The Fleet Report and Daily for Sunday October 2nd, 2022

richwmn

Thank you Rich for the Daily Report, thank you Roy for the Cares and Celebration Report, thank you Debbie for today's recipes, and thank you Dixie for today's cocktail recipe. And thankyou all for being here! Hoping everyone is having a safe weekend!

I will try to add our Corfu photos later.

Two weeks until we leave and getting excited! Trying to wrap up the loose ends. I still need to order new socks!

Stay Safe!

- Jack

• Like 25

Good morning and thanks for the update.

It’s supposed to be rainy all day and tomorrow is rainy as well. 
       Today I should have been boarding Nieuw Statendam but I had to cancel. The Navigator app still thinks I’m coming and is saying welcome on board from Captain Noel O’ Driscoll. For those of you sailing next Saturday it shows a steak dinner in the Lido at 5:00.

I know I made the right decision but it still depresses me 😢

Blessings and prayers to all on our lists 🙏❤️

• Like 18
  • Thanks 7

1 hour ago, Cruzin Terri said:

i thank you @rafinmdRoy for including us on the celebrations list.  However, we are leaving tomorrow (10/3) for Barbados.  10/4 is actually our anniversary so I hope we get there in time to celebrate. I am hoping that your change of date is not an omen for tomorrow’s flight and all goes well without any delays or cancellations

Sorry, I hope not an omen.  I think you said 2 weeks and you returning 10/18 so while I had 10/3 as your starting date I reset it to 10/4.  Wishing you a safe and ontime flight.

@grapau27 is there a story behind St. Paul's Harvest Thanksgiving.  I was thinking it might be the Thanksgiving date in the UK but see that is not the case.

Roy

• Like 22

1 minute ago, rafinmd said:

Sorry, I hope not an omen.  I think you said 2 weeks and you returning 10/18 so while I had 10/3 as your starting date I reset it to 10/4.  Wishing you a safe and ontime flight.

Actually we get back to JAX on the night of the 17th at 11:30 pm.  So we’re staying overnight and driving back to Bluffton the next morning (18th).  Sorry I confused you.

Terri

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

We drive Felix our Forester.  I name most of our cars, some names have been better than others.  My best name was of the great white Mercedes sedan DH had for a while.  MobyNick.

@aliaschief, I can’t recall if you’ve ever done a Scenic cruise before.  If not, you will love it!  We’ve done two, and both were exceptional.

Strength for everyone working to recover from hurricane destruction.

My best ~~

• Like 21

Good morning from sunny and breezy central Texas.  There's not much on the agenda today.

Custodians are the unsung heroes who clean up our messes.  I've only had one car that was named.  It was my mother's 1956 Plymouth Savoy which I drove in high school and college.  We named it The Bomb because it had a few quirks and was almost like a tank.  I appreciate farm animals, and my grandfather had a few on their farm which was not really a working farm by then.  He had a white cow named Bossy and a few Guinea hens.  I remember him putting me on Bossy's back and her just standing there.

I like the night because DH can get some great pictures with his telescope.  We'll pass on the meal, drink and wine today.

@kazu  Jacqui, I wear my Birk's just about year round.  I confess that in the winter around the house, I wear them with socks on really cold days.

@Seasick Sailor  Joy, I'm glad your DS is feeling better.  Bora Bora has been closed to large cruise ships for about a year now, which is disappointing since it's a favorite port.  Christmas Island is interesting even with not much to see, but the tides can make tendering dicey.  I was surprised about Hilo.

We have been to Corfu seven times, all on BHBs.  I'll divide the pictures into two posts.  The first post will be from our Noordam III 2002 and 2004 stops and out 2016 and 2019 stops on Prinsendam.  In 2019, we stopped in Corfu three times on b2b2b cruises on Veendam, and I'll share them in another post.

The coast from the Noordam III in 2002

IMG_2919.thumb.JPG.b6a08b67226fc54fbafad1a457d30625.JPG

The view from a hilltop restaurant on the other side of the island in 2002

PICT0002.thumb.JPG.7ffe312556a4da53033192f3771c55b2.JPG

A church we saw in 2002

IMG_2915.thumb.JPG.3b953733d428971ce6865aa79dc15efb.JPG

IMG_2914.thumb.JPG.88576da6baba4c224b80f029d2781f40.JPG

IMG_2916.thumb.JPG.3338385ccbc08b1fa37d598dd8663211.JPG

The old town and part fof the open area in front of the old town from various stops.

