"Old School" Cruise Card

Sunset329

37 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

I often wonder how many of those people that don't want to be tracked use credit cards, android auto/apple carplay, have an email and bank online.  Yet they get on a Princess ship and have a fear that Princess will know how much they spend & where they sit at the pool. LOL 😄

I also wonder what they are hiding from. Are they an escaped convict? Or a cheating spouse on a cruise with a lover? Or a tax evader? The paranoia of some is quite interesting to observe.

I gave up years ago from trying to evade tracking. Anyone living in the 21st century cannot avoid it unless they have lived only in a cave for their entire lives. Best to live a life that doesn't include something bad that is at risk of being revealed. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

I like the Medallion, but I also don't like wearing it around my neck.  I carry a wristlet around and I just keep it in there with my phone (camera) and my lipstick, etc.  You know, the essentials 😉

As you know there are loads of options from wristbands, jewelry to pins that clip on and even watch band attachments. 

There's something for everyone including having you spouse carry it for you. 

I personally enjoy the features it provides like opening my door from 2 cabins away, having drinks delivered and finding my husband any where he decides to go during the day. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rhblake said:

Just got off the Enchanted on Saturday and do not believe there is any way to open the stateroom door without the medallion. I saw no place/no where to use a non electronic devise to open the door.

It is a contactless card read. Just put the card near the RFID sign on the door lock. This is no different than the old locks.

16 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

Don, demand that a cabin steward be assigned to your door full time for the cruise, to open it for you.  Your doorperson can use either a Medallion or a traditional door card.

Do I tip him by the day or each time he opens the door for me.  LOL!!

DON

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

If I use a VPN would that stop them from tracking me.  I don't know and am just wondering?

DON

The tracking is done through the cell towers at a minimum. Some apps use location data (Google maps for example). For Google maps, they also get much more information from you like speed. This is how they do the traffic overlays. So no, a VPN will not stop them.

32 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

I thought that went away with film cameras. 

I still own several film cameras and lenses.  I haven't tried to buy any film for them in years, and I don't know if anyone still processes film.  Now I am curious!  (Google shows 35 mm film still being sold.)

• Haha 1

On 9/20/2022 at 1:33 PM, riffatsea said:

My husband just keeps the medallion in his pocket

He doesn't like to wear things on his neck or his wrist

I just wear it around my neck

Not sure how it would be easier to lose than an old fashioned key card?

The old key card was carried in my wallet or wherever I carried my credit card.  In other words, a secure place.  I haven't used  a medallion yet.  First time will be next week.  I'm thinking it is a lot thicker than a credit card.  

7 minutes ago, ldubs said:

The old key card was carried in my wallet or wherever I carried my credit card.  In other words, a secure place.  I haven't used  a medallion yet.  First time will be next week.  I'm thinking it is a lot thicker than a credit card.  

I can’t imagine carrying a credit card around on a ship. Only take it out of the safe when going ashore

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, memoak said:

I can’t imagine carrying a credit card around on a ship. Only take it out of the safe when going ashore

I may be missing something.  Do we not take the medallions ashore?  

I carry a wallet in my pocket on board.  I carry a secure wallet ashore.  I realize I don't need to carry it onboard.  I just find it routine.   

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

We don't carry wallets around on board the ship

They go into the room safe until we leave

There is no need for a credit card once you are on board

Yes, I understand that.  It is just my preference/habit.  I did not think it noteworthy beyond my responding to a previous question about why I might likely lose a medallion before I lost one of the old cards. 

To be honest, I don't know the dimensions of these medallions.  I'll find out next week.   I'm seldom without pockets so expect I will survive.   

BTW, are the medallions waterproof?   Just curious.    

Idubs, the Medallion is waterproof.

Approx. 1 3/8 inch diameter (round), about 3/8 inch thick.  I do not have my micrometer at office, and my Medallions are still in the plastic case that Princess provided.  That case is rectangular, a little over 2" by 2 3/4".

If you are using the lanyard, the plastic case has the hole to connect to the lanyard.  

• Thanks 1