Buffet on Summit

HardyVA

42 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

probably will avoid buffets or try to be the first one on line.  I like the idea of the staff serving the food.  Avoids those who eat on line, then lick their fingers then touch another utentil.

That’s disgusting, but I’ve seen it done.  Thanks for your input.  

You can minimize the problem by scooping up items with silverware rather than the serving utensils.  

you are welcome to bring your own disposible gloves if you are worried about exposure

you could even go so far as to bring your own serving utensils from home but that might be going too far.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WestLakeGirl said:

You can minimize the problem by scooping up items with silverware rather than the serving utensils.  

you are welcome to bring your own disposible gloves if you are worried about exposure

you could even go so far as to bring your own serving utensils from home but that might be going too far.

Just easier to dine in a restaurant and avoid the situation - while people might still handle your food- you don't see them licking their fingers and handling your food!

The behavior of passengers at the buffet on Summit was more patient and I saw no disgusting behavior.  We usually had fish grilled and put on our plate.  And this cruise was 100% full.

The behavior causing issues was passengers coughing and hacking.  Way too many.  And if someone said something about covering their mouth; the response was a version of mind your own #%#$ business.

Thus not getting sick on board IMO is a function of moving away from a person who appears I'll and doesn't suggest it is allergies.  We got up from our table in the MDR mid meal and said we needed to be away from . . . 

If you are concerned to the point where you want passengers to wear gloves in the buffet it might be too soon for you to cruise.  There will be times when a person who is hacking is beside you in a confined space.

5 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

The behavior of passengers at the buffet on Summit was more patient and I saw no disgusting behavior.  We usually had fish grilled and put on our plate.  And this cruise was 100% full.

The behavior causing issues was passengers coughing and hacking.  Way too many.  And if someone said something about covering their mouth; the response was a version of mind your own #%#$ business.

Thus not getting sick on board IMO is a function of moving away from a person who appears I'll and doesn't suggest it is allergies.  We got up from our table in the MDR mid meal and said we needed to be away from . . . 

If you are concerned to the point where you want passengers to wear gloves in the buffet it might be too soon for you to cruise.  There will be times when a person who is hacking is beside you in a confined space.

DH & I travel in RS or PS but we love OV.  Since we drive I-95 and fly a small plane, I guess absolute safety is not imperative with us 🙂

• Like 2

6 hours ago, WestLakeGirl said:

This could cause cross contamination issues... please don't do this!

• Like 1

we are taking disposable gloves for the buffet and will pull off inside out after we get our food and use a new one when we go back for seconds of anything. Just watch how many lick fingers while eating or pick their teeth and go for more food!! I was concerned about this before covid.

We all need to protect ourselves if we are not wanting bugs

Overall, there are way tooooo many slobs at the buffet who could care less about being courteous to others. (Just watch them ).

We avoid the " Slugfest on 14 ", especially at breakfast and lunch and prefer the MDR and/or the Spa Cafe in the Solarium.

We do enjoy the OVC at 4pm -- scones, finger sandwiches, pastries--- and very few passengers.

Nothing will change, no matter what -- so, take your chances.

Ya can't teach " class ".

8 hours ago, gold1953 said:

we are taking disposable gloves for the buffet and will pull off inside out after we get our food and use a new one when we go back for seconds of anything. Just watch how many lick fingers while eating or pick their teeth and go for more food!! I was concerned about this before covid.

We all need to protect ourselves if we are not wanting bugs

Last Cruise I to a cloth napkin and wrapped around my hand to avoid touching.     Luckily I was just having a salad but when got done found you had to grab a jug of dressing.  

I hate to sound like a gearmaphobe but in my years of cruising I've had Covid as well as Norovirus.   I try to never touch hand railings, elevator buttons etc. and wash and sanitize often.

Why don't those who are so concerned about pathogens in the Oceanview collect their food, set it down on their table and then go wash their hands before eating? I assume that they themselves didn't put their fingers in their mouths while collecting their food so any germs that inadvertently ended up on their hands should no longer be a problem. 

• Like 5

We cruised in August on Infinity where we were asked repeatedly by servers if we wanted them to serve us (in OV )  Granted,the  ship was not at 100% capacity .  We said "NO thank you!"  We are cruising  Xmas/NYE and have no problem with helping ourselves in OV. 

7 hours ago, Projunior said:

Why don't those who are so concerned about pathogens in the Oceanview collect their food, set it down on their table and then go wash their hands before eating? I assume that they themselves didn't put their fingers in their mouths while collecting their food so any germs that inadvertently ended up on their hands should no longer be a problem. 

It is not just the pathogens.  Many of the passengers just make a mess.  I have also seen people take some food onto their plate and then put it back.

12 hours ago, Projunior said:

while the not quite hot enough food gets colder!. I take my own santizer