DSC07953.thumb.JPG.fdb8f7ff6452f9513a8f316643d11cd5.JPG

DSC07954.thumb.JPG.bcaf95de3a223d909977793e5c98ab70.JPG

PICT0008.thumb.JPG.b05aa8402529e01c7438b58960e9cdaf.JPG

PICT0010.thumb.JPG.b49bf346aeaf3ef901ee38063cf97fb4.JPG

DSC00910.thumb.JPG.247f0c850ebac6ff23bab3c4adf1dedb.JPG

DSC00906.thumb.JPG.0a0a04d7410acfe162f5359a582c30ac.JPG

The area around the old fort and the entrance to the fort.

DSC07966.thumb.JPG.09bec68c4ab534c4fcf49613dcc4620e.JPG

DSC07961.thumb.JPG.52d9f2e934780ef7f695f3f1e6fd3ead.JPG

DSC07965.thumb.JPG.dbb21dd398b1525179a79446d9344492.JPG

PICT0006.thumb.JPG.269bb6535de12a6dbb0a6498d795b39e.JPG

Lenda

• Like 24
  • Thanks 5

Just now, Live4cruises said:

We drive Felix our Forester.  I name most of our cars, some names have been better than others.  My best name was of the great white Mercedes sedan DH had for a while.  MobyNick.

@aliaschief, I can’t recall if you’ve ever done a Scenic cruise before.  If not, you will love it!  We’ve done two, and both were exceptional.

Strength for everyone working to recover from hurricane destruction.

My best ~~

Thanks! This is our first ever river cruise and we are really looking forward to it. It’s a culinary theme cruise with celebrity chef on board. One of our excursions is we’re going to forage with dogs for truffles! We were scheduled on a Viking River cruise but that was cancelled due to the pandemic. We’re excited and really looking forward to this new adventure.

• Like 21

Good morning, thanks for the Fleet Report and Daily!  I've always respected custodians / janitors, because my Dad was the janitor at our town's movie theatre for many years.  Later in life, I was tasked with showing newbies around the court house and told them in order to make their lives much easier, they had better seek out and show respect to both the custodians and the secretaries, as they are our greatest assets.  Our cars don't have names, just Yours, Mine, and the Topless.  Being carnivores, we are grateful for farm animals.

I love today's quote - we will often go outside and enjoy the night sky.

Well I called the drug store and grocery store, and neither has had an earring like mine turned in.  I looked throughout the house and car, and even put a nylon stocking over the vacuum hose to check out the car, to no avail.  I don't think St. Anthony's going to come through with this one.  

I did get one thing checked off my "to do" list yesterday, that was washing the living room windows.  I got up on the ladder with the swiffer mop, but replaced the flimsy tissue with an old bath towel, had my pail of vinegar water and squeegee, and went to work.  A short time later, we could actually see out of them again!  Unfortunately, when I was coming off the ladder, I put my foot down and felt a sharp pain in the ball of my foot.  I tried stepping on it again, and ouch - what the heck?  I had stepped on a nail.  DH in all his wisdom and glory had thought it a good idea to nail down the small tin ant trap so it wouldn't roll around in the wind, but it appears our friendly squirrel had been digging around and upturned it.   I limped into the house where DH promptly brought out the alcohol (not wine) and peroxide.  Fortunately I'd worn good shoes to go on the ladder, not just flip flops, so it wasn't deep, and also we'd updated our tetanus shots just a couple of years ago when we were planning on going to SE Asia.  I checked it this morning and there's not a lot of redness, but will keep an eye on it.

I like today's menu suggestion, and recall having it in Tokyo where we could select our ingredients and have it made in front of us.  DH particularly liked that he could get just vegetables, while I enjoyed the rice with pickled daikon and tempura shrimp.  Yum!  Sadly, we won't be having any of that today, but will be going out for dinner with DH's daughter and her husband for their anniversary tonight.  Not sure what we'll be having, but I'm sure it will be delicious.  And wine.

Prayers for those who are hurting, especially those affected by both Fiona and Ian, as well as the people of Ukraine.  Cheers to all the celebrations.  Stay safe, everyone!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

@ger_77 Gerry, happy to read that the nail did not go too deep!

