The Fleet Report and Daily for Friday September 30th, 2022

richwmn

2 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

So it looks like we actually will be able to go on our vacation/anniversary trip to Barbados.

Yay 🙂. I am praying you are right too!

1 hour ago, marshhawk said:

Well now I can read and catch up before I walk THE DOG!

LOL on THE DOG - no name - just THE DOG.  In case this makes you feel better 🙂 

CD86E611-F365-49E2-B3FB-F658A35D5095.thumb.jpeg.42800eaed8c1cfab99101f08c5dad6ad.jpeg

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

With all the talk of holiday cruises, we decided to book one this year - not Christmas, but New Year's Koningsdam to Mexico for 16 days.  Our PCC told us one was on a special Canada Supersaver sale that ends today.  I had no idea!  But it was nice to get a little more off the price.

Nice!  Sounds like you might be on with J & J?  👍 

If I could have found a do-able flight, I would have been too.  I’ll just have to settle for the ABC islands and a bunch of other stops 😉 

Enjoy!

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

Good afternoon, which I hope will be a little less hectic than this morning.  When I got up this morning, I was greet with cooler than expected weather.  It was 53F this morning, so I waited a bit for it to warm up some before running errands.  I did not want to have to breakdown and put on long pants for a couple of hours. 

After the grocery store, I made banana pudding for dessert, and Watergate salad to go with our collard greens and chicken and dumplings.  That's the somewhat healthy meal since tomorrow night we'll be having nachos and cheese dip while we watch the UT v West Virginia game.  After last weeks loss, all I can say is GO HORNS!  🤘

I've never had a mud pack, and maybe that's why my face looks well lived in.  I wish I could hug our two vegetarians, but younger DD and SO are in Austin.  Translators perform a big service.  I will also salute Canada's Truth and Reconciliation Day.  I wish we had a day like that to acknowledge the wrongs we did to the Native Americans.

Today's quote is a good one and true.

I might like to try today's meal, but maybe without the fish heads.  We'll pass on the drink and the wine.  Moet & Chandon Champagne is one of our least favorite ones.

@mamaofami  🎂 HAPPY 17TH BIRTHDAY, JARED! 🎈  Carol, I'm glad many of your Florida friends  checked into say they are safe.

@Heartgrove  Jack, I'm sorry you are still fighting with the insurance company about the roof damage from last April.  That seems to be what they do best.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, I'm happy American Airlines is acting like your flight will be operating.  Stay safe until then.

@dfish  Debbie, I'm going to add my two cents worth, and that's about all it's worth.  Our older DD and DSIL used PODS for at least one of their moves and did not have any complaints.  It was a local move though.

@HAL4NOW  Thank you for the latest update on the fire.  I like that the contained percentage is going up.

@cat shepard  Ann, good news that Bindi could go for a walk and stay dry.  Thanks for the pictures.

@Horizon chaser 1957  I'm glad you are enjoying you stay in Montreal.  Thanks for the pictures.

@ger_77  Gerry, I'm glad you both will be up to date on your flu and covid shots.  Enjoy the warm weather.

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, I hope your sister recovers quickly from her shoulder surgery.  When DH had bone spurs removed, he recovered quickly and was driving in about a month.  It's the rotator cuff surgery that's the bad one.

@durangoscots  Susan, I hope you get good news from your friend in Fort Meyers soon.

@HAL Sailer  Melisa, what a mess with your friend's house and car.  If I'm correct from looking at the picture, DH had a car like that.  That's not the way you want it to end up.

@Cruising-along  Thanks for you pictures from Nemia and Nafplion.

@Vict0riann  Ann, that New Year's Cruise sounds like a good one.

@kazu Jacqui, I'm glad your knee is doing better.

@marshhawk  Annie, sorry you have to add a new medicine.  It's amazing how much heredity plays in our own health.

Lenda

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3

12 minutes ago, kazu said:

Yay 🙂. I am praying you are right too!

