The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday September 4th, 2022

richwmn

5 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Good morning. 

Asking for prayers for Allen. While at the VA Friday he suffered a TIA. After a critical care doctor checked him over we were sent to the Texas University Seton ER downtown Austin by ambulance for lots tests, MRI, bloodwork. Spent the night, released yesterday afternoon. Need additional tests on Tuesday here at our clinic. Echocardiogram and additional tests. He has had 2 serious strokes over the past 9 years so we need to be extra vigilant. Thanks for prayers.

Sending  prayers  for Allen.

Jim.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Cruzin Terri said:

No time to write. Big flood in my house.  Toilet in master bath broke water all over the house. Waiting for someone to come and help us get the water out.

What a mess!

Terri

So sorry to hear this. Wish I lived closer so I could help.

Edited by 1ANGELCAT
  • Like 9

I'm late to the Fleet/Daily and haven't caught up on today's posts. But, before today gets away from all of us, I will post our pictures from Mayotte. (And, then go back and catch up...)

On November 15, 1996, DH and I tendered from the Orient Line's Marco Polo to Dzaoudzi, Mayotte.

IMG_20220904_190301217.thumb.jpg.d057af38bf02c9abfa1f379417f81b6f.jpg

There we went as far as the gate post of the French Foreign Legion detachment. Two legionaires agreed to pose while a third took this (heads semi-cut off) picture.

IMG_20220904_190233367.thumb.jpg.d6cb86c275548602a0a9ea04fc58045d.jpg

IMG_20220904_190237669.thumb.jpg.3b9b37b50e3ce3c04609d316b1d90554.jpg

From Dzaoudzi, DH and I independently boarded the local ferry to Mamoudzou, Mayotte. The Salama Djema (technically a passenger/landing craft) was almost brand new having been built in 1995. But, looking back, I shudder to think about how overloaded and overcrowded it was as we pulled away.

IMG_20220904_190242727.thumb.jpg.015649550fcea151ac481a7225501951.jpg

Two people who missed the ferry. Our roundtrip Dzaoudzi to Mamoudzou paid in French francs was less than $1USD.

IMG_20220904_190247405.thumb.jpg.c62457e1ada96a5e1c1eda04ab4738f8.jpg

In Mamoudzou, we walked the extremely colorful market. I remember it as one of the most diverse marketplaces I've ever been in with many languages spoken.

IMG_20220904_190306523.thumb.jpg.3b0db133a2526583c1e1aec3e12913d0.jpg

-Melisa

Edited by HAL Sailer
typo
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 3

Prayers for all the Saskatchewan Victims.  We got an alert on our phone as we are near as the crow flies.  Scary times. 

on a happier note  will look for Aurora tonight as we are up further north.    Never have been so lucky in one night as last night.  Also apparently captured SAR which the experts tell me is stable Aurora red.   Aka the blob.  I am learning as we have some serious Aurora watchers here.   

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 11

Ee gads, I made it through the day, I still have racing to watch, the mother in law has been called, the dinner with our friend was right on time, and I caught up with the daily!  Amazing!

@Seasick Sailor Adding Allen to my prayers, and you too. Unless you have "been there"  (being the loved one, when something goes wrong with your other half) is so hard to understand how much is knocked out of you in a moment.  I get out, as do many on the daily.

@USN59-79I was thinking of that song the other day, might it be "Urge for Going"  written by Joni Mitchell made famous by Tom Rush?  And I get the urge for going, when the summer winds are winding down, all the leaves are turning brown, the evenings empire is falling down,  and winters closing in.

I was visiting my folks while in MN one winter, and they took me up to Dad's lawyers house north of Minneapolis for the night.  Not sure why we spent the night up there, they were partying so I guess no one wanted to drive home drunk, any way I got to stay in the rec room with one of the younger sons, watchin tv,  it was New Years Eve, I do remember that.  I'm not a sit in the house all day person, I need air, of course I had not been out in the middle of a winter night in MN, but the kid and I went outside, and I got to see the Aurora Borealis!  What a treat!!  I think back on that night a a gift from God to celebrate the New Years.

51240fd55e81e818ef12484cfdea9997.jpg

• Like 15

3 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good evening, @ger_77, I hope you are safe, I just had a BBC alert about the deaths and mass stabbings in your province. 💔🙏

2 hours ago, Live4cruises said:

@ger_77and @1ANGELCAT, I just saw the headlines too, and of course thought of Gerry.  I hope you and your friends and family are safe.

