"Free airfare" a good deal, or a trap?

mandwcruise

airfare promos  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What's been your experience with free airfare deals from cruise lines?

• Good
    • Bad
    • Avoided it because it proved too troublesome

16 hours ago, ldubs said:

We are similar in approach when it comes to bundling.  I've never booked air though a cruise line. The advantages I would see booking via the cruise line, in this case EZAir, would be cost and customer service.  So far it seems there could be a cost savings.  Not sure about customer service.   

Additionally, I would never book airfare without specific seat selection.  

We have sailed trans-Atlantic home at least six times after staying in either England or Italy.  Each time the cruise line’s connection gave a one way eastbound fare MUCH lower than any airline would offer.   But each time we would only be given the airlines’ link after paying fare in full -  which meant that to have effective airline choice (I prefer some lines’ equipment over others’) and to have decent seat selection you had to pay well before final payment date.  It has been a few years - but until just those few years ago most airlines would charge as much for a one way T/A as for a round trip.

When talking about one way T/A’s the cost benefit is great - and you book your flight, seat, etc. yourself with your airline of choice rather than risk letting some functionary select things for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

We have sailed trans-Atlantic home at least six times after staying in either England or Italy.  Each time the cruise line’s connection gave a one way eastbound fare MUCH lower than any airline would offer.   But each time we would only be given the airlines’ link after paying fare in full -  which meant that to have effective airline choice (I prefer some lines’ equipment over others’) and to have decent seat selection you had to pay well before final payment date.  It has been a few years - but until just those few years ago most airlines would charge as much for a one way T/A as for a round trip.

When talking about one way T/A’s the cost benefit is great - and you book your flight, seat, etc. yourself with your airline of choice rather than risk letting some functionary select things for you.

We have had good luck twice  with BA consolidator fares from Toronto-Istanbul.  Better price, much better sched than cruise air.

We did a flight to Porto and then five days later to Rome combined  for slightly less than the cruise air offer.  The benefit being a week to explore the Douro Valley

And we had great cruise air from BCN-Calgary on BA.  They were the same fare code  consolidator tickets as we purchased thru a TA on prior trips.

BA is good for consolidator tickets for us. Pre covid three flights a day to LHR, AM arrival and then at two, usually three onward flights to a final destination.

For some reason the only cruise line that we have had difficulty obtaining reasonable one way air quotes is Princess.  Not even in the ballpark.  We could never understand why this is.

Edited by iancal

On 9/4/2022 at 11:28 AM, ldubs said:

This has turned into a debate over words.  I suggest we agree to say "package" or "included" instead of "free" so we can move back to the OP's airfare topic. 

It's ironic because the thread is literally about words. "Free" things are one of the biggest traps. Sometimes, they might be a better deal. "Free or included" items can be a better deal than buying them separately. Compare offers and find it was best for your needs.

If you are buying something because you think a company is giving you something for "free" you've probably fallen into a trap.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

It's ironic because the thread is literally about words. "Free" things are one of the biggest traps. Sometimes, they might be a better deal. "Free or included" items can be a better deal than buying them separately. Compare offers and find it was best for your needs.

I made the comment with the hopes of getting back to the OP's question regarding getting air via the cruise line.   I'm interested in that.  I'm interested in the value, customer service when things go south, and details such as flight and seat selection.  I've never purchased airfares that way, and have learned a few things.  

5 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

If you are buying something because you think a company is giving you something for "free" you've probably fallen into a trap.

I think it safe to say everyone knows cruise lines are not passing out free air fares.  

On 9/4/2022 at 9:20 AM, mjkacmom said:

The gratuity of $20 per person per day is still way cheaper than buying drinks OOP.

Not if you drink very little and DW not at all since alcohol is contraindicated with a prescription med she takes.

57 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Not if you drink very little and DW not at all since alcohol is contraindicated with a prescription med she takes.

Right, so you can decline the package and not pay the gratuity, my drinks cost around $12 - $15 each so it’s a no brainer.