I had an interesting morning. I arrived at my gym only to learn that it did not have power. So I figured I would head to Starbucks to kill time until my Aldi opened. But they did not have power either. And traffic lights were being powered by portable generators! And this is the main drag of my little town!

SomI headed North to the Aldi just North of me and on my way passed convoys of electric company vehicles coming out of the Flagler County Airport road. They must be housing them there. Some of the trucks were from Hyattsville, Maryland, Roy @rafinmd!  Still some areas here without power. But we are blessed, when we compare our situation to that of the Southwest Coast. 

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3

Now for our three stops in Corfu in 2019 on Veendam.  The first stop we rented a car and drove around the island.  The other times we took the Ho-Ho and did one loop each time.

Our drive on July 11, 2019, took us to Roda and Palaiokastraitsa and across the island.

Heading out of town

DSC06428.thumb.JPG.7ef00047678211d596d27c201d2ed0e8.JPG

DSC06430.thumb.JPG.18d015743dabb77dbeb3b23c0c6da687.JPG

DSC06431.thumb.JPG.c1702c05e433561f51527b92c3bc6cb8.JPG

Roda

DSC06433.thumb.JPG.92ddef7ea826100ae307ae7257980912.JPG

DSC06436.thumb.JPG.53924a4a7c9e5ef1d7bd2f7e1ad757ec.JPG

DSC06437.thumb.JPG.43f3150191ffc58f5b772ad35c6034e4.JPG

Some cruisers stop for coffee or beer, but we stop for gelato when in Europe

DSC06442.thumb.JPG.af3028abd659589c2557c1b8d5903057.JPG

DSC06443.thumb.JPG.98ee601cea76b4f0ec577e2abe4fa8f6.JPG

Palaiokastraitsa

DSC06447.thumb.JPG.d05a6a9c8654fe0f0e670e0716ba1ebd.JPG

DSC06449.thumb.JPG.b576c4b1cd8966903efd4c1a39e60865.JPG

Some random pictures from the two Ho-Ho loops.  A street market

DSC07368.thumb.JPG.c417b8a37aea06a8c2c1beee74230a0e.JPG

There were a lot of ruins along the frits loop and this is one.

DSC07375.thumb.JPG.e4aedba8126c8ac03644cf83fa694073.JPG

An old windmill

DSC07390.thumb.JPG.47f496b0d8816ec37bdb2eefa8c9d5a7.JPG

For the garden club

DSC07423.thumb.JPG.df152d1972f835013f85ac0fdaf09000.JPG

A sign on the new fort

DSC07727.thumb.JPG.d94d6eb77760386ad146cf27a4289c93.JPG

In town

DSC07730.thumb.JPG.738ef396eb7e73f0ee55782e4e3a6256.JPG

We wanted to go through the Achillean Palace, but when we saw the line for tickets, we got back on the Ho-Ho.

DSC07732.thumb.JPG.9d1e8f2ceaf2bc6bfb94d19b8e36c7a7.JPG

DSC07733.thumb.JPG.57924e787c83760bab9634956a5fe060.JPG

DSC07734.thumb.JPG.b68fa4221ecf12b6900accc06041c6c8.JPG

Drive along the coast

DSC07738.thumb.JPG.9ac5466a68a5ee51917771abaf03afa0.JPG

Lenda

• Like 24
  • Thanks 5

55 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

@grapau27 is there a story behind St. Paul's Harvest Thanksgiving.  I was thinking it might be the Thanksgiving date in the UK but see that is not the case.

Roy

Harvest Thanksgiving service was delayed because of the death and funeral of Her Majesty the Queen.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 7

I've visited Corfu once, on the Norwegian Jade. Many of my photos are like those already posted, but here are a few from the synagogue.

corfu-3.thumb.jpg.daa514f7e5bf0cc1a5cc6ea01c2c91e8.jpgcorfu-2.thumb.jpg.9e89093698a66d987123ec16f93943ee.jpg400400

corfu-1.jpg.7735a17873eaa0857c96e213acb47e21.jpg

Either of the meal suggestions would be OK with me, but as usual I have no idea what I'm going to have.