LOL on THE DOG - no name - just THE DOG.  In case this makes you feel better 🙂 

CD86E611-F365-49E2-B3FB-F658A35D5095.thumb.jpeg.42800eaed8c1cfab99101f08c5dad6ad.jpeg

Nice!  Sounds like you might be on with J & J?  👍 

If I could have found a do-able flight, I would have been too.  I’ll just have to settle for the ABC islands and a bunch of other stops 😉 

Enjoy!

Yes, and some neighbours, too.  It will be a surprise, so don't tell J&J!  They are on for longer than we are though.  Wish you could have worked it out.  We haven't figured out flights yet, we have a couple of nights booked in SD before though, so hope it works for us.

• Like 13

2 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

With all the talk of holiday cruises, we decided to book one this year - not Christmas, but New Year's Koningsdam to Mexico for 16 days.  Our PCC told us one was on a special Canada Supersaver sale that ends today.  I had no idea!  But it was nice to get a little more off the price.

And don't you wish that Jacqui @kazuwere willing to come over to the west coast and join us?

• Like 13

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Good morning all!

I heard from our friend in Ft. Meyers, her house came through fine but some of her trees didn't fare as well.  I hope we hear from more of our Dailyite friends soon.

I have never had a mud pack, and don't know any vegetarians to hug.  Funny, just this morning I decided to pack my English/French dictionary to help with my rusty French so that's my way of celebrating translation day.

I would like the meal if it isn't too spicy, and know I would like the wine and drink.  We were in Nafplion a year ago on the Eurodam.  We took a tour to Ancient Nemia and wine tasting.

Today will be spent doing more cruise prep, folding laundry, and housework.  I hope everyone has a great day!

Sunrise off our balcony in Nafplion

2084845889_SunriseNafplion.jpg.a8665df487074ff02a10e0f8ee3182f2.jpg

120399906_stadiumsign.jpg.795929c04ae830cfb869be24da70ff87.jpg

The stadium seated 30,000 people

19808511_stadiumseated30000.jpg.55615254e356823f613e2633921f0dbc.jpg

"Locker room" for the games

1814126289_lockerroomforgames.jpg.4551ee6f6b9f846c6bb4cb0bf924e91e.jpg

Temple of Zeus

600668214_TempleofZeus.jpg.414a1d903c4d78ae7fae77f65d571d74.jpg

Temple of Zeus

808690555_TempleofZeus2.jpg.5515bb7d4c8a0cce9d43986d3a0c5b6c.jpg

I love how friendly the cats are in Greece

164429772_waitingtobepet.jpg.fddbf53f19841bd2e653dc6e41301b65.jpg

At the winery

grapes.jpg.73db0d9647e4ba2064b486802324a2af.jpg

171553094_winebarrels.jpg.634fb1254887cd1e09ed224b191f7519.jpg

A cemetery by the road

cemetery.jpg.8286bd5045a45ecb07b17792955d421a.jpg

And a small fort

fort.jpg.388ea1b0b77e9b793a1392aa34452a4b.jpg

Nice photos.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

A quick good morning from central Texas.  It is a busy morning, so I thought I'd drop in to wish everyone good morning and to repost my pictures of today's port.  I hope we hear from @MISTER 67 and @jimgev  soon and I hope they are safe with no injuries or much damage.  I'm so many are checking in and are safe, and their many friends and relatives are safe.  I hope everyone still in Ian's path remains safe, too.

In 2019, the Veendam took us to Napflion in the Peloponnese.  When we couldn't rent a car, we walked around town and then took the Ho-Ho which took us up to the fort overlooking the town.

From our walk around town

DSC06383.thumb.JPG.3c7a1c04746625340992c28b1030f63c.JPG

DSC06384.thumb.JPG.692f4f29f9a2325fb52171f460e2ba14.JPG

DSC06385.thumb.JPG.b97327256173b8d71293d74a27bbe26c.JPG

DSC06389.thumb.JPG.5504d1729a7e5a5746bd6d3153ee395e.JPG

The fort from town and on the hillside.  We opted to skip going into the fort. Plus the view of town from the hilltop.

