The Fleet Report and Daily for Thursday November 24th, 2022

richwmn

Just a quick note that I made it back from Waco safely.  The roads had time to drain and were not bad until about 10 miles from the other side of town.  Part of the road has been resurfaced and wasn't bad.

BTW, I found out why we had the stryerfoam containers at lunch.  It seems the appliancee gremlins struck their dishwasher about a week ago, you can't pick a commercial one up at the big box store.  Maybe the gremlins have moved on to bigger appliances.

I got the small tree I ordered up this morning early, but I have to wait on the ornament hangers to arrive Saturday to finish decorating it.  This year it just was too much to put up the 7 foot tree.  Besides, I don’t know where we could put it safely.  Instead, I took over DH's desk in the livingroom for it.

Since there is not much to do the rest of the afternoon, I'm going to be a messy baker and make the gingerbread dough.  I remembered to put my Culinary Arts Center apron on over my dark brown jeans.  I just hope I remember it tomorrow morning when I roll out and bake the cookies.  That's when I get really messy.  Tomorrow will be a good day for baking since I have to stick around to sign for the new wheel.

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Dinner tonight was a success, so much that I almost wished I had guests. There was, in fact, quite a lot of schnitzel, and while a honeynut squash is only half the size of a butternut, that's still a lot of squash. I'm glad that I baked only one.

I was uncertain about the hawaij spice blend, because I didn't really like the aroma of it, but I did like the flavor when the chicken was done. I added typical pumpkin-pie spices to the squash, but no sugar or anything, because it seemed sweeter than butternut squash.

The Grüner Veltliner was a kosher one from Austria. I had had no idea that any kosher wine was produced in Austria. We also grow it in this region; Austrian and German grapes, such as Riesling and Lemberger (Blaufränkisch in Austria) tend to grow well here. I think I've drunk a little too much of it. Next week I'll be back to cardboardeaux.

There's fruitcake for later, if I want it.

• Like 17

11 hours ago, dfish said:

For those who are cooking and  hosting, I hope you will share a picture of the dinner you prepare.  Today's meal is a traditional Thanksgiving dinner.  What is traditional depends on your family heritage as well as the region of the country you live in.  If you'd like, share a recipe of one of your favorite traditional Thanksgiving dishes!

Well, I'm really neither cooking or hosting (just throwing some stuff in the oven or stove top but here's mine.

tgdinner001.jpg.20724c66ba27f507692a705f7ae9a88a.jpg

Not really much to say about the corn.  When  I grew up in Central New York Wax beans were more popular than green beans and I still prefer them.   What I can get here are higher in sodium than green beans, so they're saved for special occasions.  I love ham but there's also a bit of tradition behind it. I closed on my house on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving in 1970.  At the time stores closed early on that Wednesday and the selection at the neighborhood convenience store was limited.  That ham was cooked in my camping mess kit and consumed on a folding card table and chair but I still enjoyed it.  There's no tradition on the Key Lime Pie but I saw it in the store yesterday and decided why not.

Roy

PS: Next year I'm planning an easy thanksgiving.  For Canadian Thanksgiving (10/9) I'll be on QM2 in Sydney, Nova Scotia, and 11/23 will be my final sea day on the Rotterdam.

Edited by rafinmd
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 3

I am loving all the Thanksgiving stories.   @rafinmd Roy, your Thanksgiving meal looks ok by me.  Key Lime Pie always makes everything better.  It does sound like you have planned for next year much better.  I, too, like wax beans much better than green beans.  They are hard to find here.  

@kochleffel That wine sounds good.  And I love schnitzel.  

@marshhawk So, what happened with the Autumn/Harvest Gold mixer?   I have a new one coming tomorrow.  We had to whip cream by hand with a whisk.  I have new appreciation for my great grandmother's era.  Your chicken story made me laugh.  

@Quartzsite Cruiser here's hoping the gingerbread dough turned out just fine.  And that you aren't wearing too much of the flour on your dark brown jeans.  

