The Fleet Report and Daily for Monday October 3rd, 2022

richwmn

3 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good morning!  We are having leftover spaghetti and meatballs today so the meal suggestion is right on target today. I cheat and use frozen meatballs from Trader Joe’s. They are really good and better than what I make. 

I probably won’t be able to post until Wednesday after we arrive in Quebec City.  Have a great day everyone!

Safe travels! I'll be there Friday.

• Like 12

I'm doing fairly well with the vegetables from Misfits Market. On successive days, I roasted beets, Brussels sprouts (it's the only way I like them), and carrots. I had missed roasting vegetables during the hot weather, and it's convenient to have them ready to add, for example, to lunch. This leaves only broccoli, which I'll more likely steam. Two zucchini are either hiding from me, or were omitted from the order.

The shipment arriving tomorrow will include cauliflower, but no Brussels sprouts. It will also have blueberries, cantaloupe, pears,  and avocados.

I've certainly drunk a fair amount of White Zinfandel. I took some Sutter Home red singles, probably Cabernet, on my Alaska trip last year. Wine was available aboard the ferries, but I had been told that it wouldn't be. There are no longer bars on the Alaska state ferries, but beer and wine can be purchased from the cashier in the cafeteria or food court. Drinking on deck is not allowed, but lots of people had travel mugs.

871685449_laserbeam.thumb.jpg.5107d878f63549daa02fa10bb6de2217.jpg

• Like 17
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good morning!  We are having leftover spaghetti and meatballs today so the meal suggestion is right on target today. I cheat and use frozen meatballs from Trader Joe’s. They are really good and better than what I make. 

I probably won’t be able to post until Wednesday after we arrive in Quebec City.  Have a great day everyone!

Safe travels, Sharon. Enjoy!

• Like 11

The saga continues….

September 15th

Seattle

After a wonderful night’s sleep, I got up, dressed. Headed outside for coffee in the Oasis. My host and hostess had to leave fairly early for meetings downtown, so we had time to share one cup of coffee with them. They warned us that the place we planned to visit in the afternoon was in a very industrial area of the city. Boy were they right!

After they left, we enjoyed a breakfast of yogurt, berries and pecans! Ooh, and more coffee. Before leaving our hostess gave us an alternative path down to Carkeek Park, so we decided to take Bella with us again. She had forgiven us for “breaking in” last night. 😎

We headed out on a cool and cloudy morning .it was perfect walking weather. Today’s path, though steep, did not have as many loose rocks as yesterday’s. It did not take us long to reach the park’s road which brought us almost immediately to the parking lot, playground and beach. We walked around a bit and enjoyed a group from a local Daycare playing on the slides and swings. We did not get down to the beach, because Bella does not like the bridge/walkway and stairs used to access it. She is a rescue and who knows what is in her past. 

We headed back and after showering & changing, we headed downtown. The owner of our favorite wine bar back home had suggested we visit SoDo Urbanworks. And boy was it in an industrial area, South of the stadiums. 

19D0BD1B-AB15-4387-AAD8-EC3D570F2C7D.jpeg.3f049ce2269dcb9db283d1ac84fca92c.jpeg

An innovative concept that several Washington wineries and eateries used to share their products in the downtown area. The U-shaped complex originally housed quite a few wineries and a couple of eateries. Some were no longer there. Others were not open on the day we visited. We walked around and found that Rotie Wineries was open, though just setting up.

7A632BCF-8374-49C5-9C96-321880F9A82A.jpeg.779b76134e00053c6a7923b76151836e.jpeg

C026A6A0-E4C8-4FF3-8F77-2E278AE4CAC3.jpeg.2e049b3667e5764723779046d6a8bcf1.jpeg

Teresa greeted us and walked us through a variety of wines. If we purchased wine, the tasting was free. Otherwise it was $30 for 8 wines. We settled on two wines to bring back as thank you gifts to our hostess & host. Not only was Teresa knowledgeable about her wine, she fixed my sunglasses which had lost a pin!

Now we needed to eat something. 😎  The only place open happened to be Nine Pies Pizzeria.  We lucked out because they had a wide variety of really delicious food.  We shared an Antipasto plate and stuffed mushrooms and each had a great salad.  Perfect. 