I think the OP is well aware that the airfare isn't free. Even on NCL, there is an asterisk next to "free airfare" that says that you have to purchase one ticket to qualify for one free ticket. So it's really BOGO airfare.

I have never done this so can't verify if it's "worth" it; however, I have seen many complaints on NCL's forum that suggest it's not. Bad flight times and receiving last minute tickets. I am also extra apprehensive about booking airfare through a third party these days with all the cancellations. We know the policies of the airline we typically book and haven't had any issues fixing flights that have been changed. I wouldn't want to give that up to save a couple hundred dollars. 

On 9/3/2022 at 11:20 PM, mandwcruise said:

how much money did you end up saving?

As a solo, I paid a 100% solo supplement on the Norwegian Bliss and sailed in a balcony vs. paying my own airfare and sailing in a Studio, the difference was around $60.  This was in 2019 when the offer was free or reduced airfare, I think the airfare was a line item worth around $200 additional on the fare.  I'm looking at booking a cruise next Spring, the airfare line is around $360 which is, again, for a solo so with the current BOGO promo I'm getting the airfare at 50% off.

how much advance notice did the cruise line give you as to your flight plan?

6 weeks or so, but NCL is now down to about 30 days (it even says this on the booking screen!)

how many connections were there each way?

One connection in each direction (2 flights each way).

how much time was there between the plane's arrival and your time to board the ship?

about 24 hours.  I asked for a one-day deviation, the flight got me to LA from the East coast by noon on travel day.

did the cruise line offer flexibility e.g. letting you move your arrival flight up a day or your departing flight back a day?

Prior to the deadline for making such changes the cruise line will let you request a deviation of 1-2 days.  Once the deadline has passed - no changes.

was customer service good about resolving issues?

I didn't have any issues, but that was now 3 years ago.

Would I do it again?  If the airline industry settles out and becomes more reliable I would certainly consider it.

I didn't read other replies, just contributed my answers.

• Like 1

I think it is fairly simple to figure out if the all inclusive price is a value or not.  The issue I have is the same as others have mentioned - choosing your flights and carrier.   I am always willing to pay more for non-stop which is often not what is offered.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, iancal said:

I do not understand why it would be a trap.

Because often the arranged air is via connecting flights, rather than direct;  you frequently do not receive airline and flight information until shortly before flight date - making it close to impossible to select desired seats.   You should only do this if you can be given airline information in advance - which will not happen until you pay fare in full -- and are given details re: participating airlines --- so you can make the arrangements yourself.  Letting some cruise booking person, or some intermediary, handle the booking is a recipe for disappointment (if not disaster).

16 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Because often the arranged air is via connecting flights, rather than direct;  you frequently do not receive airline and flight information until shortly before flight date - making it close to impossible to select desired seats.   You should only do this if you can be given airline information in advance - which will not happen until you pay fare in full -- and are given details re: participating airlines --- so you can make the arrangements yourself.  Letting some cruise booking person, or some intermediary, handle the booking is a recipe for disappointment (if not disaster).

That is why one has to truly understand what they are buying and NOT make assumptions about the product.

Why on earth would someone spring for air, 'free' or otherwise without knowing the airline, the routing, the seating, the fare code, etc????  

We travel frequently.  We would never, ever fall for a gag like this.   When it comes to travel we learned a long time ago never to buy a pig in a poke.  And never to assume anything. 

This is nothing more than the old sales trick by a seller.  Have the price or the large discount move the customer eyes away from the product or the product attributes and the value.

Especially when you will not find out until it could be too late to make alternative, reasonably priced arrangements.

Edited by iancal

39 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Because often the arranged air is via connecting flights, rather than direct;

Not a concern for me.  Except for a few select airports (unless I'm flying to a hub city) I can't fly anywhere without a connection unless I want to drive a couple hours to a different airport.

Only ONE of the airports I can get a direct flight to on an airline with which I would fly is a gateway for cruising - MCO - and that is only one flight a day on Southwest.

On one of our trips to Thailand I was about to hit the buy button.  I assumed that the airline had a $200 change fee just in case.

At the last minute I decided to check on the ticket's fare code.  Sure enough it was no change, no refund.

