17 year old cruising without parents?

HI,

My son who will be 17 is an avid cruiser and has found a great cruise on Royal Caribbean in Asia next year. I am more than happy for him to go on this cruise, he is a very sensible kid, he wouldnt misbehave or try to drink etc and I would be happy to sign anything confirming so. Has anyone ever heard of a cruise company agreeing to this? The Royal Caribbean cruise age for Asia is 18.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated, thank you.

• Haha 2

Thanks, yes I am afraid not and the person he would be travelling with would also be 17 so I cannot use that one anyway 😄 thank you for the reply though, its appreciated. I couldnt get through to RCCL to ask, I will try calling them again. Maybe someone will have experience of something like this.

1 hour ago, HellyDonandkids said:

Thanks, yes I am afraid not and the person he would be travelling with would also be 17 so I cannot use that one anyway 😄 thank you for the reply though, its appreciated. I couldnt get through to RCCL to ask, I will try calling them again. Maybe someone will have experience of something like this.

He will not be allowed to cruise.  This is unfortunately one of the answers where it is black and white with no gray area, they will not grant exceptions.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Skippy said:

That’s news to me. We weren’t able to book our kids in a separate room. Do they have to be a certain age to do this?

No, you can't do it online though.  You either have to call to book it, or your have to have a TA who knows the rules.

• Like 2

I have SERIOUS RESERVATIONS that they would break this rule.  The potential liability, and unbelievable bad press that would occur if God forbid, something terrible happened could be devastating.

In addition, a parent who authorized such a solo world travel trip could be held accountable for childs liability should something go seriously wrong.

And before everyone shoots that possibility down, look up the Cincinnati Flying Pig Marathon, who last year bent their own rules allowing a family with 3 or 4 kids under 18, including one really young run the marathon. 

Eddie

Edited by Eddie Wilson

3 hours ago, brillohead said:

No, you can't do it online though.  You either have to call to book it, or your have to have a TA who knows the rules.

Exactly.  Unfortunately there are a lot of TA's who are unaware of this or know this but tell blients otherwise just so they don't have to call.  Even ta's need to call to book this way. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, HellyDonandkids said:

HI,

My son who will be 17 is an avid cruiser and has found a great cruise on Royal Caribbean in Asia next year. I am more than happy for him to go on this cruise, he is a very sensible kid, he wouldnt misbehave or try to drink etc and I would be happy to sign anything confirming so. Has anyone ever heard of a cruise company agreeing to this? The Royal Caribbean cruise age for Asia is 18.

Book me a cabin and I'll be their temporary guardian. 🤣🤣🤣  Seriously, even if they are mature beyond their age it won't happen. Hopefully when he is of age he will find another great cruise or you will be able to go.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, ReneeFLL said:

Book me a cabin and I'll be their temporary guardian. 🤣🤣🤣  Seriously, even if they are mature beyond their age it won't happen. Hopefully when he is of age he will find another great cruise or you will be able to go.

Yeah, unless this was a kid I knew, no way would I put myself on the hook to be responsible.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, HellyDonandkids said:

HI,

Wait another year...he's got a lifetime ahead of him.

* Traveling in Asia as a minor, on his own, is not a good idea. You, as a parent, will regret it if something bad happens to him...just my humble opinion.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, bonsai3s said:

* Traveling in Asia as a minor, on his own, is not a good idea. You, as a parent, will regret it if something bad happens to him...just my humble opinion.

Go watch Brokedown Palace then decide.  

• Like 3