keyless entry info please

Carol28

We will be sailing on the Beyond which advertises a keyless entry. A cellphone is needed instead of some type of key or card.  I don't want to carry my cellphone around the ship. I prefer the keycard (that looks like a credit card.)  Will Celebrity have that choice for me?

When you arrive you will have your room SeaPass in a sealed envelope on the door mail slot.   You can use your SeaPass or your phone.   Very few people use their phone.   I use it occasionally when I forget my SeaPass instead of running down to the front desk.

• Like 1

I was not aware my phone could be used to open my door.  Carry my phone about on board?  No. Love the app for seeing menus.  Read the daily and fold it up for activity schedule.  DW writes her plan on a post-it note and attaches it to her Seapass.  

Edited by Arizona Wildcat

4 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

I was not aware my phone could be used to open my door.  Carry my phone about on board?  No. Love the app for seeing menus.  Read the daily and fold it up for activity schedule.  DW writes her plan on a post-it note and attaches it to her Seapass.  

It's a bit clunky (surprise surprise).   You have to Open App -  Slide to the icons at the bottom to Key -  It installs an electronic key to phone  then you tap the reader on the door.    Why bother when you can just pull your key out and  tap.    But like I said when locked out it's step saver.

32 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

But like I said when locked out it's step saver.

This is really the only reason to use the phone-version of your room key, i.e., you've forgotten/lost your SeaPass cards. Even if you carry your mobile about all the time, as I do (the Celebrity app is handy for much more than just the key thing), it's still wayyy easier to wave your cabin key in front of the door handle than to unlock your phone, launch the app, scroll to the "key card" thing, etc.

Bottom line, though, is you will have a choice to use one or both, whichever you prefer.

cjr

It's too bad Celebrity hasn't come up with its own version of the Princess Medallion. The DW and I found that very convenient when it came to opening the cabin door and for other functionality around the ship. No card, no phone.  (But don't get me started on their app...yikes...lol...)

Maybe they will come up with something in the future...besides, it's certainly not that big a deal... 

On 11/4/2022 at 1:18 PM, Jim_Iain said:

When you arrive you will have your room SeaPass in a sealed envelope on the door mail slot.   You can use your SeaPass or your phone.   Very few people use their phone.   I use it occasionally when I forget my SeaPass instead of running down to the front desk.

I used my phone on my Edge cruise this year. Worked the first 3 times then stopped guest relations said drop by and they will reset. Who wants to spend time in line at GR for that. I used my key card after that. 

1 hour ago, Cruiseoholic000 said:

Using your phone/Celebrity app to unlock your cabin door only work on newer ships or fleet wide?

I believe it works on most if not all ships.   I heard somewhere that Infinity had not had the door locks upgraded to RFID and still use the magnetic stripe readers.   If that's true then it wouldn't work there.

On 11/4/2022 at 11:33 AM, dlh015 said:

It's too bad Celebrity hasn't come up with its own version of the Princess Medallion. The DW and I found that very convenient when it came to opening the cabin door and for other functionality around the ship. No card, no phone.  (But don't get me started on their app...yikes...lol...)

Maybe they will come up with something in the future...besides, it's certainly not that big a deal... 

I liked it, too. However, I wish it were a bit more restrictive as to distance from the door for unlocking. I could hear my aft door unlock as I was rounding the corner, at least four meters away from my door. That's not so bad on a long, straight corridor, where I can see if anyone is near my door, and can stand back and wait. From a basic safety standpoint, it would be better if the door didn't unlock until the user is within a meter or maybe 5 feet or so. 

Otherwise, it was really nice. I appreciated the other conveniences the medallion provided and not having to pull out a card for ordering drinks. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cruiseoholic000 said:

Using your phone/Celebrity app to unlock your cabin door only work on newer ships or fleet wide?

It worked during our Constellation cruise today. 

8 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Hmmm…it would be nice if you could configure your smart watch to do it.  Just wave it at the lock, like I did my bracelet on MSC. If my iPhone can do it, I’ll bet my Apple Watch can, too.  EM

That seems reasonable. 
Apple wallet works on the watch, the watch can be used to open dormitory doors… I’d imagine that opening hotel and cruise ship doors isn’t too far behind (if it isn’t here already). 

On 11/4/2022 at 12:27 PM, Arizona Wildcat said:

I was not aware of this either. Last cruise went to the Retreat Concierge twice to get another key as we forgot ours in our room.

Thanks for the info!!

29 minutes ago, Cruise Gopher said:

Carnival Corp has massive patents on lockdown for this technology so don’t expect it to come to Celebrity, Royal, or any other cruise line anytime soon. 

https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Carnival-Corp-wins-patents-for-Ocean-Medallion

Thanks for the info! I'm not at all surprised...

10 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Hmmm…it would be nice if you could configure your smart watch to do it.  Just wave it at the lock, like I did my bracelet on MSC. If my iPhone can do it, I’ll bet my Apple Watch can, too.  EM

There has been a pretty long thread in the last week asking about the Apple Watch and its usefulness on board.  Bottom line, it won’t work for opening stateroom doors

14 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

The MSC is all setup and ready to go when you put it on.  Folks still have trouble getting online.

5 hours ago, MamaFej said:

That seems reasonable. 
Apple wallet works on the watch, the watch can be used to open dormitory doors… I’d imagine that opening hotel and cruise ship doors isn’t too far behind (if it isn’t here already). 

This does solve the problem of Celebrity having to pay to develop and maintain a watch app however I just don't think enough people have the watch or care to use their watch to open the door to invest into this.

4 hours ago, Cruise Gopher said:

Carnival Corp has massive patents on lockdown for this technology so don’t expect it to come to Celebrity, Royal, or any other cruise line anytime soon. 

https://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Carnival-Corp-wins-patents-for-Ocean-Medallion

MSC already has the same thing.  Also while very doubtful, any cruise line is welcome to work a deal to license this or just copy the tech and pay the infringement fine