How can I contact someone at Holland America to discuss compensation for an onboard injury?

dhshultz

How can I contact someone at Holland America to discuss compensation for the broken wrist that my wife suffered on the Oosterdam last month due to HAL’s negligence (baseboard water leak produced a small stream across the smooth stone portion of a hallway)?

A manager on the ship provided a phone number that no longer is in service. An email two weeks ago to an address our travel agent provided (guestrelations@hollandamerica.com) has not been answered. Telephone calls to a number that our travel agent provided (800-599-8256,6) are on hold forever (last time I gave up after more than an hour). So far, our travel agent’s efforts to make contact on our behalf via the Sales department have been fruitless.

Even after the injury, our feelings about HAL generally were positive. We are 3-star Mariners, and we have had Neptune Suites on recent cruises (shipboard personnel have been great). But as every day passes without resolution of this matter, our opinion of HAL diminishes. It will be a loss for everyone if the only way to resolve this matter is to file a lawsuit.

Elliot Advocacy has contacts for higher up personnel.  When one of my concerns went unanswered I emailed the president.  Try Guest Relations again and cc to Gus Antorcha.

guestrelations@hollandamerica.com

Phone: 1‐800‐599‐8256 or 206‐626‐7393

Executive Contacts

Primary Contact
Michael Stendebach
Vice president, food, beverage and guest services
450 Third Avenue West
Seattle, WA 98119
mstendebach@hollandamerica.com

Gustavo Antocha
President, Holland America Line
450 Third Avenue West
Seattle, WA 98119
(206) 281-3535
gantorcha@hollandamerica.com

officeofthepresident@hollandamerica.com

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/holland-america/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

21 minutes ago, dhshultz said:

How can I contact someone at Holland America to discuss compensation for the broken wrist that my wife suffered on the Oosterdam last month due to HAL’s negligence (baseboard water leak produced a small stream across the smooth stone portion of a hallway)?

A manager on the ship provided a phone number that no longer is in service. An email two weeks ago to an address our travel agent provided (guestrelations@hollandamerica.com) has not been answered. Telephone calls to a number that our travel agent provided (800-599-8256,6) are on hold forever (last time I gave up after more than an hour). So far, our travel agent’s efforts to make contact on our behalf via the Sales department have been fruitless.

Even after the injury, our feelings about HAL generally were positive. We are 3-star Mariners, and we have had Neptune Suites on recent cruises (shipboard personnel have been great). But as every day passes without resolution of this matter, our opinion of HAL diminishes. It will be a loss for everyone if the only way to resolve this matter is to file a lawsuit.

Sorry about the injury!

You should probably post this question on the HAL sub-forum for more specific information.

One suggestion:  Do NOT have the start your interaction with HAL include the words "lawsuit", "attorney", or such.  Chances are very good that the instant you raise that, the entire situation will disappear into their legal department, and that may slow things down.  If HAL handles all such messages through Legal, then they'll do that anyway.  Might it might not be necessary.

HAL probably has their own insurance, so minimally, they would probably pass this along to them.  But I'm NOT an expert about any of this!

Good luck, and hope she heals quickly.

I'm recovering from a broken foot, so she has my very sincere sympathy.

(Note:  The spider lost the fight in the end... 😉)

GC

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, dfish said:

Elliot Advocacy has contacts for higher up personnel.  When one of my concerns went unanswered I emailed the president.  Try Guest Relations again and cc to Gus Antorcha.

guestrelations@hollandamerica.com

Phone: 1‐800‐599‐8256 or 206‐626‐7393

Executive Contacts

Primary Contact
Michael Stendebach
Vice president, food, beverage and guest services
450 Third Avenue West
Seattle, WA 98119
mstendebach@hollandamerica.com

Gustavo Antocha
President, Holland America Line
450 Third Avenue West
Seattle, WA 98119
(206) 281-3535
gantorcha@hollandamerica.com

officeofthepresident@hollandamerica.com

https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/holland-america/

Yep, go right to the top.  This has worked for me with another cruise line.  I also mentioned that I worked for a Fortune 500 company as assistant to the CEO where no complaint (no matter how small) did not go without attention from that office!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

I am surprised  that the ship GM did not provide you with  the necessary paperwork to get compensation

Assuming that the OP's wife was assisted by the Medical Department on the Oosterdam, that type of documentation would be provided by the medical staff.  When I have had a medical claim to be filed with my travel insurance, that's where I received my documents.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

Assuming that the OP's wife was assisted by the Medical Department on the Oosterdam, that type of documentation would be provided by the medical staff.  When I have had a medical claim to be filed with my travel insurance, that's where I received my documents.  