1322886717_intldayofnon-v.thumb.gif.3eca6bbbf09d8ca56030b2fcb3b361b8.gif

• Like 28

@rafinmd

Harvest Festival (United Kingdom)

Harvest Festival

Observed by    United Kingdom
Type    Cultural, religious.
Date    The Sunday closest to the harvest moon
Frequency    Annually

The Harvest Festival of Thanksgiving is a celebration of the harvest and food grown on the land in the United Kingdom. It is about giving thanks for a successful crop yield over the year as winter starts to approach. The festival is also about giving thanks for all the good and positive things in people's lives, such as family and friendships. Harvest Festivals have traditionally been held in churches but also in schools and sometimes in pubs. Some estates and farms used to hold the harvest festival in a barn. In some towns and villages the harvest festivals are set so that the different churches do not have it on the same day. People bring in produce from their garden, allotment or farm, and even tinned and packaged food. Often there is a Harvest Supper at which some of the produce may be eaten. Typically surplus produce is given away to a local charity, hospital or children's home, or auctioned for charity

• Like 18
  • Thanks 7

Good Morning from a warm and sunny day at the beach

We used to call DH`s car " the beast". We had it while he was in graduate school. It was a big old chevy that kept on going. Looked awful and drove worse. But it worked and no one stole it. LOL.

Thank You all for the Birthday wishes for DH yesterday. He was very pleased. 

@Cruzin Terri Hope you have a wonderful trip and a very Happy Anniversary. 

@Seasick Sailor We lost Bora Bora and Christmas Island also. Bora Bora is limiting the number of passengers and not sure about Christmas Island.  We had a few other changes as well. While it is disappointing, I am just glad to be able to go at all.

Brought all my house plants to my friend last nite. DH is out washing the car. 

Our meal today will be whatever is left in the refrigerator. 

Stay safe and enjoy today

Charlene

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

@aliaschief, if by the remotest chance Benjamin is your CD, you will be fortunate!  Please give him greetings from Robin & Nick (this will get you a blank stare); it might jog his memory if you tell him that Nick was the guy with the pony tail who sketched all the portraits.  Unlikely, but it would be a fun coincidence! 

• Like 19

Good morning to all. Rainy this morning and temp was 43F when I finally managed to drag the dogs out. Bandit was his usual cooperative self but Monty wanted no part of it. As soon as we came dripping in after wander in the rain for about 15 minutes he used one of my throw rugs. Fortunately washable. High today is supposed to be in mid-60's and in stay in the 60's during the day through the entire week. I understand there is white stuff above us. Am thinking I will have turn on the heat soon. I am not complaining about the rain even if the dogs are. Monty needs a raincoat.

Today's pictures look really appealing and does the food and drink. Tonight I have some shrimp that I need to fix .... just need to decide how to fix. Not feeling very creative at the moment.

All of my Florida friends have checked in now and most seem to escaped the damage, even those close to and in Ft. Myers. I think I am better able to handle snow (remind me I said that this winter).

Susan

• Like 21

@Quartzsite Cruiser

Lenda if Bora Bora has been closed for so long why on earth would I get a change the day after booking this cruise a few days ago? We were supposed to be on this cruise March of 2020 on Oosterdam. That does not seem fair..

ITINERARY CHANGE NOTIFICATION
Please be advised that due to port availability we have revised your cruise
itinerary. We will no longer call in Hilo, Hawaii but have added calls to
Lahaina, Maui; and to Nawiliwili, Kauai. The arrival in Honolulu, Oahu has
been shifted from February 25 to February 26 and the call to Kona, Hawaii has
been shifted from February 27 to February 24. We will no longer call to
Christmas Island, Kiribati but have added a call to Tabuaeran (Fanning
Island), Kiribati. In addition, we will also no longer call to Bora Bora,
French Polynesia but have added an overnight in Uturoa, Raiatea, French
Polynesia beginning on March 7. Arrival and departure times in some ports have
also been adjusted. The revised itinerary displays in full below.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Last night I went to downtown and dinned with my son and grandson on tables outside. It was so pleasant, not the heat of summer or the wind of winter. Very fun walking around town and people watching. One lady pulled up where there were signs posted for an event. I pointed at the sign as they were only three cars down giving tickets. She wanted to bargain with me. I just shrugged my shoulders. She did pull out just before the officer got to her. 