DSC06381.thumb.JPG.498eb88edd2842341731c3aca855bdd9.JPG

DSC06399.thumb.JPG.8a1211ffd9b7c35b3aa97037b9b3e54e.JPG

DSC06400.thumb.JPG.0bef38b09ee1052e36b3d246acf943af.JPG

Town as seen from the Ho-Ho

DSC06401.thumb.JPG.9f26aaa7c0cbb461ba4f5e61f6931428.JPG

DSC06404.thumb.JPG.33dd2a382710bc21a6f9743020aafea2.JPG

DSC06405.thumb.JPG.ae43f77381887618a12a609fdc716810.JPG

DSC06386.JPG

A smaller fort on the harbor

DSC06406.thumb.JPG.fa416b8072bded32d821c31bc1446f05.JPG

Napflion is an interesting town.  There are also several places to visit outside of town including Corinth.

I be back to finish reading the Daily after my haircut today.

Lenda

Thank you for posting your nice photos of a port we have never been to.

Graham.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Happy Friday!  Almost the weekend with non-stop football and a Saturday full of horse racing too.  We got back from New Buffalo and enjoyed broasted chicken and then got to work outside.  John mowed the lawn and I pulled and cut back Virginia Creeper and Wisteria that we coming up where they aren't wanted.  Then I treated the stubs with poison ivy killer.  Tomorrow I can finish my fall cut back and finally get the Wet & Forget sprayed.

Prayers for all who have had to deal with the horror of Ian.  We have friends we know from the next lake up from us in the UP and they live on Pine Island.  Weather Channel was showing the damage there this morning,  so many of the homes were trailers.   I am sure they evacuated.  Prayers for all in SC and NC as you have to deal with Ian.  It appears we made the right decision to cancel our road trip to Baltimore for the Ravens game.   

Prayers for all on our care list and the people of Ukraine.   Thank you for the prayers for my friend Frank.  He sent a couple of texts today complaining about the rehab nursing home he is in and also that he will probably be released to home next week.   

Thank you for the Daily Reports!   I'll take the cocktail and champagne but pass on the fish.  A local restaurant makes a similar dish.   Thanks for the photos of today's port in Greece.   

@StLouisCruisersthank you for the picture of those charming pups, pretty enough to brighten everyone's day. 

Our drive back home was beautiful as we mainly take back roads and there had been a frost and the Maples are beginning to show some color.  Have a great weekend!!

February 22, 2022.

beach ponies HMC 2222.JPG

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, AV8rix said:

And don't you wish that Jacqui @kazuwere willing to come over to the west coast and join us?

I do too - but you can’t get through U.S Customs at Pearson in 1 hour and 10 minutes in peak time 😔 

And the rest were long flights- 25 - 36 hours.

I’m not up to the day hotel and all the crap that goes with that.

1 hour ago, Vict0riann said:

Yes, and some neighbours, too.  It will be a surprise, so don't tell J&J!  They are on for longer than we are though.  Wish you could have worked it out.  We haven't figured out flights yet, we have a couple of nights booked in SD before though, so hope it works for us.

I won’t say a word.  Would love to be with you all.  I know no one on my sailing nor even “know” them from the boards.  Oh well, with luck I will connect with some people on board 🤞 

Going with all of you would have been fun and easier but the flights were worse than getting to Europe.  if they change who knows 😉 

• Like 19

19 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I don't have a September 30 sunrise.  This is from earlier in September, the 17th of 2007 from the Training Center at Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico:

DSCF0019.JPG.ff675e917d3d77189df33b3311a

Roy

Here is a smokey sunrise from Skykomish this morning:

sunrise.thumb.jpg.90e86aec98077504467282323014f670.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 10

Mister 67 checking in. First of all thank you for caring, you are really super people.

OK, we lost power Wednesday about 3PM when the northern wall of the eye came right on top of us, wind, noise  and rain like I’ve never seen or heard before but we hung in there with no damage to the condo. We then had lighter winds and then the southern wall passed over us and there was no comparison to the northern wall, it was brutal with a complete white out of rain and wind. Again the condo came through, my next door neighbor had a window broken from flying shingles from a next door condo.