We changed to another airline who had a similar fare but their fare code allowed for a change @$200.

As luck would have we did have to return a few weeks  early from Thailand because of a family issue.   This was the first time ever that we had to cut a trip short. 

This ability to change saved us each a good chunk of change over the the cost of buying a one way ticket home.

Edited by iancal

There are times when booking air through a cruise line can save enough money to pay for the cruise.  This happens with some cruise lines where you would book international business class or first class and save enough money (when compared to the normal air fares) to cover part or all the cruise price.  We have done this with HAL and Princess where we have saved thousands on expensive business class air.  Princess, HAL, Seabourn and some other lines have online air booking engines that let you carefully choose your flights.  So, for example, we recently flew home from Prague, in lay flat business class seats, for about $1000. This is thousands less than the normal air fare.   Other lines like MSC and Oceania are not very helpful when it comes to saving big bucks on expensive air.

Lots of options with some of these lines, but things are a bit weird now because of the airline problems.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Princess, HAL, Seabourn and some other lines have online air booking engines that let you carefully choose your flights.

That's different from the promotional air that the OP was asking about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hallux said:

That's different from the promotional air that the OP was asking about.

Yes and no.  It simply means that folks need to look at the overall value of cruise plus air.  An air promotion can be a decent deal, a ripoff, or something between.  Folks should evaluate by calculating the reasonable cost per passenger day (for the cruise) plus the value of the air.  

Hank

• Like 2

Viking offered free air, and I thought, ok, but from major US cities. We got free air from Little Rock, plus the cruise was also discounted!!! This in spring of 2022, so I am sure it was Covid related, but we took advantage.

Princess has an off now for $400 towards air. They found flights for us on Southwest for $450. Not bad!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jackiel3290 said:

Viking offered free air, and I thought, ok, but from major US cities. We got free air from Little Rock, plus the cruise was also discounted!!! This in spring of 2022, so I am sure it was Covid related, but we took advantage.

Princess has an off now for $400 towards air. They found flights for us on Southwest for $450. Not bad!

Free 'anything' is good as long as you know the total cost and compare both the line items and the bottom total.  Gotta check those itineraries, tho ... make sure it's something you'd book yourself and not 3 connections, one of them a red eye. 

• Like 1

We took an offer from RCI a few years ago to credit each of us $500. towards our cruise air fare. .

Prior to pushing the buy button we selected the airline, the route, etc. for our flight. 

We would never go for free air unless we were given the air details right down to airline, routing, times, and  fare codes. 

This would be the only way that we could determine if it was really a savings and if the air was acceptable to us.

• Like 1

We are doing a Mediterranean cruise with NCL in July 2023. We are going round-trip from Los Angeles to Rome using the free airfare. Not really free, but we pay 250 per person. I didn’t bother to look up the actual fight cost, But I don’t think I can get round trip to Europe for that cost on any airline. Might we get really bad flights, yes. But to save what I figured would be at least $1500 is worth it to me.

23 minutes ago, dadroy said:

We are doing a Mediterranean cruise with NCL in July 2023. We are going round-trip from Los Angeles to Rome using the free airfare. Not really free, but we pay 250 per person. I didn’t bother to look up the actual fight cost, But I don’t think I can get round trip to Europe for that cost on any airline. Might we get really bad flights, yes. But to save what I figured would be at least $1500 is worth it to me.

You might want to ask for a one day deviation, I believe your flight will be a red eye landing the morning of your cruise.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dadroy said:

I agree with you about the cost ... but what about the itinerary?  I've heard so many horror stories about people flying with 3 connections, arriving to stagger bleary-eyed up the gangway ... the cruise line didn't release the itinerary until it was too late to do anything about it.  Then there is the current story about NCL flying people into Montreal because 'the airlines they use don't fly to Quebec'.  I haven't cruised on NCL in years, next week out of Quebec will be an eye-opener I'm sure.  I'd call NCL's air desk to see if there are any options for booking a decent flight.  Couldn't hurt. 

Edited by jsn55
add a thought