We moved on to Latta Wine. We enjoyed a variety of six different wines. And perhaps for the first time, I zeroed in on a Syrah. With a twist. The 97% Syrah was softened by 3% Viognier!  A great concept.  Two bottles of the 2017 Dana Dibble Syrah will make their way across to Florida, once Fall is here to stay.

We went back to Rotie to pick up our wine and order an Uber to take us back. All of our Uber drivers had been very personable and we enjoyed talking with them.

By the time we got back, our hostess was home. The plan was for a “girl’s night” at Chez Phinney a wine bar not far from where they lived. It offered a unique experience. Customers traded a credit card for a wine card. They then inserted the cards into one of two cases of wine, each holding eight different wines. One case of reds.

126F47CA-84C0-4259-BFF0-5242C2168C91.jpeg.e92a89bf79411cfb8ea8b6cd2d1db72d.jpeg

The other of whites and rosés.

25A08AD9-4D03-40A6-982E-96BFFD36BA8A.jpeg.fcb58889e517ec7947d93aa25c405908.jpeg

Customers could opt for a 2 oz taste, a 3 oz pour, or a 5 oz pour. And the choice determined the price. We met my friend’s oldest niece there and had fun touring the different selections. We shared a wonderful charcuterie board, which was a perfect accompaniment.

I tried an “orange blend” but was drawn to a GMS from Kerloo, a Washington winery. We stayed for a couple glasses and then settled our bill. 

We literally walked next door to a great pizza place and enjoyed two wonderful pizzas. By then our host had finished his meeting and he joined us. It was a great meal. 

We headed back, dropped my friend’s niece off, and then went back. Where Bella greeted us. We stayed up a bit chatting, but we’re in bed by 11. And slept really well. 

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

The saga continues….

September 15th

Seattle

After a wonderful night’s sleep, I got up dressed. Headed outside for coffee in the Oasis. My host and hostess had to leave fairly early for meetings downtown, so we had time to share one cup of coffee with them. They warned us that the place we planned to visit in the afternoon was in a very industrial area of the city. Boy were they right!

After they left, we enjoyed a breakfast of yogurt, berries and pecans! Ooh, and more coffee. Before leaving our hostess gave us an alternative path down to Carkeek Park, so we decided to take Bella with us again. She had forgiven us for “breaking in” last night. 😎

We headed out on a cool and cloudy morning .it was perfect walking weather. Today’s path, though steep, did not have as many loose rocks as yesterday’s. It did not take us long to reach the park’s road which brought us almost immediately to the parking lot, playground and beach. We walked around a bit and enjoyed a group from a local Daycare playing on the slides and swings. We did not get down to the beach, because Bella does not like the bridge/walkway and stairs used to access it. She is a rescue and who knows what is in her past. 

We headed back and after showering & changing headed downtown. The owner of our favorite wine bar back home had suggested we visit SoDo Urbanworks.

An innovative concept that several Washington wineries and eateries used to share their products in the downtown area. The U-shaped complex originally housed quite a few wineries and a couple of eateries. Some were no longer there. Others were not open on the day we visited. We walked around and found that Rotie Wineries was open, though just setting up.

Teresa greeted us and walked us through a variety of wines. If we purchased wine, the tasting was free. Otherwise it was $30 for 8 wines. We settled on two wines to bring back as thank you gifts to our hostess & host. Not only was Teresa knowledgeable about her wine, sh fixed my sunglasses which had lost a pin!

Now we needed to eat something. 😎  The only place open happened to be Nine Pies Pizzeria.  We lucked out because they had a wide variety of food.  We shared an Antipasto  plate and stuffed mushrooms and each had a great salad.  Perfect. 

We moved on to Latta Wine. We enjoyed a variety of six different wines. And perhaps for the first time, I zeroed in on a Syrah. With a twist. The 97% Syrah was softened by 3% Viognier!  A great concept.  Two bottles of the 2017 Dana Dibble Syrah will make their way across to Florida, once Fall is here to stay.

We went back to Rotie to pick up our wine and order an Uber to take us back. All of our Uber drivers had been very personable and we enjoyed talking with them.

By the time we got back, our hostess was home. The plan was for a “girl’s night” at Chez Phinney a wine bar not far from where they lived. It offered a unique experience. Customers traded a credit card for a wine card. They then inserted the cards into one of two cases of wine, each holding eight different wines. One case of reds.

