Do they still give out meclazine (bonine) at Guest Relations?

Alakegirl

22 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

unless they run out. 

Which is why you really should bring your own if you're going to pay money to go on a vacation that you know will make you sick. (I don't get it. I LOVE cruising, but if it made me sick, I'd find other vacation options rather than put chemicals into my body just so I could cruise. I'm clearly weird in that though given the number of people who know they get seasick and cruise anyway.)

1 hour ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Which is why you really should bring your own if you're going to pay money to go on a vacation that you know will make you sick. (I don't get it. I LOVE cruising, but if it made me sick, I'd find other vacation options rather than put chemicals into my body just so I could cruise. I'm clearly weird in that though given the number of people who know they get seasick and cruise anyway.)

Kind of like those folks who take allergy meds every day in order to keep the cat.

• Haha 1

In the North Atlantic on our recent cruise, the motion of the ocean around Day 9-10 got to my wife even though she'd never been seasick before.

I'd brought along those acupuncture-wristbands despite her insisting she'd "never need them or wear them" (and calling me a nerd for even buying them). Unfortunately, they didn't help her so I sought out some meds onboard and received meclazine packets, which helped her within six-ish hours.

On our next cruise, I won't bother with the wristbands and will just bring our own meds. Hopefully, she won't need them again!

cjr

Edited by CNSfromHI
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, baggal said:

I didn't know that but I just checked and they sell them on Amazon.

You cannot buy Bonine or the generic brands on Amazon in Canada.

22 hours ago, calicakes said:

They can get Gravol.  Its a somewhat close equivalent. 

No, it is not. Same family, but different drug with different dosage and different side effects.

I live in Canada and know well the difficulty of getting Meclizine. However we fly into our embarkation  ports early, and when in the States our first stop after getting to our hotel is a pharmacy where I can stock up on sufficient doses to last for a few cruises. Or if I have a friend going to the States I have them pick some up for me.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, calicakes said:

They can get Gravol.  Its a somewhat close equivalent. 

Respectfully no it's not.  One difference speaking from my experience is Gravol makes me more drowsy.  Jim is correct in saying we cannot get in Canada branded or in generic form from a pharmacy anymore, this stopped many years back.  I therefore stock up whenever I can when I travel to the US.

Edited by poffles

6 hours ago, susanpc said:

Where didmyou find them?  They are no longer available in Canada

5 hours ago, calicakes said:

I'm in the states, I got a prescription for them.  Its called Scopolamine patch. 

Can get from prescription in Canada too.  A friend got one to try on her next cruise.  Tranderm patch is what she got.

10 minutes ago, poffles said:

Can get from prescription in Canada too.  A friend got one to try on her next cruise.  Tranderm patch is what she got.

Many use the patch and swear by them.   Early when I had a problemsI tried them once.   They really dehydrated me and made me loopy, I had to rip it off after about 8 hour and throw it away.

6 hours ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Yes I would call that weird.  I am subject to seasickness and have sailed on 70+ cruises. I should give up my favorite vacation because sometimes I need to take a harmless pill? Not gonna happen.