Cancelation - death in the family

Riemercruisin

I know I should call Carnival for this, but I'm looking for personal experience. 

We are 3 couples cruising this coming weekend. One of the couples lost their baby grandson yesterday and don't have insurance. 

Will Carnival offer them a credit or will they lose all their money?

8 minutes ago, Riemercruisin said:

I know I should call Carnival for this, but I'm looking for personal experience. 

We are 3 couples cruising this coming weekend. One of the couples lost their baby grandson yesterday and don't have insurance. 

Will Carnival offer them a credit or will they lose all their money?

They may offer FCC as a goodwill gesture but are not required to.  Carnival is consistently inconsistent; anyone's reply with their own anecdotal experience is no indication of what Carnival will do in this case.

So they really need to call Carnival themselves, the sooner the better (under the circumstances, of course) so that if internal approval is required there's time for that to happen, vs. being considered a no-show.

• Like 8

I'll be the bad guy here.

I truly feel sympathy and my heart goes out to the family of the recently departed.

However, no insurance? No empathy from me. Insurance is to protect you from the "Unknown" life events. You are given a choice no matter who or where you book the cruise. Do you choose to self-insure? Do you choose to share partial risk? Do you choose to fully insure your risk of loss? 

They chose to self-insure. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

This close to sailing your only option is to call Carnival and ask. I really doubt you'll get a refund, but they may be willing to give at least a partial future cruise credit in exchange. But being so close to the cruise it's hard to say.

Not to pile on but travel insurance isn't just for a delayed flight or lost luggage. It would have made a difference in this case as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh wow, so sorry for their loss.  Yes, call Carnival as soon as possible.  I have had good luck getting my reservations changed in the past, but I have never tried that close to the cruise date.  Sorry, I guess I'm not much help.

Is there any chance their credit card company offers any type of insurance/benefit?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Riemercruisin said:

Update - Carnival gave them a full refund (taxes and fees refunded as cash, cruise fare as future cruise credit. )

Thanks for the answers.

They really stepped up.  With so many complaints it's good to hear this but of course heartbreaking for reason behind it.  Sincere sympathy to your friends.  I have 8 grands.  I can't even imagine.....

• Like 1

With no insurance, then they are at the mercy of Carnival. Carnival will most likely give FCC for the fare. Getting back the taxes and port fees may be another issue. As for insurance, this one is a lot more difficult. My sister and her husband went through it. Insurance, read that small print for the exclusions, is for anyone that can be proven to be a full time resident in the home. It does not extend to family living outside the home. It took 3 years of fighting back and forth. The state Insurance Commissioner was the one that finally made the strongest threat to have them cover the cruise fare, but that was it. Flights were not, taxes, fees, etc were not. It is crazy that you need an attorney to understand all the inclusions, exclusions, criteria to be met, and everything else for a claim not to be denied.

8 hours ago, klfrodo said:

Note to self:

stop spending money on cancellation insurance

I'm glad that it worked out for the OP's family but I wouldn't count on the same thing happening so I will continue to buy it (not to mention all of the other things that insurance covers). (I realize that you probably made your comment tongue in cheek but there are many who would read the comment and agree with it.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

I'm glad that it worked out for the OP's family but I wouldn't count on the same thing happening so I will continue to buy it (not to mention all of the other things that insurance covers). (I realize that you probably made your comment tongue in cheek but there are many who would read the comment and agree with it.)

Bingo

• Like 3