We can’t live without power so we are 2 crazy people and were able to call Celebrity yesterday and we booked a cruise for Saturday. We drove over early this AM and are in a Marriott in Ft. Lauderdale, we had just enough gas to get us over here and filled up in Weston about 7 miles east of where Alligator Alley ends. Traffic going was very light but going west we saw convoy after convoy of National Guard, Police and Electric Company trucks heading over to Collier, Lee and Charlotte counties to help with the rebuild. 
We heard that the the whole electric grid in Punta Gorda and Port Charlotte was destroyed and has to be rebuilt so we have no idea when we will see power again, we might stay on the ship an extra week or head up to Raleigh where we have relatives. 
Thanks again to all for your caring thoughts.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 28

40 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

Sorry Ann. I am not on the Rotterdam but I happen to read a Facebook posting from a passenger on the Rotterdam. That is where I read that information.

Jack, I'll be on Rotterdam in two weeks for the 150th Anniversary TA, so I am interested.  I will not ask you to divulge the name of the person if it is on a personal page where you read it.  But if it is on one of the public FB pages would you mind telling me?  The only one I follow on FB is "Holland America Line Fans" and it is not there.  TIA.

Edited by AV8rix
  • Like 12

5 hours ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

A quick good morning from central Texas.  It is a busy morning, so I thought I'd drop in to wish everyone good morning and to repost my pictures of today's port.  I hope we hear from @MISTER 67 and @jimgev  soon and I hope they are safe with no injuries or much damage.  I'm so many are checking in and are safe, and their many friends and relatives are safe.  I hope everyone still in Ian's path remains safe, too.

In 2019, the Veendam took us to Napflion in the Peloponnese.  When we couldn't rent a car, we walked around town and then took the Ho-Ho which took us up to the fort overlooking the town.

From our walk around town

DSC06383.thumb.JPG.3c7a1c04746625340992c28b1030f63c.JPG

DSC06384.thumb.JPG.692f4f29f9a2325fb52171f460e2ba14.JPG

DSC06385.thumb.JPG.b97327256173b8d71293d74a27bbe26c.JPG

DSC06389.thumb.JPG.5504d1729a7e5a5746bd6d3153ee395e.JPG

The fort from town and on the hillside.  We opted to skip going into the fort. Plus the view of town from the hilltop.

DSC06381.thumb.JPG.498eb88edd2842341731c3aca855bdd9.JPG

DSC06399.thumb.JPG.8a1211ffd9b7c35b3aa97037b9b3e54e.JPG

DSC06400.thumb.JPG.0bef38b09ee1052e36b3d246acf943af.JPG

Town as seen from the Ho-Ho

DSC06401.thumb.JPG.9f26aaa7c0cbb461ba4f5e61f6931428.JPG

DSC06404.thumb.JPG.33dd2a382710bc21a6f9743020aafea2.JPG

DSC06405.thumb.JPG.ae43f77381887618a12a609fdc716810.JPG

DSC06386.JPG

A smaller fort on the harbor

DSC06406.thumb.JPG.fa416b8072bded32d821c31bc1446f05.JPG

Napflion is an interesting town.  There are also several places to visit outside of town including Corinth.

I be back to finish reading the Daily after my haircut today.

Lenda

As allways lovely  photos Lenda

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

Mister 67 checking in. First of all thank you for caring, you are really super people.

OK, we lost power Wednesday about 3PM when the northern wall of the eye came right on top of us, wind, noise  and rain like I’ve never seen or heard before but we hung in there with no damage to the condo. We then had lighter winds and then the southern wall passed over us and there was no comparison to the northern wall, it was brutal with a complete white out of rain and wind. Again the condo came through, my next door neighbor had a window broken from flying shingles from a next door condo.

