Booking entertainment on board is now permanent

As we continue to shape the future of cruising, a few experiences may look a bit different to some of your clients. With this, we will no longer be accepting pre-bookings for onboard entertainment. All guests who would like to attend our entertainment onboard must book these at the Box Office or on the App once onboard.
spacer.gif
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 7

5 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:
As we continue to shape the future of cruising, a few experiences may look a bit different to some of your clients. With this, we will no longer be accepting pre-bookings for onboard entertainment. All guests who would like to attend our entertainment onboard must book these at the Box Office or on the App once onboard.
spacer.gif

Curious how this affects those in suites and having the concierge email you the schedule ahead of time and asking what you'd like reserved.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rockmom said:

Curious how this affects those in suites and having the concierge email you the schedule ahead of time and asking what you'd like reserved.  

I hope they return to having reserved seats for suites without doing anything, last cruise  we just asked about first couple of nights for specialty restaurants then had concierge book our shows as soon as we boarded.

2 hours ago, rockmom said:

I had a feeling this would become permanent.  I didn’t realize the concierge could book your shows ahead of the cruise.  I had heard they could book your speciality restaurants.

2 hours ago, rockmom said:

We were able to have the Suite Concierge book our reservations for us prior to boarding on our last cruise in August.  This is the same as it was pre-COVID so I do not anticipate that changing. 

2 hours ago, ChC said:

Oh dear, I can see charging for shows is coming. Reserve in the app or box office for free now, charge $1 tomorrow and eventually be $20 per show in 3 months time.

if they go that route, they may as well convert the theatre into additional staterooms. I’ve never been in a theatre show that was busy. Add a charge and they could hold it in the space that Johnny Rockets takes up. 

1 minute ago, ChC said:

Except it is already done in cruise industry and very successfully in RCL's competitors. It may not be for every show and every ship. Certain shows and certain ship can certainly 'trial' especially on the new mega ships.

Since shows on the ship is a pure cost center (some of the entertainment cost is recuperated by Bingo card sells), with the higher cost in every aspects due to high inflation, cruise companies have no choice but to try to squeeze a little extra revenue from things it had not charged yet (the other choice is to reduce shows investment [hire less professional staff with lower cost or reduce cost on costumes stage sets...etc.] or cancel certain high cost shows, which would lead to quality decline). Since RCL is in the mass market segment, pricing is key, I would not be surprised at all if it starts to charge for certain shows from 2023 winter season in order to keep the cruise fares stable.

I disagree.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, ChC said:

Except it is already done in cruise industry and very successfully in RCL's competitors. It may not be for every show and every ship. Certain shows and certain ship can certainly 'trial' especially on the new mega ships.

Since shows on the ship is a pure cost center (some of the entertainment cost is recuperated by Bingo card sells), with the higher cost in every aspects due to high inflation, cruise companies have no choice but to try to squeeze a little extra revenue from things it had not charged yet (the other choice is to reduce shows investment [hire less professional staff with lower cost or reduce cost on costumes stage sets...etc.] or cancel certain high cost shows, which would lead to quality decline). Since RCL is in the mass market segment, pricing is key, I would not be surprised at all if it starts to charge for certain shows from 2023 winter season in order to keep the cruise fares stable.

Why don’t we quit playing “cruise line executive” and just enjoy cruising again

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, ChC said:

My feeling is that when they first started allowing reservations to be made ahead of time that would have been the ideal time to segue into charging a fee unlike now when they are changing it so that reservations are only able to be made on board.  I guess we shall agree to disagree.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Billy Baltic said:

if they go that route, they may as well convert the theatre into additional staterooms. I’ve never been in a theatre show that was busy. Add a charge and they could hold it in the space that Johnny Rockets takes up. 

Weird. I've been in a number of shows which are standing room only and you can't see much if not on time. It's quite common.

6 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

Weird. I've been in a number of shows which are standing room only and you can't see much if not on time. It's quite common.

I'm not sure I've ever been to a show that was more than 50% full. Different ships, different times of the year, maybe?

Edited by cruiseguy1016

1 hour ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

I'm not sure I've ever been to a show that was more than 50% full. Different ships, different times of the year, maybe?

ive been on ncl. royal and princess. just last week princess packed every show i was at . full 10 min before show. no reservations required. ncl shows like burn the floor and the rock of ages were full when i saw them. i forget the more recent shows on getaway but definitely more than 50% .  did oasis 2x in the past year ..oct and may. not packed but way more than 50% full. of course aqua 80 is always full. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Personally I don’t like this.  I’d prefer to book shows and dining pre cruise.  Once I get on board I’d prefer to relax

Agree!  I'm definitely an organized logistical person and prefer to book dinner and shows while I'm relaxing at home or pass time while watching sports in TV.

When I board the ship just want to relax, go to my cabin once open and hang my dressy clothes, put my packing cubes & toiletries away, read my CAS mail & invites, then explore the ship. 

I try to avoid long lines and folks already complaining about something the minute they board!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

This will depend on the ship and the show.  No changes from how things have been handled since the restart after the Covid shutdown.

On symphony for Hiro they had two lines one for reservations and one for not. They would only let those without reservations in about 10 minutes before showtime if there was available seating.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, CRUISEFOUR said:

I am wondering what time on turn around day of a B2B one can start making reservations for shows. 

They usually don't start putting staff in place at the kiosks until ~15 minutes before general boarding begins, and we usually are back on board prior to that.

The app doesn't go live either until general boarding begins.

Edited by orville99

I've seen packed theaters / standing room only and I've seen half full theaters.  It depends on the show / sailing.  My experience is the 3/4 night sailings, people are more interested in drinking / gambling than seeing a show.  Longer itineraries are more relaxed and more people will go to the theater.  As for charging per show - I don't think they will.  They can't advertise "all entertainment is included" if they do.  Now they could raise the cruise fare by a couple of dollars per Pax and could cover costs and I doubt most people would even notice.

As for booking shows in advance - it's good and bad.  We have had multiple shows rescheduled up to a day before they are supposed to happen.  I'd hate to pre-book a show on day 6 only to find out when walking into the show that the schedule changed and it was moved to day 4.  In this case, I'm for booking shows once I get on the ship's wifi (just get a seat in the terminal as close to the ship as you can).