Here's some pics from our dinner tonight.   @Seasick Sailor the brussels sprouts and cauliflower were a hit!

IMG_2033.thumb.jpg.0434629ac2c8de523dcc7049266e791d.jpg

My new kitchen made cooking a large meal so much easier.  I actually had places to put things!  

IMG_2036.thumb.jpg.344356ce5d560f299dbbb22ba0a8008e.jpg

This dish was a winner.

fireplace.thumb.jpg.515b11662455e4874d073355289b7ee3.jpg

And we all enjoyed relaxing around the fire.  

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

39 minutes ago, dfish said:

I am loving all the Thanksgiving stories.   @rafinmd Roy, your Thanksgiving meal looks ok by me.  Key Lime Pie always makes everything better.  It does sound like you have planned for next year much better.  I, too, like wax beans much better than green beans.  They are hard to find here.  

@kochleffel That wine sounds good.  And I love schnitzel.  

@marshhawk So, what happened with the Autumn/Harvest Gold mixer?   I have a new one coming tomorrow.  We had to whip cream by hand with a whisk.  I have new appreciation for my great grandmother's era.  Your chicken story made me laugh.  

@Quartzsite Cruiser here's hoping the gingerbread dough turned out just fine.  And that you aren't wearing too much of the flour on your dark brown jeans.  

Here's some pics from our dinner tonight.   @Seasick Sailor the brussels sprouts and cauliflower were a hit!

IMG_2033.thumb.jpg.0434629ac2c8de523dcc7049266e791d.jpg

My new kitchen made cooking a large meal so much easier.  I actually had places to put things!  

IMG_2036.thumb.jpg.344356ce5d560f299dbbb22ba0a8008e.jpg

This dish was a winner.

fireplace.thumb.jpg.515b11662455e4874d073355289b7ee3.jpg

And we all enjoyed relaxing around the fire.  

Debbie, I lived up to my reputation as a messy baker, but the apron protected the jeans, so far.  I can't say the same thing about the countertop and floor.  It didn't help that I knocked the almost full bottle of cinnamon over twice.  And I waited to have wine until after I finished.  Maybe that was the problem.

All that may change since I'm about to make the royal icing for the cookies.  Powdered sugar is worse than flour.  If that's not enough, the flour has another chance to attack the jeans when I roll the dough in the morning.

Glad your dinner was a success and the new kitchen made cooking easier.  Hope the turkey was as good as it looked.

Lenda

• Like 15

@dfish I said a short prayer before plugging in the mixer.  And I told it not to act like yours, all was going well, and then it stopped working....the cord had fallen out.  All's well.

Everything came out fine, Donna was a great guest.  She brought over some weird Danish dish that was congealed cucumber salad.  Congealed in mayo and cream cheese.  Enough to feed 40 people, and she left it with us.  and then DH said, you know that thing that Donna brought over?  i dont like it.  oh well, i thought i might pawn if off on the book club folks, only to find out tonight that one of them has covid, so who knows about book club.  And even though there was 4 pounds of chicken, I'm thinking that 2 of those pounds was the frozen water center, and bone.  I'm heavy on the stuffing, and corn bread pudding and short on every thing else.  Sounds like stuffing sandwiches for me.

I hope you all had a wonderful day!

• Like 11
  • Haha 4

Happy Thanksgiving!  Just decompressing after hosting dinner today. I highly recommend Ina Garten’s recipe for dry brining and preparing the turkey in advance of your guests arriving, a game changer for us!  I’m too pooped to comment on all of today’s selections but not too pooped to say that I’m thankful for all of the friendship and camaraderie that this daily thread gives.  Prayers for everyone that needs them.  Cheers to those celebrating happy events! All right, I have to add that San Juan is our favorite port to sail out of for our Caribbean cruises.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

Debbie, I lived up to my reputation as a messy baker, but the apron protected the jeans, so far.  I can't say the same thing about the countertop and floor.  It didn't help that I knocked the almost full bottle of cinnamon over twice.  And I waited to have wine until after I finished.  Maybe that was the problem.

