I love the new muster drill, but...

sonomaphil

51 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Thank the medallion.  At least there is some good.

I do not see the new muster drill procedure as being related to the medallion, except that we no longer need to check in with a crew member when we visit the muster station.

I think the new procedure is so much better!  I'm very grateful not to have to be in a crowded room with a ton of people and watching it on TV in my cabin is preferable in every way.  I don't mind the quick check in with my muster station nor the fact that is was far less crowded on the elevators and stairs.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

I'm a big fan of the new method. I really hated those old muster drills.

Me too. The new muster drill is great background noise to unpack by.

Just don't leave your room while it's on. I went into the hallway to talk to the steward and the system picked up I'd left my cabin and we needed to replay it!

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, leck57 said:

Me too. The new muster drill is great background noise to unpack by.

Just don't leave your room while it's on. I went into the hallway to talk to the steward and the system picked up I'd left my cabin and we needed to replay it!

We did that too last Fall! Started the thing playing and then went off somewhere without thinking. Can't get away with anything anymore. 😂

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

I do not see the new muster drill procedure as being related to the medallion, except that we no longer need to check in with a crew member when we visit the muster station.

The medallion App is what allows you to view the video on your phone instead of in your cabin.  

The location function of the Medallion system is how they verify that you are in your cabin when the view is played.

On 10/12/2022 at 3:07 PM, Mike45LC said:

Assuming that you are watching the drill video in your cabin, the medallion is what senses that multiple people are watching in your cabin and everybody "gets credit" for "watching"....even if you are busy unpacking or getting your cabin situated.

On 10/12/2022 at 3:54 PM, leck57 said:

On 10/12/2022 at 4:17 PM, Sea Hag said:

We did that too last Fall! Started the thing playing and then went off somewhere without thinking. Can't get away with anything anymore. 😂

On 10/12/2022 at 5:08 PM, ldtr said:

The location function of the Medallion system is how they verify that you are in your cabin when the view is played.

11 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Assuming that you are watching the drill video in your cabin, the medallion is what senses that multiple people are watching in your cabin and everybody "gets credit" for "watching"....even if you are busy unpacking or getting your cabin situated.

All that is verified is that the Medallion is in the cabin. You might be elsewhere. (Just be sure you have someone who can let you back into the cabin.)

• Haha 2

On 10/14/2022 at 3:38 AM, caribill said:

All that is verified is that the Medallion is in the cabin. You might be elsewhere. (Just be sure you have someone who can let you back into the cabin.)

Just leave your spouse and the medallion in the cabin while you're gone. 

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

Just leave your spouse and the medallion in the cabin while you're gone. 

Or take his/her Medallion when you leave the cabin while he/she watches the safety video.

System will think he/she has not seen it and he/she will have to watch it again.

• Haha 1

I don't miss DH "reminding" me we have to go to muster drill when I would rather sit on the balcony with the drink I just got from the Piazza bar and listen to the surrounding passengers commenting on the size of their balconies.  It's a different chorus now from the days of Grand ships and Caribe balconies. 🙂

On 10/14/2022 at 2:15 AM, SiliconCruiser said:

I equate the new muster drill to the safety briefing on airlines.  First-time cruisers will be written off as necessary casualties if the forbidden should occur.

I equate the new muster drill to "writing off" a lot more than first time cruisers, since the crew is deprived of realistic training, and things could go sideways real quickly.  The old muster was beneficial to both passengers and crew.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

I equate the new muster drill to "writing off" a lot more than first time cruisers, since the crew is deprived of realistic training, and things could go sideways real quickly.  The old muster was beneficial to both passengers and crew.

Hopefully the crew still has dedicated drills to keep them up to speed. Of course they wouldn't have the realism of the massive cluster mess of the actual passengers being present.

14 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Hopefully the crew still has dedicated drills to keep them up to speed. Of course they wouldn't have the realism of the massive cluster mess of the actual passengers being present.

Sure, during the weekly fire and boat drill, crew will be sent to their stations at the stairwells and passageways, and to muster locations, but there will be no one to direct.  The actual "herding of the cats" is what is needed to make the training realistic, and realistic training is what leads to "muscle memory" taking over from conscious thought in an emergency, overriding a crew member's natural self-preservation instinct.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Thrak said:

@chengkp75 says it better, but it comes down to making training as realistic as possible is important. And I suppose the passengers also have to learn to listen to the crew.