Best~~

Thank you for your concern; a heck of a way to make international news!  We’ve had friends contact us from the U.S., Australia, and Japan asking if we were okay.  The main incident took place about a 2 hour drive from here and it appears the perpetrators fled in the opposite direction of our city.  We’ve had several emergency alerts on our phones (scare the bejeepers out of you when they go off!)and on the television and radio, urging caution, so we’re super vigilant about keeping the house doors locked and the vehicles locked up tight as well.  They remain at large tonight and we’re hoping by morning we will have news that they are in custody.

Thanks again for your concern.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 7

We had someone come tonight and he put equipment all over the house to get the water out.  We have to have all the carpeting removed in the living room, two bedrooms the vanity in the master bathroom, baseboards have to be replaced.  Cannot use master bedroom.

Nothing before Tuesday.

Always happens on a holiday.

All this because the hose on the toilet broke and the water was just pouring out of the tank. I was in the den and Jim was in the kitchen so we didn’t notice it for a few hours.

What a mess!

I called the insurance company and they sent a water mitigator to set up the equipment .  We were trying to do it with a shop vac.  It was impossible.

I am exhausted.

Thanks to those of you who expressed concern.

Terri

• Like 3
  • Thanks 12

@ger_77  Chuck and I have been looking at the googly news, I am so glad that you posted that you are safe, the doors are locked, and the cars are locked.  PHew, and take care.

the flooding in Georgia is not near @StLouisCruisers or me, so far.  it has been raining most of the early evening, and i guess we are expecting more.  i love the sound of the rain.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Thank you for your concern; a heck of a way to make international news!  We’ve had friends contact us from the U.S., Australia, and Japan asking if we were okay.  The main incident took place about a 2 hour drive from here and it appears the perpetrators fled in the opposite direction of our city.  We’ve had several emergency alerts on our phones (scare the bejeepers out of you when they go off!)and on the television and radio, urging caution, so we’re super vigilant about keeping the house doors locked and the vehicles locked up tight as well.  They remain at large tonight and we’re hoping by morning we will have news that they are in custody.

Thanks again for your concern.

Gerry, good to know you weren't in any danger, and that you are taking precautions. I hope they catch them soon.

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

We had someone come tonight and he put equipment all over the house to get the water out.  We have to have all the carpeting removed in the living room, two bedrooms the vanity in the master bathroom, baseboards have to be replaced.  Cannot use master bedroom.

Nothing before Tuesday.

Always happens on a holiday.

All this because the hose on the toilet broke and the water was just pouring out of the tank. I was in the den and Jim was in the kitchen so we didn’t notice it for a few hours.

What a mess!

I called the insurance company and they sent a water mitigator to set up the equipment .  We were trying to do it with a shop vac.  It was impossible.

I am exhausted.

Thanks to those of you who expressed concern.

Terri

Terri, sorry this happened to you.  I'm glad you got some help.

1 hour ago, marshhawk said:

@ger_77  Chuck and I have been looking at the googly news, I am so glad that you posted that you are safe, the doors are locked, and the cars are locked.  PHew, and take care.

the flooding in Georgia is not near @StLouisCruisers or me, so far.  it has been raining most of the early evening, and i guess we are expecting more.  i love the sound of the rain.

Ann, thanks for letting us know the flooding is not near you or @StLouisCruisers Sandi.

Lenda

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, marshhawk said:

Ee gads, I made it through the day, I still have racing to watch, the mother in law has been called, the dinner with our friend was right on time, and I caught up with the daily!  Amazing!

@Seasick Sailor Adding Allen to my prayers, and you too. Unless you have "been there"  (being the loved one, when something goes wrong with your other half) is so hard to understand how much is knocked out of you in a moment.  I get out, as do many on the daily.

@USN59-79I was thinking of that song the other day, might it be "Urge for Going"  written by Joni Mitchell made famous by Tom Rush?  And I get the urge for going, when the summer winds are winding down, all the leaves are turning brown, the evenings empire is falling down,  and winters closing in.

I was visiting my folks while in MN one winter, and they took me up to Dad's lawyers house north of Minneapolis for the night.  Not sure why we spent the night up there, they were partying so I guess no one wanted to drive home drunk, any way I got to stay in the rec room with one of the younger sons, watchin tv,  it was New Years Eve, I do remember that.  I'm not a sit in the house all day person, I need air, of course I had not been out in the middle of a winter night in MN, but the kid and I went outside, and I got to see the Aurora Borealis!  What a treat!!  I think back on that night a a gift from God to celebrate the New Years.

51240fd55e81e818ef12484cfdea9997.jpg

The song is "Gotta Travel On" from about 1965 and made famous by Bobby Bare, Bob Dylan and the Kingston Trio.

Ray

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1