All that may change since I'm about to make the royal icing for the cookies.  Powdered sugar is worse than flour.  If that's not enough, the flour has another chance to attack the jeans when I roll the dough in the morning.

Glad your dinner was a success and the new kitchen made cooking easier.  Hope the turkey was as good as it looked.

Lenda

I'm sure waiting on the wine was the problem.  Motion tends to be more fluid with the addition of wine and you would have knocked over the cinnamon once and then just scooped it up as you needed it.  

I also chuckled about the earlier story about the appliance gremlins.  Let them go for the commercial appliances for a while.  And if they are going to hit one of mine, please make it the fridge.  This one is ok, but not my favorite design.  

34 minutes ago, marshhawk said:

@dfish I said a short prayer before plugging in the mixer.  And I told it not to act like yours, all was going well, and then it stopped working....the cord had fallen out.  All's well.

Everything came out fine, Donna was a great guest.  She brought over some weird Danish dish that was congealed cucumber salad.  Congealed in mayo and cream cheese.  Enough to feed 40 people, and she left it with us.  and then DH said, you know that thing that Donna brought over?  i dont like it.  oh well, i thought i might pawn if off on the book club folks, only to find out tonight that one of them has covid, so who knows about book club.  And even though there was 4 pounds of chicken, I'm thinking that 2 of those pounds was the frozen water center, and bone.  I'm heavy on the stuffing, and corn bread pudding and short on every thing else.  Sounds like stuffing sandwiches for me.

I hope you all had a wonderful day!

Just throw out that cucumber stuff.  And tell the mixer how good it was to work when plugged in properly.

• Like 11
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, dfish said:

I'm sure waiting on the wine was the problem.  Motion tends to be more fluid with the addition of wine and you would have knocked over the cinnamon once and then just scooped it up as you needed it.  

I also chuckled about the earlier story about the appliance gremlins.  Let them go for the commercial appliances for a while.  And if they are going to hit one of mine, please make it the fridge.  This one is ok, but not my favorite design.  

Just throw out that cucumber stuff.  And tell the mixer how good it was to work when plugged in properly.

You're probably right about the wine.  I did scoop up some of the cinnamon, but there was more on the counter than in four batches of cookie dough. 

I hope I'm not jinxing things --the jeans are still brown.

Lenda

• Like 7
  • Haha 7

14 hours ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!

We are looking forward to a lovely relaxing day today.  For those who are cooking and  hosting, I hope you will share a picture of the dinner you prepare.  Today's meal is a traditional Thanksgiving dinner.  What is traditional depends on your family heritage as well as the region of the country you live in.  If you'd like, share a recipe of one of your favorite traditional Thanksgiving dishes!

A late Happy Thanksgiving to all.

We just finished eating and DF just left. I’m really done cooking for several days, and so stuffed that I’m probably done eating for the same amount of time.

We have had Santa Ana winds all day, so using the Big Green Egg was out. Instead, our “splatted” turkey went in the oven. It was really good and I look forward to doing one on the BGE in the future. 

CBA09CB3-05D0-4EC0-BC16-8393FF0EC6D3.thumb.jpeg.dc6625a871934d65bfbdc974236f2b66.jpeg
Spinach salad with apple, cranberry, feta and dried cranberries 

CDB2AB76-181D-4130-9118-BCE8909F2BB3.thumb.jpeg.3e766bdbe558b794ac10a982c3e035b2.jpeg

Squash soup with apple and dried cherries 

8256F9DB-ABD2-4F42-864A-97A8587A6688.thumb.jpeg.68f9c9f6b4f322ce91d2bad605c83440.jpeg

The turkey 

67A4ED80-DC41-4873-AE41-97199BBFD37D.thumb.jpeg.0c92b7f52cab93e17849d2e64d62b248.jpeg

