going all smart casual this fall.  Long pants and a shirt for me.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

We'd never been to Icy Straight Point before, so we enjoyed the stop there last week very much. Highlights were the mountain gondola and the loop walk with about a dozen other folks and a bear guard with a rifle. No bears showed up.

Agreed. I go to Alaska to be walking outside. Hard to get that in Skagway

23 hours ago, cruisejunkie said:

We just returned from the Discovery Alaska cruise and felt disappointed with the over all quality. The ship itself was wonderful, no complaints there.  The extra things that make princess special were lacking. No mints at turn down, no tote bags on first land day, no snacks at bar to name just a few.  Madallion was great for unlocking door but otherwise useless because of poor wifi. No special lotions in bathroom for elite.  Food quality was not up to snuff.   This was our first princess cruise since Covid and we don’t like the changes. Has anyone else felt this way?

The chocolates weren't that good, I can order whatever snacks I want brought to me anywhere, and I'm personally glad they're cutting down on tiny plastic bottles. I just fill my purse one from their larger bathroom one. Less plastic, less waste, JMHO. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Alright - that does it!!  Too many folks raving about the Big Box chocolates, I am going to HAVE to try them.  Is this a Kirkland-branded product?  

Yes, and while you are at it...buy yourself a large bottle of mac nuts with caramel covered in chocolate.  I do not dare to buy myself a bottle.  My waistline would object loudly.  I have to make sacrifices so that I can cruise more.Still working the pounds off the last cruise.  Anyone else having difficulties?  So much harders as I put on the years.

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Yes, and while you are at it...buy yourself a large bottle of mac nuts with caramel covered in chocolate.  I do not dare to buy myself a bottle.  My waistline would object loudly.  I have to make sacrifices so that I can cruise more.Still working the pounds off the last cruise.  Anyone else having difficulties?  So much harders as I put on the years.

Kirkland chocolate covered raisins are really, really good. We bought them only once and vowed never again after neither of us could stop eating them. 

I hear you on the poundage. Over the years, I've mostly avoided gaining but this time I came back three pounds up. This is three pounds that I can't afford! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

Agreed. I go to Alaska to be walking outside. Hard to get that in Skagway

The chocolates weren't that good, I can order whatever snacks I want brought to me anywhere, and I'm personally glad they're cutting down on tiny plastic bottles. I just fill my purse one from their larger bathroom one. Less plastic, less waste, JMHO. 

I have a large stainless steel water bottle that I call "sippy cup." Sippy cup goes everywhere with me.

FYI for another trip when you go to Skagway, there's a nice little hiking trail section over past the airport. You head for the airport and go across a bridge over the river to get to it. Easy trails.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm in a very nice upscale hotel in the UK. No tiny sample size takeaway containers of toiletries.  Just 3 large bottles that they refill just like on Princess. Get the feeling it's the way now. Less plastic waste. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I literally have one of those sitting on my desk, staring at me, seductively whispering sweet calories at my eyeballs.  

Must.  Resist.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Mrs Ldubs calls those "turtles".  We don't buy them because I have no self control when those are around. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, getaway101 said:

Good to know....although I always take my own, soap, shampoo and lotion due to sensitive skin issues.

Hubby doesn't care what he uses. although not sure he will want to smell like gardenias.

Neither of us ever uses the lotions, body wash, shampoo, etc. I'm allergic to the scents in most of that stuff. We bring our own shampoo and my wife uses unscented lotion. I really don't understand whey everything has to have some overpowering scent added. We also brought small bars of soap but were pleasantly surprised to find that they were provided onboard.

• Like 3

On 8/31/2022 at 4:46 PM, cruisejunkie said:

We just returned from the Discovery Alaska cruise and felt disappointed with the over all quality. The ship itself was wonderful, no complaints there.  The extra things that make princess special were lacking. No mints at turn down, no tote bags on first land day, no snacks at bar to name just a few.  Madallion was great for unlocking door but otherwise useless because of poor wifi. No special lotions in bathroom for elite.  Food quality was not up to snuff.   This was our first princess cruise since Covid and we don’t like the changes. Has anyone else felt this way?

