personal docs

xray0111

8 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Passport 

period 

Yes, for Cruise and Customs purposes.

However, I do bring along a Credit Card, or two and my Military ID with Medicare Card.  

The rest I leave in the car in the parking lot, locked in a separate lock box attached to the cars seat attachments with aircraft grade cable/2nd Amendment box.  I try to take as little as possible when cruising. I hate full pockets. 

• Like 1

I've never cruise with my BC.  Hell, I don't even know where it is, I shouldn't have a hard time finding it, it's a stone tablet after all.  A Passport is all we need, post COVID, unless you are traveling to a location that requires a visa, I don't think any country in the Caribbean requires one for entry. 

I have my passport with me on embarkation and on all ventures into Ports of Call.  I have it on a lanyard, in foreign countries (inside a baggie, inside a case) around my neck and tucked inside my shirt/t-shirt.  I guard my passport like my life depended on it. I would never travel anywhere outside the U.S. without my passport.  It's the gold standard for "stand alone" identification and verification of citizenship.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

Besides the obvious, passport etc. bring more than one credit card.  I've heard horror stories about the CC company freezing a card due to suspected fraud.  You don't want to be left without a card.  Also, if you purchased trip insurance bring a hard copy or have it electronically accessible. 

We always bring 2 CC’s with us.  We did have our main CC frozen after arriving in San Juan.  I was so thankful that we had an additional card.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tlbecker1 said:

We always bring 2 CC’s with us.  We did have our main CC frozen after arriving in San Juan.  I was so thankful that we had an additional card.

That's a good point.  I have my AMEX and wife has hers (separate accounts) plus I have a corporate AMEX card and a debit card.  I travel and spend so much on AMEX, I've never had them freeze my card, but I have had fraud issues where they needed to cancel and issue a new card, so that's a consideration.  

12 hours ago, Ret MP said:

I've never cruise with my BC.  Hell, I don't even know where it is, I shouldn't have a hard time finding it, it's a stone tablet after all.  A Passport is all we need, post COVID, unless you are traveling to a location that requires a visa, I don't think any country in the Caribbean requires one for entry. 

I have my passport with me on embarkation and on all ventures into Ports of Call.  I have it on a lanyard, in foreign countries (inside a baggie, inside a case) around my neck and tucked inside my shirt/t-shirt.  I guard my passport like my life depended on it. I would never travel anywhere outside the U.S. without my passport.  It's the gold standard for "stand alone" identification and verification of citizenship.

Well, as I said above, we drive to the port, so a driver's license is essential to us.  We don't bring our whole wallets (for example, I don't need my local sandwich shop's 10-punches-to-a-free sandwich card), so we transfer our necessaries into a travel wallet -- and my husband carries it much as you do. 

The NC DMV won't accept a passport as identification.  I witnessed a major blow-out over it once.  

Your real "gold standard" is your birth certificate.  I'm not saying it's superior /inferior for travel, but literally every American has one, and it never expires.  

2 hours ago, Tlbecker1 said:

Yes, something similar happened to us once.  I was able to clear it up in minutes -- but I had good cell phone service, and I wasn't pushed for time.  If it were to happen again, circumstances might not be so fortunate.  

We do have a secondary credit card, AND we always have enough cash with us to take a taxi or buy a meal.  

1 minute ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Well, as I said above, we drive to the port, so a driver's license is essential to us.  We don't bring our whole wallets (for example, I don't need my local sandwich shop's 10-punches-to-a-free sandwich card), so we transfer our necessaries into a travel wallet -- and my husband carries it much as you do.  

But what if you were in port and they had one of those same sandwich shops?  You'd miss a punch!  😜 But seriously, I'm the same - I take all unnecessary things out of my wallet as does my wife.  In fact, she swaps out that luggage she calls a purse for an actual purse-sized purse.  

1 minute ago, Mum2Mercury said:

The NC DMV won't accept a passport as identification.  I witnessed a major blow-out over it once.  

I guess if whatever transaction your are doing required a NC DL (like renewing a license, registering a car, etc.) then that makes sense, but if it's just general ID needed, they should accept a passport, such as ID to show if you lost your DL and are getting a replacement.  If they refuse to accept a US passport as general ID in a situation like that, there are some channels you can go through at the federal level that will result in someone at the DMV getting a nasty phone call with the threat of losing some federal funding.  

10 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Saw it myself.  Trust me -- the whole county heard that fight!  They DID NOT accept a passport as identification.  Since it wasn't me personally involved, I don't know what happened in the aftermath.  

7 minutes ago, rudeney said:

But what if you were in port and they had one of those same sandwich shops?  You'd miss a punch!  😜 But seriously, I'm the same - I take all unnecessary things out of my wallet as does my wife.  In fact, she swaps out that luggage she calls a purse for an actual purse-sized purse.  

Yeah, I'd be crying for sure to miss out on my sandwich punch.  But, yeah, I carry any number of things in my daily purse that I don't need for travel:  I'm not likely to need my vision or dental insurance.  Or my coupons.  

23 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Saw it myself.  Trust me -- the whole county heard that fight!  They DID NOT accept a passport as identification.  Since it wasn't me personally involved, I don't know what happened in the aftermath.  

Yeah, I'd be crying for sure to miss out on my sandwich punch.  But, yeah, I carry any number of things in my daily purse that I don't need for travel:  I'm not likely to need my vision or dental insurance.  Or my coupons.  

