Child of Parents who have Princess Plus

Thrak

17 hours ago, Thrak said:

Any insight would be greatly appreciated as I'm certain to be asked about it.

The last cruise I booked was under the "Kids Sail Free" promotion.  Wife and I got Plus. Third person got nada.  Spoke with my CVP and added Plus to the third person at the going rate ($50/day) so that we would not have to worry about Crew Appreciation, and because the third person is over 21 and will probably put a dent in the 15 drinks per day more than I will.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

I guess because those stand alone drink packages are sooooooooooo expensive I forget they still exist. 

They still exist so Princess can claim how much $$$ you will save by purchasing the Plus fare or Premier Fare.

Many travel agents imply in their wording that if you book the Plus fare, you are getting a free beverage package.

2 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Crew will figure out pretty quickly that Parent is ordering and handing it off to Child. Which is of course against the rules. If Dad makes a comment about having  a package but child doesn’t so go ahead and bill me, the crew member may or may not bill it. But Dad should be absolutely upfront about being willing to pay for it. Some crew miss their own little ones at home and enjoy spoiling the kids. 

Since dad is a CHP Sergeant he's pretty "by the book" so not likely to fudge the rules. He and his wife were just asking about how things worked and I didn't have a good answer so I asked here. I'll go ahead and tell the to just buy a few "special" items at cost. (I'm sure they can afford to do so...)

14 hours ago, Kay S said:

Thrak, I don't know if your little girl will be going to the kids' club or not, but it used to be they provided snacks and such for the little kids.  We always loved Princess kids' clubs, and I hope they are still the same after this restart.

I don't know squat about the kids club but am happy to hear that snacks, etc. are part of the deal. Mom, Dad, and Daughter are all lean and fit so "soda" isn't really much of an issue. I think an occasional "wow!" drink like a Virgin Strawberry daiquiri or something of that sort is really all they ought to be looking at.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Thrak said:

Does this mean she has zero perks (I would have expected her to have the package with sodas, mocktails, etc.).

just wanted to say that this package will cost considerably less than Princess Plus. Don't know if the 6 yo needs it, but my 11 yo is thrilled. This is the first year when we purchased a beverage package for him. He put it to a very good use on RCI's Allure, but they do have the freestyle coke machine. He is really looking forward to using it on Enchanted and getting all the mocktails. The Keywest Cooler was the best mocktail we've ever had...

This was one of the reasons we booked Princess Minus, because paying $40 per day for our kid's Princess Plus isn't justified. He doesn't need wifi and he doesn't drink alcohol (being 11).

We don't need any beverage packages, but I bought our kid the Sodas/Mocktails package for about $11/day.

I do believe that at the time of my booking (months ago) the Princess Plus rules said that the extra $40/day applied even to children in the same cabin and would not be prorated even if the child is underage and cannot drink premium beverages.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

18 hours ago, PRINCESS Sweet Pea said:

I am not sure what cruise this is, the old Promo for many 2023 cruises was third passenger free.  That fare seems high for a child in an inside.

it's about what we pay every time - $499 - for the 3rd passenger. KSF didn't apply to any of the cruises we could go on.

18 hours ago, PRINCESS Sweet Pea said:

Thrak, can people still bring some soda/juice/water onboard?  That might cut down on the amount of buying soda onboard.

Good idea. If they allow their 6 yo to have soda (I wouldn't when my kids were small), they can bring soda through security.

There's always all the included drinks...water, OJ in the AM, lemonade, milk, etc.

11 hours ago, john watson said:

I cannot see a six year old ordering independently on the app or calling a drinks waiter over without parents present.

mine walked over to the bar on the pool deck (within sight) and ordered a soda. The barman simply gave it to him for free, probably assuming that the kid has a package. That was on Regal Princess in 2019, on a medallion cruise.

2 hours ago, HaveDogWillTravel said:

Crew will figure out pretty quickly that Parent is ordering and handing it off to Child.

imho, they won't or they won't care even if they do.

44 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Good idea. If they allow their 6 yo to have soda (I wouldn't when my kids were small), they can bring soda through security.

There's always all the included drinks...water, OJ in the AM, lemonade, milk, etc.

I don't know if things have changed, but kids used to be able to get OJ at dinner without the extra cost.  (That whole charging for OJ after breakfast always seemed weird to me.)

• Like 2

Okay... Another question. Since there are 3 of them and they specified an Inside cabin I don't think that's possible without having the extra bed(s) on the walls. When one is in a cabin of this sort (I have avoided them like the plague) and are going to actually use a third bed does this mandate that the "main" bed be setup as two twin beds rather than as a single queen bed? I'm sure I've seen this somewhere on CC but can't find it right off. Is this correct that the "main beds" have to be separated in this sort of cabin when one of the "side beds" is to be utilized?

That is a good question!  I do think that this would have to be mandated if there were 4 in the cabin.  There has to be some safety considerations.  Just wouldn't work otherwise.  But, I think I have heard that people have had the bed set up as one 'queen'.  Maybe that would be a good new thread topic!

And, if each of you could carry a six-pack of soda/juice type drinks onboard, then that would really cover most any drinks for your grand-daughter.  And, they would be handy right there in the fridge for mornings and evenings.  If they are enforcing this, they aren't supposed to allowing plastic drink bottles onboard now.