Nope

Cheers

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Neither of us ever uses the lotions, body wash, shampoo, etc. I'm allergic to the scents in most of that stuff. We bring our own shampoo and my wife uses unscented lotion. I really don't understand whey everything has to have some overpowering scent added. We also brought small bars of soap but were pleasantly surprised to find that they were provided onboard.

I am allergic to eucalyptus but the small scented bottles/tubes did not seem to affect me (maybe they didn't use "true" essential oils).  But gardenias, can't even be near them.  The bigger question would be, why would Princess change/fix something that isn't broken (rhetorical questions)....We all know the answer.  

BTW....thank you to ALL who have chimed in with their sweet chocolate decadents.  So much "funner" than chair hogs, masks, formal nights, etc.  We all could use a break from reality.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Alright - that does it!!  Too many folks raving about the Big Box chocolates, I am going to HAVE to try them.  Is this a Kirkland-branded product?  

Actually I don't think they were Kirkland. I "believe" what we purchased was the picture below. My wife liked them more than I did as I thought there was a bit too much salt. Of course I still "suffered through" and ate them anyway.

image.png.5ead64aae0a16fead17a9fbcf58a8164.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Actually I don't think they were Kirkland. I "believe" what we purchased was the picture below. My wife liked them more than I did as I thought there was a bit too much salt. Of course I still "suffered through" and ate them anyway.

I am with you.. not such a fan of salt crystals all over chocolate, so it depends on how much there is for my taste.

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

Same. I have to take my own products everywhere. I'm super sensitive to artificial scent and even some natural fragrances as well. I get instant headaches with certain scents. I'm just glad Princess doesn't use scented laundry products.

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

image.png.5ead64aae0a16fead17a9fbcf58a8164.png

Love these!  Especially good cold.

• Thanks 1

On 8/31/2022 at 5:46 PM, cruisejunkie said:

Actually no.  We were on Sky over NYE and just recently the dreaded Crown. 
We got all the things you mentioned, tote bag, turn down, lotions, little round bars of soap,  Nope to the chocolates on the pillows or the bar snacks. Wifi was fine...food was good. 
I think each ship varies a bit in what they offer and I also think your cabin steward can get you some of the extras that Elites get.   Our last two stewards were wonderful!   One of them even gave us slippers, a t-shirt and a Stanley Bear!

• Like 2

On 8/31/2022 at 3:11 PM, Coral said:

Honestly - the cruise lines are struggling to survive right now. They can't hire enough people to fully staff a ship, to entertain an entire staff, to fully staff a corporate office, etc... They are having similar issues as other hospitality venues. Plus, they are trying to recover financially after having no income for 2 years. Remember - they did not receive any government funding to supplement their income.

Yes there are cut backs with all the lines. They are trying to survive. Honestly - I am surprised they are doing as well as they are.

Have you looked at CCL's stock recently?

I get that they have to cut costs to make ends meet. But conversely, cutting back on the product quality will also make you lose customers too.

2 sides to every story. It's a give n take and everyone's calculus is different. 

On 8/31/2022 at 2:49 PM, wowzz said:

If you have been reading these pages over the last six months you will have read hundreds, if not thousands of posts, on these subjects !

I personally didn't know that they took away the blue bags until now. I actually like and use them. 

18 minutes ago, suzyed said:

Actually no.  We were on Sky over NYE and just recently the dreaded Crown. 
We got all the things you mentioned, tote bag, turn down, lotions, little round bars of soap,  Nope to the chocolates on the pillows or the bar snacks. Wifi was fine...food was good. 
I think each ship varies a bit in what they offer and I also think your cabin steward can get you some of the extras that Elites get.   Our last two stewards were wonderful!   One of them even gave us slippers, a t-shirt and a Stanley Bear!

Wait, why is the crown dreaded? I am going to spend 15 days on her sailing to HI. Please inform me. 

1 minute ago, DrSea said:

Wait, why is the crown dreaded? I am going to spend 15 days on her sailing to HI. Please inform me. 

She will have undergone a dry dock before Hawaii.  Hopefully they will be able to fix her engine/mechanical problems.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cr8tiv1 said:

She will have undergone a dry dock before Hawaii.  Hopefully they will be able to fix her engine/mechanical problems.

oh thank God. Crown princess will be on dry dock in oct 22, but my cruise is in feb 13. Hopefully they will figure everything out. by then. 

• Like 1