Quantum & Ovation Plus - 30 Day Live (hopefully)

Speaking of fewer pins, Coastal Kitchen has been a little more crowded than it was in Quantum last week, but still not full.  We eat at 6:00 so maybe it gets full later??  Guessing that small crowds for both weeks were due to small numbers of Pins onboard. There’s a lot more space available than can be filled with suite guests. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Less pins than I expected. 

Only 46 on our Symphony sailing. I thought it would be more. Had some nice conversations with a couple in the Schooner Bar. I like the fact that they wear their pins. I like to talk to them.

10 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

We gained and an hour last night.  That will happen 2 more times over the next few days. I like this occasional extra hour of sleep, and the fact that we’ll have no jet lag when we get to Hawaii. 

That sounds great.   This why I want to try a TA.  I have been thinking we wouldn't have to deal with jet lag if we cruised back to the states.

34 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Nice Bills win today. I love watching Josh Allen play. So far Chiefs and Mahomes are taking it to Tom. I think Patrick wants to prove a point.

Great come from behind win for bills , first half was scary, perfect day for me as soon as Bills game ended I hosted my monthly poker game and won several hundred 😁😁. We are about 7 weeks to go for our beyond cruise on Celebrity. KC looks tough I would bet they will met in playoffs again. 

2 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Thanks for correction. Micheline actually told me that a few months ago. Maybe she’s right…maybe I don’t listen. 😳. Whitney’s version is obviously famous from The Bodyguard. As Micheline also told me, Dolly has written and produced a lot of songs that other singers have made famous. She’s a lot more than a singing legend. 

My favorite rendition is still Dolly's that she sang in "Best Little Whorehouse in Texas" .. Love that movie. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Nice Bills win today. I love watching Josh Allen play. So far Chiefs and Mahomes are taking it to Tom. I think Patrick wants to prove a point.

I agree about Mahomes. He made some ridiculous plays. Almost like he was saying “I was here before Josh Allen and I’m still here”. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, George C said:

Great come from behind win for bills , first half was scary, perfect day for me as soon as Bills game ended I hosted my monthly poker game and won several hundred 😁😁. We are about 7 weeks to go for our beyond cruise on Celebrity. KC looks tough I would bet they will met in playoffs again. 

Have to admit that I stopped watching and went to the Top Tier Event when they were down 20-3 in the second. Couldn’t take anymore. I peaked at my phone to see them score before the half and then watched the second half in the pub. Lots of Bills fans there. Maybe some were just Steelers fans cheering for the Ravens lose. 😁

• Like 1

We’ve been overindulging in both food and drink the last couple of days so we decided to go easy tonight. We skipped dressing for formal night and decided to lightly graze in the WJ. We were far from alone. We then watched a few songs from Switched On Band before heading to the theater for the Live. Love. Legs. production show.

I wasn’t sure about the first few numbers but it grew on us. The cast has some great singers and dancers, especially the male dancers. The women wore a lot of Vegas showgirl outfits with high heals, feathers, and headdresses, so it was hard for them to do much dancing. The had a very cool number with two guys dancing behind a scrim with projected images. As the threw their arms or kicked their legs, images would fly across the scrim, pixels would sometimes fly and come together to form a virtual dancer between them. Very creative. 

We traded in 6 unused D+ vouchers for bottles of water. Early night tonight. See you tomorrow. 

Edited by bobmacliberty
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Anyone know what this is?  Thinking maybe a penguin??

ABE38018-174B-4AF2-A065-6A32F4190B87.thumb.jpeg.9a5f85461ed7d0ebf893ac97ce553efb.jpeg

I see a Penguin too.  Most likely an Emperor Penguin although I see hints of Galapagos Penguin, which would make sense as it's the only Penguin species north of the equator.

*** Yes, I googled types of Penguins. 🙂

• Haha 5

Good morning from the Pacific Ocean…somewhere more southwest than yesterday. Google Maps says we are here. 

34EE5CDC-AB75-40FA-9832-5B181A5F31E2.thumb.jpeg.eb15a676c7a721ce6b5c9677e6d3d30b.jpeg

Still a ways to go. Not sure what we’ll do today. There’s a seminar on Hawaiian volcanoes that looks interesting. Or maybe we’ll play Bingo.  Believe it or not, we’ve never done that on a cruise ship. 

More to come…

• Like 5

15 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

As Micheline also told me, Dolly has written and produced a lot of songs that other singers have made famous. She’s a lot more than a singing legend. 

A fact I haven't googled but I heard that Dolly has written more than 3,000+ songs, including many commercial jingles.  I'm guessing that she probably wrote more songs for others than she sang herself. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

Spooky. Need the sun to come up a little more and burn this off. 

AC9CE4D0-4B73-426C-A1B2-05965860BD3D.thumb.jpeg.c3f34b8baa95bac56a2e13a92e9294e4.jpeg

A006E359-BA9F-4DD5-90CF-07CCB0C92A61.thumb.jpeg.6354ffb08679bccdb9f333fde23b2722.jpeg

It does look a bit spooky.  Like a scary dream from a movie.  Even at that I wouldn't mind being there with you enjoying a cruise to Hawaii.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bobmacliberty said:

Spooky. Need the sun to come up a little more and burn this off. 

A006E359-BA9F-4DD5-90CF-07CCB0C92A61.thumb.jpeg.6354ffb08679bccdb9f333fde23b2722.jpeg

Glad to see you got one of the high balcony tables.  

Guess they do not have enough for all the suites as we had a low one on our B2B. 