Of course they would get the medical report  

I did say the GM  General Manager

If HAL  assumed responsibility for the accident  you would think the pax would be compensated  

The Captain or GM can advise  HQ

Not sure how HAL acts under these circumstances

JMO

Since all travel providers are providing little customer service these days, I think you need to get your case in writing and 'on the record'.   Settling this claim will take forever ... if a cruise line can't even answer the phone, how can you expect any action?  So write a concise, polite letter explaining what happened, just the facts, no blame, no anger, and tell them that you are requesting a claim form.  Seek out the contact information for someone at HA that you can communicate with.  Your travel agent should be able to lean on the HA rep ... if your agent isn't coming through, contact the owner of the agency.  You might use social media to get started, I've heard that is often quite effective. 

• Like 1

Didn't both the medical center and guest relations provide you with the information on how to proceed with any additional costs not covered by your health insurance (although I would be surprised if the onboard care was not provided free of charge by the ship)?

Or are you looking for additional money for "pain and suffering?"

You may also wish to read the Cruise Contract in its entirety for information on medical treatment, liability and law suits.  It is on the website and it was also provided to you in the cruise documents. You needed to click that you read and understood the contract before receiving the cruise documents. 

• Like 2

@dhshultz, good luck with reaching the correct department and person that can assist you. Above all, I hope your wife is coping with her injury and not in pain. 

You’ve been given some good leads and suggestions on this thread. Cruise Critic is a great resource, and as a regular cruiser, I hope you’ll stick around after this particular issue is resolved and continue to enjoy this great community. 

With 39 years in the customer service and resolution industry, I’d caution you to keep your emotion in check when dealing with this issue. I say that based on your mention of “negligence of Holland America” in your comments. Try to keep your correspondence (written or verbal) strictly business.

Good luck and please keep us posted! 👍

Edited by BEAV
  • Like 7

59 minutes ago, BEAV said:

@dhshultz, good luck with reaching the correct department and person that can assist you. Above all, I hope your wife is coping with her injury and not in pain. 

You’ve been given some good leads and suggestions on this thread. Cruise Critic is a great resource, and as a regular cruiser, I hope you’ll stick around after this particular issue is resolved and continue to enjoy this great community. 

With 39 years in the customer service and resolution industry, I’d caution you to keep your emotion in check when dealing with this issue. I say that based on your mention of “negligence of Holland America” in your comments. Try to keep your correspondence (written or verbal) strictly business.

Good luck and please keep us posted! 👍

Yep making a claim about damages is one thing.  Using the term negligence (legal term) is likely to get the claim sent directly to the legal department.

Better to document and define actual damages (including those caused by loss of use during the period of injury) and submit the claim.

I suggest that in your emails and discussion with the cruise line staff you not use the word "negligence"  as I agree that this will probably get your issue sent to legal.  The alternative is to say that your wife slipped on some water in the hallway on the named ship with the date,  which caused her to have a broken arm, and you would like reimbursement for the out of pocket medical expenses she has incurred both on the ship and 'off the ship'.  Then submit the bills.  I am assuming that you had no travel insurance since if you did this would cover your medical costs.  If you want reimbursement for more than out of pocket medical expenses you will need an attorney in the Washington state area as set forth in the cruise contract, and note the notice requirements and time to bring this lawsuit is fairly short for personal injury cases.  Also I am pretty sure that if you are given any monies from Holland America they will ask you to waive any and all other rights for additional damages and accept these monies as full settlement of your claim.  

• Like 5

Do you have outstanding medical bills that insurance did not cover?  If so, I would think HAL would help with that.....Regarding more money than that, I'm not sure how extracting money from HAL will help with the recovery and treatment of the broken wrist. 

Speaking from experience, having broken my knee cap on a cruise ship, your best bet is a maritime lawyer from the country the cruise line is registered in…

my lawyer was able to get minimum compensation, as the cruise lines have so many disclaimers and loop holes, and this was over 10 years ago…with Covid today, I am sure it’s even tougher.

Wish you and your wife the best

On 9/15/2022 at 10:46 AM, Floyd and elayne said:

Speaking from experience, having broken my knee cap on a cruise ship, your best bet is a maritime lawyer from the country the cruise line is registered in…

my lawyer was able to get minimum compensation, as the cruise lines have so many disclaimers and loop holes, and this was over 10 years ago…with Covid today, I am sure it’s even tougher.

Wish you and your wife the best

This is the best advice.  Unfortunately you will likely not get anywhere (except frustrated) without the services of an attorney.  

The security officer (SECO) onboard Oosterdam will have documented the accident involving your spouse (all the best to her for a speedy recovery), more than likely with photographs of the accident scene. This documentation with pics will have been endorsed in the appropriate signature blocks on said report by the captain, staff captain, hotel general manager, and senior (passenger) physician, and then would have been sent straight to HAL's risk management division in Seattle via electronic mail (after having been scanned by the SECO). Medical onboard Oosterdam will have prepared their own documentation, incl. the form you (or your spouse) prepared on her initial visit to medical.

Accident reports are classified as controlled documents. Like other posters have already stated, if you (the OP) start off with using the terms "HAL's negligence" in your future contacts with HAL, the matter will surely, and I'm not calling you Shirley, wind up in the legal dept. in the emerald city

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 9