Those are the stuffing biscuits someone posted a few days ago 

8256F9DB-ABD2-4F42-864A-97A8587A6688.thumb.jpeg.68f9c9f6b4f322ce91d2bad605c83440.jpeg

978F3A62-703C-4FAD-85C0-32F71CC69A29.thumb.jpeg.4d54ac8e57e1bef24fe4e21078e54977.jpeg
raspberry cobbler with homemade vanilla gelato 

596BE70C-DDA9-4655-9B54-8EBC5D57602D.jpeg
This wine was suggested by one of the staff at Total Wines. It was a great pairing with the soup and salad, and the main dinner. I’m not usually a white wine drinker.

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 21

14 hours ago, kazu said:

Not celebrating any of the days today - instead I will celebrate DH’s birthday although it’s a sad celebration.  Trying to remember the good times 💔 

@kazu, it's late into the day but I'm sending hugs -- HUGE HUGS -- with the hope they will comfort you through the night.

-Melisa

• Like 11

5 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

A late Happy Thanksgiving to all.

We just finished eating and DF just left. I’m really done cooking for several days, and so stuffed that I’m probably done eating for the same amount of time.

We have had Santa Ana winds all day, so using the Big Green Egg was out. Instead, our “splatted” turkey went in the oven. It was really good and I look forward to doing one on the BGE in the future. 

CBA09CB3-05D0-4EC0-BC16-8393FF0EC6D3.thumb.jpeg.dc6625a871934d65bfbdc974236f2b66.jpeg

CDB2AB76-181D-4130-9118-BCE8909F2BB3.thumb.jpeg.3e766bdbe558b794ac10a982c3e035b2.jpeg

67A4ED80-DC41-4873-AE41-97199BBFD37D.thumb.jpeg.0c92b7f52cab93e17849d2e64d62b248.jpeg

978F3A62-703C-4FAD-85C0-32F71CC69A29.thumb.jpeg.4d54ac8e57e1bef24fe4e21078e54977.jpeg

596BE70C-DDA9-4655-9B54-8EBC5D57602D.jpeg

Looks delicious but I’m still stuffed!😊

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

We celebrated today with our tradition of watching the Detroit Lions lose yet another Thanksgiving Day game. And, to add insult to injury, the Lion's holiday game losing record was a question on Jeopardy tonight. Ouch!

But, despite the Lions, there are many things to be thankful for -- including all of you wonderful, supportive Daily-ites,

-Melisa

• Like 13

Happy Thanksgiving to Everyone!

I haven't posted in ages, but I try to take a few minutes everyday to read the posts.  It helps me to realize I am not the only one going through life's ups and downs.  The posts that you share of cruises and ports are really enjoyed.  I realize that one day I may see some of them,  I have a bucket list growing after reading of your adventures!

Dad's dementia is getting worse, I am over at his house 1-3 times a day, depending on my brother and step sisters schedules.  We have had some  good caretakers and but frequent "call outs"  so it makes scheduling things a mess.  He started with a hoarse voice and low grade fever Tuesday fortunately with some nebulizer treatments, he seems to be doing okay.

All the kids and Grands were supposed to be here for dinner today finally a gathering after so long!  But then one Grandaughter tested positive for the Influenza A and they canceled plans to come.  Then # 3 daughter and family have got an upper respiratory bug and stayed home!  But we had a nice dinner with my oldest daughter and her family and my Mom.  She enjoyed seeing the two Great Grandsons!

We definitely has too much to eat, all of it too good!  Told hubby I am not cooking for the next three days...............we will survive on leftovers!

I am Thankful for CruiseCritic and the adventures we can share.  Stay well.

Denise

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

15 hours ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone!

We are looking forward to a lovely relaxing day today.  For those who are cooking and  hosting, I hope you will share a picture of the dinner you prepare.  Today's meal is a traditional Thanksgiving dinner.  What is traditional depends on your family heritage as well as the region of the country you live in.  If you'd like, share a recipe of one of your favorite traditional Thanksgiving dishes!

