Jim_Iain - Solstice LIVE Mexico Riveria B2B - December 3 and 11

Jim_Iain

Jim I would love to say that I will be following your review but I am going to be far too busy having fun on this cruise also. 😝 This is going to be our first cruise since COVID and we are really looking forward to it. This is actually one we rebooked after we cancelled ours last year when Omicron came out a few weeks before we were supposed to leave. Feel free to say hi if you see us on board. Jeff and Jeff here.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

We are much milder than you in Florida.    We don't get humidity and most of the time Summer temps are between 70-80 but nights are in the 60's-70's.   We are suppose to get some rain later this week and may be also showers in LA for our departure.   After a 3 year drought we almost do a happy rain dance when we do get rains.

I've also never sailed out of San Pedro and will report on the experience.   Still trying to figure out if we take the shuttle to the LAX-IT lot for Uber or just pay the premium for Black and grab from the terminal. 

I'm aware of the climate differences as I spent a lot of time in California.  Had clients out there and my son was stationed there for many years.  I could not afford to live there, however.  What's interesting is that many Californians are moving to Florida now.  And of course, driving real estate prices up.

Bon Voyage Jim and Iain.  i am looking forward to your comments about Mexico as it is a destination that has never interested me so maybe you can change my mind.

Wonderful that you can throw away your glasses after cataract surgery.  Same thing happened to me 5 years ago after wearing glasses for 40 years.

• Like 1

Have a great cruise!  I will be boarding as you are disembarking.  Looking forward to your take on San Pedro and your experiences in Cabo and PV.  I have booked a winery tour for Ensenada but not sure if that will happen as it falls on Christmas day.  Still, Celebrity has a full list of excursions posted for that day so here's hoping.

Marilyn

Hi Guys, looking forward to following along again. Mexican Riviera was our first cruise back in 2001 on the Carnival Elation. we paired it up with visiting some British friends who were living and working in LA.
 At the moment we have nothing booked until September 23 on the Silhouette out of Southampton.

Enjoy.

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Everything is doing well.   I have an appointment on Thursday and get the stitches removed.  Yuck.   The Doctor said it is painless but I'm squeamish.    I didn't even realize there were still stitches after 8 weeks.

The good point is they did a cataract surgery at the same time and I no longer have to wear glasses. 

Glad to see this (no pun intended 🤣)

Enjoy your trips, I'm excited to follow along since I have to wait until March for my next cruise.

Hi, Jim.

We'll be joining you on Dec 3rd cruise as well. We will drive over Friday from the Phoenix area to LA.

I'm mostly a lurker on these boards, but I've always thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts.  

I look forward to seeing you and Iain aboard.  We've been on at least one other cruise with you both, but I've been too shy to approach.

Enjoy the B2B...we're still working but dreaming of someday soon when we'll be able to take more time.

See you on board the Solstice!

2 hours ago, scrapcreator said:

Welcome to Southern California. We've never sailed out of California on Celebrity but we'd love to take a Pacific Coastal cruise someday. Maybe a Mexican Riviera if the price is right. The first Celebrity ship we sailed on was the Solstice to Alaska.

Looking forward to your live report.

We're doing a 7 night out of LA (San Pedro/Long Beach) on 8 October on the Eclipse. Not a bad itinerary. Check it out. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

Just got off Solstice last Saturday.  Had a great cruise, although we would have preferred Mazatlan to Ensenada... but we live just north of San Diego, so it was great being able to drive to the port.  We had first check in at 11:30 and have never had such a fast experience... 10 min from terminal doorway to ship door.

All of the staff were extremely friendly.  We dine only in Oceanview and will say that it was the best variety and quality of food we have had in years.  Plenty of staff walking around clearing tables and we heard many were new.  They did a superb job!

Shows in the theatre were excellent.  Production shows were very good... and in 7 nights they did at least 3 shows (although Amadea is not our favorite, it wasn't their fault).  Walk on performers were all very good as well.

Sounds like your passenger count may be a bit lower than ours... Thanksgiving week certainly had a different vibe than we are used to.  Had around 2000 passengers, of which 350 were children with parents who let them run amok in the SkyLounge, playing hide and seek and screaming... lol... we survived, but like a little quieter environment.  There were so many family games/events going on everywhere around the ship.  They really did change things up for the population onboard.

Have a wonderful cruise... will be following to see how it goes for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'll be following along, as well. You may recall, @Jim_Iain, that PapaFej and I were originally on this cruise, but bowed out when our TA friend asked us to join him and his wife on a boots on the ground  Antarctic cruise that interfered at a price way too good to pass up. I look forward to cruising with you again (and maybe spending more than 45 seconds together) another time.

In the meantime, I'm in my motor home, camping along the CA coast, listening to the waves, and occasionally glacing at them when looking up from the Wrold Cup game OR CC.

Since a Lycheetini at the Martini Bar can't happen from here, I did salute @jelaynewith some Lychee tea this morning. I hope J, I, J, & G, as well as all of the other passengers have a delightful time! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mark_T said:

Excellent! ... always enjoy these posts and ever grateful that you take the time to make them...

We are just about 4 weeks away from our Australia/New Zealand cruise on Eclipse, another un-revolutionized 'S' class ship, so we look forward to your comments on Solstice.

We board the Eclipse on 14 January. Can't wait. Wishing you a wonderful cruise. Today is the first day of summer so I'm hoping it brings an improvement in the weather. Oops this might be the first hijack of Jim's live.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Redking said:

Happy cruising! Great to see you back. I was only thinking yesterday that it must be time to see Jim & Iain on the high seas again. How are your eyes?

Oops sorry I only just read news of your eye surgery. Great to hear and good luck with the stitches. Lots of deep breathing and haap thoughts!

Pulling up a chair of course!!

Ain't that cataract removal just the greatest?? I had to turn down the brightness on my computer display and my TVs when I got home. And I didn't realize how bright our house interior was!

Did you get the Near, Far, or bifocal lens??

3 hours ago, GenerationX said:

Yasss!  I’m so looking forward to going along on another Jim and Iain cruise!  

And this one will be especially helpful as I’m doing the Mexican Riviera cruise on Solstice in March (but with Catalina and Cabo as ports). I’ll have to make a stop for live review reading wine on my way home from work today!

That passenger count sounds heavenly to me, especially just after coming off the nearly full Beyond.

Safe, smooth, healthy travels and thank you   so much for taking us along!

Generation X- did I miss one of your reviews? When was your last one? I also love reading your posts.

Laura

Very glad your surgery went well. I am not squeamish as I have had two hip replacements and a couple of other surgeries with no worries, but surgery on my eye?...I don't know brother.

As I mentioned on another thread, very excited to follow along.