Princess stopping all laundry self serve and otherwise on Majestic Princess

marie94949

Is this a new policy?  I am packing for a 3 week trip including 13 days cruise on the Majestic Princess.   A guest on the current Nov. 20th sailing is reporting...

Last night we got a notice under the door reminding us about masks and also advising that guest laundry facilities will be suspended until further notice and bed linen and towels will only be changed on request. The self serve laundrette is also closed. Guess will have to buy more clothes as we are on her for 26 days!

20 minutes ago, Princessfan20 said:

When we did our first cruise with Princess last January under their strict Covid protocols laundry rooms were not available and then on later cruises they we restricted for use.

Seems bizarre and passenger unfriendly.  Why is the laundry room a high risk area?  Worse than elevators?   Please explain Princess.

• Like 3

Hopefully by the time your cruise time arrives this will not be the policy!  That would definitely be an issue for me as I tend to pack pretty light and depend on doing laundry.  Of course...the Plan B for this would just be to depend on the ship doing the laundry.  It might not be what you want...but at least it *is* a workable solution!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Hopefully by the time your cruise time arrives this will not be the policy!  That would definitely be an issue for me as I tend to pack pretty light and depend on doing laundry.  Of course...the Plan B for this would just be to depend on the ship doing the laundry.  It might not be what you want...but at least it *is* a workable solution!

Gosh, I don't know about this. The OP said "guest laundry facilities will be suspended until further notice and bed linen and towels will only be changed on request. The self serve laundrette is also closed."  Doesn't that look like Princess won't be doing passengers' laundry as well as self-serve being closed? If that's the case, then I don't see how a long cruise would be feasible.

3 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

Gosh, I don't know about this. The OP said "guest laundry facilities will be suspended until further notice and bed linen and towels will only be changed on request. The self serve laundrette is also closed."  Doesn't that look like Princess won't be doing passengers' laundry as well as self-serve being closed? If that's the case, then I don't see how a long cruise would be feasible.

Ah! You may very well be right.  I missed that tidbit.  That would definitely be a big issue for A LOT of people who regularly depend on the ship laundry service.  I sure hope that's not what was meant but based on the wording from the OP that's what is being said.

• Like 1

Could be a maintenance issue? Those giant ship washers/driers can have problems, too,  just like the ones at home. And even those that are working need periodic maintenance. One of my BILs works as a contractor doing this work, and frequently does it during cruises, not just during refit.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

Isn’t this the ship that had over 800 covid cases, coming into Sydney, just recently?  It needs extreme measures to sanitize everything.

That could be why. Ask someone OB, why?

Your cruise may be okay.  

Completely agree.

I wouldn’t be going on that ship if it’s that bad.  Need the sheets changed and laundry.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dog said:

Completely agree.

I wouldn’t be going on that ship if it’s that bad.  Need the sheets changed and laundry.

I am going on that ship next week.  13 day cruise plus three days travel to Australia and back no laundry?  You don't catch Covid from a ship - you catch it from other people.  Of course they will change the sheets but I still need laundry.  I can't bring enough clothes for 16 days no laundry.

Edited by marie94949
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, mom says said:

Could be a maintenance issue? Those giant ship washers/driers can have problems, too,  just like the ones at home. And even those that are working need periodic maintenance. One of my BILs works as a contractor doing this work, and frequently does it during cruises, not just during refit.

IMHO that's a lot more plausible than covid. Laundry room has been open on all 6 of my cruises since restart. 8/15/21 & 12/9/21= free tokens. Then 4/22 not even a token slot on the machines. Other 3 were same as before. 

Is this happening on any other ship? Or is it just an Australian thing?

Edited by Ombud

There goes the 3-4 day turn around for Elite "free" Laundry.  You will be lucky to get it back before you get off the ship.

I would like to know the reason behind such a policy.  

Edited by cr8tiv1

11 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

There goes the 3-4 day turn around for Elite "free" Laundry.  You will be lucky to get it back before you get off the ship.

I would like to know the reason behind such a policy.  

Yes, perhaps the OP that started this thread could get clarification on the reason?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dog said:

Less crew- due to Covid?

Then why the self serve laundry room? Wonder if all the waste water from both main laundry and the guest laundry tie together before the waste tank and there is a leak before the tank. Where's Da Chief to tell us if this is a maintenance problem.

• Like 1

I have never used either self- or ship laundry on a cruise.  Many years ago on a back to back, I used a "fluff and fold," I think it is called, at a laundromat in San Juan Puerto Rico.  Dropped all my dirty laundry off in the morning and picked it up before we sailed that same day.  

But I don't do long cruises-- usually 7 or 10 days.

19 minutes ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

That is disconcerting! Is anyone currently on the Majestic who could report to us? Perhaps the person who commented that they’re closed could ask Guest Services. That’s a really big deal.

You could read their roll call and ask if you want?

Sounds more like an isolated issue with the Magestic in Australia.

The OP didn’t come back on to comment on this thread.

On 11/18/2022 at 1:37 PM, Yehootu said:

Then why the self serve laundry room? Wonder if all the waste water from both main laundry and the guest laundry tie together before the waste tank and there is a leak before the tank. Where's Da Chief to tell us if this is a maintenance problem.

As I posted elsewhere, my theory is the laundry room uses a lot of the ships ventilation capacity to get rid of the moisture from drying clothes.  The ships total ventilation capacity (fan power, exhaust and fresh air intake) has an upper limit.  They want to use this ventilation elsewhere in the ship to reduce covid transmission.

• Thanks 1