Wow the photos of the port are great, thanks everyone. Thanks Rich and all who post regularly. Prayers and cheers for all.

• Like 20

Happy Sunday not morning anymore Dailyites!

I always name my cars.  That way when they don't behave, we can talk to them as if they were a friend.

The red Jeep (my old car) I got when I was working at the garden center teaching pond building.  I wrote a monthly news letter under the  name Puddles.  I named the car Puddles, and that is the name on the license plate.  Now the car is old, and it has puddle issues.

The black Jeep that I drive now, DH's jeep, I named Sid Carter after the character in Father Brown, a bit of a trouble maker, but with good intentions.  It now is also becoming a puddles.

I love the quote.  Years ago I told a friend who was always down and depressed that you cant see the stars unless you look up.  DH and I sit out at night to watch the sky.  We went out the other night to see Jupiter, and a huge very close meteor tumbled out of the sky.  To me it looked like it was across the street!  DH said no, it was probably miles away.   Because i saw parts of it fall off, it really did look close.

Not big on uncooked fish.  If God had wanted us to eat meat raw, he wouldn't have given us fire.  Just finished watching F1, my favorite driver won!  Yeah!  Now to get dressed and face the day.  Still very cool in the house, have to run an errand, and DH is out working on the brakes again.  He keeps misplacing things, like his glasses, and with his vision problems has to call me out to find them. 

il_340x270.1330845342_4kul.jpg?version=0

funny-cat-cartoons-9.jpg

• Like 15
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Now for our three stops in Corfu in 2019 on Veendam.  The first stop we rented a car and drove around the island.  The other times we took the Ho-Ho and did one loop each time.

Our drive on July 11, 2019, took us to Roda and Palaiokastraitsa and across the island.

Heading out of town

DSC06428.thumb.JPG.7ef00047678211d596d27c201d2ed0e8.JPG

DSC06430.thumb.JPG.18d015743dabb77dbeb3b23c0c6da687.JPG

DSC06431.thumb.JPG.c1702c05e433561f51527b92c3bc6cb8.JPG

Roda

DSC06433.thumb.JPG.92ddef7ea826100ae307ae7257980912.JPG

DSC06436.thumb.JPG.53924a4a7c9e5ef1d7bd2f7e1ad757ec.JPG

DSC06437.thumb.JPG.43f3150191ffc58f5b772ad35c6034e4.JPG

Some cruisers stop for coffee or beer, but we stop for gelato when in Europe

DSC06442.thumb.JPG.af3028abd659589c2557c1b8d5903057.JPG

DSC06443.thumb.JPG.98ee601cea76b4f0ec577e2abe4fa8f6.JPG

Palaiokastraitsa

DSC06447.thumb.JPG.d05a6a9c8654fe0f0e670e0716ba1ebd.JPG

DSC06449.thumb.JPG.b576c4b1cd8966903efd4c1a39e60865.JPG

Some random pictures from the two Ho-Ho loops.  A street market

DSC07368.thumb.JPG.c417b8a37aea06a8c2c1beee74230a0e.JPG

There were a lot of ruins along the frits loop and this is one.

DSC07375.thumb.JPG.e4aedba8126c8ac03644cf83fa694073.JPG

An old windmill

DSC07390.thumb.JPG.47f496b0d8816ec37bdb2eefa8c9d5a7.JPG

For the garden club

DSC07423.thumb.JPG.df152d1972f835013f85ac0fdaf09000.JPG

A sign on the new fort

DSC07727.thumb.JPG.d94d6eb77760386ad146cf27a4289c93.JPG

In town

DSC07730.thumb.JPG.738ef396eb7e73f0ee55782e4e3a6256.JPG

We wanted to go through the Achillean Palace, but when we saw the line for tickets, we got back on the Ho-Ho.

DSC07732.thumb.JPG.9d1e8f2ceaf2bc6bfb94d19b8e36c7a7.JPG

DSC07733.thumb.JPG.57924e787c83760bab9634956a5fe060.JPG

DSC07734.thumb.JPG.b68fa4221ecf12b6900accc06041c6c8.JPG

Drive along the coast

DSC07738.thumb.JPG.9ac5466a68a5ee51917771abaf03afa0.JPG

Lenda

Nice photos Lenda.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1