We can’t live without power so we are 2 crazy people and were able to call Celebrity yesterday and we booked a cruise for Saturday. We drove over early this AM and are in a Marriott in Ft. Lauderdale, we had just enough gas to get us over here and filled up in Weston about 7 miles east of where Alligator Alley ends. Traffic going was very light but going west we saw convoy after convoy of National Guard, Police and Electric Company trucks heading over to Collier, Lee and Charlotte counties to help with the rebuild. 
We heard that the the whole electric grid in Punta Gorda and Port Charlotte was destroyed and has to be rebuilt so we have no idea when we will see power again, we might stay on the ship an extra week or head up to Raleigh where we have relatives. 

Great news to hear you two are safe and no damages to your condo.  And way to go, making lemonade out of lemons!  Enjoy your cruise(s) and hopefully there will be power when you return.

Also, Happy birthday wishes to Jared!  

Thanks all for your photos of Nafplion today.  Love those Greek ports!

• Like 15

1 hour ago, ottahand7 said:

Happy Friday!  Almost the weekend with non-stop football and a Saturday full of horse racing too.  We got back from New Buffalo and enjoyed broasted chicken and then got to work outside.  John mowed the lawn and I pulled and cut back Virginia Creeper and Wisteria that we coming up where they aren't wanted.  Then I treated the stubs with poison ivy killer.  Tomorrow I can finish my fall cut back and finally get the Wet & Forget sprayed.

Prayers for all who have had to deal with the horror of Ian.  We have friends we know from the next lake up from us in the UP and they live on Pine Island.  Weather Channel was showing the damage there this morning,  so many of the homes were trailers.   I am sure they evacuated.  Prayers for all in SC and NC as you have to deal with Ian.  It appears we made the right decision to cancel our road trip to Baltimore for the Ravens game.   

Prayers for all on our care list and the people of Ukraine.   Thank you for the prayers for my friend Frank.  He sent a couple of texts today complaining about the rehab nursing home he is in and also that he will probably be released to home next week.   

Thank you for the Daily Reports!   I'll take the cocktail and champagne but pass on the fish.  A local restaurant makes a similar dish.   Thanks for the photos of today's port in Greece.   

@StLouisCruisersthank you for the picture of those charming pups, pretty enough to brighten everyone's day. 

Our drive back home was beautiful as we mainly take back roads and there had been a frost and the Maples are beginning to show some color.  Have a great weekend!!

February 22, 2022.

beach ponies HMC 2222.JPG

Good to know you arrived home safely after a good time away.  I agree, you called it correctly when you canceled your Baltimore trip.

13 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

Thank you for checking in. and it's good to know your and your condo came through Ian with no damage.  I couldn't live for long without power either.  Enjoy your cruise(s) and your possible trip to Raleigh.  Rebuilding a power grid is a daunting task, and unfortunately, that could take some time.  My DF and DH both worked for electric utility companies, so we are familiar with all that is involved.  

At least, crews from unaffected areas should already be heading to Florida to lend a hand at getting the power grid up and running.

6 minutes ago, irishjim said:

As allways lovely  photos Lenda

Thank  you, Jim.  We're always glad to be able to share our pictures since that means we've been fortunate enough to visit so many wonderful places.

Lenda

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

Delighted to hear you are safe.

Best wishes for a wonderful cruise on Saturday.

Graham.

• Like 10

25 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

Very happy to hear your safe and have a great plan. Bon Voyage!

• Like 12

31 minutes ago, MISTER 67 said:

Thanks for checking in and it's great to hear you came through it safely. It sounds like a very scary experience! Smart move getting out and going on a cruise. Bon Voyage!

• Like 14

1 hour ago, AV8rix said:

Jack, I'll be on Rotterdam in two weeks for the 150th Anniversary TA, so I am interested.  I will not ask you to divulge the name of the person if it is on a personal page where you read it.  But if it is on one of the public FB pages would you mind telling me?  The only one I follow on FB is "Holland America Line Fans" and it is not there.  TIA.

Sue spotted it on FB this morning. Just looking at it now, they are adding Norovirus. (???) The site is: Holland America Line Rotterdam Fans Official Site.

Have a great cruise. We originally had booked that Transatlantic but changed to the Oosterdam in November.

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2