Compensation for Covid Isolation

During our recent 8-night Vision of the Seas cruise in the Mediterranean (Early afternoon of Day 5 while docked in Ibiza), my wife self-reported to the medical office with a sore throat and a positive self-test for Covid.  She was re-tested, then sent to an "Isolation" area on Deck 3 and restricted to an OV cabin, by herself, for the remainder of the cruise.  She missed the final three nights of the cruise...and was released at disembarkation.

I really didn't think too much of this until they told me we would receive a credit for the time in isolation.  I thought "great".  

Well. some time later, we recieved a credit for a whopping $110!!!  I guess something is better than nothing, but, why only $110???

Well, here's the story:

1) Somehow, since my wife didn't get sent to isolation until early afternoon on Day 5, they didn't count that night...not a "full 24 hours", I guess.

2) They didn't count taxes and fees, just "cruise fare".  Fair enough, I guess.

3) We purchased the cruise during some sort of sale promotion--where it was "Second passenger 75% off"...and, unfortunately, I was designated as the first passenger, my wife as second passenger, so MY cruise fare accounted for the overwhelming majority of the fare and hers only $440...even though we all know that pricing is a fiction.  Had we designated the passenger numbers the other way around, we'd be getting three times the credit...and 

4) We originally booked an OV cabin at a low price, then used a well above minimum bid on Royal Up to upgrade to a premium balcony.  Apparently, that doesn't count.

1 minute ago, goldfish65 said:

What would you consider to he a fair compensation?

Seriously?  I really didn't expect anything...

But as long as Royal Caribbean wants to compensate people for this (which I believe is a smart PR move), they should take the TOTAL cruise fare (yes, they can deduct the fees and taxes), divide it by two (number of passengers) and divide that by 8 (number of cruise nights)...then multiply that per diem per person fare by the number of nights missed in isolation (in this case, three).  In this case, that would have come to approximately $388.  Still a fraction of the total cruise price, but based on actual days in isolation for an even distribution of the total cruise fare paid to the line.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bruin Steve said:

But as long as Royal Caribbean wants to compensate people for this (which I believe is a smart PR move), they should take the TOTAL cruise fare (yes, they can deduct the fees and taxes), divide it by two (number of passengers) and divide that by 8 (number of cruise nights)...then multiply that per diem per person fare by the number of nights missed in isolation (in this case, three).  In this case, that would have come to approximately $388.  Still a fraction of the total cruise price, but based on actual days in isolation for an even distribution of the total cruise fare paid to the line.

I would imagine they computed it based solely on the figures on your invoice. If you look at the breakdown, it lists the full price for pax #1 and then lists pax #2 with the 75% off.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't get this need for "compensation".  No one gets it for the flu (which is highly contagious right now, moreso than most, if not all viruses).  The fact they gave you anything for something that is not their fault is amazing.   The ship did not give her covid.  The fact it was day 5 means she could have caught it anywhere prior to embarking or a prior port.  She self reported  which was her/your choice.  At this point,, unless I was really very sick I wouldn't.  You got a credit, right?  Personally, I would take what they gave me since they really don't have to do anything as it's not their fault she got sick.  It's not anyone's fault. It's called LIFE.

Edited by BND
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, BND said:

I don't get this need for "compensation".  No one gets it for the flu (which is highly contagious right now, moreso than most, if not all viruses).  The fact they gave you anything for something that is not their fault is amazing.   The ship did not give her covid.  The fact it was day 5 means she could have caught it anywhere prior to embarking or a prior port.  She self reported  which was her/your choice.  At this point,, unless I was really very sick I wouldn't.  You got a credit, right?  Personally, I would take what they gave me since they really don't have to do anything as it's not their fault she got sick.  It's not anyone's fault. It's called LIFE.

It has long been their policy when they quarantine you for norovirus that you are, indeed, compensated on a per diem basis.

7 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

It has long been their policy when they quarantine you for norovirus that you are, indeed, compensated on a per diem basis.

