Mariner Reception

jhsocal

1 hour ago, dfish said:

It used to be 3 star and above, but according to the HAL website, it is now 4 star and above.  I didn't get invited to any reception on the Nieuw Statendam.  

Debbie we got our invitation about 5 hours after the fact (on both the 8th and again on the 22nd). 

12 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Debbie we got our invitation about 5 hours after the fact (on both the 8th and again on the 22nd). 

Me too!  I’m on Nieuw Amsterdam and on the first boarding day in Vancouver I got on at 2:30-ish. The reception was at 2:00!!  Too early on boarding day I think. It was for 4 and 5 star people. No big deal for me personally though. I probably wouldn’t have gone anyway.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

2 hours ago, oakridger said:

Me too!  I’m on Nieuw Amsterdam and on the first boarding day in Vancouver I got on at 2:30-ish. The reception was at 2:00!!  Too early on boarding day I think. It was for 4 and 5 star people. No big deal for me personally though. I probably wouldn’t have gone anyway.  

On 8/3 on the Niew Statendam my stepfather and I received an invitation to a Mariners reception that ended I think by 3 PM. We did not get to our cabins until after 3 PM.  In the past on the Veendam, we received invitations to Mariners luncheons on embarkation day.  We never got to our cabins before 2 PM and luncheons were 

over by then. The only time I went to a Mariners luncheon was on the old Rotterdam

in 2018. It was after the ship left Montreal for Boston. We were already on the ship 

because we had gone Boston to Montreal. 

3 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Gotta love it.  Did you ever get your own drink coupons?   According to the website 3,4, and 5 star Mariners are supposed to get them.  I didn't get one which is ok.  I did get tiles though.  My steward gave me four of them.

44 minutes ago, BetsyS. said:

I received an invitation to a Mariners reception that ended I think by 3 PM

It is held very early during Embarkation Day.  Whether one receives an invitation or not, if you can find where it is held, GO!, is my suggestion.  Even President's Club members, on b2b cruises do not always receive an invitation at the start of a new new cruise.  

3 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I have never received drink coupons when the invitation arrived.  

It’s new.  With a lot of people that have the have it all package it’s of no enticement.  It for one type of drink that has no appeal to me.  I’m not a fan of super sweet drinks. 

• Thanks 1

From our two cruises since the unpleasantness:

We've gotten the coupons for the free Mariner Cocktail.  It's a nice drink but not sure what it is. We could use the coupons anytime during our cruise. And we did. 

We've gotten an invite to the Mariners reception.....It was on embarkation day (at Billboard Onboard on one cruise and the Crow's Nest on another) and involved getting a free drink of which we did enjoy.

We have 3 Stars on our bellies so, according to the Mariner benefits chart, we will no longer be invited to the Mariners reception but we will still be granted the free Mariner Cocktail coupon. 

I'm good with whatever and glad to be boarding a 'dam ship.

For those that want to read the fine print, this is the Mariner benefit chart that spells this out....as well as all the other Mariner benefits by belly stars. 

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/mariner-society.html

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, FlaMariner said:

We have 3 Stars on our bellies so, according to the Mariner benefits chart, we will no longer be invited to the Mariners reception but we will still be granted the free Mariner Cocktail coupon. 

Thanks for your response.  "Coupons" do not replace a Reception in my opinion.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, oakridger said:

Big apology to everyone!! 🫣. I’m mistaken about the day of the Mariner get together for drinks!! I’m packing my case now and came across the actual invitation…..I misread the date when I first got it, it was the day AFTER embarkation!!  I’m embarrassed to report false info to everyone. 😔   ~ Nancy 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, oakridger said:

Big apology to everyone!! 🫣. I’m mistaken about the day of the Mariner get together for drinks!! I’m packing my case now and came across the actual invitation…..I misread the date when I first got it, it was the day AFTER embarkation!!  I’m embarrassed to report false info to everyone. 😔   ~ Nancy 

No biggie.  It was nice of you to clarify.  I find when some people make a mistake not only do they not apologize but they justify it by making up things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

We've gotten the coupons for the free Mariner Cocktail.  It's a nice drink but not sure what it is. We could use the coupons anytime during our cruise. And we did. 

Mariner Cocktail: prosecco, Elderberry liqueur, splash of club soda

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dfish said:

Gotta love it.  Did you ever get your own drink coupons?   According to the website 3,4, and 5 star Mariners are supposed to get them.  I didn't get one which is ok.  I did get tiles though.  My steward gave me four of them.

We did get coupons for “Mariner Cocktails” today but they said they’re for doing a back to back. I didn’t even know about the other drink coupons lol. Did get more tiles too. 

2 hours ago, jhsocal said:

Thank you for all the responses ,answers seem to vary from cruise to cruise. This seems to be true on various issues like boarding experience, cabin service, etc.

Consistent inconsistent cruise experience has become the "norm" for HAL cruises.  But, HAL is not alone in this regard.  Check out the Silverseas and Seabourn Message Boards for their guests' experiences.  

Mariner Cocktail varies, as noted. 

Early this year the Koningsdam had the "real thing" with the elderberry liquor, mint and orange peel. Later, we were given just a glass of champagne. I pointed out what they served before and was given a full liquor glass of the elderberry liquor to mix in. 

Noordam made it with the elderberry liquor but without the orange peel and mint.

Back on the Koningsdam just lately they were doing it "right" again.

Edited by SilvertoGold
  • Like 1

🇲🇬Are we reading this right that HAL discontinued the Mariner lunch   with the giving out of  tiles  .Then if this is true  on all ships in the fleet  how are the tiles given to us ? 

Personally , we don't ; like  this cut  back  . 

Edited by mcrcruiser

12 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

🇲🇬Are we reading this right that HAL discontinued the Mariner lunch   with the giving out of  tiles  .Then if this is true  on all ships in the fleet  how are the tiles given to us ? 

Personally , we don't ; like  this cut  back  . 

They are delivered to your cabin.

• Thanks 1