Customers could opt for a 2 oz taste, a 3 oz pour, or a 5 oz pour. And the choice determined the price. We met my friend’s oldest niece there and had fun touring the different selections. We shared a wonderful charcuterie board, which was a perfect accompaniment.

I tried an “orange blend” but was drawn to a GMS from Kerloo, a Washington winery. We stayed for a couple glasses and then settled our bill. 

We literally walked next door to a great pizza place and enjoyed two wonderful pizzas. By then our host had finished his meeting and he joined us. It was a great meal. 

We headed back, dropped my friend’s niece off, and then went back. Where Bella greeted us. We stayed up a bit chatting, but we’re in bed by 11. And slept really well. 

Seems you made the most of your time during your cruise/trip.  I was interested to read about the wine bar you went to.  We visited the same type of concept in Lisbon in 2018.  In case anyone is interested I found this information online.

The Lisbon Wines of Portugal Tasting Room, commonly known as the Ogival Room of Lisbon, is located in the west wing of Comércio Square, also known as the Terreiro do Paço.

That is the plaza along the water which most of us pass by while walking around in Lisbon.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI9qFaYfU5vUsts9MJm5Hni?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1526135566

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJtRyBCFHsKkSfN_sc5HiKN?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1526084926

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVI_4cUDJwQfVMvEwyuRcmPM?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1526084920

Thanks for posting your review for us!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

Greetings on what was a sunny morning, but becoming cloudy, rain is forecast later in the day, also snow.!

Thanks for the locations of the Holland America Line fleet and the daily news.

We have been to Fremantle a few times,  by ship,   have stayed in Perth a few times.

@cunnorl  if you do not have a replacement  excursion planned, Fremantle is an easy town to walk around.   The Railway Station is very close to where the ships berth, if you wish to travel into Perth.

@Cruzin Terri Congratulations on your 41 year anniversary.

Am off  for a walk before the weather changes.

• Like 16

7 hours ago, summer slope said:

Was going to get my shingles shot last week but waited because of the hurricane. Went this morning and they don’t have any. Lost power and all the vaccines were lost. 

darn.  I confess, I never think about that in our storms.  What a shame and a waste.  Hope they can replace it soon and you can get yours quickly.  🤞 

4 hours ago, dfish said:

Join us in the lobby at 6:30.  We're going in search of onion soup and crepes.

4 hours ago, NextOne said:

Safe travels! I'll be there Friday.

8 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Bon Voyage to all of you.  You’ll be in a very special port  in just a bit of time 😉. Not sure what all your plans are but I will message Debbie.

8CDA5D47-0606-4E71-99DA-A37F269029ED.jpeg.888f2ded1382189e841068c06bcdb4ee.jpeg

• Like 12

Good evening.  Today got away from me.  What was to be a 1 to 2 hour job, washing the cars and golf cart turned into anout a five hour chore.  To begin, we finally decided to replace the very old hose that had a samll hole with the new one we bought in June.  That sounded like a simple job, and it would have been if the fittings on the new hose had not been oversized.  We finally found a way to get everything hooked up and not leaking very much.

Then things were going well when a neighbor stopped by.   Let's just say he likes to talk and gossip more than I do.  😁  We had a nice visit, but I was later finishing.  At least the cars look good.

Tomorrow, I'm not sure when I'll get to the Daily.  I'll be heading to Waco early vor some retail therapy.

@Sharon in AZ Sharon, @dfish Debbie, and @NextOne Edi, safe travels  and enjoy your cruise.  Friday night's plan sounds like a winner.

@USN59-79 i enjoyed the information about the Beringer Winery .  DH and I visited the winery in 1997.  We used to drink their white zinfandel, but now, DH's white zinfandel comes as cardbordeaux.

@cat shepard  Ann. I really ejoyed your saga.  You both made the most of your time.

@durangoscots  Susan, now nice that you are getting much needed rain.

@Cruzin Terri  Terri, an early HAPPY 41ST ANNIVERSARY!

Lenda

• Like 11

2 hours ago, cat shepard said:

The saga continues….

September 15th

Seattle

After a wonderful night’s sleep, I got up, dressed. Headed outside for coffee in the Oasis. My host and hostess had to leave fairly early for meetings downtown, so we had time to share one cup of coffee with them. They warned us that the place we planned to visit in the afternoon was in a very industrial area of the city. Boy were they right!