Because the upper bunk can't be accessed from the ends (no room for a ladder) it must be accessed from the side.  If there is a queen bed below it, the person getting into the bunk needs to climb on the bigger bed.  I have always seen inner cabins with the twin setup when a 3rd (or 4th) bed is required.

• Like 2

@Itchy&Scratchy   What's in a Keywest Cooler?  Do mocktails count  towards the 15 drinks per day?

All I ever thought of were Virgin daiquiris and Pina coladas.  Are there other different mocktails and does anyone have a list?  Thanks very much for the info !  🙂

15 hours ago, Thrak said:

Okay... Another question. Since there are 3 of them and they specified an Inside cabin I don't think that's possible without having the extra bed(s) on the walls. When one is in a cabin of this sort (I have avoided them like the plague) and are going to actually use a third bed does this mandate that the "main" bed be setup as two twin beds rather than as a single queen bed? I'm sure I've seen this somewhere on CC but can't find it right off. Is this correct that the "main beds" have to be separated in this sort of cabin when one of the "side beds" is to be utilized?

no, it's not mandated, but the - we never had a problem with using 2 lower separate twins and 1 upper berth. They can always ask the cabin attendant to move two lower beds together, but it also makes it more difficult for him to make up the upper berth.

25 minutes ago, SAKay said:

@Itchy&Scratchy   What's in a Keywest Cooler?  Do mocktails count  towards the 15 drinks per day?

All I ever thought of were Virgin daiquiris and Pina coladas.  Are there other different mocktails and does anyone have a list?  Thanks very much for the info !  🙂

it's a delicious mocktail - see below. Only alcoholic drinks count towards the limit on a deluxe beverage package.

You can also make the Dirty Banana alcohol-free, and it's like a banana chocolate shake.  I had one with alcohol - it's good if you are not afraid of sugar.

image.jpeg.0f705461b57fdcec614c01401d216236.jpeg

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

The kids also can have juice, milk or chocolate milk served to them in the MDR or buffet.  That said as they got a little older they enjoyed ordering from the bar (they think a viking strawberry margarita is better then a slushy, and Choco Banannas with extra cherries are also a hit)

• Like 1

On the Discovery in Alaska in June the only option for inside bed set up for 3 (one adult and 2 four year old) was twin beds. My daughter (a TA) called Princess before sailing and they said she could just request the change from the room steward. She asked nicely, begged, pleaded to have a queen set up. Room steward insisted he could not do it due to safety regulations. In the end, it worked out fine.There was more room to move around and no one could crawl in bed with her at night. The children both had Princess plus but were never asked for their room number or medallion when ordering drinks, even when they weren't with mom so bartenders would not have been able to see their package. The staff all made special smoothies, mocktails and juice concoctions for them. Once a bartender brought a special juice mix to one granddaughter in the hot tub, unsolicted because he said, "What fun is a hot tub without a drink?'Thrak, we are also in Butte county!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, tutumomickey said:

The children both had Princess plus but were never asked for their room number or medallion when ordering drinks, even when they weren't with mom so bartenders would not have been able to see their package. 

It is shocking how much information staff can pick up these days.  My daughter and I ordered drinks off the waiter, we both had packages.  After a few minutes my drink arrived but not hers.  We waited a while longer as each delivery waiter was different to the ordering waiter and they have tray of a number of different groups that ordered.  So we complained after a short amount of investigation the waiter said the first drink she ordered was delivered to our cabin and my daughter said she had left her medallion in the cabin.  Later on in the cruise waiters asked what we would like to drink and suggested ideas from a list which we had previously ordered during the cruise. Walking past the photo internet place when they were slack staff would shout "Good evening Mr Watson".  Taking my daughter back to the cabin at 5am after the disco packed up helping her to walk because of excess alcohol I am sure they could check we were both from the same cabin and that I hadn't just pulled!

Regards John

Regards John

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tutumomickey said:

The children both had Princess plus but were never asked for their room number or medallion when ordering drinks, even when they weren't with mom so bartenders would not have been able to see their package.

Assuming the children had their Medallions with them, the bartender can see pictures of anyone near the bar and can access info about the person to determine if the person ordering has a package or not. No need to actually present the Medallion if the system is working.

When we booked a few weeks ago with kids sail free, the TA asked if we wanted to have princess premier for all four guests.  It would be the same $75/day per person to add it for guests 3 and 4.  We didn't because it isn't worth it for children.  Honestly if you pass your kids a couple sodas, no one will know as long as you don't do it right at the bar.  However, do make sure to pay the gratuities for guests 3 &4, otherwise the crew will lose out as the prepaid will only be for the first 2 guests.

1 hour ago, malba2366 said:

When we booked a few weeks ago with kids sail free, the TA asked if we wanted to have princess premier for all four guests.  It would be the same $75/day per person to add it for guests 3 and 4.  We didn't because it isn't worth it for children.  Honestly if you pass your kids a couple sodas, no one will know as long as you don't do it right at the bar.  However, do make sure to pay the gratuities for guests 3 &4, otherwise the crew will lose out as the prepaid will only be for the first 2 guests.

The gratuities will still be added onto the bill for 3 and 4 🙂