54849f9c870936aa4345ec4ed197875b-thanksgiving-pictures-thanksgiving-quotes.jpg.2e26362d9950a452a5df3d162ea3ce1f.jpg

I make my cornbread dressing very similar to Lenda @Quartzsite Cruiser’s but use store bought cornbread mix and regular bread mix, so two boxes, and use Mrs Cubbisons. I also add breakfast sausage, usually Jimmy Dean, and two eggs. This year it came out especially good. I forgot to take a picture. I also make a spinach soufflé. Ina Garten’s is really good and I add two eggs which help to make it puffy. 
ED149F5B-B1EB-4E55-A236-0020FE3C4B3E.thumb.jpeg.bf13863d096bd204d929203f3dae9988.jpeg

Recipe:  https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/spinach-gratin-recipe-1940406

15 hours ago, kazu said:

Thanks for our Thursday Daily, Rich.

A very happy Thanksgiving to all of our friends South of the Border!

5C0680EA-665C-494C-854C-81ED19997EA3.jpeg.d3b0fd084065e7a25ce34e6ea35e18ca.jpeg

Not celebrating any of the days today - instead I will celebrate DH’s birthday although it’s a sad celebration.  Trying to remember the good times 💔 

39A60CDE-2B09-4258-BDA0-BC1CAB99DCEC.thumb.jpeg.82b9a26f4bac1a0511c9357f88d908f0.jpeg

Love the quote by Anne Frank - heck I loved all her quotes - such an optimistic, brave young lady with all that she faced.

My luggage finally arrived yesterday afternoon.  I guess today I will tackle unpacking - bound to be a mess trying to save trips upstairs 😉 

8142FACF-7A20-4DB2-9610-47FEA8089BBA.thumb.jpeg.63c7a49e6a00822c060f7391485eadd2.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them and a 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Thursday &/ Thanksgiving everyone and stay safe.

Happy Heavenly Birthday to Jose. 

11 hours ago, smitty34877 said:

@kazu,Wishing Jose a happy heavenly birthday today.Days like this can be bittersweet. 

@JazzyV,I am so sorry that you had to cancel but I am sure the worry about the family member  has been difficult for you both  

We are not Italian  but our neighborhood was and my mom started a tradition  of spinach lasagna that I make every year. Will provide the recipe tomorrow. 

I can’t wait for your recipe!

11 hours ago, JazzyV said:

Well, after talking with BFF’s DF’s doctor, we are heading home and cancelling our cruise. 

Vanessa, I’m so sorry about the cancellation and hope BFF’s DF is well. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Boston said:

Happy Thanksgiving!  Just decompressing after hosting dinner today. I highly recommend Ina Garten’s recipe for dry brining and preparing the turkey in advance of your guests arriving, a game changer for us!  I’m too pooped to comment on all of today’s selections but not too pooped to say that I’m thankful for all of the friendship and camaraderie that this daily thread gives.  Prayers for everyone that needs them.  Cheers to those celebrating happy events! All right, I have to add that San Juan is our favorite port to sail out of for our Caribbean cruises.

I have done that recipe and agree, it’s fantastic!

Happy Anniversary to Ann and DH @Vict0riann!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

After reading about everyone’s Thanksgiving meals I’m starving. I looked here in Florence for maybe a turkey pizza but no luck (which may have been a good thing) and ended up with a bag of peanuts and some granola. We were too tired after our 2 tours and walking back from the  Uffizi Gallery to move again. Take care everyone.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, HAL Sailer said:

We celebrated today with our tradition of watching the Detroit Lions lose yet another Thanksgiving Day game. And, to add insult to injury, the Lion's holiday game losing record was a question on Jeopardy tonight. Ouch!

But, despite the Lions, there are many things to be thankful for -- including all of you wonderful, supportive Daily-ites,

-Melisa

We joined you in watching the Lions lose.  But, the bright side is that they didn't get blown out.

• Like 3