We headed back and after showering & changing, we headed downtown. The owner of our favorite wine bar back home had suggested we visit SoDo Urbanworks. And boy was it in an industrial area, South of the stadiums. 

Teresa greeted us and walked us through a variety of wines. If we purchased wine, the tasting was free. Otherwise it was $30 for 8 wines. We settled on two wines to bring back as thank you gifts to our hostess & host. Not only was Teresa knowledgeable about her wine, she fixed my sunglasses which had lost a pin!

Now we needed to eat something. 😎  The only place open happened to be Nine Pies Pizzeria.  We lucked out because they had a wide variety of really delicious food.  We shared an Antipasto plate and stuffed mushrooms and each had a great salad.  Perfect. 

Ann, I have really enjoyed reading about your cruise and travels. How did you find the place in Seattle?  Were they friends?  Sounds wonderful!  

26 minutes ago, kazu said:

darn.  I confess, I never think about that in our storms.  What a shame and a waste.  Hope they can replace it soon and you can get yours quickly.  🤞 

Bon Voyage to all of you.  You’ll be in a very special port  in just a bit of time 😉. Not sure what all your plans are but I will message Debbie.

8CDA5D47-0606-4E71-99DA-A37F269029ED.jpeg.888f2ded1382189e841068c06bcdb4ee.jpeg

Thank you Jacqui!

• Like 7

Good evening.

It was a busy day.  Plane was delayed in Miami but not too much.  Something about loading luggage.

I watched an episode of Call the Midwife on the plane.  I downloaded the whole Season 11 from Netflix on to my IPad.  I watched it back in the Spring but missed some episodes because we were cruising. 

All went well with immigration and customs.  I really liked watching my IPhone telling me that my luggage was about to show up on the carousel.  As soon as it got there it would say “With you”.  The wheelchair pusher and porter thought it was real cute.  They never even heard of it here.

We got settled in and unpacked.  Had a welcome drink.  Then we took care of  our rental car.  We were so warm, I was dripping and really felt good after a very nice shower.  A big change from the mess in my house right now.

For dinner, Jim had roast chicken, which was very good, with baby vegetables and potatoes.  I had jumbo prawns with sautéed spinach and balsamic sautéed mushrooms.  Both meals were very good but way too much to eat.  

I am now sitting in the Living room of our suite in my jammies and writing this.  Then it is off to bed.  I had a long day.  Woke up at 3:45 am this morning.  A very long day.

Tomorrow I have arranged to exchange money with my private banker.  Better rate.

Then it is off to the supermarket to buy a nice big bottle of my favorite rum punch.  We have a little refrigerator in the room.

I am getting a facial and a massage.  Hopefully tomorrow or the next day.  My back is hurting a lot.

Need to rest and de stress.

It is good to be back in Barbados.  We have not been on this island for 3 years.  Before that it was a yearly ritual every spring for 39 years.  It was like coming home. The only difference this time is that we no longer have our timeshare and will not be seeing all of those friends. We will get to see many of the islanders that we have gotten to know over the years.

i never found my earring so one of the things we plan to do is get a new set of tanzanite.  I don’t think we will be able to replicate what I had, but I am sure we will find something very nice.

i hope everyone had a nice day.

I am tired and need to go to bed.

Good night and God Bless,

Terri

• Like 17

10 hours ago, erewhon said:

Greetings on what was a sunny morning, but becoming cloudy, rain is forecast later in the day, also snow.!

Thanks for the locations of the Holland America Line fleet and the daily news.

We have been to Fremantle a few times,  by ship,   have stayed in Perth a few times.

@cunnorl  if you do not have a replacement  excursion planned, Fremantle is an easy town to walk around.   The Railway Station is very close to where the ships berth, if you wish to travel into Perth

@erewhon Thanks for the recommendation. We will be there for 2 days. DH spent a lot of time there about 20 years ago for work and is anxious to see the changes. So we are going to take the train and then do a Hop on Hop off. DD is a full time wheelchair user so sometimes we have to get creative. Both of those state they are accessible. Thank you again

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Ann, I have really enjoyed reading about your cruise and travels. How did you find the place in Seattle?  Were they friends?  Sounds wonderful!  

Thank you Jacqui!

Sharon not sure which place you are asking about, so….

we stayed with my friend’s brother & SIL.

my local wine bar suggested we visit SoDo Urbanworks
my friend’s niece suggest Chez Phinney

• Like 1