Norovirus isn't the topic.  I still don't get it.  People get sick.  It's part of life.  I literally just got over who knows what.  I had a 99-100 deg temp the last two days.  I visited my parents who live 3 hours from me in So VA and I returned home two days ago  and developed a temp in the afternoon on Fri.  I tested neg for Covid.  No idea what I had or how/where I caught it.  Doesn't really matter.  No more than the many viruses I've had over the 62 years of my life.  I expect no compensation for anything I have ever caught in my life.  

Edited by BND

On 10/14/2022 at 11:56 AM, Bruin Steve said:

During our recent 8-night Vision of the Seas cruise in the Mediterranean (Early afternoon of Day 5 while docked in Ibiza), my wife self-reported to the medical office with a sore throat and a positive self-test for Covid.  She was re-tested, then sent to an "Isolation" area on Deck 3 and restricted to an OV cabin, by herself, for the remainder of the cruise.  She missed the final three nights of the cruise...and was released at disembarkation.

I really didn't think too much of this until they told me we would receive a credit for the time in isolation.  I thought "great".  

Well. some time later, we recieved a credit for a whopping $110!!!  I guess something is better than nothing, but, why only $110???

Well, here's the story:

1) Somehow, since my wife didn't get sent to isolation until early afternoon on Day 5, they didn't count that night...not a "full 24 hours", I guess.

2) They didn't count taxes and fees, just "cruise fare".  Fair enough, I guess.

3) We purchased the cruise during some sort of sale promotion--where it was "Second passenger 75% off"...and, unfortunately, I was designated as the first passenger, my wife as second passenger, so MY cruise fare accounted for the overwhelming majority of the fare and hers only $440...even though we all know that pricing is a fiction.  Had we designated the passenger numbers the other way around, we'd be getting three times the credit...and 

4) We originally booked an OV cabin at a low price, then used a well above minimum bid on Royal Up to upgrade to a premium balcony.  Apparently, that doesn't count.

On 10/14/2022 at 1:53 PM, Bruin Steve said:

I had an analogous situation. (though sort of in reverse)  There was compensation given for a cruise cut short.  Since I was primary on the reservation, the balcony discount was listed on MY line of the invoice, thus making it look like I paid less.  They gave me smaller compensation.  I raised the issue with RC, and my compensation was recalculated.

Perhaps you should try again.  🙂 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Agree. Couple months ago Daughter even got a day for sinus infection that wasnt Covid

53 minutes ago, BND said:

Norovirus isn't the topic.  I still don't get it.  People get sick.  It's part of life.  I literally just got over who knows what.  I had a 99-100 deg temp the last two days.  I visited my parents who live 3 hours from me in So VA and I returned home two days ago  and developed a temp in the afternoon on Fri.  I tested neg for Covid.  No idea what I had or how/where I caught it.  Doesn't really matter.  No more than the many viruses I've had over the 62 years of my life.  I expect no compensation for anything I have ever caught in my life.  

You brought in other afflictions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BND said:

Compensation does encourage people to self report.  If not, highly contagious viruses such as COVID or Norovirus could quickly spread from one person to hundreds including crew members.  This would cause more of an issue than giving someone a few hundred dollars as compensation even if it's just a good will gesture.  The negative PR might hinder new reservations and cause some people to cancel.  

• Like 4

Thanks for the report.  If you think they should offer something different  than I would ask for it in writing in a short email/letter.  Maybe good will OBC on your next cruise.  Personally, I think I would make a case for a refund of both fares for the final 3 days.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, crusinthrough said:

Compensation does encourage people to self report.  If not, highly contagious viruses such as COVID or Norovirus could quickly spread from one person to hundreds including crew members.    

Exactly, with the "me, me and me first" mentality people have today, how many would self report if they knew they would loose both money, vacation days and also be "locked up" for the rest of the cruise? Personally I would look what the insurance could offer.