3 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

Glad to see you got one of the high balcony tables.  

Guess they do not have enough for all the suites as we had a low one on our B2B. 

I forgot about that. We haven’t used ours yet. Once the weather warms up a bit more, we may do room service out there. 

• Like 1

We were sitting in our room reading. 
Me to Micheline:  I’m going to run down to the pub to get a draft beer. Want anything?

Micheline:  Yes. Please get me a Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc. 

I hop on the elevator down to deck 4 and fight the Esplanade crowd to get to the pub, which is packed for Karaoke. I wiggle my way to the bar. 

Me: What kind of beer do you have on tap?

Bartender:  I’m sorry sir but our beer taps are not working someone is fixing them now. 

Me:  How long will that take?

Bartender:  I don’t know sir. 

Me: Is there anywhere else on the ship with draft beer?

Bartender: No sir there isn’t. 

Me: Sigh. OK. I’ll have a Stone IPA and a Kim Crawford SB

Bartender disappears for 30 seconds and reappears with a bottle of Robert Mondavi SB: Is this OK?

Me: You don’t have any Kim Crawford?

Bartender: No sir. 

Me: Sigh. OK, then I guess it’s the Robert Mondavi. 

Every bar has been a crap shoot as to what it has and doesn’t have. We can find just about everything somewhere, but often in only one place. Flexibility with what we want is key. 

• Like 7

On 9/30/2022 at 3:53 PM, Ozark_Kid said:

Since the start up we did a couple GS and went back to OVB on Ovation.   It was hard going back.  

North Star was down in May.  I haven't heard if they ever got it going again. 

We were on Ovation in August and it was working fine.

On 10/1/2022 at 11:20 AM, bobmacliberty said:

While I have a few minutes, let’s get caught up from yesterday. Sail away from Vancouver was great. I previously posted the video going under the bridge but the views in all directions were spectacular. Beautiful city skyline looking one way, gorgeous mountains looking another way.

Royal had a nice Diamond and up sail away celebration in the Solarium. They had a nice selection of hors d’oeuvres and waiters roaming around with trays of drinks. We met several officers who were there and also roaming around, introducing themselves. With the nice views out of the Solarium windows, it was a very enjoyable event. 

The ship initially started sailing NW toward the Strait of Georgia. For a minute, I thought we might sail around Vancouver Island. That didn’t make much sense and before long, we turned back south again. Since we could have floated to Seattle and still be on time, I think the Captain was just giving everyone a great view of the mountains. 

Dinner was in Coastal Kitchen. Service wasn’t very good. We waited 5 minutes and no one approached our table. I almost literally grabbed a waiter who was walking by and asked if we could get water and a waiter. He said yes and then disappeared. Five more minutes passed and still no one. I was ready to walk up to the manager when a waiter finally appeared. Drinks took another 10 minutes from there. Food was good…I had the crab and shrimp crusted pollock…but we were pretty full from the sail away celebration. I’ll write the service issues off as typical first night problems. I’m sure things will be better going forward. 

Back in our cabin, I noticed a nice sunset outside with a crescent moon off to the side. 

381726CA-DFA4-43F9-887B-12D4E7B34116.thumb.jpeg.94437b9c8d40ccf31c3ad7ac48e2b203.jpeg

B970AC53-BAD4-4556-9EB2-47B86806FFA6.thumb.jpeg.227252444492b383506868b787fce4fa.jpeg

I went about my business getting ready for the evening and about 15 minutes later noticed that the sunset was now a bright orange, maybe the most orange sunset that I’ve seen. Beautiful. 

B3FF4B56-C261-4C2F-9FF2-931BB432776D.thumb.jpeg.c3e988cca364c77e344d935263338e0c.jpeg

4D8A97C1-D2C5-4E4A-9C6F-4269F8C353D4.thumb.jpeg.7b876a8a61c7a669101720b8fa8fddde.jpeg

I have travelled all over Canada and the United States and still feel like my old home, Vancouver, is the most beautiful and picturesque city in all on North America. I'll admit to a little bias but I stand by my opinion. 🙂 

On 10/1/2022 at 4:12 PM, Ozark_Kid said:

That is a good voice.   270 is a favorite place for us.  You might want to try the 270 Breakfast or lunch.   We got to watch them practice for an evening show while eating. 

Converted the video. 

I enjoyed them a lot on our Alaska cruise as well.  I think I caught them 4 or 5 times. That lead singer really brought the fire.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bobmacliberty said:

We were sitting in our room reading. 
Me to Micheline:  I’m going to run down to the pub to get a draft beer. Want anything?

Micheline:  Yes. Please get me a Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc. 

I hop on the elevator down to deck 4 and fight the Esplanade crowd to get to the pub, which is packed for Karaoke. I wiggle my way to the bar. 

Me: What kind of beer do you have on tap?

Bartender:  I’m sorry sir but our beer taps are not working someone is fixing them now. 

Me:  How long will that take?

Bartender:  I don’t know sir. 

Me: Is there anywhere else on the ship with draft beer?

Bartender: No sir there isn’t. 

Me: Sigh. OK. I’ll have a Stone IPA and a Kim Crawford SB

Bartender disappears for 30 seconds and reappears with a bottle of Robert Mondavi SB: Is this OK?

Me: You don’t have any Kim Crawford?

Bartender: No sir. 

Me: Sigh. OK, then I guess it’s the Robert Mondavi. 

Every bar has been a crap shoot as to what it has and doesn’t have. We can find just about everything somewhere, but often in only one place. Flexibility with what we want is key. 

and how many days before the next stop?