Passports are accepted for identity and place of birth, they are not accepted for residency or legal presence.

If you have a valid Passport, that is the gold standard for travel.  You also should have some kind of government-issued picture ID such as a drivers license, global entry ID card, etc.  The picture ID may be needed at some of the ports (when you go ashore) and Passports are best left locked in your cabin safe.  

If you do not have a valid Passport, things become a little more complicated.  You first need to check with your specific cruise line as some lines have their own rules.  For example, Oceania required everyone to have a valid Passport.  Most other lines, on closed loop cruises, require an official birth certificate and some type of government issued picture ID (the name must be tied to the name on the birth certificate).  

The requirements for "closed loop cruises" for those without a Passport can be complicated.  You can read about the US Government rules by googling "Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative" (WHTI).  Just keep in mind that a cruise line can impose more stringent rules on their customers.  Also understand that if you travel without a Passport and would need to leave your cruise during the voyage (for issues such as a medical emergency or personal emergency) it will be complicated to get back home and may well involve a substantial travel delay (while trying to resolve document related issues).

One other "heads up."  If you are traveling with minor children, there are special rules if one or both parents are not on the trip.   Cruise lines have their own rules as do the various governments.

Hank

2 hours ago, reallyitsmema said:

Passports are accepted for identity and place of birth, they are not accepted for residency or legal presence.

Yep, a passport lacks an address, so that could be an issue for why a DMV might not accept it for certain things, such as trying to register a car and needing to prove you live in that county.  

On 9/29/2022 at 9:31 AM, xray0111 said:

What personal documents do you take with you on a Caribbean cruise from US?

Examples would be things like passport, birth certificate, marriage license, physical copy of credit card, SS card, significant other, etc.

I'm referring to US citizen, physical copies (nothing on cellphone).

Thanks, XRAY

Passport and business cards

• 2 weeks later...

The only thing we have physical (printed) copies of are the passports.  Everything else is in the cell phone wallet.  Important numbers, like credit card int'l numbers, are in our cell phone's contact list.  

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

The only thing we have physical (printed) copies of are the passports.  Everything else is in the cell phone wallet.  Important numbers, like credit card int'l numbers, are in our cell phone's contact list.  

Why would you just  have the copy of your passport?  It’s not really good for anything except, perhaps, to slightly help a US consulate (if you can get to an island with one) start the process of getting you documented.

We are talking here about what you would bring with you on the cruise - not just when you go ashore.  I do not think that copy would serve as ID at boarding time- and would what you have on your cell phone meet the line’s boarding requirements?

Edited by navybankerteacher

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Why would you just  have the copy of your passport?  It’s not really good for anything except, perhaps, to slightly help a US consulate (if you can get to an island with one) start the process of getting you documented.

We are talking here about what you would bring with you on the cruise - not just when you go ashore.  I do not think that copy would serve as ID at boarding time- and would what you have on your cell phone meet the line’s boarding requirements?

Of course I bring the passport.  The passport photocopy is just for the very reason you say.   I guess by asking about physical copies I thought the OP meant what photocopies (not scans) are brought.   

On 9/29/2022 at 9:31 AM, xray0111 said:

What personal documents do you take with you on a Caribbean cruise from US?

Examples would be things like passport, birth certificate, marriage license, physical copy of credit card, SS card, significant other, etc.

I'm referring to US citizen, physical copies (nothing on cellphone).

Thanks, XRAY

I don' t even carry my SS card with me here at home......stays put away. So I would never take it on a cruise.

Marriage License? Why would anyone need to bring that with them? If you have a passport, you don't need to bring your birth certificate. 

I bring my passport, driver's license, AAA card and credit cards......I normally always bring 2 with me.   Oh, yea, I forgot........I bring that VAXX card with me too!

On 10/9/2022 at 9:01 AM, Lois R said:

Marriage License? Why would anyone need to bring that with them? If you have a passport, you don't need to bring your birth certificate. 

If you are cruising with a birth certificate and a state ID -- AND if your name has changed because of marriage, you need the marriage license as a "bridge document" between your birth certificate (with your old name) and your driver's license (with your new name).

2 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

If you are cruising with a birth certificate and a state ID -- AND if your name has changed because of marriage, you need the marriage license as a "bridge document" between your birth certificate (with your old name) and your driver's license (with your new name).

Sounds like a good reason to get a passport - and if you have these, you have all the paperwork required.

1 minute ago, TheOldBear said:

Sounds like a good reason to get a passport - and if you have these, you have all the paperwork required.

Plus an application, plus a photograph, plus the -- what is it?  -- $130 or so?  Plus the appointment to drop it off (assuming it's a first passport).  

I'd say whether to get a passport depends upon the travel you're considering over the next years.  

7 minutes ago, TheOldBear said:

The passport is valid for 10 years - and I am unaware of any need for an appointment. Things may have changed (2007 for first passport) , but I just had the local postmaster check the form - and she took the photo.

If you're getting a passport for the first time (or if your old one's been expired... oh, I don't know how many years), you cannot mail the application and assorted materials.  You must have an appointment to drop it off in person, and you're unlikely to get one within a week or two or even three.  

My point is, a passport does require some effort -- it's more than having a birth certificate, driver's license and marriage license on hand.  

And then there's the money.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury