Do you need a letter from doctor to cruise if you are 70?

delliemd

Am in my mid 70s, cruise on a very regular basis (with many different lines) and have never heard of such a thing.  We have never needed any kind of doctors or medical letter and that would include long cruises, expedition cruises, etc.

Hank

• Like 1

I dimly remember such a suggestion at the very beginning of Covid, before everything shut down.  Something about needing a letter for over 70 with diabetes, or high BP, etc.   It was to start a day after I was to sail.  Was to.  Cruise cancelled.  When things restarted, no mention was made of it.  EM

• Like 1

Just now, Hlitner said:

Am in my mid 70s, cruise on a very regular basis (with many different lines) and have never heard of such a thing.  We have never needed any kind of doctors or medical letter and that would include long cruises, expedition cruises, etc.

Hank

This is our experience as well:  Never heard of such a thing.

Almost all of our cruising (and all of the recent cruising - and other major travel as well) has been since DH turned 70, and I followed not that much later.

Indeed, it was the approaching The Big Seven-O that gave us the kick that *now* is the time to start those trips.

The only place we've been asked about health or a physician note/medical records is when one of us wanted to renew MedJetAssist (medevac) after reaching 75.  However, that was approved in less than a week, with nothing other than a short form from the physician and one from the traveler.

Even for third-party travel insurance, there has been no medical letter needed.  One does need to be "fit to travel" on the date the insurance is started, but that's not age-linked.   And the rates do go up with age.  (Cruise-line insurance may not have the different rates for age, but we never get that, so we can't say for sure.)

GC

You only need a letter from a physician to cruise on Holland America at age 70 if you are pregnant. "Guests with questions about traveling on a vessel while pregnant should refer to the “Pregnancy” portion of the Frequently Asked Questions (external link: https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/faq.shipboard-life.can-i-still-cruise-if-pregnant.html)"

Edited by whogo
  • Haha 5

17 minutes ago, whogo said:

You only need a letter from a physician to cruise on Holland America at age 70 if you are pregnant. "Guests with questions about traveling on a vessel while pregnant should refer to the “Pregnancy” portion of the Frequently Asked Questions (external link: https://www.hollandamerica.com/en_US/faq.shipboard-life.can-i-still-cruise-if-pregnant.html)"

Now that would be something to see.  A 70+ pregnant person (saying woman is not politically correct).

Hank

37 minutes ago, whogo said:

When my now husband and I were preparing to marry in our late 60's, (each after 40+ years of marriage) I told my doctor that we planned on having 5 children between us. With a blushed but dead pan face he asked how that was going to happen. I told him that is where his expertise becomes important. He lost it. 

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, spirit rev said:

When my now husband and I were preparing to marry in our late 60's, (each after 40+ years of marriage) I told my doctor that we planned on having 5 children between us. With a blushed but dead pan face he asked how that was going to happen. I told him that is where his expertise becomes important. He lost it. 

😁

1 hour ago, spirit rev said:

You wanted quintuplets? Was it a fertility doctor you saw?

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

You wanted quintuplets? Was it a fertility doctor you saw?

No, just my primary care. After 4 years we now have 3 "children" - Love Cat, Devil Dog and Chimpie along with their Nanny, Stanley, the Princess Bear. 

Yes, they do occasionally cruise with us, much to the amusement of the room steward. 

2 hours ago, spirit rev said:

No, just my primary care. After 4 years we now have 3 "children" - Love Cat, Devil Dog and Chimpie along with their Nanny, Stanley, the Princess Bear. 

Yes, they do occasionally cruise with us, much to the amusement of the room steward. 

🤦‍♂️, so the doctor was a veterinarian. 😉 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, spirit rev said:

Heh.

Tiny "Moosie" travels everywhere with us.  He got lost in the linens in Milan several years ago, and it was silly how upset we were.  However, the hotel emailed a few weeks later that he had been found in the clean laundry, only slightly worse for wear.  He was FedEx'd back to us in time for our Alaska cruise. 😁

We now also take a slightly larger moose, "Big Boy".

The stewards often decorate them or leave them in funny positions/locations, such as with a towel animal or such.

There was one CC member whose avitar was a porthole with a couple of little stuffed animals facing outward.  That is, of course, how Moosie and Big Boy like travel... to have a good view!

(Yes, yes, we also bring the kids and grands on some vacations, including cruises...!)

GC